Non Traditional Vet Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LovesAnimals

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are a few threads I found on here, but most were a year old or were just DO/MD students.

I have a BS in Business Administration and Marketing (and have business experience), and I currently am a 3rd grade teacher (Teach for America, so 2 year commitment, I teach in South Central Los Angeles).

I'm looking to go back for my pre-veterinary requirements. What's the best way to do it? Do you need to apply and get accepted at a local school? Will schools just let you take classes?

Since my liberal arts school covered a lot of my pre-reqs what I need is ALL the sciences. About 30 credits worth. I looked into 'second baccalaureates' but most schools don't do it, and it seems like too much work when I just need 30 science credits science.

I live down the street from Cal State Fullerton. Any ideas/suggestions on where to get started?

My husband is a vet student (Western 2010 and loves the program and is doing really well there), but we're actually looking to move after he graduates (it's just too expensive there for schooling and here for everything else ... plus we're getting sick of staring at peoples bumpers every day), so there isn't any particular school we're looking at for me. (we're originally from Central PA but moved out here in 2005 for a job offer I received, and then he ended up getting in to school 20 miles away so we stayed, so we're open)

My GPA is a 3.3 (so on the 'lower' side, but I went to a top tiered liberal arts school), I haven't taken the GREs yet, but I took the GMATs (grad exam to get into MBA programs) in undergrad and got a 600 out of 800 (not sure how comparable that is).

Thanks in Advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there! I'm a non-traditional vet student and have just about finished the process, so let me see if I can answer some questions for you. First off, many schools offer courses through a continuing education program, meaning you don't have to formally matriculate. I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in Biology, but I did my BA more than 7 years ago, so most of my courses had to be repeated. I took courses at a state school in New York (SUNY Purchase) that offered a Post-Baccalaureate Program in Pre-Medical studies. That allowed me to take all the courses I needed without matriculating into another degree program. It also allowed me to have a practice interview and get a committee letter of recommendation, which some Vet schools prefer. I would look for a Post-Bac program near you since most pre-med post-bac programs will have all the courses you need for Vet school admission.

If you need to determine what courses you'll need, people can help but most programs are different and require slightly different pre-reqs. Another thing to note is that many Vet school admissions committees do not place any weight on the quality of the undergrad institution you attend. Some do, but many do not. If you have a local option that is less expensive (like a State school), go for that!

As for your current GPA, don't let that deter you. Yes, Vet schools are extremely competitive, but your past will not keep you out. I had a lower GPA that you do now and I got into my first choice. There's more to the admissions matrix than GPA. I did take a lot of time to work for a vet and earn a lot of credits before I applied to schools, but if you are serious about it you can do it!

If you have any other questions, let me know. I'd be happy to discuss how to research what courses to take, how to prepare for the GREs, when/how to apply (VMCAS application and supplemental), and what types of experience to get. Good luck if you decide to pull the trigger and pursue a career in Veterinary Medicine!

Hi Mark!! Thanks so much for responding!

Continuing education! That's the word I was looking for! I'm in SoCal so there are a ton of local state schools around, I'll start checking them out, thanks!

I *just* started studying flashcards for the GREs (it's what my husband did to learn those vocab words), any other suggestions for GRE studying?

I worked for VPI Pet Insurance for a long time (not direct vet/animal experience) and learned a lot about patients charts (if nothing else!). Right now I'm transferring from teaching to 'something else' and I'm trying to figure out what that 'something else' should be. Since my husband is in school, I can't go and make $10/hr as a tech, but I could work/volunteer at night. Or I'm not sure what else. I have about 4 months until the end of the school year, when I need to get a new job. But I really want to get in the animal/vet experience

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the forum! And congrats on planning to go to vet school -- excellent choice. :) I'm a non-trad; did a PhD before deciding to apply to vet school, was accepted last year and deferred to establish residency, so I'm spending this year doing more research, and will be c/o 2012 at Penn! I can't wait! :)

I agree that it's not worth enrolling in a degree program. The grades you get in those classes are going to matter a lot more than where you take them. So do what Mark said and go where it's cheap! I have no idea what the GMAT is like, but I would get a book from Kaplan or the Princeton Review (get both -- learn Kaplan's strategies, and take PR's practice tests) to prep for the GRE.

If you can get a job that's vet-related, that will be perfect. If you can't (when are you planning to apply, BTW? I assume that working FT and needing 30 credit hours, it will be a couple of years -- but maybe you're superwoman!) then definitely spend as much of your free time as possible working in vet medicine and with animals. I know it seems like there's never enough time, but while I was finishing my degree, in lab 60-70 hours a week, I also worked 10 hours every Saturday as a vet tech, volunteered 2 mornings a week before work at a dog rescue shelter, and worked most of the day every Sunday at a rescue ranch for LA experience. I only decided to apply to vet school about 7 months before I actually did it, and luckily I was able to fit a lot of experience into a relatively short time frame. So it should also be possible for you to have an unrelated job and still get all the experience you need.

Oh, your GPA -- a lot of schools calculate a separate GPA for your science credits, and for your last 30 or 45 hours. So if you do very well in the prereqs you still need to take, that could help your old GPA a lot.

It also allowed me to have a practice interview and get a committee letter of recommendation, which some Vet schools prefer.

Just curious where you heard this. I've heard that for committee letters are basically required for med school admissions, but I've never even heard committee letters mentioned in the context of vet admissions.

