knowing formulas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vargant

MS1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the MCAT, i know for the most part they will give you the formula, however, do you need to know some basic formulas as well to complete the question? Such as, the area of a circle is pi R^2

Members don't see this ad.

The formulas you need to know vary from test to test. I found this sheet to be useful http://www.mcatprep.net/frmlas.pdf for studying. However, its more important to be familiar and comfortable with the concepts than anything else. Most of the info that you need to know will be given within the passage text.

there were definitely a couple questions on my ps section that tested some basic formulas. like... W = Fdcos() or circumference = 2(pi)r

Members don't see this ad :)
The only formulas you truly need to know are in the EK physics and EK chemistry book and the Hardy Weinberg Equation for allele frequency: p2+2pq+q2 for biology. If you understand the concepts, then you truly don't need to memorize the formulas. MCAT tests understanding of concepts and is becoming more heavily passage-based. I would recommend first go over the concepts, then do practice tests. Good luck. Keep studying hard :)

Once you've done enough practice problems, you can't help but have them in your head. I couldn't forget them if I tried right now. Just keep doing practice problems.

Biology:

Just know HW equations

Chem: Rate laws & equilibrium are your friends. So is stoich

Orgo: None, really

Physics: Kinematics, dynamics, momentum, pressure, torque, etc. etc. Pretty much standard stuff.

It's hard to call down to the dot what formulae are put on the MCAT. Best bet is to understand the formulas (afterwards, memorization comes pretty easily, and if not, don't sweat it too much).

The above link was an excellent resource for a guideline to what formulae should be understood and possible memorized.