**Official 2008 MD/PhD Acceptance Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solitude

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
none for me, but I know of at least two people that have received acceptances today. Come on guys, share your happiness with the rest of us!

Members don't see this ad.

nothing, though uconn will let me know by the end of the month

Pitt will let us know any day now...yikes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Awww, I was hoping someone would have some good news already. Won't be getting any myself for a while (cross fingers) since I don't have MSTP interviews until November.

University of Rochester: meowkat444, 10/16, call from director

THANKS! I really really liked it there, so it's a giant relief.

Still only 1 acceptance? Man I want to hear from UConn so badly AHHH!

Vanderbilt: j-weezy (10/17 - call from director)

Congrats J-Weezy!!!!

I guess the pressure is off for now...that is until you're wading through multiple acceptances trying to figure out which great school you want to go to more.

PS: You're awesome!

Congrats, j-weezy and meowkat!!! I'm sure this is only the first of many acceptances for you guys. How does it feel knowing that you will be an MD-PhD someday?

Congrats, j-weezy and meowkat!!! I'm sure this is only the first of many acceptances for you guys. How does it feel knowing that you will be an MD-PhD someday?

Kind of surreal and not real. I still have like 6 interviews between now and the end of the semester so no end in sight just yet....but yes it certainly does make it easier to sit through one more interview orientation or repeating my research one more time....

Members don't see this ad :)
Mucho congrats, y'all! Hopefully the rest of us will be joining your ranks soon...

University of Pittsburgh: clover86 (10/19, snail mail)

University of Pittsburgh: clover86 (10/19, snail mail)

Congrats Clover!

(and welcome to the dark side!)

University of Pittsburgh: clover86 (10/19, snail mail), HypoxiaBoy (10/19, snail mail)

Wow! Indescribable feeling. Congrats to all!

UCSF- 10/20- snail mail yay!

University of Pittsburgh: clover86 (10/19, snail mail), HypoxiaBoy (10/19, snail mail), Richardlo (10/19, snail mail)

Hey all, do you know if you need to fax/send the acceptance letter back to the school as soon as you get it? I'm just wondering if that means I will accept the offer (and only that offer) once I send it back. In other words, is it "finalized"? Or should I wait until I figure out which shool I really want to go to in the end?

From what I heard from my schools so far is that we don't have to do anything with these acceptances, that we have until April 15 or May 15 for the final offer. The acceptances are just ours to keep for the moment and our spot is guaranteed.

Hey all, do you know if you need to fax/send the acceptance letter back to the school as soon as you get it? I'm just wondering if that means I will accept the offer (and only that offer) once I send it back. In other words, is it "finalized"? Or should I wait until I figure out which shool I really want to go to in the end?

Some schools will make you put down a deposit to hold your spot in the class. I think you do have to confirm that you want that spot in the class, but you're not bound to go there (or not go elsewhere) until a certain date.

You can hold multiple acceptances until a certain date (5/15 maybe?). After that date, schools will know if you're holding multiple spots. At that point, schools can refuse to refund your deposit (if you decide not to go there & notify them too late) or schools can rescind your acceptances.

I'm not sure how long schools will give you before they expect you to put a deposit down to hold your spot, but for MD programs it's usually ~$100-200 & by AAMC rules has to be refundable. Of course, they encourage people (especially MD/PhDers who don't have to worry about aid packages) to not hold onto multiple acceptances unless there's so pressing reason (ie: trying to match up w/a SO who doesn't know where s/he's going to school yet)

I feel like I made that far more complicated than it should have been.

University of Connecticut:GreenMudPhud(10/26, email)
University of Pittsburgh: clover86 (10/19, snail mail), HypoxiaBoy (10/19, snail mail), Richardlo (10/19, snail mail)

YES!

University of Connecticut:GreenMudPhud(10/26, email), marctam86 (10/26, email)

Greenmudphud, were you there on Oct 1st? I may have met you. I'm the tall one.