Angie - congrats on Penn!!! I miss the good ol' state of Pennsylvania :D ... I'm not any wonder woman :laugh:. I'm looking at applying in a few years (think class of 2015 or 2016 if not even later). You fit in that experience quickly! I'm definitely going to try and get something related, but if not I have weekends! DH graduates in 2010, so once he graduates I'd have more freedom to take a full time 'related' job or work just part time, etc.

Great news about the GPA! I had no idea that I could bring it up post-bach!

FWIW DH also had a committee letter recommendation from our undergrad, they normally just do it for their MD students though. Not sure if that is or isn't why he got in though.

Taking a couple of years before you apply can really help. I know it helped me tremendously. For the GREs, I took a Kaplan Prep class. I'm not sure how much it helped in the overall scheme of things, but I can say it helped a little overall and a lot in specific areas. Most of the help was on the Verbal and Analytical writing sections, but the course did help me in the Quantitative section a bit. The Reading Comprehension sections in particular can be aced if you know the prep course strategy. I used their flash cards too, and even went so far as to read Moby Dick and memorize all the words I didn't know. That was a bit overboard on my part.

Angie mentioned something very important that I forgot. It seems like I had a different GPA for every program I applied to. With my grades (average for 120 credits as an undergrad then perfect for 70 credits as a post-bac) I figured I would be a better fit at an institution that weighted the last 45. As it turns out I got into a program that didn't, so in the end who knows. That extra push can make a big difference for a non traditional student, though.

VAgirl, I heard that from a couple of sources. One was a Vet school (I think it was LSU but my memory isn't clear). I wrote to a bunch of admissions offices before I decided to attempt to go to vet school and it came up somewhere. It was also recommended by my pre-vet advisor in my post-bac. She deals mostly with pre-meds, so maybe she crossed wires a bit. It also seemed like a logical thing to do for me since at least one vet school (Cornell) wanted a minimum of 2 recommendations from vets and one from an academic source and you get to send in 3 letters electronically via VMCAS. Of course, you can send extra letters via paper submission, but it seemed to fit well to have the committee letter. Either way it's not a big deal, but if the option to get a committee eval exists I would do it.

I am a pseudo non-traditional. Graduated with a degree in computer science before deciding to go the vet route. So I just skipped the whole working in my field part before changing my mind. So I am spending a year or two now taking all the science courses I need. Here are my thoughts:

Pre-med post-bac program. I applied to one, was accept and was ready to go. Until they told me half the classes I wanted were full and I would have to be put on a wait list after all the undergrad were given their shot at seat. The whole "program" would have been like flying standby with no guarantee of getting into any courses. If you go this route, find out how you are treated if classes fill up.

Continuing Ed. I had a great experience during the summer session, but during the normal school year I learned I again would get 0 priority. Getting into classes was hit or miss and I wouldnt know till the first day of class. Also, you never have any seniority so if a class always fills up, it is impossible to get in.(as is the case for Microbio Lab at my college).

Second Bachelors. The perfect match! My school had an animal science department and I talked to them before applying. They said it was common for people to apply to the second bachelors program just to finish pre-reqs with no intent of finishing the degree. So thats what I did. I am part time or full time depending on what classes I can get into. I am a matriculated student with 140 credits so I can also register for all my classes before all the undergrads. Cost is about the same as either of the other methods, I get first dibs on classes and I never have to wait till the first day of class to see if I am even in. Adds an incredible peace of mind not to have to worry about if you are going to be able to get into that final pre-req for the fall or spring semester.

Just my experiences. Whatever you do, just find out how you are ranked, will you be able to get into the classes you need, or if you will get whatever classes are leftover after the freshmen are done picking throw them.

Continuing Ed. I had a great experience during the summer session, but during the normal school year I learned I again would get 0 priority. Getting into classes was hit or miss and I wouldnt know till the first day of class. Also, you never have any seniority so if a class always fills up, it is impossible to get in.(as is the case for Microbio Lab at my college).

Second Bachelors. The perfect match! My school had an animal science department and I talked to them before applying. They said it was common for people to apply to the second bachelors program just to finish pre-reqs with no intent of finishing the degree. So thats what I did. I am part time or full time depending on what classes I can get into. I am a matriculated student with 140 credits so I can also register for all my classes before all the undergrads. Cost is about the same as either of the other methods, I get first dibs on classes and I never have to wait till the first day of class to see if I am even in. Adds an incredible peace of mind not to have to worry about if you are going to be able to get into that final pre-req for the fall or spring semester.

I had the same experience as you when I was going back for classes. I ended up enrolling full/part time as a regular second degree student. I got senior standing and first registering. It was great.

Hi Mark!! Thanks so much for responding!

Continuing education! That's the word I was looking for! I'm in SoCal so there are a ton of local state schools around, I'll start checking them out, thanks!

I *just* started studying flashcards for the GREs (it's what my husband did to learn those vocab words), any other suggestions for GRE studying?

I worked for VPI Pet Insurance for a long time (not direct vet/animal experience) and learned a lot about patients charts (if nothing else!). Right now I'm transferring from teaching to 'something else' and I'm trying to figure out what that 'something else' should be. Since my husband is in school, I can't go and make $10/hr as a tech, but I could work/volunteer at night. Or I'm not sure what else. I have about 4 months until the end of the school year, when I need to get a new job. But I really want to get in the animal/vet experience
You could go to Cal Poly through College of the Extended University (or something like that) to take your prereqs.

