UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobbyT

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is the University of North Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine compare to other Osteopathic Medical schools? What is the percentage of students getting matches to their top 3 residency choices? Is there anything that you can do to make your application stand out while TCOM is evaluating your application?

Members don't see this ad.

TCOM is a great school that does not get much coverage on SDN because the classes are made up of almost exclusively Tx residents. This excludes the vast majority of visitors to this site.

That said, TCOM's admission stats are pretty much on par with the rest of the Texas schools, since they all use the same application service - TMDSAS (not AACOMAS). Obvious outliers apply - Baylor and Southwestern.

As with all medical schools in recent years, the average applicant statistics have been on the rise. I'm not exactly sure what they were for this application cycle (I'm a bit out of the loop now that I'm 1200 miles away). If you look at TCOMs website under admissions, they usually have some mention of the most recent class.

For instance, here is the data for Fall 2005 and Fall 2006 application cycles:

Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine Entering Class Statistics 2004-2005

Go To: Admissions Homepage

Entering Class Profile
Fall 2005 Fall 2006

Applications
1,701 1,886
Interviews
569 558

Class Size
135 155

Male (%) 49% 51%
Female (%) 51% 49%

Texas Residents 91% 95%
Non-Residents 9% 5%

Mean Overall GPA 3.52 3.52
Mean Science GPA 3.44 3.44

Mean MCAT Score 28 27

Mean Age 25 25

So, all in all, it looks like the admission stats stayed about the same the last 2 cycles.

Hope this helps.

jd

oh boy... that table crap didn't work at all, did it?

jd

Members don't see this ad :)
For discussion of the school noted above. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Silly rabbit....

Being at certain school doesn't decide the top 3 residency choices, you do.

I haven't noticed too many TCOM interview invites and was wondering who has applied and when they were verified. Since everything is done via TMDSAS, most of the TCOM applicants may be on that thread, but I thought I'd check.

I interviewed there a few months ago and had a great experience. Good facilities, faculty, and technology. Reasonable tuition even for OOS. Just curious if anyone has been getting TCOM love.

I haven't noticed too many TCOM interview invites and was wondering who has applied and when they were verified. Since everything is done via TMDSAS, most of the TCOM applicants may be on that thread, but I thought I'd check.

I interviewed there a few months ago and had a great experience. Good facilities, faculty, and technology. Reasonable tuition even for OOS. Just curious if anyone has been getting TCOM love.

I interviewed there late in August and loved it! Everyone was super friendly, good facilities, nice location. Check my mdapps for the details. I think I was verified in late July? I'm glad I can find out as early as 10/15. It feels like I interviewed so long ago. :luck::luck:!

TCOM recently sent me an email asking me to finish my secondary because only 1/3 of the interview spots were still left. They must have gotten most of them out of the way.

yeah I was verified by TMDSAS back on 6/13 and I interviewed at TCOM on Aug 2. Man that seems like such a long time ago. This having to wait stuff sucks!

You guys need RC Slocum back. Fran reminds me so much of john mackovic that I have flashbacks whenever I see him, and I have to check myself into the state hospital.

Are you kidding?? Four more years! Four more years! :laugh: I was at UT during the Mackovic years. Tough times mate. We were kicking the crap out of OU those days.

...how the hell did you hijack another thread?

All threads can default to college football at any time.

I was at UT for the last 2 mackovic years. I remember he'd always be about to get fired, and then he'd have a season good enough to save his job. Fran is pulling the same scam on our agricultural friends now.

Members don't see this ad :)
All threads can default to college football at any time.

I was at UT for the last 2 mackovic years. I remember he'd always be about to get fired, and then he'd have a season good enough to save his job. Fran is pulling the same scam on our agricultural friends now.

It was Mackovic that brought Longhorns to play pro-offense. Back in the Fred Akers days, all the Longhorns did was running the wishbone offense and they sucked. Under Fred Akers the Longhorns quarterback did not know how to pass the ball. Also during that time the Longhorns men basketball sucked. No one paid money to see them play. It was Penders that brought the men basketball out of the Bambi league. The Longhorns has come a long way. Both the men basketball team and the football team are now good.

