What Are My Chances and Other General Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whiterose

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
****Moderator Edit: This thread is the new location for all WAMC and related questions. If you clicked on your threads link and it took you here go the last page in this thread and you will find your post there. Thanks, DoctorPardi

Ok..here goes.

GPA: 3.47
Science: 3.3
MCAT: first time- 11B 8P 7V -> 26O (I had the comp glitch in january with the wrong questions being matched up with one of the verbal passages)
second time- 11B 14P 10V -> 35O

EC'S: Hand in Hand-we tutor refugee and underprivileged kids at a community
school
Volunteered at hospital one summer
Research lab one summer
Doing a lot of shadowing right now
Habitat for Humanity
Relay for Life
Dance Performance at a cultural show
(The last three are one time events so I don't know how much they count)

I'm trying to decide whether or not I should do Early Decision at Medical College of Georgia. I don't know how good my chances are with early decision and I know that if I don't get in through that then I'll be late in the regular decision process. If I do regular decision, these are the schools I'm planning on applying to:

UAB
USAB
UM
Emory
MCG
Mercer
Morehouse
Mayo
Brody
UNC Chapel
Wake Forest
Med U of SC

So what do you guys think? Are my chances of getting in better if I do early decision or regular? And if regular, is my list of schools ok?

Members don't see this ad.

hey,

you GPA looks fine... and your MCAT score is really good....why don't you call the admissions office and ask them? Some schools have a very competitive early decision program. Ask them what they think. They tend to be very honest about that part of the application process. If they think you have no chance then I think they will tell you not to apply early decision. Your MCAT score is above the average of many of the schools you are appyling to. Unless you heart is totally set on that one school... I would leave your options open...with such a good MCAT score you should do well if you submit your AMCAS now for regular consideration.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll be in okay shape, whiterose. The BCPM GPA isn't anything to write home about but the MCAT sure is. Just be sure to have a good explanation for the GPA come interviews.

I can't comment much on your school list, because I didn't apply to most of them. For the ones I did:

Mayo- it's going to be a very uphill battle, as they tend to take folks with pretty high numbers.
Uof Miami- If UM refers to University of Miami, then don't bother applying (they have a firm 3.6 GPA minimum cut-off for OOS applicants).
MUSC- They take very few OOS students, and the few they do are usually MD/PhD applicants. I'd knock them off the list unless you have SC ties.

I'd avoid early decision like the plague unless you know your chances are very, very good for success. Timing is everything in this process. Don't hamper your application by applying late.

That sucks about the computer glitch. I can't believe they counted your first mcat score. I hope they at least added some notice to your first score so your schools know it wasn't your fault at all.

Also if you're applying early MCG I would add a few more schools to your list. Applying late can be a big hit as me and many of my friends learned this year.

I think you have reasonable GPA and an excellent MCAT. Are you a Georgia resident? Unless you have your heart set on going to MCG or staying in Georgia I wouldn't apply early and keep your options open.

I guess the way I see it is, I would like to visit the schools for interviews and get a feel for where I would be the happiest. And by not applying early you keep you options open. But that's just what I would do. You may decide that early decision is the right choice for you. I don't know how MCG does their admissions or their stats so I can't really comment on that. good luck during the admissions process :luck:

Uof Miami- If UM refers to University of Miami, then don't bother applying (they have a firm 3.6 GPA minimum cut-off for OOS applicants).

My research partner got accepted to Miami with 3.4 and 29. Not Fla native nor any ties to Fla.

Awesome improvement in the physical sciences section.. from an 8 to a 14. How did you improve your score that much? Different approach to studying or did you take a course?

My research partner got accepted to Miami with 3.4 and 29. Not Fla native nor any ties to Fla.
Huh. Was your partner a URM or have something that made him/her stand out? The secondary materials last year mentioned the 3.6 cut-off.

Great acceptance, anyway. Miller's a great school...

I’ve heard that if you can get into a school early decision than you’re as likely to get into that school doing regular. Is that true?

Thayer, yea they said they’d send a letter with the scores. A lot of people had the problem actually, I think it was one particular version of the January test that had it. I’m kicking myself for not voiding my scores now. Do you think adcoms will have issues with my first score being so low?

Fp02c, I think it was a mix of doing a bunch of practice problems, giving up any resemblance of a social life, plus a whole lotta luck :D.