Not to mention that often you won't be able to get federal financial aid in a post-bacc or non-degree seeking option.

I'm in the same boat as david594. I've got a CS degree and decided towards the end of it that I wanted to do vet med, so I graduated with it, moved to a state with super inexpensive in-state tuition (Florida), worked for 3 months as a programmer and despised it, then took the good old $10/hour vet assistant job until I started back in school. I decided to opt for the second bachelors option as well and was lukewarm about whether I would finish it or not, except....

I absolutely fell head over heels in love with Genetics. I wanted to do research and I wanted it to count, so I decided to finish the second BS with an undergrad honors thesis. I probably could have gotten better grades if I hadn't done this and had just taken the pre-req courses I still needed without the research on the side and all the extra upper division science courses for my Molecular Biology & Microbiology major, but oh well. Grades aren't everything, and my GPA was still a major improvement on my prior one. I haven't gotten in yet, but I do have an interview at the one school to which I applied. I feel like I'm really well prepared because of my experiences, though. Good luck!

Oh yeah, and I've got a friend who's doing Teach for America in Atlanta. She seems to like it..

I'm looking at Cal Poly Pomona and UCLA Extension right now ... I found that most schools don't accept students for a second bachelors, but I'll look more!

nyanko - glad your friend likes it ... it's challenging ... to say the least

Thanks for all the info! Keep it coming! We should have a non-traditional vet thread here (not just one revolving around me :laugh: )

I am also a non-traditional applicant, but in a different situation. My current grades are good, and my GPA from 10 years ago is very bad. I mean "Animal House" bad. I have two waitlists, one interview, and one yet to hear...

The first thing I did was take classes at CSULB through extension services. This meant paying absurd 'by the credit' fees, and waiting for the first day of class to register. It is a viable option, but it sucks...
A friend of mine has a degree (like you) and had to pay even more absurd fees for post bacc non matric classes. I don't remember what he said, but it seems like $1k/class was about right...
Then I went to LBCC for a few semesters before matriculating at CSULB. This was good and bad... there is nothing wrong with a city college! You are close to Golden West, take advantage of it!
If your gen bio and gen chem are old, retake them. Take stats and math classes at a city college.
Upper division science should be at a 4 year school... you have time to figure this out (CSULB just changed to Ochem for bio majors, sounds like it is easier now.)
Get experience wherever you can. Maybe part time $10 tech after your real job?
Anyway, my point is: go for it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also a non-traditional applicant, but in a different situation. My current grades are good, and my GPA from 10 years ago is very bad. I mean "Animal House" bad. I have two waitlists, one interview, and one yet to hear...

The first thing I did was take classes at CSULB through extension services. This meant paying absurd 'by the credit' fees, and waiting for the first day of class to register. It is a viable option, but it sucks...
A friend of mine has a degree (like you) and had to pay even more absurd fees for post bacc non matric classes. I don't remember what he said, but it seems like $1k/class was about right...
Then I went to LBCC for a few semesters before matriculating at CSULB. This was good and bad... there is nothing wrong with a city college! You are close to Golden West, take advantage of it!
If your gen bio and gen chem are old, retake them. Take stats and math classes at a city college.
Upper division science should be at a 4 year school... you have time to figure this out (CSULB just changed to Ochem for bio majors, sounds like it is easier now.)
Get experience wherever you can. Maybe part time $10 tech after your real job?
Anyway, my point is: go for it!
Good luck on this years apps!!!

We must live close! I haven't taken Gen Bio (well I have but not for bio majors) or Gen Chem, Golden West does seem like a good idea though! I have an A in statistics, advanced statistics, and calculus so I won't need to re-take them for any reason.

I think a part time tech position would work for me. I'm trying to get a job at DHs old hospital, but they're in a hiring freeze right now!

Thanks for the encouragement! I hope this is your year!

I'm a non-trad too! I've worked in IT (info tech) for 12 years now (Bach of Bus Admin in IT) and after much thought, I decided to follow my heart and become a vet. I've been doing my pre-reqs for 4 years now (while continuing with my IT job to pay the bills) and recently had an interview at Mich State CVM. Hoping to hear from them soon.....:)

I started my pre-reqs at a community college and then transferred to a 4 year university as a post-bacc student to finish them up. As a post-bacc, I don't have to follow a formal degree program and I get first registration too - both are fabulous for me!!! :D

I took the GRE after 2 years of pre-req sciences and I think that helped me a lot. I also took the GMAT for my master's program but I ended up doing much better on the GRE than on the GMAT. Let me know if you have questions - I'll be happy to help! Good luck! :luck:

I have most of the sciences I need but they are old (8 years) so I am retaking some of the more major classes as a non-degree student. I decided to take them at a local state university then at a community college, as I was told by a counselor that it would look better to adcoms.
I do have to wait to register but I usually get in. Especially after the first two or three lectures when a lot of people drop out.

Sorry, I know this is several days old but -Oh my goodness, other non-trad. applicants -I'm so excited! I'm a non-traditional applicant also. Sometimes I feel a little lost because of that.

