Best EM Sub-I on the East Coast?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PaddyofNine

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got any experiences with subinternships in Emergency Medicine in Boston or perhaps NYC?

I'm interested in doing one during the month of July. I'm a final year student from Ireland but I don't yet have completed Step I, so the types of places I can apply to are limited enough. MGH at Harvard looks good, and I don't need Step I, but it's damned expensive at $2700 for tuition alone.

Does anyone know is it worth it? How about any recommendations for any other stellar EM sub-i?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone got any experiences with subinternships in Emergency Medicine in Boston or perhaps NYC?

I'm interested in doing one during the month of July. I'm a final year student from Ireland but I don't yet have completed Step I, so the types of places I can apply to are limited enough. MGH at Harvard looks good, and I don't need Step I, but it's damned expensive at $2700 for tuition alone.

Does anyone know is it worth it? How about any recommendations for any other stellar EM sub-i?

How are you allowed to do clinical rotations if you do not have a passing grade on Step 1? When I was about to start rotations, we had to wait until we had a passing step 1 score. Isn't that the norm?

To answer your question, lots of NYC EM electives are great. Kings County, St. Lukes/Roosevelt, Beth Israel in NYC, Maimonadies, NY Methodist. There's another thread on this forum about NYC electives, check that out. I'm not sure about other east coast places as I'm based at NYC. Good luck.

While the majority of hospitals require Step I, some will accept final year medical students without it. I guess they've decided that we know how to take a history by that stage! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
While the majority of hospitals require Step I, some will accept final year medical students without it. I guess they've decided that we know how to take a history by that stage! :D

Ok then. Good for you. Good luck with everything. Enjoy your EM subI. You'll work hard, learn a lot and maybe realize (if you haven't done so already) that you want a career in EM.

There are definitely some fantastic EM sub-internships available. However, each one has asked my dean's office for certification and one of the questions has always been "Has this student passed Step 1." Most places require tuition from IMGs, and 2700 sounds about right. Since most of the MS3s on this site are American medical students, you probably won't get too many specific suggestions on this site. You're probably going to have to do the legwork yourself.

Best of :luck:

Bellevue's elective looks good as well!