Penders would have been able to take the horns to the next level if it wasn't for his "issues". Having said that, what Barnes has done here has been amazing. We are turning into an NBA factory.

Speaking of Fran... What is this about him selling injury information to boosters? That is a pretty obvious HIPAA violation. At least Mackovic had a brain in his head. Fran is Mackovic's ******ed evil twin.

I was checking the TCOM website for this, but does anyone know what area hospitals most 3rd years rotate through?

Looks like I found my answer. From the TCOM website:

"We are fortunate to have affiliated hospital partners that offer a state-of-the-art environment for clinical education. These leaders in 21st century health care include John Peter Smith Hospital, Plaza Medical Center, Cook Children s Medical Center, Harris Methodist Medical Center Fort Worth, Baylor All Saints Medical Center, Texas Tech University Hospital-Odessa, University of Texas Health Center-Tyler, the Methodist System in Dallas, the Christus Spohn Health System, Bay Area Medical Center, the Driscoll Children s Hospital, to name a few."

A quick question on TCOM application. I was verified on TMDSAS around 9/6/2007 and application was sent to TCOM. How do I know whether my application has been reviewed? Does the TCOM website updates that information? The TCOM website just shows that my application has been completed. Thanks.

A quick question on TCOM application. I was verified on TMDSAS around 9/6/2007 and application was sent to TCOM. How do I know whether my application has been reviewed? Does the TCOM website updates that information? The TCOM website just shows that my application has been completed. Thanks.

Mine was verified by TMDSAS around 6/13 and I got the email/phone call around 7/1. My status on the website changed from under review or something to "You have been invited for an interview".

It now says something like...you're the best candidate we've ever seen but you still have to wait until Nov 15th...or something to that effect. Maybe just that I'm still complete.

How long did ya'll have to wait for an interview invite after your application was sent to tcom?

My app was sent to TCOM on 6/15 and I got the interview invite around 7/2 or so. Set the date for 7/27.

does anyone know what the avg GPA and MCAT to get an acceptance or even an interview? I'm also an OOS applicant so I don't know how much that would hurt my chances....

The last two years' MCAT / GPA averages have been 27-28 and 3.45. Hope that helps. Good luck.

does anyone know what the avg GPA and MCAT to get an acceptance or even an interview? I'm also an OOS applicant so I don't know how much that would hurt my chances....

There isn't much of a chance if you're out of state. Texas law...the texas schools must get quite a bit of state funding.

I believe OOS make up about 10%. If your application is competitive, you'll get considered for sure.

Incidently....OOS acceptances go out next Monday.

good luck to those who find out next week.

Im just counting down the days til nov. 15th

For those who have been interviewed (congrats by the way!), do you mind sharing what your stats are? I'm very interested in this school...but im OOS =/

For those who have been interviewed (congrats by the way!), do you mind sharing what your stats are? I'm very interested in this school...but im OOS =/

I interviewed at TCOM as a OOS applicant with a 3.5 GPA (slightly higher science GPA) and a 29 MCAT. I'm eagerly awaiting 10/15:scared:. I wonder if they let you know that day? Anybody know?

:luck: to you!!

I interview OOS on September 4th with a 3.72 TMDSAS uGPA and a 4.0 TMDSAS gGPA. My MCAT score was a 27 (11 BS, 8 VR, 8PS). Hopefully we do find out next week. I know the earlier you interview, the earlier you should find out. TCOM is a great school so I am waiting patiently to hear the verdict!

I interviewed on 7/27 and had a great experience. Man, that seems like a long time ago. I am in state and my stats are 3.4 with a 27T. Hope that helps. Good luck to you both next week. Your stats are strong and you should have some choices to make.