I have a BS in marine biology and a Master of Science in toxicology. I've worked in toxicology for over ten years now but decided to go back to what I originally wanted to do -veterinary medicine. My prerequisites were already taken during my BS degree (I was actually in pre-vet back then but decided to go for research in marine biology mostly because I felt my GPA was not going to be enough for vet). After all these years I actually did take the plunge and left my profession to be a $10/hour vet technician. I have learned a tremendous amount so I definitely recommend the experience thing - just be really careful in planning your finances though, I was not prepared enough and it was REALLY hard. One possibility if you just can't do the day work at a clinic (perfectly understandable), you might try to volunteer at an emergency clinic- their hours are usually at night.

I also went back and took not just a prereq. course I did not have and did well, I also took a graduate level Physio. course that was really tough just to add evidence to my schooling ability even though my grad. GPA was a 3.8. I did this because even though I had proven myself in grad school the undergraduate GPA is still looked at heavily:(. I was advised of this plan by my veterinarian and others - at first it seems like a bit much but in the end it makes alot of sense - people already there really do know what they are talking about.

It has taken alot of perseverance and unique challenges to do this the non-traditional way but I have an interview coming up and am really excited!
Congrats to everyone else who has taken the challenge to go back and do what we really want!

Non-trad checking in, here. There are more of us than you think floating around here.
I think I'm surviving my first application cycle. It's taken a while to get here, but I'm here.

Another non-trad checking in here. I graduated with my BA in 1995, worked in retail and a number of crappy office jobs until 2000 (because my degree was not relevant to anything!) and then got a job as a vet assistant/tech. I loved it so much I decided to go to vet school. I started taking classes at a branch of University of Cincinnati in 2002 - I had to go part time and work full time. I also had to take pretty much all the science prereqs, and some of the math, since it had been so long since I had had any. My original GPA in 95 was a 3.02; I got a 4.0 in my science prereqs, and kicked butt on the GRE (1480). I only applied to my in-state school, since I really can't even afford that, interviewed on the first day of interviews, and got a call the next day saying I was accepted. I think being a non-trad really helped me, and one of the first questions they asked me was what changed for me to go from a 3.0 to a 4.0. It was a great opportunity for me to talk about my commitment and direction.

Anyway - good luck to you! The first year of vet school has been a big adjustment, but it's going very well so far. The best thing you can do is to do well in your sciences and on the GRE, IMO. It's a long road, but I'm sure it's going to be worth it!

Hi there, I'm one too - worked in information technology for 10 years before taking the leap toward vet med (Aggiedonk, I totally hear you about quitting your job and making a LOT less money!) This is my 2nd application cycle.

I took many prereqs through UC Berkeley extension - they have online courses as well as classroom ones in this area - maybe UC Irvine or UC Riverside might have the same? Good luck!

Hi everyone!
Thanks for replying - it's so great to hear your stories- this has been such a long road and it's not done yet. During these past two years I've really fretted about being an older student etc.
What do you think vet school will be like once we are in? What about home responsibilities and stuff, do you think it will more difficult than for those who don't have much to worry with outside of school? I guess you can't really pigeonhole that though, everyone has something else going on ...:confused:

So awesome to hear everybody's stories...Don't get discouraged. I was so worried making the switch because I was starting with a fine arts degree in Musical Theater with literally 0 science courses. Somehow along the way I've been taken seriously by people and I think that the schools love the non-traditional students to help boost the diversity of the school. Every place I've applied to has commented on my being an actor, and now going into a science field.
If you are making the switch, just do it. Go to any college where you can take the courses, get any kind of job working with animals even volunteering. If you want it, be gung-ho about it!!! Your passion will permeate your application, and your excitement for the work will translate to their excitement for you to join their program.

JambaJac, that's funny...I have a B.A. in Theatre Production, so I know what you mean!

I definitely had to make some big adjustments when I started school - it's been so long since I was in school full-time that I forgot what it is like. We don't have kids, so that's not an issue, but some of the other "home" responsibilities sometimes fall by the wayside - laundry often gets washed but not put away, etc. And it can be frustrating when your spouse is watching some great show on TV and you know you just CAN'T - because you have an exam the next day. But that's what DVR is for, I guess!

I had the same experience as you when I was going back for classes. I ended up enrolling full/part time as a regular second degree student. I got senior standing and first registering. It was great.

I am doing something like this now. I am now 28 years old. I had a Bachelor's in a liberal arts field... worked abroad teaching English to foreigners until I decided to return to the US and pursue this vet thing. I came home needing almost everything in the sciences!

So I applied to UW (Seattle) as a post-bac, expecting to take two years as a non-degree seeking student... and to pack all those pre-reqs in and get them done quickly.

But, things changed slightly... Last April I switched from non-degree-seeking to degree-seeking status. Now I'm in my third full year as a declared bio major. Why? Well, I wanted to get into some particular classes. It also helped me get more financial aid (For unsubsidized Stafford Loans, you can only get 4 consecutive quarters as a non-degree-seeking post-bac, be forewarned) and it allowed me to take my time and enjoy my studies/preparation a bit more. I will graduate this June with my B.S. to add to my B.A. from 2001.

I probably should have applied to vet school this year, but I am going to wait and do it next year. In the lag year I hope to get more animal experience (though I do already have some), work (to start paying off those student loans) and, hopefully, take a big trip before I become a slave to the studies again.

