TUCOM - CA Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

I took the August MCAT. So, Touro CA held off granting me a secondary. My score has been released since August 12th and still no word on the secondary!! Is anyone on the same boat? How long does it take to get the notice from your experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am interviewing on Tuesday the 6th of Nov. THey send the package with "discount" lodging at the local Marriott and This "discount" comes about to be about 150 for the night w/ taxes included. Just wondering if anyone has interviewed there and what their lodging tips are, or, even better, if there are any students willing to host, aka, let me sleep on your couch. I will be at western interviewing later in the week and it is really nice that they send a list of students you can stay with. Thanks and happy saturday.

I am interviewing on Tuesday the 6th of Nov. THey send the package with "discount" lodging at the local Marriott and This "discount" comes about to be about 150 for the night w/ taxes included. Just wondering if anyone has interviewed there and what their lodging tips are, or, even better, if there are any students willing to host, aka, let me sleep on your couch. I will be at western interviewing later in the week and it is really nice that they send a list of students you can stay with. Thanks and happy saturday.

I interviewed there, but did not do the Marriott - Way to expensive. I got a hotel somewhere else for like $60 per night. Much cheaper.

anyone have "in-state" acceptance rates, etc for touro. all the grids ive found just say "no data" but the stats for oos are posted....

When I was there they said something like 51% of their matriculants are instate.

There is an amusement park across the street from my hotel and I'm bored, is that bad? Interview on Mare Island tomorrow... anyone else in Vallejo for an interview and bored today/tonight?

I really like everything I've heard about this place. I have an unofficial interview invite (no official invitation yet, but the director of admissions e-mailed me and told me that I would get a chance to interview). Great area though. Good cycling country, and I have family in San Francisco.

And by "family in San Francisco" I mean an uncle who is a microbiologist at Stanford. I would love to be around him and his scientist friends when I'm in med school. It would keep me focused.

I have an interview there tomorrow:

What can I expect? For those who stayed at the marriot, should we call the school to pick up up, or do they do it automatically?

I interviewed there, but did not do the Marriott - Way to expensive. I got a hotel somewhere else for like $60 per night. Much cheaper.

Just curious as to where you stayed? How you got from hotel to campus? How you got from airport to hotel, if you flew in? I am coming from Minneapolis, will be alone and not have a car. I have never been to S.F. , I guess SFO is a long way from Vallejo and I don't want to spend my plane tickets equivalent on making it the last 60 miles. I am extremely excited though.

I stayed at "Good Nite" Inn right next to the airport (SFO). In the morning, I just drove up there (took about an hour). It is quite a drive however.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi guys I just found out about SDN (its pretty rockin by the way)

but I have an interview at Touro MI the last week of october and I was needing to schedule my ticket. I was wondering if anyone knows how long the interview day lasts.

also is there anyone who lives in the area that would know how long it would take to drive from touro to san jose with the traffic after the interview.

is there anyone else interviewing on Oct. 29th?

hi guys I just found out about SDN (its pretty rockin by the way)

but I have an interview at Touro MI the last week of october and I was needing to schedule my ticket. I was wondering if anyone knows how long the interview day lasts.

also is there anyone who lives in the area that would know how long it would take to drive from touro to san jose with the traffic after the interview.

is there anyone else interviewing on Oct. 29th?

Hey hookem,

The interview day starts at 9am and lasts until 1:30 - 2p...the actual interview starts at 12p and lasts an hour, and lunch is served after the interview so you may want to bring a snack in case.

I'm from San Jose, and it took me about little bit over an hour to get back from Touro...there's really no traffic around 2-3p (took I-80W then I-880N). Had my interview there last week so let me know if you have any other questions.

hey boddhichita thanks a bunch

do you think id be able to make a 430 flight out of san jose international then? and do you think there would be a way to leave after the interview and not eat lunch?

thanks appreciate it

Hookem shouldn't you be watching football right now?

Just got my acceptance today. However, the 2,000 nonrefundable is a huge turn-off for me. I wish they would give you more time. Two weeks is not enough time for me to make an objective decision, so I'll probably end up not going there.

Hookem shouldn't you be watching football right now?

im in cali right now im waiting for it! i have the game tivo d at home as well, so Im tempted to call home to figure out whats happening

hook'em!