The reasons MCG really appeals to me is because it’s cheap and the idea of knowing I’m in by October sounds real good. But then I just get this nagging feeling that I’m limiting myself. Ha, basically I’m the most indecisive person in the world.

By the way, does anyone have time to read a personal statement today? I’m trying to get my application sent in by tonight.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Huh. Was your partner a URM or have something that made him/her stand out? The secondary materials last year mentioned the 3.6 cut-off.

Great acceptance, anyway. Miller's a great school...

Yeah she's black and speaks spanish, so she had that going for her

Hi!! I am a junior at the University of North Florida in Jacksonville, Florida as a psychology major. I had roller coaster for my first 2 years of college and if affected my GPA. I was thinking about doing a post-bacc program and then apply to medical I started volunteering in my spring semester of my sophomore year and love it. Also, I have a part-time job in order to pay the bills. I have not done any research yet and hoping to find some research experience in the fall semester. Also, I am going to retake some of the classes that I have received C's in. Can anyone give me any advice on what I can do to become a more competitive applicant?:scared:

Thank you and have a good day!

Hi!! I am a junior at the University of North Florida in Jacksonville, Florida as a psychology major. I had roller coaster for my first 2 years of college and if affected my GPA. I was thinking about doing a post-bacc program and then apply to medical I started volunteering in my spring semester of my sophomore year and love it. Also, I have a part-time job in order to pay the bills. I have not done any research yet and hoping to find some research experience in the fall semester. Also, I am going to retake some of the classes that I have received C's in. Can anyone give me any advice on what I can do to become a more competitive applicant?:scared:

Thank you and have a good day!

take all the pre-reqs if not finished, take the mcats and apply for a smp, special masters program. there are plenty of them out there, such as drexel and georgetown, where you actually take med courses with first year students, that way you get to proove yourself. and it looks really good on your application. this is NOT a program where you will be guaranteed a spot into thier med school if you perform well. its just a masters degree or certificate. heres a link for a good list of programs,..

http://advisingservices.ucdavis.edu...cial_masters_post_baccalaureate_programs.html

This is the new depository for all WAMC and other similar threads.

Thanks,
DP

P.S. check out the Pre-Allo FAQ Series Threads for useful info on frequently asked questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
well, my first semester of junior year just ended, my overall GPA is 3.2 both science and overall, I really want to become a doctor, should I go for a masters program get a kickass GPA in it, and then apply to medical school? please no sarcastic comments guys!

You can recover. Why not just try to 4.0 the last three semesters instead of blowing $30,000 on a masters program?

You can recover. Why not just try to 4.0 the last three semesters instead of blowing $30,000 on a masters program?

lets say I do get 4.0 throughout the 3 semesters it may only raise my GPA to a 3.4, which is still not enough, I think I might opt out for a masters program or a postbac, I'm not sure though...

lets say I do get 4.0 throughout the 3 semesters it may only raise my GPA to a 3.4, which is still not enough, I think I might opt out for a masters program or a postbac, I'm not sure though...

while a 3.4 certainly isnt enough to get into a top tier program, with good ECs and a good MCAT you can still get in somewhere.

i don't think that you'd be totally doomed with either a 3.2 and much less with a 3.4. then again it all depends on other factors, what's your MCAT score, what extracurricular stuff have you done, how good of a writer are you, what are your recommendations going to say about you and of course, what schools you're looking to get into.

if everything else is stellar then don't worry about the gpa and try applying, rather than spending a boat load of money on a masters.

dont ever rule out DO programs you are more likely to go get into a good DO program with a weak GPA and a decent MCAT

Don't rule out the Caribbean either.

palm_tree_2.jpg

You sure about that?

5 semesters of a 3.2 GPA + 3 semesters of a 4.0 GPA:

(5 x 3.2) + (3 x 4.0) / (5 + 3) = 3.5 GPA

3.5 is pretty decent, IMHO!

If I were you I'd take Kaplan and apply early this summer (assuming your MCAT goes well) to medical schools and postbac programs, then go postbac if things don't work out. I personally think postbacs are a better idea because graduate classes don't get factored into AMCAS GPA. Have you checked out the postbac forum yet?:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=71

No, not doomed, read any of my posts.