University of Connecticut:GreenMudPhud(10/26, email), marctam86 (10/26, email), bioartist (10/26, email)

Hi Marc, Kyle. I interviewed on the 1st of October at UConn with you guys - I was the girl from Boston College. Congrats on the acceptance, and let's hope it's the first of several!

hey! i remember you, congrats! I'm actually making out the deposit check right now!

Good luck with your other schools, and hope to see you at other interviews or the second look!

Hey there congrats! I just sent my deposit in. Very exciting! I know that at least 5 out of 6 of us were accepted that day.

NYU: Picklesali (11/12, email)
University of Connecticut:GreenMudPhud(10/26, email), marctam86 (10/26, email), bioartist (10/26, email)

Aggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

(They said they weren't going to notify until mid-December at the earliest! I was DEFINITELY not expecting an email like this any time soon!!!!!!!!)

omg congrats pickles! (although this makes me soooo nervous)

NYU: Picklesali (11/12, email), Dodo23 (11/12, email)

Congrats, Pickles! I'm so happy for you! And for me, too! I simply can't believe I have an acceptance already. And I, too, thought NYU wasn't going to notify until mid-December. Anyhow, what a perfectly lovely surprise in my email inbox yesterday. :D

Congrats, Pickles! I'm so happy for you! And for me, too! I simply can't believe I have an acceptance already. And I, too, thought NYU wasn't going to notify until mid-December. Anyhow, what a perfectly lovely surprise in my email inbox yesterday. :D

Yaaaaaaay! Congrats Dodo - though I know you are bound to have many more acceptances on the way, it would be cool to be your classmate. :D

Yaaaaaaay! Congrats Dodo - though I know you are bound to have many more acceptances on the way, it would be cool to be your classmate. :D

Aah, Pickles - thank you, and it would be a privilege to be your classmate. :D

University of Michigan: j-weezy(11/14 - email), solitude (10/31 - email)

take that yale!

Drexel: chylo (11/14, un-official email from the director, after harassing them for a few days. official package should come in the mail soon)

Congrats J!

I'm at Michigan right now. What did you think about it?
And...Boo for Yale!

Drexel: chylo (11/14, un-official email from the director, after harassing them for a few days. official package should come in the mail soon)

Yaaaaaay for fellow PA-ans. You said you really liked Drexel, right?

Congrats J!

I'm at Michigan right now. What did you think about it?
And...Boo for Yale!

I really liked Michigan but I go to a large state school so I felt at home....are you going to the grizzly peak (or something like that) tonight for dinner?

Plus - there is this hot shot MD/PhD, HHMI guy who is probably only 40 or younger at Michigan who was there for all of his training - wow, just wow...

Yaaaaaay for fellow PA-ans. You said you really liked Drexel, right?

Thanks pickles. Yeah, I was so impressed with them, both the MD curriculum & the research they have going on there. I've found at a few other places I'll like one but not the other. I'm SO happy!!

University of Pittsburgh: clover86 (10/19, snail mail), HypoxiaBoy (10/19, snail mail), Richardlo (10/19, snail mail), MSTPbound (11/15, phone call anticipating snail mail)

I wonder if the mods would let me change my name to MSTPfound!

:D:D:D

Pitt is easily in my top three. So happy... I actually WILL be a physician-scientist.

Just got waitlisted at Case...ugh...I'm curious to hear how the Reserve treated my fellow interviewees. J-weezy? Kraz?

jlamacc1, sorry to hear about Case putting you on the wait list. How and when did Case contact you?

Dr. Harding sent me an email this afternoon. Besides the fact that it said WAITLIST, it seemed pretty upbeat, saying that, "We are impressed with your outstanding academic record, qualifications and personal interview for the MSTP," and that, "At this time of the year, the committee defers final decisions on many applications until we have had time to assess more of the applicant pool." So I'm not entirely sure that this means much more than that I'm not such a mindblowingly superstar applicant as to be able to WOW them into submission...it still sucks that I have to wait a bit longer (knock on wood) for that first acceptance, though. Henge, did we interview on the same weekend?

jlamacc1, sorry to hear about Case putting you on the wait list. How and when did Case contact you?

No. I know someone who interviewed there.