Yay for non-traditional students!! :) I have a Bachelor's and Master's in Social Work, and am now working on the pre-reqs. I think that everyone who has a "non-traditional" background has something to bring to the table in veterinary medicine, no matter what you have done up to this point! I know the skills I have developed as a social worker will help me in this field. I also had very few science classes in school, but I am finding that this time around, I am doing much better because I am genuinely interested in the subject material. A little maturity helps, too (I'm 26 now)!! :)

I'm so excited about this forum, especially so that non-trads like ourselves can unite. :D

oooh lots of non-traditionals coming out of the word work! :D It's so awesome to hear about everyone's successes, challenges, motivations, etc!

I applied for my first $10/hour vet tech job! It's quite different then what I'm making now, and it'll definitely have to be a second job for me, but I'm excited!!! :luck:

The only thing that makes me go :scared: is when DH is in midterms/finals week (which is this week), it's quite stressful to watch (and definitely more stressful to go through), but it's all worth it in the end!

Wow, this is a great thread! It really gives me hope that I can make it. I have been so discouraged the past year or so because I am trying to finally realize my dream and pursue becoming a vet but I just keep getting obstacles thrown at me. I am 24 years old and have 2 associate degrees(Computers and an Arts(gen ed). I HOPE I can start in the summer on the prereqs and try to get them done in 3 semesters. It is so difficult trying to work full-time and try to go to school full-time(haven't in a year, only part-time) and doing all I can to give my wife everything she wants and pay bills. It is tough, very tough. BUT she is fully supportive and loving and I couldn't ask for more.
For the past year I had felt like a failure because of my previous college work and then trying to go and do something else so a little bit of depression and anxiety started setting in. I think once I am on track and start taking these pre-vet requirements all that will get better.

I wonder though, will I have a tough time getting accepted since I just have a couple associates degrees or should I attempt to get a bachelor's also.

You all are great, stay positive everyone!

Another non-traditional here. I have just been accepted to vet school after 20 years in a lucrative career (of course that puts me in my early 40's) My one challenge right now is the reality of our financial position changing is just now really "hitting home" for my husband. He is supportive of me, but is also somewhat uneasy. Any encouraging words that anyone could share?

We are not alone. This is my first application cycle. I have my MS in occupational therapy and have worked in human healthcare for the last 8 plus years. I took the majority of my prereqs through community colleges in my area. It was much cheaper than a University or private college. They also had more night classes. I was able to continue to work as an OT until this past summer. I then quit my well paying OT job to work as a receptionist in a SA clinic. I agree, the money change sucks big time. I have discovered, though, that you can make it work...you just have to sacrifice a lot. Unfortunately, ramen and bologna are cheaper than fresh fruit and veggies. Gross.

The important thing to remember is that you CAN do it. It will be stressful and painful at times but it is possible.

I don't mind making the sacrifice myself, but I don't feel like I can impose too much of this on my husband. I guess I sound somewhat ill-prepared after making it thus far, but while I am VERY excited about following my true passion - I am a bit scared about the unknown. Does that make sense? I guess it's just vet school jitters...:scared:

Another non-trad checking in... Wow the stories I could tell.

1st off - go for it. The whole experience if you allow it can be amazing, rewarding, heart wrenching, difficult, and challenging but you know what? You'll love it!

My story... hmmm I have one degree in Environmental Science. I am much older early 30’s and I have a full time job with a good career future in energy conservation, but alas I want to be a vet. My husband is a full-time student who works part-time. I am the primary for covering our bills while he’s a full time student. When I start vet school that will flip. This change of career started out after watching him really love all of his classes and “what if” conversations after I got into helping out at humane societies. I also grew up on a beef farm so it’s a bit of return to my roots deal as well.

How I made the switch. I took my resume into my local vet’s office and asked her if I was crazy. She said NO and changed my life forever. I started volunteering at her clinic doing anything anyone needed me to do. Her client's and staff all kept encouraging me. So about six months later I signed up for my first course that I needed. I have now been working for that vet for the past 3 years part-time.

Biggest advice I can give is volunteer first make sure you REALLY want this and you understand what Vet Med is all about. You want to fully understand the good and the bad and be sure to picture yourself as the Vet in the random roles you will see come through a clinic. Ask yourself what would I do? Could I handle that? Those are some hard questions but making sure will solidify your convictions on this change of career.

Then start slow with classes, remember you want very good grades this go around. I would only sign up for one class the first semester. That way you boost your confidence and it will help you adjust to being an older student in a sea of young and most likely competitive pre-med/pre-vet students. Keep in mind you may fall short of perfect grades and you’ll have to dust yourself off and jump in again if this is really what you want (FYI people get into vet school with a B here and there and gasp a C or two just don’t aim for these).

As for what program/status to sign up for: check out all the schools around you and compare. You will be amazed at what you find. Also, keep in mind that you know yourself including your weakness so with that in mind don’t over do it. Also, with a full time job myself I would HIGHLY recommend a close campus.

If you have a spouse which most of us non-traditional types have keep in mind the time that having a spouse requires to maintain that good relationship that at one point in your life was your focus (i.e. don’t take them for granted in the process). There will be sacrifices but remember you are now half of a team so include that other person in the process… it will save you a lot of stress and you will need them SO much to keep pushing you forward.

I choose to go the 2nd BS route. It worked b/c I was able to always get into the classes I wanted. Also, don’t be afraid to take classes from other schools and on-line courses are a huge benefit. I took classes at three colleges one semester. Get to know the biology department and you will find they can be very helpful and open up doors you may not consider. One department member became my pre-vet advisor and started attending the advisee meetings put on by my state Vet school. She also pushed me to do research at our local zoo. I now shadow the zoo vet on the weekends and participate in procedures.