You seem to be another victim of the hearsay that is gpas for matriculants. It depends on state residency, but regardless, the average gpa is around a 3.6 for matriculating students. That is an AVERAGE, people do have lower. I know a white male from a middle class family who had a 3.1 gpa and got into a very good state school. Don't freak out.. Just do the best you can and you'll be fine. I hear way too many premeds going frickin nuts because someone told them you have to have a 4.0 with a 40 mcat to stand a chance at getting into a school...believe it or not, they are people just like you, and some are dumb as hell. GPA, MCAT,ECs, Personality...it all goes into the mix and a strong mcat with a good personality can make up for a "low" gpa.

You seem to be another victim of the hearsay that is gpas for matriculants. It depends on state residency, but regardless, the average gpa is around a 3.6 for matriculating students. That is an AVERAGE, people do have lower. I know a white male from a middle class family who had a 3.1 gpa and got into a very good state school. Don't freak out.. Just do the best you can and you'll be fine. I hear way too many premeds going frickin nuts because someone told them you have to have a 4.0 with a 40 mcat to stand a chance at getting into a school...believe it or not, they are people just like you, and some are dumb as hell. GPA, MCAT,ECs, Personality...it all goes into the mix and a strong mcat with a good personality can make up for a "low" gpa.

Amen. Lots of folks with 3.4 GPAs in med school. Even a few with 3.2. I would do your best in the remaining semesters and study seriously for the MCAT (and not take it until you are scoring competitively on multiple practice tests). If both the courses and MCAT go well, then plan on applying. If not, then plan on a postbac or SMP, while buffing up the ECs. Or if you have dreams for top schools, plan on doing additional schooling after graduation (or deferring graduation) to bring up the GPA. Either way, you are hardly doomed from this starting point. There will be people who graduate with a 3.0 and, after a longer road of grade rehabilitation, will still get into US med schools. Relax.

Go to www.mdapplicants.com and search - you'll see some good results with any set of numbers. Or check out my profile, you can come back from much more. Delete your bookmark for SDN and start studying!

Amen. Lots of folks with 3.4 GPAs in med school. Even a few with 3.2. I would do your best in the remaining semesters and study seriously for the MCAT (and not take it until you are scoring competitively on multiple practice tests). If both the courses and MCAT go well, then plan on applying. If not, then plan on a postbac or SMP, while buffing up the ECs. Or if you have dreams for top schools, plan on doing additional schooling after graduation (or deferring graduation) to bring up the GPA. Either way, you are hardly doomed from this starting point. There will be people who graduate with a 3.0 and, after a longer road of grade rehabilitation, will still get into US med schools. Relax.

thanks, I really want to pull my gpa into the 3.4-3.5 area, I really think I can do it, I really really want to go to US medical school

MCAT is way more important than GPA. So as long as you have good MCAT score (35+) and 3.0+ gpa, you can get in at least a lower-tier school.

haha, I have a good gpa but average mcat so I'm going to DO school. :laugh:

sarcastic bastard

Well my TOS-violating-friend, there's only one way to respond to a poster who doesn't use the search function, and that's pointed sarcasm.

I don't know how many "zOMG I have a 3.2" threads I've gone on and given my 3.2 success story. It's like they keep reposting the same question just so they can hear the same stuff and try and feel better.

SEARCH FUNCTION FTW!

it doesn't matter what we tell you... doomed or undoomed, it doesn't mean anything, your going to do whatever it is you want to do... if you want medicine then apply to medical schools.... period

If your afraid to take this chance becuase you don't want to lose money on the application process well... let me tell you, we are all on the same boat here.....none of us know what the outcome will be, so take a chance and hope for the best..... Meanwhile, study your butt off on the MCATs and your current semesters, doing well will only increase your chances for an acceptance

good luck

Sorry this is long, but would really appreciate feedback:

I am graduating from a top school having spent my undergrad planning to PhD and therefore have extensive research experience in two labs at nearby medical school, with results being published soon in probably a top journal (co-author). After some serious contemplation though, I've decided that I don't want a longterm career in science (don't want to teach or run my own lab and don't just want to be a tech either - the science job market is also very very upsetting nowadays). I've decided that I want to see if medicine is right for me - never seriously considered it before but I do want to help people and believe that I have the skills to do so. I will take 2 years off after grad to shadow physicians/volunteer to see if I really want to make the leap, and if so, will work during that time while finishing prereqs and taking the MCAT.

