SMP list: January 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMidlife

has an opinion
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With Braluk's permission I've dug through some lists and websites to get a current list of SMPs. Did you know there are more than 25 SMPs now? Personally I define "SMP" as any program that is specifically aimed at improving the credentials of med school applicants who have already completed the prereqs and taken the MCAT.

My intention with this thread is to keep the first set of descriptive posts up-to-date, based on posts that are added with folks' comments and corrections.

Here are some lists of SMPs that have an air of official-ness about them. All three are out of date.

AAMC searchable postbac list
The much-linked Syracuse list
U of Cincinnati comparison chart

Here is an alleged up-to-date SMP list, with links to each program's website. I'll add links to sub-posts about each program, stay tuned.

Barry
Master of Science in Biomedical Science
Miami Shores, FL

Boston U
Master of Arts in Medical Sciences Program
Boston, MA

Colorado State U
Masters B (MS-B)...in...Biomedical Science
Fort Collins, CO

Drexel
Several programs (MSP, IMS, MBS, MMS)
Philadelphia, PA

EVMS
M.S. in Biomedical Sciences - Medical Masters
Norfolk, VA

Georgetown
The Special Masters Program (SMP) in Physiology
Washington, D.C.

Grand Valley State U
Masters of Biomedical Sciences
Allendale, MI

Johns Hopkins
Master's Program in Reproductive and Cancer Biology (Master of Health Science)
Baltimore, MD

LECOM (DO)
Health Sciences Program for Post Baccalaureate Education
Erie, PA

Loyola
M.A. in Medical Sciences
Chicago, IL

Midwestern (DO)
Master of Arts in Biomedical Science
Glendale, AZ

Mt. Sinai Biomed
Master of Science Program in Biomedical Sciences
New York, NY

Mt. Sinai PREPMed
Post-Baccalaureate Research Education Program for Medicine (PREP-Med)
New York, NY

Northwestern
Masters Program in Neurobiology and Physiology
Evanston, IL

NOVA (DO)
Master of Biomedical Sciences
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

NYMC
Basic Medical Sciences Interdisciplinary Program
Valhalla, NY

U of Pennsylvania
Special Science
Philadelphia, PA

PCOM (DO)
Certificate of Graduate Study in Biomedical Sciences
Philadelphia, PA

PCOM - Georgia (DO)
Certificate of Graduate Study in Biomedical Sciences
Suwanee, GA

Rosalind Franklin or
Rosalind Franklin
MS in Biomedical Sciences
Chicago, IL

Temple
Advanced Core in Medical Sciences Program
Philadelphia, PA

Tufts
MS in Biomedical Sciences (MBS)
Boston, MA

Tulane ACP
Anatomy Certification Program
New Orleans, LA
Summary post

Tulane Cell
One-Year Masters in Cell and Molecular Biology
New Orleans, LA

Tulane Genetics
Master of Biomedical Science...in Human Genetics
New Orleans, LA

Tulane Pharm
Masters of Science in Pharmacology
New Orleans, LA

U. of Cincinnati
MS in Physiology
Cincinnati, OH
Summary post

U. of S. Florida
M.S. in Medical Sciences
Tampa, FL

U. of Toledo
Masters Degree In Medical Sciences
Toledo, OH

UMDNJ
Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences
Newark or Stratford, NJ

VCU
Pre-Medical Basic Health Sciences Certificate
Richmond, VA

Edited Jan 25 '08: added UPenn, added Tulane ACP summary link
Edited Jan 26 '08: added U of Cincinnati summary link
Edited Jan 31 '08: added Rosalind Franklin
Edited Mar 12 '08: added Stratford to UMDNJ location
Edited Sep 15 '08: added Temple
Edited Oct 9 '08: fixed Temple

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
this list is amazing. thank you.

Great Job Drmidlife! Once I get a chance to Im going to merge this with the official SMP thread to the very first post so it will get the proper exposure

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent list! Thank you!

I don't think the links of each school in your post are working tho... ;)

so an "SMP" as any program that is specifically aimed at improving the credentials of med school applicants who have already completed the prereqs and taken the MCAT right? Then what is a Post Bacc program? I have a B.S. in bio but my gpa is low and my mcat is...i know that an SMP would reject me... you still need somwhat of a decent gpa and mcat to apply to an SMP right? BUT im still confused between then getting a Masters (2 yrs) and a SMP (special masters program)? please reply clarifiying all 3, sorry if this is a dumb question. thanks to anyone with answers!

