US-IMG and Current Physical Theraphist advise in matching to PMR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BRCA123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

Would like advise on matching to PMR US-IMG, Avg Step Scores, currently working as a physical therapist. Just recently matched to a Transitional Year but no advance program yet. She wants to continue as a Physiatrist and eventually rehab doctor.

Members don't see this ad.

Did he/she apply to PM&R before?

Members don't see this ad :)
She did but now she can apply to advance programs.

Yes, but advanced programs are 1-hard to come by and few in number, 2-selective. It's not that easy. PM&R has enjoyed grown popularity in recent years and has matched 100% for several years in a row via the traditional match. Landing a PGY-2 position is rare and not that easy. If your "friend" didn't match the first time, it's certainly not going to be easy to match into a PGY-2 position. I switched from Rads--> PM&R years ago and tried matching into a PGY-2 position with no luck, so landed a PGY-1. Your "friend" might need to go through the match again and/or find a back up

She did but now she can apply to advance programs.
It’s going to be really difficult. If she matched to a transitional and has already failed to match to PM&R once before, one would reason that she already failed to match to PM&R advanced programs. And if she only applied to categorical programs, perhaps had a horrible match strategy. As an average IMG student, she is a below average PM&R applicant. If she is going to reapply she needs to spare no expense…I’d apply broadly, but I’d also have a backup plan to a less competitive specialty. She simply cannot fail to match this time…it could very well be the end of the line.

Consider neurology residency then neurorehab fellowship. Easier to match I believe. May also have more advanced positions available.

She is doing PMR elective as a transitional year. Hopefully that would count.