research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mules05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a MS3 who will be applying for ob/gyn in next year's match, and was curious to hear what people think about whether starting research this year would be worthwhile. I did well on step 1 (255) so was planning to apply to some of the more competitive programs. No 3rd year grades available yet, and my only research so far is one publication in an ortho journal from first year- not exactly relevant to OB. I'm on a super easy rotation now so I have plenty of time to pick something up, just wondering if it would be worth it.

Members don't see this ad.

i don't have any research at all, but I did very well on both steps, and I've already gotten 14 interview invitations... i don't think it's a big deal as long as the rest of your app is stellar!

i don't have any research at all, but I did very well on both steps, and I've already gotten 14 interview invitations... i don't think it's a big deal as long as the rest of your app is stellar!

I'm in the same boat as Sippi, no research. Depends on how good your numbers/rank/AOA/LOR's are and also where you want to go. I don't necessarily want to hit up the East Coast and research driven schools, I'm staying the the southeast/midwest.

Members don't see this ad :)
according to the nrmp data for matched applicant to ob/gyn...few did any research. there are a handful of prgm's that actually state on their websites the importance of research when evaluating applicants (i.e hopkins, northwestern). do research if you like it ...we are not applying to radonc or derm. btw, i am doing research b/c there are topics that i am interested in.

As mentioned previously, Ob/Gyn appears to be a field that does not require intensive research for a successful match. Therefore, only do it if you find a topic you will enjoy with a good PI. I do think that most, if not all, Ob/Gyn programs will require you to participate in a research project during your residency. How much work goes into that research probably depends on the emphasis placed by each program.

I agree with the above posters. This is not plastics or neurosurg, so doing research while in med school is by no means necessary. You should not feel pressured to get involved in a project just so you have another line on your CV. That being said, it does seem that OB/GYN is becoming more competitive (albeit slowly) and so with your step score and my assumption that your grades are also great, you have a chance of matching into a very strong program. So if you are interested in a project or going to a big university program on the east coast, then take a look at the type of work your faculty is doing and try out research for a little bit. Who knows... you may end up really liking it.

I have non-OB research under my belt (hoping for a publication) and am getting involved in some OB projects soon.