How many take MCAT after soph year or end of junior year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dakims

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who finished the sciences early, is there any benefit to taking it after soph year other than you will have to time retake it?

Members don't see this ad.

I took it after sophomore year, just in case I have to retake it. I kind of wish I would have waited because a few of the classes I am in now woul dhave definitely helped, but no biggie I think I did Ok.

If you feel ready you might as well take it while the material is fresh in your mind

I took physics the summer between soph and junior year, and studied for my MCAT along side that. Then I took it in september, this gave me a chance to retake (which I didn't need to), and alleviated stress for junior year. Although that summer was terrible...

Pretty happy I did it, it has worked out well.

I took physics the summer between soph and junior year, and studied for my MCAT along side that. Then I took it in september, this gave me a chance to retake (which I didn't need to), and alleviated stress for junior year. Although that summer was terrible...

by taking physics over the summer do you think you learned less/ retained less of the material than you could have durring a full semester? im am contemplating doing that but have been told not to by a few ppl b/c material is left out etc. thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
With proper mcat review materials, you'll be fine with summer physics. Maybe even better off as mostly all the MCAT material is tought. I'm sure some stuff was left out compared to during the year, but everything required for the MCAT was there plus more (Sometimes if I was really strugging with things I knew I had a good enough grade to say 'Okay, this won't be on the MCAT... don't waste time'). I got a 12 in PS and chemistry was my worst science class grade wise.

So by taking it the fall of your Junior year, that give you plenty of time for everything?

I'd take it in January of your junior year if you've gotten all the pre-reqs out of the way. That way you'll have winter break to study and won't have to contend with school.

Alright so let me break this down really fast...

Freshman*, Sophmore*, Summer before Junior Year- Slowly start to look into MCAT review, 1 Sem of Junior year*
*Do well in college, make sure to study, retain, and understand the material.

End of 1st Sem of Junior Year- During Winter Break study hard for MCAT
Beginning of 2nd Sem os Junior Year (~January)- Take MCAT

Withink 3-4 Weeks- Get Results of MCAT
Set up LOR and look into PS and list of EC's/resume
April/May- Send in applications to Medical School.
Senior Year- Finish any secondaries and attend interviews
2nd Sem of Senior Year- Hear if accepted
April/May- Make final decision of school
Fall after Senior Year- Attend first year of med school!!!!!

Does that look alright?

I took it after my sophomore year. I ended up doing well, but I kind of wished I had waited until my junior year. I realize now that those upper division Bio classes could have helped me study for the MCAT.
But I ended up doing well, like I said, so it was no big deal.

I took it after my sophomore year. The fact that I took it early has come up in at least one of my interviews, and the interviewer was impressed. But I don't think that most interviewers would notice.

So I see that most of you took the MCAT after your sophomore year. I won't have my physics classes done until my junior year (I really didn't need to take calc I, orgo and physics together), so I was comtemplating taking physics during the summer. Do medical schools look down on this or is it relatively common?