Single Mom Success Stories?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arabella

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any success stories of single moms in med school? I am a single mom of 2 who is working on my pre-reqs (post bachelors and masters).

I know it can be done but I'd like some encouragement.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have read of several, but Dr.M is right.

A good response might be lagging here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a single mom/parent here (heck, not even a female), but I thought I would share a story.

My cousin and his girlfriend had a baby at a young age -- they were both 17. They were both seniors in high school. They ended up separating and still share custody (the mom has him full-time and the dad has him on weekends). The mom had intentions of pursuing pharmacy (not med school, but I am sure pharmacy school is no easier being a single mom) and intended on doing so. She ended up going to a small university in Northern Michigan and was able to obtain a 4.0 in all of her pre-req's and was then accepted to University of Michigan College of Pharmacy. She is now in her 3rd year and doing very well. I have commended her and asked her how she does it, and she stated that she has learned to manage her time effectively and has learned that she does her best studying at night after her son is in bed.

So it is definitely possible!

Sorry, I don't come on that often and forget to check this board.

I went through a divorce in my post bacc, but I kept going. In fact, keeping my dream of going to med school and setting little goals for myself, test by test, kept me going and focused, and not moping. Well, a little moping but I tried to snap myself out of it.

I remarried, and had another kid . Now I am in med school. There are a few other moms there, including at least two single moms that I know. Go for it.

Ha, funny, I was just going to talk about Rebecca (in the college mom website above). She was my roommate a couple of years ago. She's currently a 3rd/4th year med student (she's off track a little after a Fulbright, etc.) and has done lots of other cool/atypical things.

It can be done, though you'd need lots of support in the city where you're in school.

Also, on the college mom site, they spelled her name incorrectly, listed the wrong school, and incorrectly listed the year she'll graduate. Nice...

Is it manageable? Probably, if you're self disciplined, smart, motivated, and have the right resources available to you including extended family members and good friends. Should it be done? Only you can really answer this.

I can't help but get get so frustrated when no one takes the perspective of the child when they shout out their "you can do it" answers when asked to advise on the single mom/med school questions. Can a child handle having his single mom in med school? There will be lots of sacrifices and compromises.The bad news is that your med school won't be the one needing to tolerate them. It will impact your child.Even worse news is that your residency will be even more demanding....more sacrifices, more compromises.

I don't mean to discourage or judge you. You know what your abilities are, what resources you have access to, etc. ..If you chose to pursue this, just remember that your professors, cadavers, library walls, and hospital wards will see much more of you than your children will for at least the next 7-10 years.

Think about it. Good luck and I wish you the best!

why don't you self-indulgent people quit asking each other what the success rate is for yourselves and start worrying about the outcome of the kid you brought into the world.

2 or 3 generations of latch-key, nannyized, daycare neglected kids have already turned this nation into a freakin nightmare.

It's tough enough for a kid to make it with 2 parents working. If you go to med school, the kid will be driving by the time you have time for them.....
just in time for your career to peak and you'll need it, to pay for their drug Rehab.

Quit kidding yourselves, do like the other poster did, Remarry or get married and this time , go for the short , squat, bald guy named Morty the Accountant

Are you FLIPPING kidding me...

How dare you Spit at the mouth that going to MED school ..and raising a child can not be done...and why am i SELFISH for wanting to do it... if i dont go to school and better myself as well as my child ...then you call me lazy...welfare recipient...or just plan stupid...
but if i go to school ... im again SELFISH cause i dont want to care for my child??? get a grip...I go to school FULL time and RAISE a A+ student in school...what is the difference between me going to medical school and working 12-14hr SHIFTS??? ...SO many people want to say that KIDS will be affected in a NEGative WAY if they choose to go to MEDICAl school...NO one wants to credit KIDS with the ability to UNDERstand..Kids are awesomely understand who will be your MOST important supporters...THEy see their MOther or father is working towards a goal...not just settling for something because IDIOTS like yourself continue to put down people who are trying to make a better life for themSELVES as well as their families. Granted it will be hard...but its not IMpossible...I dont know hOw im going to do it...but its going to be the same way IM doing it now...i live ON my own with my DAughter...go to school FULLtime..and still Manage to COOK meals for MY daughter at night ...
What you need to realize is...Medical school is a JOurney (this is my daughter's name) ..nothing in life was meant to be Simple..if you want it bad enough it CAN be done...YOu have people who dont what its like..but are quick to put in there TWO negative Cents...IF this what you want then go for it WITH GUNS BLAZING...All i can tell you is YOUR NOT ALONE!!!!

