How to ask for Stafford Loan deferment

Started by es888w
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

es888w

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am finishing my undergrad program during which I had unsubsidized Stafford loans. I am entering my first year of DPT program this June and I am not sure how to proceed to ask for deferment of these Stafford loans since I will be going to grad school full time. Is this automatic or do I have to wait until after the 6-months grace period then request deferment? The Exit Counseling at my undergrad school is not saying anything. I am planning to take out Stafford and GradPlus loans during PT school. Thanks!
 
It's a pretty easy process. You can get a form from your lender that you take to the registrar's office at your DPT program. They'll fill it out and either fax it on for you or give it back to you to fax yourself. If your lender has a website, that would be the best place to find the form.