Non Traditional Vet Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks Kate.

I figured out I really liked medicine a few years ago when I became an EMT. Loved the medical side of things, but the rest of it just never clicked for me. The bads of human medicine far outweighed the good(in my mind).

Spent the last 8 months working at a clinic and have yet to see a dog or cat come in because they crashed their car while drunk, overdosed, or tried to break into a strangers house while high as a kite.

AMEN !!! LOL :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I live in Southern California, our minimum wage is $8/hr. So $10 is not unreasonable for vet techs. With experience most seem to make between $12 and $17 an hour.

Wow - Im so pscyhed to see this thread come to life! I've been periodically checking in on this forum for almost 3 years now, slowly chipping away at the prereqs while working in a research lab, then dairy farm, and now as a vet assistant at a mixed animal practice (for $10/hour - seems to be the magic number!)

Im 26 years old and definitely nontraditional with a BA in Art (2004) and will finally be applying this upcoming cycle, thank god! Just looking at the AAVMC web site literally makes my stomach turn. Anyone else out there wanna hurl every time you see the words "application" or "admissions"? And I seriously lose sleep at night worrying that the one science professor who knows me well and will write my letter of rec this summer is going to get struck by lightning. Boy I can't wait till this is over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sambone - YAY for being done! Good luck with the next cycle! It's all going to be worth it in the end. The words admissions and application also make me want to hurl. LOL

I'm one who has wanted to be a vet since I can remember, got into the wrong profession for the past 20 years, and am graduating my youngest from high school in May. Does anyone else get funny looks when someone asks what you "want to do"? Or better yet, has anyone taken classes along with students that graduated high school with one of your kids?

Support like this thread keeps me going full steam ahead. Thanks!

I have gotten the puzzled look when I mention that I have children. I then get the jaw drop when I tell them how old they are.
I'm not even gonna get started on music.
It's just the age of the person you're talking to. Most of the time, they get over it. If they don't, it's their problem.

I'm grateful for this thread too--I'll be 35 next week!:eek: No kids, though--quite the contrary. I'm always getting the "Aren't you EVER gonna have a kid?" speech from my Mom. At the rate I'm going, I'll be a first-time mom in my 40s, or posting in the "Pregnant in Vet School" thread from some time ago.

My husband gave me a card last week, after my first rejection letter. On the front is the following quote from George Eliot: "It is never too late to be what you might have been."

Here's to non-trads!!! :D

My husband gave me a card last week, after my first rejection letter. On the front is the following quote from George Eliot: "It is never too late to be what you might have been."

Here's to non-trads!!! :D

Hey guppy, thanks for sharing that - that's great!

If you apply at a shelter plan on only making Min Wage which is $6.77 an hour at the moment.

*sigh* So true, but I love my shelter job. Oddly enough, the customer service aspect of my work there is what I think will be most helpful in my vet school application; I've found I love working with people AND animals, together, and that gives me hope that this really is the right field for me.

Now if I could just decide when to apply... before or after children. Time to send that e-mail to MN and ask how old pre-req classes can be, since I'm almost done with all of them and I don't want to have to re-take them if I decide to do family first. It's good to see others in here who have had kids before their veterinary careers. Yay for non-traditionals!

:hello:

<----- non-trad... 31 years old... married... graduated college in '97...

<---- went back for pre-req's in 2002, one at a time, while working FT

:thumbup:

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
--Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"

:welcome:Alright non-trads! :biglove:

I didn't post my info in this thread.
33yrs old, 3 children (12, 9, and 7). My dh and I decided that I would stay home to give them a solid educational foundation.
I have three gifted students out of three to show for my effort.
I took pre-reqs off and on, when they were big enough to leave for a few hours, and I could trust my husband with them. :rolleyes:
I went full time in 2005 and completed my BS in animal sciences in 2007.
Getting experience in this town is nearly impossible. You have to come in with a lot of experience or networks to get into a clinic, so I didn't end up with a job. I shadowed. I went on RAVS trips as a pre-vet. I volunteer.
I could tell some hair raising stories about working two jobs with a full course load (and three kids), but I don’t plan to, right now. I have a great job, now! So, I don’t complain.
This was my first cycle. I was waitlisted at Illinois, which was the only place I applied, and the only place I will apply. I didn’t really think I would get an interview. As I said before, I don’t have as lot of experience hours. I’ll be upping those hours this time around to increase my stats and taking a class or two each semester as I can afford it. I will also do whatever else Mary tells me to do in my feedback session.