Peace and MUCH love

PMG

understandING--i know i think faster than i type when im POed..sorry lol

PMG

What you need to realize is...Medical school is a JOurney (this is my daughter's name)

You named your daughter as a tribute to your career path? Cold . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
why don't you self-indulgent people quit asking each other what the success rate is for yourselves and start worrying about the outcome of the kid you brought into the world.

2 or 3 generations of latch-key, nannyized, daycare neglected kids have already turned this nation into a freakin nightmare.

It's tough enough for a kid to make it with 2 parents working. If you go to med school, the kid will be driving by the time you have time for them.....
just in time for your career to peak and you'll need it, to pay for their drug Rehab.

Quit kidding yourselves, do like the other poster did, Remarry or get married and this time , go for the short , squat, bald guy named Morty the Accountant

Might I suggest a better stress relieving hobby like racquetball or golf or whatever. SDN for the aging rather less well than fine wine PA's makes little if any sense.

..but its going to be the same way IM doing it now...i live ON my own with my DAughter...go to school FULLtime..and still Manage to COOK meals for MY daughter at night ...
You won't have nights, you'll occassionally have 36 hour shifts, especially starting in your internship year. In M3 year you'll get in at 6 a.m. and leave at 10 p.m. and still have to study. People get so tired that they start doing their laundry in shifts. Someone else WILL be taking care of your kid during that time: whether the biological father, a relative, or a REALLY close friend.

Listen, I'm sure you can do Medical school as a single mother, no one is saying you can't. I'm not sure that doing medical school as a single mother is what's best for your kid, some people will say that it isn't, and they might even be right. I don't have kids so I'm not sure, Alpha does and seems sure. What I do know, though that medicine isn't going to fulfill you as a person. It's a good paying, well respected, and occasionally interesting job, but you don't want get fixated on the idea that "medicine = happy, everything else = not". Even in single people that attitude seems to be a sure path to unhappieness.

Medical school swallows your life for SEVEN YEARS (4 in school and 3 Residency). It is reasonable to consider that as a single parent maybe training to be a Dentist, or a Vet, or a PA (like Alpha), or any other profession that doesn't require you to work 36 hour shifts and be in the Hospital on Christmas, might be a reasonable way to adapt to your situation.

Once again the thread has gone off onto the "Should they or shouldn't they?" track. :rolleyes:

I know SDN is all about giving your opinion whether it's asked for or not....but she was asking for stories from or about single moms who have actually done it. Not opinions or judgments from pre-meds who assume they know what it will be like - but are neither parents nor actual medical students yet.

This isn't a personal attack, just an observation that it would be nice to keep the posts relevant to what the OP was looking for instead of making assumptions about her situation.

You can do it!!!!! I have a friend who had twins while she was in dental school. She is married but her husband has been deployed to Iraq alot. So it is just like being a single mother. She say that is very hard but it is doable. She will be graduating within the next year or so. Whatever you do, do not get discouraged. If you are given the opportunity to attend medical school. Just trust and believe that a way is going to be made.
Does anyone have any success stories of single moms in med school? I am a single mom of 2 who is working on my pre-reqs (post bachelors and masters).

I know it can be done but I'd like some encouragement.

Thanks!

You named your daughter as a tribute to your career path? Cold . . .

no i actually named her after a band i love...but as you can tell her name does have a lot of meanings

You won't have nights, you'll occassionally have 36 hour shifts, especially starting in your internship year. In M3 year you'll get in at 6 a.m. and leave at 10 p.m. and still have to study. People get so tired that they start doing their laundry in shifts. Someone else WILL be taking care of your kid during that time: whether the biological father, a relative, or a REALLY close friend.

Listen, I'm sure you can do Medical school as a single mother, no one is saying you can't. I'm not sure that doing medical school as a single mother is what's best for your kid, some people will say that it isn't, and they might even be right. I don't have kids so I'm not sure, Alpha does and seems sure.

You know that's life...I have already tried doing something that I thought would be best for me because i have a daughter...that hasn't done anything but cause regret. Practicing medicine for you may not be you lifetime goal or it may mean nothing to you...but it means something to me and it probably means something for Alpha...Basically what im saying is i shouldnt have to forfeit anything because someone says i CANT do it...or its NOT best for you to do it b/c you have a child...and BELIEVE me when i say i dont have this delusional painting that medical school is going to be this breathe easy path...

