Sleep Medicine as subspecialty of EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miacomet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working on petitioning ABEM to add Sleep as a subspecialty of EM so ABEM docs can pursue Sleep. I think it's a natural fit for us and we have lots to offer the field, from circadian rhythm research to airway issues.

What I've done:
-I'm collecting names of ABEM docs interested in Sleep,
-I have sent out emails to ACEP, EMRA, SAEM, and AAEM asking if I can do a SurveyMonkey of their members for interest in Sleep. Literally no one has responded.
-I am MEETING WITH THE ABEM LEGISLATIVE DIRECTOR IN JANUARY TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE PROCESS

What I need to move this forward:
-Any contact info from any ABEM physicians or residents interested in Sleep- this is the biggest issue- ABEM WANTS NUMBERS
-The names of contact people at ACEP/EMRA/SAEM/AAEM because my emails enter a void.

You can send me a DM here if you are interested, or if you wish to remain anonymous on this board email Ms. Sally Podolski [email protected] and give her permission to forward your contact info to me, and I will be in touch.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I mean you barely need to go to medical school to do sleep medicine. It’s an easy gig, and one that is increasingly dominated my aprns (what field isn’t).

I wish you the best of luck. There’s no easier exit strategy as long as you don’t mind the paycheck. Great lifestyle though. I have a few pulm/sleep guys I work with that have been talking about transitioning from the unit to sleep. But none of them have actually done it. I’m sure there’s a reason. They tell me it’s not what it once was but I know little of the field.

Sleep is fascinating though. All the more so for my lack of it (though better these days).

Ps I could be wrong on all the above I’m a little drunk.

Edit: just reread what I wrote. It’s hot garbage. I don’t know anything about sleep, don’t take me seriously. Good luck to you. I’m enjoying too much scotch tonight.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I mean you barely need to go to medical school to do sleep medicine. It’s an easy gig, and one that is increasingly dominated my aprns (what field isn’t).

I wish you the best of luck. There’s no easier exit strategy as long as you don’t mind the paycheck. Great lifestyle though. I have a few pulm/sleep guys I work with that have been talking about transitioning from the unit to sleep. But none of them have actually done it. I’m sure there’s a reason. They tell me it’s not what it once was but I know little of the field.

Sleep is fascinating though. All the more so for my lack of it (though better these days).

Edit: just reread what I wrote. It’s hot garbage. I don’t know anything about sleep, don’t take me seriously. Good luck to you. I’m enjoying too much scotch tonight.
Thank you for not removing what you wrote. I enjoyed it.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Raising a glass of Glendronach 18 in solidarity.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users