I'm 40, my last kid (2 total) graduates HS in May, newly remarried (3 adult step-kids & 2 spouses), worked in my current job 20 years last month, went back the week after my son graduated high school. I never went to college after HS, so am on the 5 year undergrad plan - lots of catching up since the last science class was in 1984!

I started volunteering at a spay/neuter clinic on sat, then they hired me on. I've also done RAVS - great if you don't have much spare time.

Trying to go full time this next fall so I can get my lab classes done - hard to get those done on your lunchtime!

"On my lifepath I don't have forks in the road, I have roundabouts!"

I'm 40, my last kid (2 total) graduates HS in May, newly remarried (3 adult step-kids & 2 spouses), worked in my current job 20 years last month, went back the week after my son graduated high school. I never went to college after HS, so am on the 5 year undergrad plan - lots of catching up since the last science class was in 1984!

I started volunteering at a spay/neuter clinic on sat, then they hired me on. I've also done RAVS - great if you don't have much spare time.

Trying to go full time this next fall so I can get my lab classes done - hard to get those done on your lunchtime!

"On my lifepath I don't have forks in the road, I have roundabouts!"

That is why I did them. I missed the deadline this year, or I would be going this summer. :( I went on one of the last weekend long ones the year before last and one that was a week long last year. It's the best place to learn how to work in a team, too. It's play nice boot camp.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey CookieBear! I'm a 1997 grad too (B.A. in English)...then pre-vet, then career-avoidance, and now back to the pre-vet track! I think the school-of-life has helped solidify what's important to me. Just this past year of applying has helped me become more confident that this career decision is the right one for me. :)

Hey CookieBear! I'm a 1997 grad too (B.A. in English)...then pre-vet, then career-avoidance, and now back to the pre-vet track! I think the school-of-life has helped solidify what's important to me. Just this past year of applying has helped me become more confident that this career decision is the right one for me. :)

:laugh: I'm a BA in English too. Changed my major from Bio to English multiple times in undergrad, as I suffered that crisis of knowing what I wanted to do, but believing I just couldn't do it.

Later, I registered a couple times between '97 and '02, but always dropped the pre-req a week or two later.

Finally, in '02, I sucked it up and plowed ahead. My list of pre-req's grew shorter year by year as I crossed one off each semester!

Second time's the charm for me as far as applying went! :luck:

I guess it really sometimes is about figuring out "what you want to be when you grow up" - and turning hardcore enough to pursue it.

All you guys are great!
I'm a prime example.....52 yrs old, grandmother of 4, finally graduating BS in Molecular Bio. this May! Just got accepted to RVC and am interviewing with Ross next week.:hardy:

We can do anything we set our minds to!

Welcome Bwittpowers! Nice to add some more non-trads to the list.

I'm 36 myself...I'll add my story once I get in somewhere. Let me know if you have any questions about Ross (interviewed and accepted January, declined):)

I've been considering my future options lately, and I figure that this is probably a good thread to start. I'm currently working within the biotech/pharma industry as an associate. I work at the bench and with laboratory animals (rodents mostly), and also do some number crunching in between those two activities. My background is in Pharmacology, I earned an MS in it back in late 2006.

When doing my MS, I realized that I liked science, but I did not love it enough to warrant going after a doctorate in the degree. The long time commitment, coupled with having to do a post-doc, the shaky science job market, and the academic environment all contributed to my decision.

However, after roughly a year and a half later, I'm liking my current job, but I realize that in order to really progress my career forward, I will need a doctorate of some type. Hence why I'm considering the DVM degree. I have always had an interest in animals, and my experience conducting experiments with rats and mice has made me wonder about the doors that a DVM degree can open when coupled with my pharmacology background.