Definitely a wise post. Instead of having a knee-jerk punkmom, ask alpha what's behind his opinion, and get some others. What point are you in your path to medical school? Make sure you ask around before you jump in (this is important for everyone, but especially parents, and especially single parents).

Listen, I'm sure you can do Medical school as a single mother, no one is saying you can't. I'm not sure that doing medical school as a single mother is what's best for your kid, some people will say that it isn't, and they might even be right. I don't have kids so I'm not sure, Alpha does and seems sure. What I do know, though that medicine isn't going to fulfill you as a person. It's a good paying, well respected, and occasionally interesting job, but you don't want get fixated on the idea that "medicine = happy, everything else = not". Even in single people that attitude seems to be a sure path to unhappieness.

Medical school swallows your life for SEVEN YEARS (4 in school and 3 Residency). It is reasonable to consider that as a single parent maybe training to be a Dentist, or a Vet, or a PA (like Alpha), or any other profession that doesn't require you to work 36 hour shifts and be in the Hospital on Christmas, might be a reasonable way to adapt to your situation.

Pre-medical person giving advice in the super-positive direction? Not surprising.

As someone very familiar with single parents (and mothers), believe me, having a hubbie deployed is not the same as being a single parent. Dental school is NOT medical schools. Just trust and believe me on that one. Let's ask punk mom for some more details about her current financial state, her educational state, and family support systems before we start making too many calls in the negative or positive direction.

Punk mom, opinions from us are only here to help..

You can do it!!!!! I have a friend who had twins while she was in dental school. She is married but her husband has been deployed to Iraq alot. So it is just like being a single mother. She say that is very hard but it is doable. She will be graduating within the next year or so. Whatever you do, do not get discouraged. If you are given the opportunity to attend medical school. Just trust and believe that a way is going to be made.

Pre-medical person giving advice in the super-
positive direction? Not surprising.

As someone very familiar with single parents (and mothers), believe me, having a hubbie deployed is not the same as being a single parent. Dental school is NOT medical schools. Just trust and believe me on that one. Let's ask punk mom for some more details about her current financial state, her educational state, and family support systems before we start making too many calls in the negative or positive direction.

LOL im sorry if i sounded at all knee-jerky..or too self righteous or whatever.. my voice was only to say something POSITIVE...if you have something NEGATive can you at least try it CONSTUCTIVELY...by stating the harshness of medical school..that's cool..but by stating that i would be a neglectful mother and my child may somehow need rehab..that's more on the insulting side...sorry if you dont see it that way...i did think she was looking for encouragement or again CONSTRUCTIVE criticism...not insults or attacks on her motherhood

as far as my educational state...im doing fairly ok...currently at a 3.1 but havent taken all of my major science courses yet...

financial state well lets see im no more indebt then the usual fulltime student..no repos....or exceptionally bad credit...my bills get paid..rent is paid..and i still have money left over for the occasional leisurefuntime

family..i have a good supportative family i would say...but mostly if I FALL...i dont go running home to mommie and daddie ..i try to work my way through it myself..youknow the whole being an adult thingy...

SO i should say NO Pun intended..NO im not a in medical school YET...but i am a single mother so i did want to provide a SOMEWHat Positive voice...
So if you took it as im a KNEE-Jerky cRAZed DARe MOM . no im not...i was just raised not to take CANT or NO as the final ANSWER

as far as my educational state...im doing fairly ok...currently at a 3.1 but havent taken all of my major science courses yet...
Red lights here having nothing to do with the original argument. Just so you know, 3.1 isn't even close to competitive for medical school these days. The average for matriculants is about a 3.7, a 3.4 is at the lowest end of competitive. With a 3.1 you need to get a spectacular MCAT score and THEN do an uber expensive/stressful Special Masters Program. Make sure you're aware of the averages before you run out of U-grad credits: I wasn't and now I am scared to death of my SMP's final exam tomorrow (and I'm one of the lucky ones who got into an SMP at all).

Well, typing so fast to tell someone off is knee-jerky.

Educationally, you have a way to go, by the sounds of it. A 3.1 won't cut it, and the major science courses are tough, so you have quite the uphill battle. Do you have time for extra-curriculars to buff your C.V.? How far away are you from taking the MCAT?

Financially, how much debt do you think the average student has? Is your job one where you can make enough money while going full-time to support a daughter? It's good that you don't have bad credit, and that you are able to pay the bills.