Tie game almost halftime. Were looking okay. Much better than last week. OU sucks

GO GATORS! LOL I thought I would add my two cents in about football...Im a Florida Gator! Gators vs. LSU Tigers in 2 hrs! :)

While im at it...how lond did it take all of you to hear back after your application was complete?

hey boddhichita thanks a bunch

do you think id be able to make a 430 flight out of san jose international then? and do you think there would be a way to leave after the interview and not eat lunch?

thanks appreciate it

I think it might be cutting it close...if you're leaving at 2p i'm guessing you'll get to the airport by 3:30p (I-880N will take you to the airport). Boarding will probably be at 4p so you'll have half an hour to drop-off your car, go through security and get to your gate, so you may make it but it might be close, especially with the unpredictability of security and traffic around the airport.

I think if you talked to the director of admissions (Dr. Haight), you could probably leave after the interview...he takes the opportunity during lunch to go over their admissions process, what the next steps are for you, when to expect a decision, and answer questions you may have. I'd probably try to find a later flight so as to not feel rushed, but that's just me.

GO GATORS! LOL I thought I would add my two cents in about football...Im a Florida Gator! Gators vs. LSU Tigers in 2 hrs! :)

While im at it...how lond did it take all of you to hear back after your application was complete?

About two weeks for me...I was complete early august I think.

How do these guys contact you about an interview? Is it e-mail?

I was informed by snail mail for an interview.

snail mail

i suggest everyone who is going to interview to call back and make sure you are complete...I called in and it turned out that they didnt even have me registered to interview there and so I had to reschedule it to Oct. 29th. (anyone else going that monday?)

Hey everyone!!

My interview is coming up soon, and I'm getting increasingly nervous because this is my first choice school... any advice????

There are only 2 interview feedbacks....I was just wondering... is this the kind of school where in the interview they're jus "trying to get to know you"?? I mean... I really want to be prepared and do well..

I'm excited to go see the school too! Anyone else interviewing there on the 15th?

Hey everyone!!

My interview is coming up soon, and I'm getting increasingly nervous because this is my first choice school... any advice????

There are only 2 interview feedbacks....I was just wondering... is this the kind of school where in the interview they're jus "trying to get to know you"?? I mean... I really want to be prepared and do well..

I'm excited to go see the school too! Anyone else interviewing there on the 15th?

Hey cabound,

Touro is my first choice school as well and luckily I recieved my acceptance last week, so i'm excited!

One thing that helped me was knowing the format of the interview beforehand: most likely 3 people will interview you (DO & basic science faculty, and a med student), along with 4-5 candidates in the same room - very unique and unheard of interview style, and because it is open file they can pretty much ask you anything from your application. This may sound intimidating at first since others can hear about stuff from your application, and because this is in a group setting rather than one-on-one, I found it enjoyable however as I got to learn about some of the wonderful things my fellow interviewees have done, and in many ways having a group like this was like a support group. Having said that, I think it is advantageous to get to know your fellow interviewees before the interview so as to not feel nervous in front of them (b/c i'm from San Jose, instead of driving directly to the campus I decided to drive to the Marriott and take the shuttle with the group to get to know them). Overall, I think mentally preparing yourself to expect this type of interview format makes it less stressful, rather than learning about it just before going into the interview room.

Also, make sure you're attentive to what others are saying as well during the interview, as I've heard that they could possibly ask you questions about what the other person just said (luckily this didn't happen to me, but being nervous can make you zone out). And definitely pack a snack since they feed you after the interview...my stomach could be heard across the room!

Overall, it seems they are looking at how you conduct yourself during the interview, and if you can maintain poise while developing and delivering your response since you are in a group setting. I'd recommend preparing yourself for questions regarding your reasons for medicine and DO, go over your application, and definitely check out the interview questions & feedback on SDN. Those that interviewed me were very nice, and as you mentioned, it felt like they just wanted to know more about me (my hobbies, clinical experiences, how do you learn best, what being a team member meant to me, etc.), and explain things on my application that may be questionable, so you should be prepared to answer any questions marks on your app, like poor grades or reasons for switching majors. But overall it was an enjoyable experience...I was a bit nervous at first but got more comfortable as the interview progressed. I'm sure you'll do fine...good luck and try to enjoy your interview day!

Hey cabound,

Touro is my first choice school as well and luckily I recieved my acceptance last week, so i'm excited!

One thing that helped me was knowing the format of the interview beforehand: most likely 3 people will interview you (DO & basic science faculty, and a med student), along with 4-5 candidates in the same room - very unique and unheard of interview style, and because it is open file they can pretty much ask you anything from your application. This may sound intimidating at first since others can hear about stuff from your application, and because this is in a group setting rather than one-on-one, I found it enjoyable however as I got to learn about some of the wonderful things my fellow interviewees have done, and in many ways having a group like this was like a support group. Having said that, I think it is advantageous to get to know your fellow interviewees before the interview so as to not feel nervous in front of them (b/c i'm from San Jose, instead of driving directly to the campus I decided to drive to the Marriott and take the shuttle with the group to get to know them). Overall, I think mentally preparing yourself to expect this type of interview format makes it less stressful, rather than learning about it just before going into the interview room.