Since I am a science major, I completed or will complete most of my prereqs before I graduate this spring. I took Ochem I lab and Ochem II lab and lecture at a nearby school (also a top school) over two summers for cost and time reasons. I do need to fulfill my physics requirement and biochem as well. I AP credit'ed the first quarter of physics and took the second quarter pass/fail without doing the third quarter because it was not required for me as a non-premed. However, a lot of the schools I'm looking at do not accept AP credit and don't take pass/fail so I will be redoing physics (which is fine with me because I'm terrible at physics and need the practice for the MCAT). However, I plan to take physics at another nearby college (not the one where I did OCHEM) due to cost and reputation reasons. My question is: will med schools frown upon me if I've taken my prereqs at three different schools?

Also, since I'm on a roll, what are my chances at a good med school? I have a 3.8+ science and overall GPA (although the physics and biochem are not included yet), and though I haven't taken my MCAT yet, I do well at standardized testing (nearly perfect GRE scores). By the time I graduate from school, I will have had 4 different research assistant positions (over substantial amounts of time), edited an undergrad publication, and an officer in a biotech interest group. I have very good to excellent LOR's and am confident that I will produce a great personal statement.

I think you are probably fine with the pre-reqs at different schools thing. I think the only time taking courses at another place is frowned upon is if you take all pre-reqs at a cc, because you want it to be easier.

If after testing things out, you do decide that medicine is the right path for you, you probably have a great shot at a good school. Just make sure you get some meaningful clinical/volunteer experiences during your time off.

Just note, the MCAT is not like the GREs at all, and will require serious studying.

Q: What would be the next steps you would take to get into medical school?

Info: Had a mixture of family emergencies and laziness, immaturity w/e you want to call it in a relatively intensive biochem major culminating to a ~2.8 GPA (the average GPA for my major or so I've been told). I have one more semester until graduation. Been putting off the MCATs even though I've taken the prep course and have done well on the practice tests (33+) but it would seem that even the most spectacular of scores would not cushion the blow.

As of now I plan to finish up the semester as best I can and graduate and/or transfer to another university and retake some of the premed courses I didn't do so well in. Would this be the best course of action, are there any other steps should I take like getting a masters? Thanks for the help as I'm kinda of lost of what I should do to keep my dream alive.

Sorry this is long, but would really appreciate feedback:

I am graduating from a top school having spent my undergrad planning to PhD and therefore have extensive research experience in two labs at nearby medical school, with results being published soon in probably a top journal (co-author). After some serious contemplation though, I've decided that I don't want a longterm career in science (don't want to teach or run my own lab and don't just want to be a tech either - the science job market is also very very upsetting nowadays). I've decided that I want to see if medicine is right for me - never seriously considered it before but I do want to help people and believe that I have the skills to do so. I will take 2 years off after grad to shadow physicians/volunteer to see if I really want to make the leap, and if so, will work during that time while finishing prereqs and taking the MCAT.

Since I am a science major, I completed or will complete most of my prereqs before I graduate this spring. I took Ochem I lab and Ochem II lab and lecture at a nearby school (also a top school) over two summers for cost and time reasons. I do need to fulfill my physics requirement and biochem as well. I AP credit'ed the first quarter of physics and took the second quarter pass/fail without doing the third quarter because it was not required for me as a non-premed. However, a lot of the schools I'm looking at do not accept AP credit and don't take pass/fail so I will be redoing physics (which is fine with me because I'm terrible at physics and need the practice for the MCAT). However, I plan to take physics at another nearby college (not the one where I did OCHEM) due to cost and reputation reasons. My question is: will med schools frown upon me if I've taken my prereqs at three different schools?

Also, since I'm on a roll, what are my chances at a good med school? I have a 3.8+ science and overall GPA (although the physics and biochem are not included yet), and though I haven't taken my MCAT yet, I do well at standardized testing (nearly perfect GRE scores). By the time I graduate from school, I will have had 4 different research assistant positions (over substantial amounts of time), edited an undergrad publication, and an officer in a biotech interest group. I have very good to excellent LOR's and am confident that I will produce a great personal statement.

I've never heard of any medical school complaining about someone doing thier pre-reqs at different colleges. I don't really think 2 years worth of shadowing is needed, shadow a doctor for a few months and get a volunteering job at a hospital for 3-4 months, that should do it (in regards to you "maybe" wanting medicine).