~m~

so an "SMP" as any program that is specifically aimed at improving the credentials of med school applicants who have already completed the prereqs and taken the MCAT right? Then what is a Post Bacc program? I have a B.S. in bio but my gpa in low and my mcat is...i know and SMP would reject me. you still need somwhat of a decent gpa and mcat to apply to an SMP right? BUT im still confused between then getting a Masters (2 yrs) and a SMP (special masters program)? please reply clarifiying all 3, sorry if this is a dumb question. thanks to anyone with answers!

~m~

Not a dumb question at all. It's insanely confusing. All the different programs don't fall into neat categories, but if you look around you'll probably find one that works for you - there are hundreds.

First question, and I'm not trying to be an ass, this is real: why do you think you can get good grades in hard classes now? If you have a nonfictional answer to this, then you might be ready to do more academics. If you don't, come back when you do. SMPs are hard to get into because med school is hard to get into. There is no slip-n-slide here. Fewer than 40% of applicants get into med school - and probably 60% of applicants are acceptable, with nice squeaky clean records.

If you're URM, pick a school you like and call them. Otherwise:

A postbac generally means more undergraduate work. This generally means one of three things:
- a competitive, structured program where you take premed prereqs and primp your app, 1-2 yrs
- unstructured coursework at a 4yr institution, either to complete prereqs or improve your GPA or otherwise get ready for med school, without advising support, 1-20 years
- a second bachelors degree, 2-4 years

If your GPA is low, and you don't show a dramatic upward trend (preferably an immediate surge) in your GPA, then postbac work is making things worse.

An SMP or masters degree means graduate work. An SMP is generally grad-level study specifically designed to show that you can handle deathly rigorous medical school coursework. In general, a masters degree is post-bachelors academic work, which usually demonstrates nothing dramatic to an admissions committee, because it has nothing to do with either the prereqs or the med school coursework, even if it's neuroscience.

Maybe this will help make sense of it: you get a masters because you want to, but you do an SMP or postbac because you have to. And if you blow it in your postbac or SMP, that's the end of the road.

I hope this helps some. Best of luck to you.

wow this is wonderful. thank you sooooo much!

ps - i love you...seriously

Tulane ACP
New Orleans, LA

...a course of study for qualified medical school applicants to strengthen their credentials for admission to medical school...to identify excellent candidates for medical school from the applicant pool who have been wait- listed but have not gained medical school admission...

Year initiated: 1996
Integrated with med school: Yes
Program duration: 1 year
Part-time available? No
Thesis requirement? No
Program starts: early August
Program ends: mid-May
2008 tuition: $12,500
GPA/MCAT requirements: none, must be waitlisted at a US med school to apply
Linkages: none
Class size: 16
Application cost: $75
Application deadline: April 11, 2008

Old Fart Editorial: From my perspective, this is the best of breed SMP. It's cheap, no thesis is required, it puts you in med school to prove you can do med school, the class size is small, and the record is good. This is my #1 pick.

Edit: also impressive was the speed of the email responses from this school.

U. of Cincinnati
MS in Physiology
Cincinnati, OH

...designed to help college graduates strengthen their academic credentials in preparation for application to U.S. medical schools...

Year initiated: 2006
Program duration: 1 year (11 months)
Part-time available? No
Thesis requirement? Literature research paper / capstone
Program starts: August 6, 2008
Program ends: July '09
2008 tuition: instate 25000 OOS 25400
GPA/MCAT requirements: min GPA 3.0 min MCAT 27
Class size: 20
Application cost: $100
Application deadline: June 1, 2008

Old Fart Editorial: Braluk went here and is now in Tulane SOM. Enrollment in this program establishes Ohio residency.

Folks, I got in to Nova today (just after paying my U of S. Florida MIMS application fee). So my SMP interest went straight to passive. If anybody wants to maintain and finish this list, it's all yours.

Members don't see this ad :)
U. of Cincinnati
MS in Physiology
Cincinnati, OH

...designed to help college graduates strengthen their academic credentials in preparation for application to U.S. medical schools...

Year initiated: 2006
Program duration: 1 year (11 months)
Part-time available? No
Thesis requirement? Literature research paper / capstone
Program starts: August 6, 2008
Program ends: July '09
2008 tuition: instate 25000 OOS 25400
GPA/MCAT requirements: min GPA 3.0 min MCAT 27
Class size: 20
Application cost: $100
Application deadline: June 1, 2008

Old Fart Editorial: Braluk went here and is now in Tulane SOM. Enrollment in this program establishes Ohio residency.

Seriously? That would be a huge help, considering my state sucks. Can someone explain what I have to do (besides simply attending the school) to establish residency in Ohio (like buy a house, etc?)

Could you add to the UMDNJ entry that it actually has two program sites, one in Newark and the other in Stratford? Thanks!