Also, make sure you're attentive to what others are saying as well during the interview, as I've heard that they could possibly ask you questions about what the other person just said (luckily this didn't happen to me, but being nervous can make you zone out). And definitely pack a snack since they feed you after the interview...my stomach could be heard across the room!

Overall, it seems they are looking at how you conduct yourself during the interview, and if you can maintain poise while developing and delivering your response since you are in a group setting. I'd recommend preparing yourself for questions regarding your reasons for medicine and DO, go over your application, and definitely check out the interview questions & feedback on SDN. Those that interviewed me were very nice, and as you mentioned, it felt like they just wanted to know more about me (my hobbies, clinical experiences, how do you learn best, what being a team member meant to me, etc.), and explain things on my application that may be questionable, so you should be prepared to answer any questions marks on your app, like poor grades or reasons for switching majors. But overall it was an enjoyable experience...I was a bit nervous at first but got more comfortable as the interview progressed. I'm sure you'll do fine...good luck and try to enjoy your interview day!

Thank you for all the helpful advice! I can't wait for my interview... I hope I get in! I think they group dynamic is interesting, but it's definitely nice to have a heads up about that; it probably would have thrown me off guard a little!

so did you all fill out the secondary by hand? or did you use a computer or typewriter?

so did you all fill out the secondary by hand? or did you use a computer or typewriter?

From what I recall, you can fill out the secondary on the computer. It comes as an html form on your internet browser.

Hi,

I was recently accepted into Touro and am still deciding whether or not to attend. A lot of the decision will have to do with how the rotations are set up. I was hoping to get some more insight into what the rotation structure is at Touro, but I felt there was vagueness or lack of effort on the part of the Touro representatives to give a clear answer on rotations. From what I know, it's highly random where students get placed and there aren't many local program for students to do their rotations. But I could be wrong. Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks.

Hi,

I was recently accepted into Touro and am still deciding whether or not to attend. A lot of the decision will have to do with how the rotations are set up. I was hoping to get some more insight into what the rotation structure is at Touro, but I felt there was vagueness or lack of effort on the part of the Touro representatives to give a clear answer on rotations. From what I know, it's highly random where students get placed and there aren't many local program for students to do their rotations. But I could be wrong. Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks.

I feel the same way! I was accepted at Nova too and am leaning toward it simply b/c I know NOTHING about Touro's rotations and they were VERY vague about everything else (except the MPH program... not accredited: great, thanks!). I would REALLY rather go to school in SF than So FL, but the $2000 deposit and the looming 2 week deadline are KILLING me! Anyone have any input, positive/negative ANYTHING! Thanks,

-W

Anyone else going to be in SF the 28th and 29th. I'm from Michigan and want to wander SF on Sunday, if anyone would like to join me let me know. I don't know how I feel about wandering SF alone.

Im interviewing the 29th and Im flying in early on the 28th.

I have a 3.9 and a 24: 9P; 8v and 7bio; do you think I'll get an interview.

Thanks a lot

let me help you all in this process.

$2000 deposit: this helps the school figure out who really wants Touro as their #1 school. As many of you know, location, location, location is the number factor in choosing a med school and residency. Many of you want to be in the bay area and even before interviewing at touro, you know you want to go there. The interview helps seal the idea for you. The school is situated in a very sweet spot between the city, the east bay and wine country all within 45 minutes. Vallejo itself is a working class town, with potential in the future to develop nicely. The academics is like all institutions, you have wonderful teachers and not so good teachers. Some like the school, some regret going. Touro is heavily weighted on lecture style, rather than problem-based learning. The block cycles are great (5 weeks of classes and then 1 week straight testing) that allows you to breathe. The school also helps you, I think, more so than others (like western) to graduate with a 5 year track and remedial summer courses. Hardly anyone flunked out of my class (1 left for academic reasons out of 140, over 130 went on as 4 year track).