Also by being a degree seeking you qualify for financial aid. So that is a bonus just remember there is a cap to how much you can receive for an undergrad degree (one and/or two degrees its around 45K). You don’t have to be full time to get financial aid you can be just part-time (6 credit hours, I think). Also, if you have prior financial aids loans and you go back to school your loans go into deferment (good and bad). Best course would be to pay for classes as you go along but that is easier said than done.

Also, consider everything your new school can offers. I made a point to get to know some of my classmates and found out about an Americorp program. I paralleled that with the work I was doing at a local humane society. My volunteer time that I needed for vet school app counted for the program which earned me an ed-award…. That is money for school! Also it doesn’t hurt to have Americorp on my vet app!

So get out there and get cracking. It is really important like everyone has said to do well on the GRE, pre-requisites, and to get in the experience. Also, prepare yourself to really put your heart and soul into this and feel the sting of rejection a time or two. You’ll learn, you’ll get better, and you’ll move forward. I’ll be a 2nd time applicant but I learned a lot this application cycle and in the end it will be best to wait a year as my DH will finish his program come May ‘09 so he’ll be employed full-time. It is a process but anything worth having is never easy.

My big debate now is if we should take the plunge and add a kid to the mix since I technically have the time come May as all my pre-requisites and my 2nd BS will be done. So that just leaves my day job and any extra experience I want to pick up (continue with). I will be applying this next application cycle. I find it hard to imagine raising a child while being in school but I also find it hard to imagine waiting another 5 years to add a child to our family. My husband is ready for either path but he’s a big fan of the kid sooner rather than later. Add to that I have great benefits at my current job. If only we all had a crystal ball!

Hey everyone! Sure is great to see all of us who aren't your typical 21 year old give this a shot. I'm barely a non-traditional, but even at 23 (almost 24) I feel out of the loop. It's hard to compete with the people who always only wanted to be vets and have thousands of hours of experience, but I'm hoping that having thought everything through and considered other careers will help our cause.

The biggest hurdle for me is timing and getting enough experience; that's what keeps me up at night. I find the idea of approaching random vets and asking to shadow them intimidating, although I work in a shelter and love dealing with both people and animals there. I know this is silly. I guess I'm in the enviable position of having had lots of science classes in my undergrad, so I only am a few biology classes short (between a BA in Chemistry and German, I've done some interesting coursework). And I don't have to worry about my GPA; it's well above average across the board. So why am I so insecure? I'm sure you guys understand. Also, being married and considering starting a family on top of vet school makes the next few years look daunting. As they say, life is what happens to you while you're making other plans.

To all of those potential vet student spouses out there--I just want to say thanks for the support! I know I sincerely value the support and love of my husband in this process. Hang in there--we'll get through it!

DrKsomeday - Thanks for writing all your info! ... I know what you mean on fitting kids in it all ... I can't imagine being a vet for another 7 years (or more) but I can't imagine waiting to have kids that long ... crystal ball would be nice LOL

I guess I could tell my story. I will be celebrating my 28th birthday soon. I didn't decide I wanted to be a vet until around my 24th birthday. My experience has been pretty similar to others here.

I have a degree from a top 10 school that I don't use. (It's in political science.) I didn't really care much about anything other than graduating because I was determined not to go back to school. :laugh::laugh::laugh: My GPA was good, 3.64, but after I got my first job, I found it unfulfilling. I was offered other jobs in my field, but I turned them down and back to where I went to college and got a job as a nanny. I began taking career aptitude tests and general practitioner kept coming up. I though, well, I don't want to work as a human doctor, but maybe being a vet would fit. I started shadowing my dog's vet and loved it. :love::love: Then I started taking my pre-reqs at the state university near where I was living. Since I wanted to apply to a good number of schools (ended up applying to 6 schools), it took me 3.5 years to fit in all the pre-reqs going to school part-time and working part- to full-time. (Usually I had more than one part-time job.) Fortunately, I have a very supportive family!

My pre-req GPA was around a 3.85 and my GRE was on the good side of okay. Last time was my first application cycle. I got into my three top choice schools and decided to come to UTK.

So keep at it non-traditionals!! :):):)

DrKsomeday - Thanks for writing all your info! ... I know what you mean on fitting kids in it all ... I can't imagine being a vet for another 7 years (or more) but I can't imagine waiting to have kids that long ... crystal ball would be nice LOL

Seconded. A crystal ball would be nice sometimes... but I figure you make the best of what happens, and that includes children. Think about how much we would have loved to grow up with a veterinarian parent--let's hope they feel the same way, no matter when they come along!

I though, well, I don't want to work as a human doctor, but maybe being a vet would fit. I started shadowing my dog's vet and loved it. :love::love:

I'm really curious how you conveyed that in a personal statement?

I'm trying to come up with thoughts to outline mine, but coming up at a loss because "Every since I was little..." I haven't wanted to be a vet. Nor have I ever had a puppy with a broken leg, or some other traumatic childhood pet encounter. I'm afraid I'm going to come off sound less committed saying this is only something I realized I wanted to do a little over a year ago.

Another non-traditional here. I have just been accepted to vet school after 20 years in a lucrative career (of course that puts me in my early 40's) My one challenge right now is the reality of our financial position changing is just now really "hitting home" for my husband. He is supportive of me, but is also somewhat uneasy. Any encouraging words that anyone could share?

