Application fees not tax deductible!

Started by kdawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kdawg

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can you believe that all of our $$$ spent for application fees, DAT scores, secondary fees, and interview expenses are NOT tax deductible at all!?!?! What a complete joke.

From what I understand, expenses surrounding job interviews are tax deductible. So I assume that D4's applying for residencies or looking for jobs straight out of school can claim these costs. But for those of us who are in debt and took a major financial hit for all of our application expenses, we're just SOL. For me, that's like $4-5K!

That's messed up.
 
Yes, please share the source of this information. As you just blew my mind because I was planning to claim all that stuff.
 
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=362647
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=250321
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=178287
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=169390

...just to cite a few SDN threads. A quick search in TurboTax or other popular online tax prep services will tell you the same.

I guess I should note, though, that most predents aren't itemizing anyways. I never have, but it would have been more beneficial for me this year than the standard deduction if I could have claimed my app fees & interview costs.