Family-wise: If you're doing medical school, you WILL need them to help with your daughter. This really isn't optional. That's not a sign of weakness, it's just a sign of sound family dynamics.

No Pun Intended? I didn't get that. Anyway, you have a long way to go, educationally, and you need to weigh the benefits of the career vs the risks undertaking this venture will have on your daughter. Make a list of why you want to be a doctor; Is it purely a thing of working in the healthcare field? If so, there are other options which are far easier to obtain. Next, make a list of the negative impact it will have on your daughter: Time away from her only parent, raised by others, stress on you = stress on her, financial considerations, etc. Make no mistake about it, choices have consequences, and they are both positive and negative, so be honest with yourself. Place these lists side by side. Make your choice.

Good luck.

LOL im sorry if i sounded at all knee-jerky..or too self righteous or whatever.. my voice was only to say something POSITIVE...if you have something NEGATive can you at least try it CONSTUCTIVELY...by stating the harshness of medical school..that's cool..but by stating that i would be a neglectful mother and my child may somehow need rehab..that's more on the insulting side...sorry if you dont see it that way...i did think she was looking for encouragement or again CONSTRUCTIVE criticism...not insults or attacks on her motherhood

financial state well lets see im no more indebt then the usual fulltime student..no repos....or exceptionally bad credit...my bills get paid..rent is paid..and i still have money left over for the occasional leisurefuntime

family..i have a good supportative family i would say...but mostly if I FALL...i dont go running home to mommie and daddie ..i try to work my way through it myself..youknow the whole being an adult thingy...

SO i should say NO Pun intended..NO im not a in medical school YET...but i am a single mother so i did want to provide a SOMEWHat Positive voice...
So if you took it as im a KNEE-Jerky cRAZed DARe MOM . no im not...i was just raised not to take CANT or NO as the final ANSWER

Well, typing so fast to tell someone off is knee-jerky.

Educationally, you have a way to go, by the sounds of it. A 3.1 won't cut it, and the major science courses are tough, so you have quite the uphill battle. Do you have time for extra-curriculars to buff your C.V.? How far away are you from taking the MCAT?

Financially, how much debt do you think the average student has? Is your job one where you can make enough money while going full-time to support a daughter? It's good that you don't have bad credit, and that you are able to pay the bills.

Family-wise: If you're doing medical school, you WILL need them to help with your daughter. This really isn't optional. That's not a sign of weakness, it's just a sign of sound family dynamics.

No Pun Intended? I didn't get that. Anyway, you have a long way to go, educationally, and you need to weigh the benefits of the career vs the risks undertaking this venture will have on your daughter. Make a list of why you want to be a doctor; Is it purely a thing of working in the healthcare field? If so, there are other options which are far easier to obtain. Next, make a list of the negative impact it will have on your daughter: Time away from her only parent, raised by others, stress on you = stress on her, financial considerations, etc. Make no mistake about it, choices have consequences, and they are both positive and negative, so be honest with yourself. Place these lists side by side. Make your choice.

Good luck.

ok see now was that hard LOL.. ok well i still havent taken..biology2..ochem2..physics 1 and 2..biochem 1 and 2..calculus..molecular bio..immunology..im retaking the chem 2..i did a stoner move with forgetting to drop the course before dropdate...uhmmm i think that's it with all the courses i could be forgetting a few..

as for medical school debt i do know its anywhere from 100k -250k depending of i got to my state school which i can get into two state schools ...NV or SC...
as far as Mcat im taking 2008 to study and take the Mcat in march or april of 09...so that i can apply in june of 09 hopefully...

and yes i do know the minimum competitive gpa is around 3.5...i will be apply broadly and also applying to DO school...and no the Initial doesnt mean anything to me..and yes i do plan on taking both COMlex and Usmle..currently im not sure what residency i want to fall into so i guess i will just prepare myself for it..and yes i do know that DO's dont focus on biochem that much as MD's..or at least that's the myth...

and ive already made that list...over and over again...ive also decided that i didnt want to do it but found myself in turmoil about it...so yes i carefully examine this in detail...like i said before I DONT KNOW what is going to happen...all i can do is pray and move forward..

ok see now was that hard LOL.. ok well i still havent taken..biology2..ochem2..physics 1 and 2..biochem 1 and 2..calculus..molecular bio..immunology..im retaking the chem 2..i did a stoner move with forgetting to drop the course before dropdate...uhmmm i think that's it with all the courses i could be forgetting a few..