I noticed your post. What was your 20 year career in? Could you do some consulting work on the side? I know Vet school will be extremely intense but is that even a possibility. Consulting is something I am really considering with my own job if I get into vet school. I probable won't take on major projects but something small here and there. I also plan to offer to my boss to continue to maintain aspects of my current job while they look for a replacement. My boss is rather lazy so I maybe able to hang on to some income that way. If it gets to much I would even consider subbing out the work to a college undergrad whose looking for an internship. I have one intern currently and know of a few others that would love to get any experience in my current field. I guess my point is think outside the box; we are older and should be able to approach this from another angel.
Good luck!:luck:

I'm trying to come up with thoughts to outline mine, but coming up at a loss because "Every since I was little..." I haven't wanted to be a vet. Nor have I ever had a puppy with a broken leg, or some other traumatic childhood pet encounter. I'm afraid I'm going to come off sound less committed saying this is only something I realized I wanted to do a little over a year ago.

Basically I talked about what my life experience brought to the table and how seeing the good and bad sides of my other job as well as the good and bad sides of vet med, made me realize that even after a terrible day at the vet's office, it was still the only thing that kept me interested, happy, and wanting to learn more!

Hopefully this helps!

Why not? I'll post my story too :D. I'll be turning 26 this summer. I got married very young (18) and left college after 1 year. My husband got stationed in Alaska, and I went back to school for "something practical", which was a "secretarial degree". One day I saw an ad for a kennel tech at a local paper, applied, and got the job. I knew I wanted to be a vet right after that. We moved to VA, and I went back to school for a BS degree in chemistry. At the same time, I got a job as a receptionist at the emergency clinic and later on became an assistant there. So...long story short, I'll be graduating with my BS in chemistry with 176 credits total :laugh: (can't successfully combine Christian liberal arts, office management, and chemistry credits into one degree :laugh:). I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything! I like how crazy, busy, and interesting my life has been so far and don't regret taking the long road to get to vet. med.:D So YAY! One more vote for non-traditional students!

I noticed your post. What was your 20 year career in? Could you do some consulting work on the side? I know Vet school will be extremely intense but is that even a possibility. Consulting is something I am really considering with my own job if I get into vet school. I probable won't take on major projects but something small here and there. I also plan to offer to my boss to continue to maintain aspects of my current job while they look for a replacement. My boss is rather lazy so I maybe able to hang on to some income that way. If it gets to much I would even consider subbing out the work to a college undergrad whose looking for an internship. I have one intern currently and know of a few others that would love to get any experience in my current field. I guess my point is think outside the box; we are older and should be able to approach this from another angel.
Good luck!:luck:

Thanks for your thoughts/support!

Yes, I am even now approaching my current employer (Fortune 50 Company)to potentially work on some smaller projects (perhaps as a "consultant-type") during vet school - which could mean only over Christmas break and during the first couple of summers.

I am really looking forward to really exploring all the options available to me as a DVM while in vet school. My heart tells me to go into practice, but my head is considering much more - even coming back to my company with a new business venture/platform they are considering that would just fit the bill. It is this type of "security" that will make my husband sleep better, so I will be talking with upper management later next week...

I just needed all of the ducks to fall into place first for me to begin to pursue these options, and as much as this is my passion and my dream, I feel owe it to my marriage of 17 years to be smart about this (and to direct my anxiety and drive into pursuing fulfilling and fruitful options).

i think a lot of great advice has already been offered here, so i'll try not to repeat anything that's already been said:

1. when studying for the GRE, try to get some computer-based practice in...it's a lot different taking the computer-based exam than it is studying from a book.

2. obviously, try to do well academically, but i think it's also really important to have some good solid animal/vet experiences, so fit in in where you can. it's tough to balance returning to school with carrying your "real" job with getting animal experience, but it's totally possible and totally worth it! good luck!

What I did for my personal statement was focus on the changes in my life and in my career that made me want to pursue vet med. I also talked about how my job gave me skills that would carry forward into vet med (e.g. communication and problem solving).

Well, I don't know that you'll find this encouraging, but I do want to let you know you are not alone--I just turned 42 in February.

I don't know how lucrative a salary you are leaving behind, but veterinarians do have good earning potential. This is just a 4 year hiatus from being paid a salary and you will potentially have even greater earnings depending on what you do with your degree.

I know the financial aspects are nothing to sneeze at. My husband is only earning half of what he did before our move, and all I am doing is costing us money. But we both look at this as a short term investment because even if I end up taking out loans, the fact that he can support us means I can pay back any debt in just a couple of years once I start practicing.

In any event, earning a great salary is obviously not the answer you were seeking, because otherwise you would still be doing what you were doing before you decided to pursue a veterinary career. I can only assume your husband wants you to be happy and fulfilled for the rest of your working life, and any adjustments to your financial picture will more than be made up for by your happiness.

To those of you non-traditionals wondering about having kids, the choice is obviously yours. I will say that having kids and attending vet school can be done, but having kids and excelling is very, very difficult. When push comes to shove, being a mom always comes first, and sometimes I have to sacrifice a better grade or an opportunity to study with classmates, and that's just the way it is. I think that I would wait until at least 3rd year to have kids, given the choice.

Of course, I've had a very difficult couple of weeks dealing with an issue with one of my daughters, and I missed a test and a lab in the process. Fortunately, the administration and the professors at UTK are VERY kind and understanding and I have been allowed to make these up. But I recognize every single day that I might not always have this opportunity, and still I will do what I need to do as a mother, even if it costs me GPA points. Just recognize that there is a cost.