However, grades and schooling aside, I have little experience working with animals, or from just being around a vet (aside from my own family related visits). This isn't to say I haven't participated in any extracurriculars, I have, but they weren't oriented towards animal care or the veterinary field.

My question to the other non-trads here is - how do you overcome the lack of exposure to the field? Do you actively take time out of your daily routines to work in an animal hospital? Do you have to become a vet tech in order to really get a handle on the reality of veterinary medicine? (I should mention that I would hate to have to leave my current job in order to get such experience, especially since I am getting some exposure while on the job working with rodents.) If you have any advice, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

You are not expected to have 1000's upon 1000's of hrs like someone that has been on this path since high school. Your current career can count for a lot if you can explain HOW you would apply that to vet med, and I guarantee they will ask you that at every interview you go to.

The main thing is that you show you have a good understanding of this broad field. I was not asked 1 technical question at any of my interviews, but I know many people much younger than me, that had tons of experience were just pounded with them. So, you don't have to go out and immerse yourself in a poop scooping job. Go out and work in as many different types of vet related jobs as possible, even if it's just a couple hundred hours worth at each. Heck even 40 or 50 hours at some places is great. Think "general concepts" while you are there and don't try to be a vet yourself just yet.

For other non-trads out there: Ideally, you would concentrate on carrying a heavy courseload and acing all of your classes. That will open up so many more doors for you than having to explain WHY you only had 8 credits or WHY your GPA is not as competitive as it should be - some schools won't care to listen. But get those amazing grades and GRE scores and all of a sudden they LOVE to hear about your "other" life. There are exceptions to everything, but like I said, IDEALLY...

My question to the other non-trads here is - how do you overcome the lack of exposure to the field? Do you actively take time out of your daily routines to work in an animal hospital? Do you have to become a vet tech in order to really get a handle on the reality of veterinary medicine?

Actually, I was told by an adcom member before I first applied that I did not have to leave my science research job and be a vet tech since my plan was to blend my current science background (MS in toxicology - I hear you about the PhD situation!) with a DVM (I took a vet tech job anyway because I wanted to) but I also know of someone who was getting a PhD in veterinary epidemiology who changed to DVM. He did not work as a tech prior to admission, but it was because he planned to apply the DVM to his veterinary epidemiology career and the admission committee knew this. He was admitted on his first try.
SO, I think the important part is that if your experience fits your goals for veterinary medicine and you make this very clear in your application you might be OK. However I would still get an opinion from the schools you apply to.

*sigh* So true, but I love my shelter job. Oddly enough, the customer service aspect of my work there is what I think will be most helpful in my vet school application; I've found I love working with people AND animals, together, and that gives me hope that this really is the right field for me.

I can really relate to this, Whirr. I only do volunteer work with shelters, but I really love talking to the public about animals and I love being involved in the adoption process. I get to match-make (which makes for better situations for animal and people) and educate the adopters/browsers in a really informal and comfortable environment. I'm hoping that this experience is something the vet schools will recognize as valuable. The Lord knows I have tons of customer service and people experience (I taught English to foreigners, have been a receptionist, a barista, waitress, and on and on)... ;)

@ Cwazy cat lady: I'm with you on this one! One of the regrets I have at the shelter I work at is that we don't have the time/staff/energy/opportunity to do more matchmaking. We have a wish list system that needs an overhaul, but otherwise it's a bit of a luck of the draw for many of the animals we adopt out. I'm realistic about the limitations of our situation; we're quite a busy shelter, and we do many good placements, but I wish we had enough volunteers to do more of what you're talking about.