How detrimental is it if your previous MCAT score is below the minimum requirement for an SMP? I took the MCAT in August 2006 and did very poorly. The subsequent year, I tried retaking it but due to unfortunate circumstances, I wasn't able to attend the test. Now I am signed up for the May 10, 2008 test but the deadline for most SMPs and Post/bacc is April 1 or earlier. I know I can do so much better on my next MCAT because not only will I be better prepared this time, but now I am actually motivated to do it. I just hope it isn't too late for me to come back.:( Thanks for your help.:)

Anyone know more about the Hopkins program in terms of application stats to get in?

Hey guys, do you think it's too late to apply to one of these programs? A lot of them has deadlines in April - June, but most of them have rolling admission.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

This thread needs to be stickied!

4 some reason i cant access the deadline and admission reqs for John Hopkins. Im assuming 2.9 overall is not enough for an SMP acceptance lol

When you calculate the GPA, can you include the grades from schools where you transferred credit.

I have a 2.89 but I have 15 credits that could bring my GPA higher. IS that factored into the GPA that you add?

and I mean calculation in the title.

When you calculate the GPA, can you include the grades from schools where you transferred credit.

I have a 2.89 but I have 15 credits that could bring my GPA higher. IS that factored into the GPA that you add?

and I mean calculation in the title.

Any GPA you calculate must include all college coursework ever taken anywhere. "Transfer credit" implies that you have multiple transcripts. So your GPA averages everything on every transcript.

Great DrMidLife (Hope you don't get a crisis anytime soon.)

Ok now in terms of retakes. I'm applying for science enhancing post baccs so I can bring my AMCAS GPAs above the 3.0 marker. Do I average both the old and new grades or do I just use the new grades.

thanks for your help

Ok now in terms of retakes. I'm applying for science enhancing post baccs so I can bring my AMCAS GPAs above the 3.0 marker. Do I average both the old and new grades or do I just use the new grades.

You have to include old and new for MD schools. Which means there's no actual advantage to repeating old coursework (other than to be above the minimum of "C"). So you might want to take physiology, biochem, etc. instead of repeating prereqs, if your prereq grades are C or higher.

DO programs just take the highest grade for retakes.

Any SMP programs that I can do in Pittsburg???

What about the TCOM SMP at University of North Texas?

Just curious, but which one of these programs is the easiest to get into? Just got my MCAT score back today (25O: 7P, 8B, 10V) and took this past year off from school, but am getting the itch to get back into school again Fall 2008. My undergrad. GPA is 2.95, so I'm really trying to get into an SMP and possibly a DO school after that. Thanks.

Can someone plz tell me who has a better Program between the two, in regards to being accepted into medical school ?

Would the Tulane MS in Human Genetics be counted as a traditional SMP or more like a hardcore-science Postbac program?

With Braluk's permission I've dug through some lists and websites to get a current list of SMPs. Did you know there are more than 25 SMPs now? Personally I define "SMP" as any program that is specifically aimed at improving the credentials of med school applicants who have already completed the prereqs and taken the MCAT.

My intention with this thread is to keep the first set of descriptive posts up-to-date, based on posts that are added with folks' comments and corrections.

Here are some lists of SMPs that have an air of official-ness about them. All three are out of date.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6138809&postcount=10Tulane Genetics
Master of Biomedical Science...in Human Genetics
New Orleans, LA

Tulane Cell
One-Year Masters in Cell and Molecular Biology
New Orleans, LA

Tulane Pharm
Masters of Science in Pharmacology
New Orleans, LA

Tulane ACP
New Orleans, LA
Summary post

U. of Cincinnati
MS in Physiology
Cincinnati, OH
Summary post

U. of S. Florida
M.S. in Medical Sciences
Tampa, FL

U. of Toledo
Masters Degree In Medical Sciences
Toledo, OH

UMDNJ
Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences
Newark or Stratford, NJ

VCU
Pre-Medical Basic Health Sciences Certificate
Richmond, VA

Edited Jan 25 '08: added UPenn, added Tulane ACP summary link
Edited Jan 26 '08: added U of Cincinnati summary link
Edited Jan 31 '08: added Rosalind Franklin
Edited Mar 12 '08: added Stratford to UMDNJ location

YOU ARE AMAZING!

Thank you for this list, it is very helpful...I was doing everything the hard way.

Thanks again man, this was generous of you.

I wasn't sure where I could post my question but I figured this would be the best place to start off... I was wondering what my chances were to get into an SMP... I'm currently a senior in biomedical engineering, and my GPA is 3.1 right now. I haven't taken my MCATs yet but I am planning on taking them this January. I've been taking practice tests and I've been scoring a constant baseline of 30, so I'm hoping to bring it up atleast by a little. I have a lot of research experience in the BME department... 3 yrs, and I also have 2 summers of workin in hospitals in australia. I wasn't sure whether I would get into med school w/ my credentials so I was plannin on applying for an SMP. I'm not sure whether my credentials are sufficient for this because the SMPs seem pretty competitive too... I would appreciate any advice or comments on this. Thank you.