Rotations: There are so many rotation possibilities throughout the US:norcal, Michigan, Washington, NY, Pennsylvania, Southern California, Colorado. I think it is safe to say that you can go where you want for rotations within these areas through the lottery system. Much like the match, you put down your top 3 hospitals and the system will match you to the hospital you will rotate at for your entire third year. Most people get their first choice. There are about 35 spots to stay around the bay area and 40+ spots to stay in Socal. Pretty much everyone who wanted to stay in CA got to. I myself did not get to stay in the bay area, but I did get to stay CA in socal. Fourth year is very flexible, you have to do half your rotations at Touro affiliated hospitals and the other half you can go anywhere in the world. I've travelled extensively because of the flexibility touro has for 4th years.

Getting accepted: for the person who posted their stats on this thread, you have a very good chance. (Hoping that you really want to be a DO and that you have done a lot of extracurricular and that you are a nice charming person that will rock the interviews.) I know that it is so stressful to be on the other side, not knowing who will want you. It's okay, we've all been there. But beleive me, many of hours are wasted on thinking you will be rejected. Everything will work out the way the universe planned it and you should enjoy life to the fullest, worry as little as possible, and start learning to be your biggest advocate. I am also constantly catching myself from worrying too because I have submitted my residency applications and now I realize that med school is just the beginning of a long journey of acceptance/rejections. SO, live it up, forget about what you can't control and put your heart into the causes that will become the legacy you built. ;)

Thanks a lot. TOURO is my first choice because I live near and want to stay in the bay area. I appreciate the words of encouragement; It sounds great.:thumbup:

Anyone Interviewing on Nov 12th??? If so, where are you staying? I found a nearby hotel which is WAY cheaper than the Marriot. The name is RAMADA and it will cost you ~$65, instead of the 135 at the recommended Marriot.

This hotel is only a mile away from the Marriot by the way. Check it out: http://www.hotels-rates.com/Vallejo/CA/usa/

So if you are going to opt out of the Marriot and stay at the Ramada, see you there. I know the shuttle in the morning for TUCOM leaves from the Marriot, but I think we can all get to the marriot without trouble and catch the shuttle to TUCOM.

I have a early flight on sunday, so if you are going to be there early, lets hang out!

No, I do not have an interview yet. Do you have to apply for financial aid before the interview? It says on there website to fill out the FAFSA as soon as possibe? Did you guys do this for this school and all the other schools so far? Thanks a lot. Maybe I will have an interview on that day, but I have not heard back after my secondary so far. If I do, I will PM you.

Doc driven

Just got my acceptance today. However, the 2,000 nonrefundable is a huge turn-off for me. I wish they would give you more time. Two weeks is not enough time for me to make an objective decision, so I'll probably end up not going there.

How long after your interview did they send you the acceptance letter? also is it mandatory to give them a response within 2 weeks of receiving an acceptance letter?
I have an interview on the Oct 16th (tomorrow)

Thanks

Hi! I have an interview here Nov 5th, anyone else?

Hi! I have an interview here Nov 5th, anyone else?

Yep, I'll be there. I'm driving up from LA, however :eek:, so I'm sure I'll be nice and "chipper" for the interview! Oh well, I work well under pressure/stress/deprivation/abuse/etc...

Yep, I'll be there. I'm driving up from LA, however :eek:, so I'm sure I'll be nice and "chipper" for the interview! Oh well, I work well under pressure/stress/deprivation/abuse/etc...

Very cool. Maybe we'll be in the same interview. You're not planning on driving up the same day as the interview are you? That's like a 6 hour drive.

How long after your interview did they send you the acceptance letter? also is it mandatory to give them a response within 2 weeks of receiving an acceptance letter?
I have an interview on the Oct 16th (tomorrow)

Thanks

They make a decision within 2 weeks of your interview. That gives you about 3-4 weeks to come up with $2000. The response is mandatory, if you do not give the deposit, you give up your spot. I called them yesterday (the last day I could send in my deposit) and told them I wouldn't be coming. I guess that is one more spot open for someone else.

Got an interview November 6th Anyone else in my boat?

Has anyone who has been accepted to Touro MI this cycle decided to put down the deposit to hold their space ... ?

I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to park the day of the interview, are there plenty of spots, do I have to pay for it, is there a certain parking lot to go to? Any info would help a lot!

Has anyone who has been accepted to Touro MI this cycle decided to put down the deposit to hold their space ... ?

Not me. I think this is why in the end, they get only applicants who are only accepted to Touro or who really want to stay in the SF Bay area. I think they should change their policy. For me, it was not even a choice. Drop 2,000 dollars on a backup school? not me.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to park the day of the interview, are there plenty of spots, do I have to pay for it, is there a certain parking lot to go to? Any info would help a lot!

Yes, just arrive early. You do not have to pay, just park as close to admissions as you can.