Life Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Staring@theSun

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any recommendation on a specific company to get term life insurance through (or to avoid) for a new resident?

THANKS for any info.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have a life insurance but I plan on getting one. I have heard good thing about term life insurance search engine. Give it a shot. http://www.term4sale.com/

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have parents who are/were in the military, or you were in the military, USAA is one of the best companies that I Have seen out there whether it is banking, car insurance, and life insurance.

I just signed up for a 20 year term life policy, $400,000, for about 18$ a month.

Not a huge amount of coverage (400k), but I am just getting started with school so I don't want to have high monthly payments.

In order for a life insurance company to provide you with coverage in America, you must have your green card and have been a permanent resident for at least a year. Quotes will not be provided to temporary residents or anyone with only a work permit or visa or green card applicants who have yet to receive their green card. Keep this in mind before planning for a policy and approaching an insurance provider for the same.

Did you register Denise? You're supposed to do that before advertising.

I've used term4life.com very successfully.

Last edited by a moderator:
the most important thing about the company that you are buying life insurance from is its financial stability -- if the company goes bankrupt, you will not receive the benefit that you (or your family) expected.

fortunately, life insurance companies are very heavily regulated to ensure that consumers are protected against this.

All life insurance companies will be rated; I forget the exact ratings, but it'd be like "triple A" or something. I'd seek out this rating system. Ask the life insurance company rep; they will know, if they don't, that's a great indicator that your rep is not knowledgeable. Probably all of the best known companies will be highly rated, but you may find some companies that you've never heard of, that seem to offer good prices, that may be very highly rated too. Suggest you check your state's department of insurance -- every state has one and they'll have good info on your in-state companies.

Depending on the amount of the policy, you will likely need to have blood/urine sample done fyi -- for "have you ever smoked", they'll do a cheek swab and can detect any tobacco use in the past 3 months or so -- no cigars for this time period!