Hi I'm sorry I'm still a bit confused about the difference between a post bac and SMP. Are post bacs only those that are underrepresented populations or have worked with adverse populations? What is a better way to go. I have a 3.28 bcpm 3.38 cgpa, and a 30Q? Please any help would be great. Also are all SMP programs remedial programs? Thanks alot

Hi I'm sorry I'm still a bit confused about the difference between a post bac and SMP. Are post bacs only those that are underrepresented populations or have worked with adverse populations? What is a better way to go. I have a 3.28 bcpm 3.38 cgpa, and a 30Q? Please any help would be great. Also are all SMP programs remedial programs? Thanks alot

Post-bacc: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=114425

SMP: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=346106

read each and it'll explain everything.

I wasn't sure where I could post my question but I figured this would be the best place to start off... I was wondering what my chances were to get into an SMP... I'm currently a senior in biomedical engineering, and my GPA is 3.1 right now. I haven't taken my MCATs yet but I am planning on taking them this January. I've been taking practice tests and I've been scoring a constant baseline of 30, so I'm hoping to bring it up atleast by a little. I have a lot of research experience in the BME department... 3 yrs, and I also have 2 summers of workin in hospitals in australia. I wasn't sure whether I would get into med school w/ my credentials so I was plannin on applying for an SMP. I'm not sure whether my credentials are sufficient for this because the SMPs seem pretty competitive too... I would appreciate any advice or comments on this. Thank you.

Your credentials are sufficient for a few smps. With a good mcat score (32+) and strong lors, you can be a competitive applicant for higher end smps. A good mcat score is most important if you want to do an smp.

I was just wondering which SMPs (if any) require prior research? I know that some programs just have laboratory research as "recommended."

Also, which programs offer great research opportunities?...as I have yet to gain any. Any help would be appreciated.

I figured I might as well reveal my stats too to see if you all believe a SMP is the right route for me. I graduated in May 08. CumGPA 3.58, BCPM 3.34, MCAT 29Q. I only applied to a select few MD schools and no DO schools for the cycle entering in Fall 09. So far I have no interview invites and taking another "year off" looks like a likely possibility. Do you think an SMP is right for me? I know that it is a risky option and geared more towards those with higher MCAT scores and lower GPAs than me, but I really don't want to retake the MCAT. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

you don't really need to do an smp if you bring up your science gpa and mcat.

you don't really need to do an smp if you bring up your science gpa and mcat.

Thanks for the reply. I've considered just retaking the MCAT but I honestly don't know if I can improve much and it would be disastrous if I ended up doing worse. I am really attracted to applying to an SMP because of their high acceptance rates... I heard Loyola's MAMS program has somewhere around 80%? I know that it is ALOT of money and the workload is VERY intense, but I don't know how else to improve my science GPA since I've already graduated. Thanks in advance to any suggestions!

you can be a part time student at your state university and just take some science upper div science classes. if you want a good shot at MD schools, then you should consider more science classes or putting out the money to improve your mcat score. either options are better than putting yourself through an smp. there are probably people that get into MD schools with your stats, but thats not the norm. if want DO schools, your stats are competitive. As DrMidlife or Perrotfish, they offer indepth, knowledgable advice.

call the schools that reject and ask what you can do to improve your application. they can also tell you what they find as weaknesses in your application. this way you know exactly what you need to improve on.

Hey I am in the same boat at thechampion. I graduated in May08 with 3.42 sci GPA and 3.65 AO GPA. I took my MCATs in my senior yr when my courseload was overwhelming and I ended up doing really bad on MCATs with a score of 25R. I am currently working in a research lab at a biotech company and studying to retake my mcats in April/May09. Should I apply for SMP's or should I just retake mcats and apply next year?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

I have just above a 3.0 cumulative GPA with a degree in Molecular, Cellular, Developmental Biology, and got a 30S on my MCAT. Do I have a good chance of getting into an SMP program? If so, any recommendations on which to apply to? I would do anything to get into the Colorado State University program to stay in CO, has anyone gotten in there and can tell me if Im competitive for admission there, or if not where I should apply to have the best chances of getting in? Thanks guys.

Note to self: add Loma Linda, not that there's anything more than this to go on.

Thanks for the list. This is awesome. Appreciate your hard work!

how strict are these programs with their minimum of 3.0 gpa. most of their website doesn't state it clearly, like wayne state who says student may be entered as "qualified applicants". Whatever that means, anyone with any experience car to share?
thanks

Does Rosalind and Franklin still have a SMP program? The link don't work anymore.