When do programs rank you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beanding

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am milling over my residency choices and have heard you should let the programs you plan on ranking high that they are high on your list. Can someone tell me when programs start ranking their interviewees so that I know how soon I need to give these programs the heads up?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

in reality, most programs likely have some sort of rough, ongoing ranking process throughout the interview season (something like low, med, high). the final decisions are usually made in the first few weeks of february, depending on their last interview date.

the answer to your underlying question is that if you're going to tell your top 1,2, and/or 3 programs, you can do it anytime after your last interview. it would be unadvisable to do so before that. might it help to do it closer to their final ranking sessions so that your name crosses their face then? maybe, but i don't know that i'd put that much thought into it.

I am milling over my residency choices and have heard you should let the programs you plan on ranking high that they are high on your list. Can someone tell me when programs start ranking their interviewees so that I know how soon I need to give these programs the heads up?

Thanks!

I wouldn't stress about notifying programs. It's not very likely to change their ranking of you, just as you should rank programs based on desire, not based on some scheme.... the match list is designed in your favor.

The deadlines are in the first week of February, and there is a 1-2 day discrepancy between the applicant and the program's deadline.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the info! I appreciate it very much!

I"ll post the opposite view about letting programs know you're interested - I've talked to many program directors about this last year, as well as my own PD states it over and over again to applicants:

you should strongly consider telling programs where you want to go, that you want to be there.

all things considered, you interview 100 people for your program and you're trying to decide between putting MR. X at 14 on your list or 15...or 22 or whatever. You think similarly of Ms. Y and having the same question: where to put her on your list.

wouldn't it influence your decision as a program director if you knew that Mr. X had told you, and made a good case as well, that he really wanted to be at your program?: "I know, Dr. Smith, that I would be very happy at your program and honored to be there. I'm so convinced of this that I plan to rank your program among my top 3 choices and would appreciate any consideration you can give me as I would be very happy to be at your program in July."

Ms. Y on the other hand has not contacted Dr. Smith at all: " I figure that they'll rank the best, and I'll rank the best - why contact them as it'll all work out and won't be an influence," she says.

In our program Mr. X would go up on the list - "he really wants to be here! Great, we really want him too!"

Ms. Y would similarly go down, comparatively speaking, on the list - "we've not heard from her and I think she's not very interested."

There are plenty of people on SDN that will disagree with this view. But - look into your future: if you are Dr. Smith - the exalted EM PD of the future, wouldn't you be influenced by those who wanted to be at your program relative to those who had not indicated a sincere interest? I hope so, or at least I hope I"ll see the world that way if I'm ever a PD - which seems a long way from the intern year, I tell ya.

Also, in my own little world, I would rather train with Dr. Smith the program director that is influenced by people and their stated desires, instead of Dr. Smith the program director that is driven by the numbers on the ERAS applic and the all-knowing 5 hours they spent on interview day, etc.

It's a matter of opinion and I've stated my case for the opposing side, which I admit is influenced substantially by my experience in the match last year interviewing at alot of programs as well as the views expressed by my program director to applicants at our place. I respect the views that you should keep your cards to your chest and that it won't influence programs - but these are not places I'd want to be.

We have our ranking meeting (with residents present) later this month. I know that our PD and faculty really appreciate candidates expressing interest in the program. In my opinion it can't hurt you, and may help your case.

For what it's worth, I've gotten advice from PDs to definitely let programs know if they are highly ranked or your number 1.

What about if you already know which is your number one.... I assume, along the same lines, you should notify your #2 and #3 (for instance) of your interest? How exactly should you do this? "You are in my top three programs and would be honored to train there" ??

What about if you already know which is your number one.... I assume, along the same lines, you should notify your #2 and #3 (for instance) of your interest? How exactly should you do this? "You are in my top three programs and would be honored to train there" ??
"You are at the (+/- very) top of my list"

I"ll post the opposite view about letting programs know you're interested - I've talked to many program directors about this last year, as well as my own PD states it over and over again to applicants:

you should strongly consider telling programs where you want to go, that you want to be there.

all things considered, you interview 100 people for your program and you're trying to decide between putting MR. X at 14 on your list or 15...or 22 or whatever. You think similarly of Ms. Y and having the same question: where to put her on your list.

wouldn't it influence your decision as a program director if you knew that Mr. X had told you, and made a good case as well, that he really wanted to be at your program?: "I know, Dr. Smith, that I would be very happy at your program and honored to be there. I'm so convinced of this that I plan to rank your program among my top 3 choices and would appreciate any consideration you can give me as I would be very happy to be at your program in July."

Ms. Y on the other hand has not contacted Dr. Smith at all: " I figure that they'll rank the best, and I'll rank the best - why contact them as it'll all work out and won't be an influence," she says.

In our program Mr. X would go up on the list - "he really wants to be here! Great, we really want him too!"

Ms. Y would similarly go down, comparatively speaking, on the list - "we've not heard from her and I think she's not very interested."

There are plenty of people on SDN that will disagree with this view. But - look into your future: if you are Dr. Smith - the exalted EM PD of the future, wouldn't you be influenced by those who wanted to be at your program relative to those who had not indicated a sincere interest? I hope so, or at least I hope I"ll see the world that way if I'm ever a PD - which seems a long way from the intern year, I tell ya.

Also, in my own little world, I would rather train with Dr. Smith the program director that is influenced by people and their stated desires, instead of Dr. Smith the program director that is driven by the numbers on the ERAS applic and the all-knowing 5 hours they spent on interview day, etc.

It's a matter of opinion and I've stated my case for the opposing side, which I admit is influenced substantially by my experience in the match last year interviewing at alot of programs as well as the views expressed by my program director to applicants at our place. I respect the views that you should keep your cards to your chest and that it won't influence programs - but these are not places I'd want to be.

I definitely agree with you. If I was trying to decide between candidates, I would really rather have people who thought my residency program was amazing and who would be ecstatic to match there.

I definitely agree with you. If I was trying to decide between candidates, I would really rather have people who thought my residency program was amazing and who would be ecstatic to match there.

I'm banking on this making a difference at my number 1.