Reapplicant told will not be ranked at new program due to funding issue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darth Revan93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

To give a quick overview, I am a PGY-1 in a transitional year that did not match last cycle. I am applying to EM this cycle, and I have an interview with an EM program next week. I was called by the PD who told me that they will not be able to rank me on their list due to a funding issue with their program being less than 5 years old and me being a TY resident. This is the first I have heard of this rule, and I was under the assumption that I had preserved funding due to being a TY, unlike being a prelim IM or prelim surgery. Does anyone know anything of this supposed rule, as this is the first I have heard of this. It was really disheartening since this program is in my hometown and I was looking forward to having a great shot at being back home.

Any enlightenment in this matter is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

To give a quick overview, I am a PGY-1 in a transitional year that did not match last cycle. I am applying to EM this cycle, and I have an interview with an EM program next week. I was called by the PD who told me that they will not be able to rank me on their list due to a funding issue with their program being less than 5 years old and me being a TY resident. This is the first I have heard of this rule, and I was under the assumption that I had preserved funding due to being a TY, unlike being a prelim IM or prelim surgery. Does anyone know anything of this supposed rule, as this is the first I have heard of this. It was really disheartening since this program is in my hometown and I was looking forward to having a great shot at being back home.

Any enlightenment in this matter is greatly appreciated!
They’re gaslighting you. And also doing you a favor. Don’t bother with the interview.

Reactions: 4 users
They just don’t wanna rank you. How many interviews do you have?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They just don’t wanna rank you. How many interviews do you have?
I have 12 EM interviews, and I have really good board exam scores and SLOEs. And strong ties to the area. So just kind weird to do this 5 days before my interview. Question is why even extend an interview to me in the first place if they have this policy?

Last edited:
I have 12 EM interviews, and I have really good board exam scores and SLOEs. And strong ties to the area. So just kind weird to do this 5 days before my interview. Question is why even extend an interview to me in the first place of they have this policy?

People give courtesy interviews all the time like if you did a rotation or if you’re from the city, they will interview you as a courtesy.

Ty do not start your residency medicare funding. Doesn’t sound like a very knowledgable PD.

Concur with the others. I was a re-applicant from a TY that matched into EM, and was interviewed by several new programs. Sounds like that PD may be doing you a favor.