Right now, I just wish I didn't want this so badly. I was thinking of waiting another year before applying, in order to get the experience I need above and beyond my childhood (sled dog team, beef cattle in a limited way, cats upon cats, birds, some horses); now I want to apply this year and I can't see how I can get the hours by September with a real vet. I guess there's always next year if I don't get in. I wish my grades would carry me farther than I think they will... :scared:

Does anyone else in here wonder if the jitters in these forums and all those anecdotes about "oh, she had a 4.0, a perfect GRE score, worked for a vet for a year and a half, and STILL was turned down" are more detrimental than anything? I love the support network, but right about now I could scream, I'm so nervous, and I haven't even applied yet! :p I'm worried about having to explain an 8-month gap where I wasn't in school or working, either... is "newly married and supporting husband in a stressful new job following college" a legitimate excuse?

I think I need to get a life!

@ Cwazy cat lady: I'm with you on this one! One of the regrets I have at the shelter I work at is that we don't have the time/staff/energy/opportunity to do more matchmaking. We have a wish list system that needs an overhaul, but otherwise it's a bit of a luck of the draw for many of the animals we adopt out. I'm realistic about the limitations of our situation; we're quite a busy shelter, and we do many good placements, but I wish we had enough volunteers to do more of what you're talking about.

Right now, I just wish I didn't want this so badly. I was thinking of waiting another year before applying, in order to get the experience I need above and beyond my childhood (sled dog team, beef cattle in a limited way, cats upon cats, birds, some horses); now I want to apply this year and I can't see how I can get the hours by September with a real vet. I guess there's always next year if I don't get in. I wish my grades would carry me farther than I think they will... :scared:

Does anyone else in here wonder if the jitters in these forums and all those anecdotes about "oh, she had a 4.0, a perfect GRE score, worked for a vet for a year and a half, and STILL was turned down" are more detrimental than anything? I love the support network, but right about now I could scream, I'm so nervous, and I haven't even applied yet! :p I'm worried about having to explain an 8-month gap where I wasn't in school or working, either... is "newly married and supporting husband in a stressful new job following college" a legitimate excuse?

I think I need to get a life!

I hear you...I was out of work about 6 months myself at one point. Thank goodness for my husband! I'll tell you I don't have a 4.0 (far from it!) and very lopsided experience...so the fact that I've gotten on 2 waitlists still stuns me.

For me it's all about drive. After years of drifting from one career to the next, I had no idea how much working in a vet clinic would 'click'. I was (and still am) happier, more energetic, and my desire to learn was turned back on. A sense of excitement I hadn't felt since I was a kid came rushing back. And now I finally understand that any job/field/career that gives you that feeling is worth working as hard as you can to make it happen.

Ok, whoa, that was cheesy...but true. I guess I'm trying to say don't freak this early in the game. One vet gave me this quote, which helps me: "What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?"

Sorry for the sappy interruption...now back to our regularly scheduled programming.:oops:

For me it's all about drive. After years of drifting from one career to the next, I had no idea how much working in a vet clinic would 'click'. I was (and still am) happier, more energetic, and my desire to learn was turned back on.

I've been a clinic for roughly 9 months now part time and totally feel the same way. I look forward to going to work, good days or bad, I still love the job(and I have gotten torn up good in the last 2 days:rolleyes:). It makes taking the class a whole lot less painful.

How many people have actually asked the vets they know how many times they applied to vet school? Some of the best vets I know had to apply 2 and 3 times before getting in, and are absolutely awesome vets now. Getting rejected happens and its not the end of the world.

Absolutely,
The best vet I have ever known completely suprised me when she said she applied twice before getting in. AND she also told me that there's a certain veterinary college DEAN that did not get in until his THIRD try!

I actually sort of cringed when I heard this because I did not want to have to try that many times, but a year goes by fast and you can learn an awful lot during that time that will better prepare you for getting in when you do go. So the old "always next year" words that we hate to hear at this time of year are not the end of the world and they don't mean that you will never be a vet.:)

Just posting in. I am also a non trad student. Did freshman year right out of high school, then joined the military, married, divorced, got my associates, worked, then my fiance old me to go for my dreams and part time went to school for 2 years now full time. Crazy but I finally made it I have 1 sure acceptance U Wisconsin, a hold at U Penn, and an interview at U Tenn. With persistance you can make it. :)

"What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?"