I interview OOS on September 4th with a 3.72 TMDSAS uGPA and a 4.0 TMDSAS gGPA. My MCAT score was a 27 (11 BS, 8 VR, 8PS). Hopefully we do find out next week. I know the earlier you interview, the earlier you should find out. TCOM is a great school so I am waiting patiently to hear the verdict!

really? I was there the week before you, but we can't hear before the 15th, right? I hope we all get in!

Unfortunately we cant hear until October 15, as agreed upon by all state medical schools in Texas although your acceptance is probably decided on by this point. I know the admissions committee started meeting the week before my interview (Sep. 4). I spent most of my childhood growing up in Abilene, TX so the prospects of going back to attend TCOM are really exciting... I wish they could tell us earlier! I was wondering, however, if anyone knows the prospects of becoming an in-state resident for tuition purposes if my wife were working and licensed as a Registered Dietitian (RD) in Texas as well as owning a house in state. I would essentially be married to a Texas resident after one year and would own property there. If anyone could shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it!

Unfortunately we cant hear until October 15, as agreed upon by all state medical schools in Texas although your acceptance is probably decided on by this point. I know the admissions committee started meeting the week before my interview (Sep. 4). I spent most of my childhood growing up in Abilene, TX so the prospects of going back to attend TCOM are really exciting... I wish they could tell us earlier! I was wondering, however, if anyone knows the prospects of becoming an in-state resident for tuition purposes if my wife were working and licensed as a Registered Dietitian (RD) in Texas as well as owning a house in state. I would essentially be married to a Texas resident after one year and would own property there. If anyone could shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it!

See if this helps. It'a questionnaire for residency in Tejas.

http://www.collegefortexans.com/residency/CoreQuest.pdf

Hey OOS'ers, check your status page. It should be changing soon. From what I've heard TCOM will be listing OOS acceptances soon.

:luck::luck::luck:

So since TCOM is part of TMDSAS, I wonder if the profiles of their initial acceptances during the prematch period is on par with other Texas schools.

Still no SDN TCOM OOS'ers? Just thought it would be fun to drop some initials into a post.

Still no SDN TCOM OOS'ers? Just thought it would be fun to drop some initials into a post.

If don't get something in the mail tomorrow, acceptance or rejection, I probably will drop the admission's office a line (even though I really hate calling admissions offices... this wait is killing me!).

If don't get something in the mail tomorrow, acceptance or rejection, I probably will drop the admission's office a line (even though I really hate calling admissions offices... this wait is killing me!).

I've still don't have anything either. If you call the office can you please let us know? please, please, please :D

I've still don't have anything either. If you call the office can you please let us know? please, please, please :D

Called today and unfortunately no acceptances have been made. They probably will not go out until Monday at the earliest and maybe not until later for some of us. The waiting continues but at least we have some idea of what to expect. Good luck to everyone!

Called today and unfortunately no acceptances have been made. They probably will not go out until Monday at the earliest and maybe not until later for some of us. The waiting continues but at least we have some idea of what to expect. Good luck to everyone!

Thanks for the update!!! Bummer about the waiting. Did they say if you'd hear on Monday? :luck::luck:!!

Thanks for the update!!! Bummer about the waiting. Did they say if you'd hear on Monday? :luck::luck:!!

No, they did not specify.... it is their policy not to give out your status over the phone. Also they send all acceptances by US mail so those who do get letters next week won't hear until Thursday at the earliest.

No, they did not specify.... it is their policy not to give out your status over the phone. Also they send all acceptances by US mail so those who do get letters next week won't hear until Thursday at the earliest.

rats. I guess I'll have to start stalking the mailman (even more than I already am ;)) Thanks for the info!

Just got the call!!! I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!! hooray!

:luck::luck: everyone!!!! OOS'ers keep your phones on!

Nice job! Would you mind sharing some of your stats or background? We Texans have a few weeks to go before we'll know.

yup, i just got my call as well. I'm from PA GPA around 3.6/3.7, MCAT 27. Good luck texans!!