OK, enough of that. Be proud of yourselves for following your dream and know that you can do this!!!

Well, I don't know that you'll find this encouraging, but I do want to let you know you are not alone--I just turned 42 in February.

I don't know how lucrative a salary you are leaving behind, but veterinarians do have good earning potential. This is just a 4 year hiatus from being paid a salary and you will potentially have even greater earnings depending on what you do with your degree.

I know the financial aspects are nothing to sneeze at. My husband is only earning half of what he did before our move, and all I am doing is costing us money. But we both look at this as a short term investment because even if I end up taking out loans, the fact that he can support us means I can pay back any debt in just a couple of years once I start practicing.

In any event, earning a great salary is obviously not the answer you were seeking, because otherwise you would still be doing what you were doing before you decided to pursue a veterinary career. I can only assume your husband wants you to be happy and fulfilled for the rest of your working life, and any adjustments to your financial picture will more than be made up for by your happiness.

Exactly, critterfixer! He does want me to be happy and I KNOW this is what I am supposed to do - so we'll make it work. We have no children, so we don't have those issues to contend with - making what you are doing even more admirable and challenging!

Onward and upward for all of us!!!!!

I'm pretty non-traditional. I dropped out of highschool at 16, then went straight to community college, and got my degree in mortuary science. I worked in a funeral home for awhile, and decided that I HATED the used-car salesmen aspect of it. I hopped stupid jobs for a few years (funeral home, making microchips in a clean room, body piercer...) and decided that I needed a REAL career (and I realized that I needed to start ASAP if I wanted to get my doctorate before I turned 30). I went back to school with the intent of getting my BA in biology, then applying to dental school. Just recently, I've been putting a lot of thought into it, and I think going into dentistry, while it might pay better, and be less stressful, overall, won't make me as happy (I still might apply as a backup plan though). Ever since I was little (like 7 or 8), my dad always referred to me as "his future veterinarian." I figured I should do what I've always wanted to do. I'd rather take a fulfilling career over a stable one.

:smuggrin:Ohmigosh, I can't believe I never came across this thread before! It makes me so happy to read about everyone's experiences, and it's so comforting to see that non-traditional students make up a larger portion of the applicant pool than I'd thought!

I graduated in 1998 (early!) with a BS in animal science and decided that, since I had rushed through school to finish early, the last thing I wanted to do was jump back in and keep going. Well that, and, I'd written off vet school because I didn't want to be in debt for the rest of my life :laugh:. I kept working in animal-related fields though, eventually went back to school part time for a masters and now fulltime for a phd. So now that I'm poor - and still in school - anyway :D, I've realized my reasons for not going to vet school were quite flawed!

So, make it happen! Lol, one day the non-trads will rule the vet-school-world!:)

OK then, Critterfixer and Bclover:
cat's out of the bag...I'm 42 also!!! Yay for us!

And DrKsomeday, I noticed on your post you are in environmental science - so am I. My Masters in toxicology is actualy ecological toxicology and I have been working in environmental science for the past 12 years:).

Good luck to all of us! With a little planning and time management I'm sure we will all do just fine and we'll make great vets because what better show of dedication than to get off the easy road and go for what we truly love and want to do. It certainly would be easier not to do it, at least for me anyway.
Then again, maybe not because there would always be the regret that I didn't even try.

Just own it. Tell the truth and don't waffle. You've realized this is what you want to do, and you mean it.

I started my personal statement with "I never had pets growing up" (which is true). I also mentioned that I always got really angry in college whenever somebody assumed I wanted to be a doctor just because I was a biology major. I had no interest whatsoever in medicine until I started having to do clinically related stuff as part of my doctoral research. Then I discovered that I liked *medicine* a whole lot, just not the human medical system. :rolleyes: Adcoms just ate up the fact that I'm a scientist first and a clinician second. Also, most of my experience was with unowned animals (wildlife-watching, shelter, research) which gave a somewhat different perspective on animal issues that, again, adcoms seemed to appreciate. I was frank about the fact that I only really decided to apply the summer before I actually applied, and nobody questioned my commitment. You might be surprised at the number of vet school faculty members who *didn't* want to be a vet since they were 3, and came to their current position by a somewhat non-traditional route.

Thanks Kate.

I figured out I really liked medicine a few years ago when I became an EMT. Loved the medical side of things, but the rest of it just never clicked for me. The bads of human medicine far outweighed the good(in my mind).

Spent the last 8 months working at a clinic and have yet to see a dog or cat come in because they crashed their car while drunk, overdosed, or tried to break into a strangers house while high as a kite.

oooh lots of non-traditionals coming out of the word work! :D It's so awesome to hear about everyone's successes, challenges, motivations, etc!

I applied for my first $10/hour vet tech job! It's quite different then what I'm making now, and it'll definitely have to be a second job for me, but I'm excited!!! :luck:

The only thing that makes me go :scared: is when DH is in midterms/finals week (which is this week), it's quite stressful to watch (and definitely more stressful to go through), but it's all worth it in the end!

$10.00 an hour for Vet Tech? You must live in Florida because I live in Florida and thats what starting pay is, and in lots of places ending pay LOL

If you apply at a shelter plan on only making Min Wage which is $6.77 an hour at the moment. Best of luck to ya!;)