Review on using COMBANK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mochamuffins

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read previous threads on DO students wanting to have a question bank tailored towards the COMLEX and not the USMLE. I came across a website called COMBANK which is attempting to fill this need for COMLEX II and III exams. I first found the website doing research on the Internet for some specific comlex type questions. I was skeptical at first when I signed up because of some glitches in using the test. I emailed the problems and got a quick response. Problems that I had were fixed in a timely manner.
Anyway, here is my review of the good and bad of using the site as a tool for studying for Comlex Part 2. Now I haven’t taken the real Comlex 2 yet to compare how much Combank simulates the real exam. However, this is my opinion so far:
Bad
-Some spelling and grammatical errors
-Glitches with changing answers to past questions within an exam
-Fewer questions than other question banks

Good
-OMM questions
-Testing insights-topics that the Comlex likes to test on
-Very good explanations as to why the right answer is the right answer. For instance, Comlex will usually want the answer to what diagnostic test to use next would to be cheapest or most noninvasive test.
-Medical ethics section
-Bottom line summary points that explain the learning point of the question
-Dedicated staff that is willing to incorporate suggestions and fix any glitches in a timely manner.
-Tests on the clinical basics and not on picky details that I found using other question banks.

Again, I am only half way through but this is my two cents. I definitely think if more DO students use it and give their feedback to the COMBANK developers, it will become the primary question bank for DO students. After I take the Comlex part 2, I will definitely write more on how I think it simulates the real exam.

Members don't see this ad.

COMBANK score overall: 64%
Kaplan Qbank score overall: 60%
USMLEworld (didn't complete): 52%
COMLEX 2 CE score: 91

Here's the skinny on these.

COMBANK: Pros: By far the closest to COMLEX of the three. Thorough explanations. Great OMT and medical ethics sections. Cons: Number of questions is a little low at just over 500. Can't highlight while taking exams.

Kaplan Qbank (USMLE step II): Pros: Lots of questions, good explanations, been around for a long time. Cons: Not a whole lot like COMLEX. No OMT questions. Answer choices A-S in some cases. Written for USMLE.

USMLEworld: Pros: Most number questions (I only completed 60% of the questions in this one), thorough explanations, good information, nice format. Cons: Questions are hard, long cases, not at all like my COMLEX. I think it would be great for USMLE though.