I don't know if your trolling around, but if you've gotten or close to getting your PdD, then you should be smart enough to realise that anybody with a GPA that is close to 3.8ish shouldn't really be asking "what are my chances"

good luck

Just thought I'd ask. My GPA is 3.2, and my MCAT is 30 and I applied to a few schools in U.S and all six schools in Ireland. Just wondering if I can realistically expect anything? (I'm going to go into a nervous breakdown from checking my email 30+ times a day)

No I haven't entered in any PhD programs - I had been planning to apply next year but have decided to see if medicine is more right for me. I don't intend to shadow solely for 2 years - I will be working and taking prereqs/MCAT during that time and volunteering. I was mainly just worried because I wasn't sure how med schools would look upon people who take classes at so many different schools.

Thanks for the feedback though.

I dont think you're doomed at all, just destroy the MCAT (34+) and youll get in somewhere in the US

I'm sorry!

This is another one of those posts that ask whether some ECs are enough...
I've been stressing out like crazy recently because if I really choose to apply next cycle, I have to start getting recommendations, etc. ready soon. I'm >85% sure I'm applying next cycle, but I really don't know if waiting a year and getting more meaningful ECs would be a better choice. I'm probably just stressing way too much recently? but every time I see a person say "I have a 3.8 and 35 and I didn't get in anywhere," a little part of me dies a slow, painful death because I start asking myself if that's going to be me (and I live in CA too).

So! To prevent myself from going crazy, pleasee tell me if these ECs (projected--what I will have by June) will or won't spell doom for me.

~3 yrs research (in high school = meaningless??) + published abstract and presentation
Pre-med club <--filler, did nothing
1 quarter vet hospital volunteering <--vet? not even related to anything
3 quarters hospital volunteering
1 year research...probably no pubs this year
1 summer other research
1 year public health internship
1 summer tutoring
1 summer working at at a journal
2 quarters children's hospital volunteer
some exchange student host
some art stuff (possible publication in magazine?)

As you can see, the first three things on the list are probably not worth much, and nothing on the list is longer than a year, due to the fact that I decided to go into medicine my sophomore year. No leadership, no fancy studying abroad, nothing special at all. All that in addition to me not being very good at interviews either... I feel like all I have are my GPA and MCAT scores, and they're pretty good, but not THAT good. Anyway, I just really need some opinions right now, for my sanity. =\

I'm sorry!

This is another one of those posts that ask whether some ECs are enough...
I've been stressing out like crazy recently because if I really choose to apply next cycle, I have to start getting recommendations, etc. ready soon. I'm >85% sure I'm applying next cycle, but I really don't know if waiting a year and getting more meaningful ECs would be a better choice. I'm probably just stressing way too much recently? but every time I see a person say "I have a 3.8 and 35 and I didn't get in anywhere," a little part of me dies a slow, painful death because I start asking myself if that's going to be me (and I live in CA too).

So! To prevent myself from going crazy, pleasee tell me if these ECs (projected--what I will have by June) will or won't spell doom for me.

~3 yrs research (in high school = meaningless??) + published abstract and presentation
This may or may not be worth anything depending on whether it carried over into college. If it carried over, that opens it up to being something you can talk about as continuation.

Pre-med club <--filler, did nothing Yeah, filler, not worth much

1 quarter vet hospital volunteering <--vet? not even related to anything Definitely IS related.

3 quarters hospital volunteering You KNOW that's related

1 year research...probably no pubs this year You aren't expected to have pubs. Those are icing. A year is more than most people devote.

1 summer other research See - here we have CONTINUITY of involvement - high school, one year in college, + decided to devote a summer

1 year public health internship Yes, relevant

1 summer tutoring keeping busy in the summer, I see, and community involvement - good

1 summer working at at a journal Hey! another summer not wasted, and shows involvement w/something besides typical premed stuff - Good

2 quarters children's hospital volunteer pertinent

some exchange student host interesting thing to talk about, shows appreciation of diversity, too

some art stuff (possible publication in magazine?) Once again, GOOD because it shows there's more to you than a standard checklist

As you can see, the first three things on the list are probably not worth much, and nothing on the list is longer than a year, due to the fact that I decided to go into medicine my sophomore year. No leadership, no fancy studying abroad, nothing special at all. Okay, that's a misstatement. Tutoring is leadership. Hosting is leadership. Did you do these things because they were interesting? Did being involved in these activities impact your view of your place in world at all? There doesn't have to be a single amazing standout activity. The group of things together represents part of the package that is you. All that in addition to me not being very good at interviews either... I feel like all I have are my GPA and MCAT scores, and they're pretty good, but not THAT good. Well, there ya go. If they are "pretty good", that's the part that will open the first doors for you. Anyway, I just really need some opinions right now, for my sanity. If you have good L'sOR with the rest of that package, it looks like you are good to go. Find helpers and practice interview skills. It is a skill that can be developed. =\
:luck:

hey guys

could you guys take a look at my mdapps and chance me?