Loved the quote! I think I need to hang this above my desk. I'm turning my little hobby project into a full 501c3 non-profit this semester. :eek:Scary stuff but can't believe the twist and turns life can take when you follow your passion. Oh, the non-profit is a spin on a typical animal rescue to help reduce the burden placed on shelters and to try and do the rescue work more effectively (hope that is politically correct enough). The concept came out of my hours observing at the clinic and how folks bring up concerns first to their Vet and realizing maybe I could help out. Also from answering calls from people and not having a good answer for those wanting to do the right thing for a pet but having no options and those looking to add a new pet to their family. Proud member of www.petfinder.com! To any of you shelter volunteers out there if you’re not a member be sure to look into joining and they have some great training too. It’s an amazing tool!

Does anyone else in here wonder if the jitters in these forums and all those anecdotes about "oh, she had a 4.0, a perfect GRE score, worked for a vet for a year and a half, and STILL was turned down" are more detrimental than anything? I love the support network, but right about now I could scream, I'm so nervous, and I haven't even applied yet! :p

I totally felt this way when I first visited this forum. Reading certain threads set my teeth on edge and made me so angry. The ones where people asked about their chances at getting in and others told them, "oh, well, with that GPA and those GREs it'll be really tough" or "oh, with that GPA and those GREs, you're a shoe-in!!" As non-traditionals, we understand perhaps more than anyone that the admissions process is about so much more than those two numbers. (Though, of course, the GPA calculation can be done 27 different ways, so I suppose it could technically be more than 2 numbers. :p But still, you see what I mean.)

I actually left this forum, came back, saw it still stressed me out beyond belief and left again. I think it was only the third time that I came back that I actually hung around and began to find this place helpful. Still stressful sometimes, as we're all worried about admissions. But the support is generally really great. Also, I think you'll find that if you hang around for a while and read a lot of what goes on (including visiting the interview feedback forum) you'll be way ahead of the admissions curve. I've learned SO much from this site.

Also, I've yet to post in the successful applicants thread (I'm waiting to hear back from one more school) but this is my first time applying, I've gotten into 4 of the 6 schools I applied to (rejected from one and waiting to hear back on the last one) and my undergrad GPA was barely above a 3.0. My grad school (in a very relevant field that I'm passionate about) GPA was excellent and I have some really unusual work experience, but still... The idea that you cannot overcome past mistakes is NOT true. We may have to work harder at it, but this is still attainable. Don't let ANYONE else tell you otherwise. There are a lot of people who will try and cast aspects of the admissions process in black and white. But the truth is, no one knows what individual schools are looking for in a candidate, often not even other adcoms at schools. (Just look how often some applicants are accepted at schools A, B, and C and rejected from schools D, E, and F while apparently equally qualified candidates are rejected from schools A, B, and C and accepted at schools D, E, and F.

Good luck and hang in there!!:luck:

I totally agree VA girl. The schools I applied to this year where I thought I had the best chances I have been denied admission. The 2 schools that take the smallest amounts of OSS and have the smaller class sizes I have had sucess at ( Well 1 sucess, 1 i m invited to interveiw at.) If you work to make it happen. Anything is possible. Strive for your dreams!

Hi - I was a non-traditional applicant a year ago, and am now in my 2nd semester of vet school. I got my BS in computer science and worked in software for about 15 years. Volunteered at the humane society for a number of years, and then started volunteering at and then working part-time at a local private practice when I decided to go to full-time school to finish pre-reqs.

I took some pre-reqs at the community college, and two at Metro State, and then the rest at the University of Colorado. I actually took about 6 extra upper-level science classes just to enhance my application. I enrolled as a 'second bachelor's' candidate (even though I had no intention of finishing) - it was great because I was considered a 5'th year senior and got to register first. I don't think I could have gotten the classes I needed if I hadn't been degree-seeking, because they would have all been full by the time the 'special access' people can sign up.