as for medical school debt i do know its anywhere from 100k -250k depending of i got to my state school which i can get into two state schools ...NV or SC...
as far as Mcat im taking 2008 to study and take the Mcat in march or april of 09...so that i can apply in june of 09 hopefully...

and yes i do know the minimum competitive gpa is around 3.5...i will be apply broadly and also applying to DO school...and no the Initial doesnt mean anything to me..and yes i do plan on taking both COMlex and Usmle..currently im not sure what residency i want to fall into so i guess i will just prepare myself for it..and yes i do know that DO's dont focus on biochem that much as MD's..or at least that's the myth...

and ive already made that list...over and over again...ive also decided that i didnt want to do it but found myself in turmoil about it...so yes i carefully examine this in detail...like i said before I DONT KNOW what is going to happen...all i can do is pray and move forward..

yes i have family support but i wouldnt havent to depend on that TOO long cause my daughter will be graduating HIGhschool around that time

P.S. Have someone screen your personal statement before you send it.

So the moral of this story is ..Can you live with yourself if your not a Doctor?? way the pros and the cons...and if the Pros are more import than your Cons then by all means do it... Im always a motivator and sometimes i get too motivated?? lol but i mean well...I will be rooting for you and other premed single moms...

We should stick to the question that was post. She asked for success stories. NOT your or anyone else's opinion. She is looking for encouragement as well. And there are some very close similarities with my friends situation. Again, she can do it!!!!!

We should stick to the question that was post. She asked for success stories. NOT your's or anyone else's opinion. She is looking for encouragement as well. And there are some very close similarities with my friends situation. She knows her complete situation. If we would just give her success stories. From there she can decide on her own whether or not she can do it. Personally, I believe one can acheive whatever they want if they believe they can. No it is not going to be easy but it can be acheived. Again, she can do it!!!!!
Pre-medical person giving advice in the super-positive direction? Not surprising.

Wow, I am seriously offended. My parents both worked while I was growing up. My dad worked from 5am to 7or 8pm as a truck driver and my mom worked 3 jobs (1 fulltime, 1 part time, 1 weekend). Needless to say, I was one of those latch-key daycare kids. I never felt neglected or unloved. My parents gave me all the attention they could when they were around and they were amazing parents. They worked to keep us financially afloat. I am pretty sure I have not "turned this nation into a freakin nightmare." I received good grades, I have always been a good kid, I have a wonderful relationship with my parents, and they have CERTAINLY never had to pay for drug rehab! I don't know where you get your information but I think you are watching to much tv. In the real world, kids turn out just fine, even when their parents are busy!

Wow, I am seriously offended. My parents both worked while I was growing up. My dad worked from 5am to 7or 8pm as a truck driver and my mom worked 3 jobs (1 fulltime, 1 part time, 1 weekend). Needless to say, I was one of those latch-key daycare kids. I never felt neglected or unloved. My parents gave me all the attention they could when they were around and they were amazing parents. They worked to keep us financially afloat. I am pretty sure I have not "turned this nation into a freakin nightmare." I received good grades, I have always been a good kid, I have a wonderful relationship with my parents, and they have CERTAINLY never had to pay for drug rehab! I don't know where you get your information but I think you are watching to much tv. In the real world, kids turn out just fine, even when their parents are busy!

My point exactly!!!!!!!!

Well, my old man was a trucker too and he worked a hellalot longer hours than yours did. Big deal. Thats just it silly, you had TWO parents.

We've been dealing with the fallout of the 60's now for sometime. If it werent for birth control and legalized abortion that at least preempted the products of a few pinheads getting together, this country would have probably already gone Mad Max.

If your " lifestyle choice " has produced 2-3 or three generations of well adjusted productive individuals, could somebody please explain to me why the High School Drop out rate is over 50% in many areas and we imprison more of our citizens than any other country in the world ?

I supposed you could always blame it on the public school teachers.

The PA route won't cut you any slack either.

Now do you really want to come and work with a guy like me after graduation ?

Do I really sound like somebody that's going to cover your shift for you because little Johnny has a case of the runs ?

If you are looking for a job that pays well enough to put your kid in private school, make your insurance co-payments, ect. you're going to have to compete with Guys like me, we work, produce, and we Bill. I do this for a living, not a "personal journey"

Of course, you could find a job as a PA in female dominated field like Peds. They just love that " job sharing" crap, but at what they're making $$$ you'd do just as well to skip medical training and go to Welding school then.

