Adcoms and citing Extenuating Circumstances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polyploidy516

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do adcoms view extenuating circumstances if they resulted in a few less than desired grades (C/C+) either in the beginning of your college career (freshman/soph) or later on? Do they take those into consideration before making a decision on your app? Will schools such as Harvard do this as well or will they not consider it heavily? I would truly appeciate some responses regarding this matter.

Members don't see this ad.

How do adcoms view extenuating circumstances if they resulted in a few less than desired grades (C/C+) either in the beginning of your college career (freshman/soph) or later on? Do they take those into consideration before making a decision on your app? Will schools such as Harvard do this as well or will they not consider it heavily? I would truly appeciate some responses regarding this matter.

It depends on the circumstances, the corroboration of your story (in a LOR from your committee or advisor or someone else who can vouch for you), and subsequent performance. An adcom member might also have some concern about whether the circumstances might be ongoing or recurrent.

thanks for the responses LizzyM. Well the circumstances were due to severe economic circumstances due to my father getting laid off/subsequently he became terminally ill which further reduced the available finances in the household. I had to work 25 hours a week to pay for the household bills, however, even then my parents and I were evicted from our home and had to live in a shelter for sometime. All of this severely affected my mental state causing me to lose focus in school, thus underperforming for the 1.5 years. Furthermore, adjusting to college life also played a role. Additionally, my family income has been relatively low for most of my childhood, income itself was scarce. Thus, I am planning to claim the disadvantaged status. Would this help at the top schools?

Additionally, do you think this would be an acceptable answer to adcoms? Im really worried about this as I absolutely hate giving excuses for my performance....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Polyploidy516, I am in a similar situation. I explained everything in the disadvantaged section of the AMCAS and mentioned it in my PS. Every interview I have been to I've been asked about it and never in a negative way. Just explain what happened and what you learned from it. And be sure to never use it as an "excuse." As long as you tell the truth then you should be fine. Don't worry about your experiences being "disadvantaged enough" for any medical school committee, just stick to the facts and let them decide. Good luck!

thanks for the response wednesdaysarmy....I guess paranoia has set in right now in concern to my grades as I will be applying in this upcoming cycle.

One last question I have is do the top level schools disregard applications that have these grades as they are trying to maintain a particular standard....or will they not weigh that part of the application heavily due to improved subsequent performance and proof of having extenuating circumstances (advisor corroborates, etc)?

Your personal statement would be a great place to write about all the trials and tribulations you've had to go through to pursue this career path. I feel for you, because I've been in a similar situation. Low income for most of my life, especially for these past few years because of ill-health of my parents. If it wasn't for generous scholarships that I've earned during undergrad, I woudl not have been able to complete my education.

You could certainly apply as disadvantaged. I'm sure it will help immensely.
I opted not to, but seriously considered it. I think you have a lot going for you, and med school admissions isn't all about numbers. Your application is looked at holistically as long as you make the initial GPA + MCAT cutoffs. After that, its anyone's game.