How to Write Extenuating Circumstances Essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burnerburnerturner

Reaction score
Hey, so sorry if this question was asked early on!

I am wondering on how to tackle an appropriate writing style for the extenuating circumstances essay? Should it be limited in style and more straight to the point, or can it be written differently from a traditional academic essay (more emotional)? Also, should we mention how this extenuating circumstance ties back into our journey to medicine?

Additionally, if anyone has experience with these essays and would like to offer their assistance with deciding if I should write an essay for this prompt, please DM me!

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering on how to tackle an appropriate writing style for the extenuating circumstances essay? Should it be limited in style and more straight to the point, or can it be written differently from a traditional academic essay (more emotional)? Also, should we mention how this extenuating circumstance ties back into our journey to medicine?

Additionally, if anyone has experience with these essays and would like to offer their assistance with deciding if I should write an essay for this prompt, please DM me!

Thanks in advance.
Could you share the prompt, or are you referring to the Other Impactful Experience essay?

Could you share the prompt, or are you referring to the Other Impactful Experience essay?
Referring to the Other Impactful Experience essay! Prompt is: "Have you overcome challenges or obstacles in your life that you would like to describe in more detail? This could include lived experiences related to your family background, financial background, community setting, educational experiences, and/or other life circumstances."

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm writing up my suggestions on what topics can be covered in OIE (shared with Becoming a Student Doctor enrollees). Treat it as an extra opportunity to discuss Most meaningful experiences that define you and are not part of your W/A section.

It is a new prompt for everyone, but it frees up space in the PS to focus it more on "why medicine." "Professional" tone is always better than one eliciting emotion.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks in advance.
A lot of the answer would depend on what the extenuating circumstances were. If they tie to your commitment to medicine I would say yes, include that connection.

A lot of times the "extenuating circumstances" were difficulties or trauma in one's life. In writing about these difficulties, you don't have to minimize or dramatize them. At the end of the essay, you want the reader to see you as stronger because you've been through that experience and not as damaged or someone who is working through their trauma by becoming a doctor. It shouldn't be a pity essay.

Reactions: 1 users
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users