L

Thanks for all the inspiring words, everyone. I guess what really clicked for me this week was that I'm really excited about this, more so than I ever have been about a career option. And that, ultimately, is what makes us get up every day to work. I had some very impressive and positive exchanges with the director of admissions at the U of MN and I can finally begin to visualize what comes next. It's a good place to be! And it's nice to not be alone with all these questions rattling around in my head.

It's normal to second guess what we are doing - at any age! I was able to talk one on one to the dean of one of the top vet schools a couple of years ago. When I asked about the chances of a non-traditional getting in, he told me that one thing we posses is the ability to recognize what reality in life really is. We are not "professional" students. We have already lived in the real world, and know what it takes to make it. They figure if we have already experienced life outside of books, then we really do know what we want, and are there because we are serious about that. This really keeps me going when I am sitting next to a 4.0 student that doesn't know what it is like to have to work for a living. Neiner neiner!

I work at the bench and with laboratory animals (rodents mostly)
When doing my MS
I have little experience working with animals, or from just being around a vet (aside from my own family related visits).
I didn't read through the whole rest of the thread, so apologies if this has already been mentioned, BUT... Your hours doing science actually count toward your veterinary experience! :hardy: It seems a bit contradictory, but the VMCAS guidelines are quite clear - research under the supervision of a PhD, even without animal subjects, is counted in the "veterinary experience" column. (Plenty of past threads on research experience you can check out, too.) Vet schools are all crazy to get more research-oriented vets, so especially if your career goal is to mix experimental science with clinical work, you're probably in a much better position than you think because I'm guessing you put hundreds if not thousands of hours into the research for your MS. (Don't worry about not having an exact number to report... Myself, I just estimated my average hours per week actually doing research, multiplied by the time I was in school. Nobody's going to ask you for an exact accounting.)

That said, I was strongly advised to get some private practice vet experience to back up my research experience, and a couple of adcom members told me they agreed that this made my application a lot stronger. It doesn't have to be a lot - I shadowed my family vet a few hours a week and I only had 60 hours of that when I applied - just enough to demonstrate that you've seen what the majority of vets do with their degree.

Edit: One other idea - it sounds like you're still doing rodent research. So, get friendly with the veterinarians at your company! Ask them (and your boss) if you could spend a couple hours a week with them, helping out with procedures or whatever else they might do. If your research doesn't already involve these things, then ask them to teach you how to draw blood, give injections, etc. Ask if they'll teach you some basic surgical/necropsy technique if they've got sentinels in the colony that they have to euthanize on a regular basis. With any luck, they'll be as excited to teach as you are to learn. Plus you might get a good recommendation letter out of it (all schools require one rec from a vet, some require two).

I know someone who applied 17 times before she was accepted, interviewed each time and was waitlisted several times. She was pregnant during her second year in vet school, and is one of the most respected veterinarians I have ever known. She raised two toddlers while going to vet school despite the lack of support from her own husband and immediate family.

Her story inspires me to apply for as many times as it takes and realize that no obstacle is too large if you truly strive to achieve your goals.

It should also make me more patient about being on a waitlist but so far...not so much:(

Hey Whirr,

I think that it is totally normal to be stressed out about applying, I thought about waiting an extra year before applying too, because I thought that there was no way in hell I'd get in. I ended up applying just to start the ball rolling, figuring I'd have a good shot as a 2nd time applicant. My math gre was so very terrible--I'm fine with standardized tests, but the math section made me really nervous and I totally blew it. I took it multiple times, and couldn't raise it in time for the deadline. I was really depressed and disgusted with myself for wasting so much money on the app. process. Well, I ended up being accepted to glasgow and u of m OOS. I was rejected flat out from the other 4 schools. I guess other factors in my app made up for that aspect, I don't know. About the eight months thing, that is actually not that long, and you can use the designated area on VMCAS to explain that. And, I have actually heard from my career person at college that several people with 4.0's, great GRE scores were rejected due to lack of experience or poor interviewing skills. So just present the best app you can this year, and know that if you don't get in, you can schedule a file review, take their advice, and improve your chances for next year. I hope that makes you feel a little better. Good luck!!