not sure if i should complete college or go straight to med school...

thanks in advance

Your ECs look pretty good to me...you were always busy with some activity, which shows the adcoms that you can handle full time school and still being involved in your free time. Also, were you ever employed? I always forget to add my jobs to my ECs, cuz I dont really think of them as ECs (for some reason, I hear ECs and think of fun, interesting, community involvement type activities, not working to pay bills). If you have jobs, even crappy minimum wage types, adcoms respect the amount of time that takes up.

Follow the classic rules for success...apply BROADLY and apply EARLY. There are spots out there for people who don't have perfect applications (ie 4.0, 40+ MCAT, publications, study abroad/mission trips). Work on those interview skills until you are comfortable that you could have an interesting conversation with a cardboard box for an hour if you had to...it'll work out! Just get your ducks all lined up, starting ASAP, so you can get the secondaries out within a few days of receiving them.

I know you guys get these all the time, but I'm desperate and would like to know. I really want to get into U-Wash. I'm a Washington resident. Is it possible? I looked in the MSAR and saw their average gpa was a 3.72! EEEK
Currently:
MCAT: Will take in May. Hope for 30+

BCMP: 3.41
AO: 3.8
Cumulative: 3.61

Extracurriculars
*ER Volunteer at University of Washington Medical Center
*Officer of a pre-health club geared towards underrepresented minorities that i've been involved with for the past three years.
*Howard Hughes Biology Fellows Scholar
*Shadowing a clinic physician and a pediatrician
*Seattle Children's Hospital Diversity Committee
*University Singers/Men's Glee Club

3.72 average means they accept people on both sides of that number... so obviously you are close to that.

Aside from that, it is impossible to say anything since you have not taken the MCAT. Your GPA is competitive, but your chance at UWash obviously depends on the MCAT as well. Assuming you get a 30+ then I think it goes unsaid you will be competitive and have a fair shot there.

RANDOM QUESTION- Can econ. classes be included in the BPCM gpa since econ. classes, at least some of them, are very math intensive or would that be a stretch?

I am a junior who will now be approaching her sixth semester come spring. I am in the honor program with a biochemistry and economics double major, and a math minor. Sounds impressive, yes, but not when it comes to GPA.

I have a 3.48 overall, a 3.41 BPCM, and a 3.94 for all other classes (you will be truly surprised how science classes being weighted more can truly ruin your overall GPA). I have calculated I can raise my science GPA to 3.5 by the end of this semester if I do well, and perhaps my overall to 3.55 or even 3.6.

Following are the classes I have taken in science:
Gen. Bio 1, 2: B, B-
Gen. Chem: A-
Orgo 1,2: B+, B
Micro: B-
Med. Bot, Biostats: B+, B+
Analytical Chem: B+
Immuno: A-
Physics 1,2: A, A (comm. college though)

Basically, as I have gone farther in my science studies (4 300 and 1 400 level classes), I have raised my GPA to B+ and A-.

ECs:
RA (resident assistant)
Bio, econ tutor
Writing Consultant
School magazine non-fiction editor
Mentor at school camp
Volunteer at hospital (40 hrs.)

What do I want to do with all this craziness: I want to do what Harvard terms "social scientist:" I want to a PhD in economics, and team it with MD, but I don't think I am a very good MSTP candidate since my science GPA (econ. and math GPA kicks butt), nor my extracurriculars, are that amazing. My last hope is GRE/MCAT scores, but I don't those will be amazing as well because I have lost my motivation since I came to college. I am quite the go-getter, but I have to want to go and get (okay, I sound like a dog fetching a bone...lol), which is not happening at all.

So, as I stand, what are my chances?

Hi i am a junior in college right now and my grades are pretty bad(2.57). i tried improving but i still get crappy grades i am thinking of transfering to another "easier" school and still do pre med or should i stay my school? what else can i do besides give up? i am getting discouraged...any adivce would help

Status
Not open for further replies.