Success stories start with plans. Any other pre-meds want to weigh in?

We should stick to the question that was post. She asked for success stories. NOT your or anyone else's opinion. She is looking for encouragement as well. And there are some very close similarities with my friends situation. Again, she can do it!!!!!

I've seen both. Anecdotally, he is far more right than you are.

Congrats on turning out well.

I say blame it on the baby boomer generation. :idea:

Well, my old man was a trucker too and he worked a hellalot longer hours than yours did. Big deal. Thats just it silly, you had TWO parents.

We've been dealing with the fallout of the 60's now for sometime. If it werent for birth control and legalized abortion that at least preempted the products of a few pinheads getting together, this country would have probably already gone Mad Max.

If your " lifestyle choice " has produced 2-3 or three generations of well adjusted productive individuals, could somebody please explain to me why the High School Drop out rate is over 50% in many areas and we imprison more of our citizens than any other country in the world ?

I supposed you could always blame it on the public school teachers.

i had and have two parents for doctors.

there are negatives and positives.

it's important to realize that there are some negatives.

I received an email today asking me to respond to this thread. I guess someone thinks I am the success story you're requesting. I'm not sure I would call myself a "success story," but I'm doing it nonetheless. Being a single mom/med student means I don't have much time to check threads on forums such as this, but I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have for me. My short story: I grew up in a rural area, went to a small state school close to home, did okay in college and on the MCAT, went to grad school, had another job for a couple of years, and had a 1 year old daughter when I started med school. I'm now in the middle of my M3 year. I have one family member who lives an hour away and has been incredibly helpful to me. It's difficult, but far from impossible. PM me if you'd like and I'll try to get back to you ASAP.

I am a single mom making it work...in dental school!!! :laugh:

Sorry, wrong career path. While dental school is no picnic, I did not want to sign up for the whole physician thing...I was scared I would miss my kid's entire childhood. Think about dental...it's a much more family friendly profession in my humble opinion.

I received an email today asking me to respond to this thread. I guess someone thinks I am the success story you're requesting. I'm not sure I would call myself a "success story," but I'm doing it nonetheless. Being a single mom/med student means I don't have much time to check threads on forums such as this, but I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have for me. My short story: I grew up in a rural area, went to a small state school close to home, did okay in college and on the MCAT, went to grad school, had another job for a couple of years, and had a 1 year old daughter when I started med school. I'm now in the middle of my M3 year. I have one family member who lives an hour away and has been incredibly helpful to me. It's difficult, but far from impossible. PM me if you'd like and I'll try to get back to you ASAP.

So I take it, upon graduation, you'll be bringing the kid to the office for the receptionist or the nurse to take care ?

That one is a classic, anybody else seen that one pulled ?

So I take it, upon graduation, you'll be bringing the kid to the office for the receptionist or the nurse to take care ?

Are you actually for real? I can't even believe that you haven't been banned yet. You're 43 yrs old, you're not a pre-med, and you get your jollies off by going onto a pre-med forum and daily insulting single moms. Honestly, what is wrong with you? A single, professional mom is no more likely to behave inapropriately in a work setting than a married professional mother. My mid 40s boss who is a male and married with 3 children whose wife works from home with their horse grooming business will occasionally bring his kids into work if his wife needs some extra time to work at home by herself. This is not a phenomenom reserved for young single mothers. If the health care field is as un-family friendly as you try to make it seem, I feel sorry for anyone who is a part of it. You are demeaning and insulting and absolutely ridiculous.

Yes. That's exactly what I thought I'd do. I might even have my nurse home-school my child for fear of being judged by others for making my kid go to public school!

Uh, free speech much? He gives pretty sound advice for the most part, and it's stuff people don't want to hear. You want flowery advice, 24/7? Go watch Nick Jr.

Are you actually for real? I can't even believe that you haven't been banned yet. You're 43 yrs old, you're not a pre-med, and you get your jollies off by going onto a pre-med forum and daily insulting single moms. Honestly, what is wrong with you? A single, professional mom is no more likely to behave inapropriately in a work setting than a married professional mother. My mid 40s boss who is a male and married with 3 children whose wife works from home with their horse grooming business will occasionally bring his kids into work if his wife needs some extra time to work at home by herself. This is not a phenomenom reserved for young single mothers. If the health care field is as un-family friendly as you try to make it seem, I feel sorry for anyone who is a part of it. You are demeaning and insulting and absolutely ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.