Ponce School of Medicine 2012

Started by liripez
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

liripez

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everybody! I know there are other threads for PSM class of 2012, but I'm kind of excited that we are finally able to post in the allophatic forum. If you have any info or question about PSM you can post or ask them here. It would be nice to know who is going to be attending Ponce in August. We also started a group on facebook that you can join if you are interested. Good luck to everybody!
 
Congrats to everyone who got in...I am a first year at PSM so if anyone has questions you can PM me. Take care and see you in July.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a third year at the University of Puerto Rico school of medicine. I am originally from NYC but moved to the island a few years back. If you have any questions or doubts feel free to ask.
 
quick question guys.
I am applying to PSM for the class of 2012. My interview date is April 21. Do you guys think it's too late to actually get a seat for this class or will this interview be for placement in the waiting list?

BTW i'm a microbio major, was born and raised in panama (12 years) but both of my parents are chinese, i have a GPA of 3.83 (U of Florida) and MCAT of 29 (VR 9, PS 9, BS 11).

i'm also waiting to hear from NEOUCOM, i was placed in their "middle" rank of the waiting list. Do you guys think I have the enough requirements to get into PSM? it's closer to Miami than Ohio. lol

I don't know know about the placement situation but your stats are very good you should not have a problem
 
quick question guys.
I am applying to PSM for the class of 2012. My interview date is April 21. Do you guys think it's too late to actually get a seat for this class or will this interview be for placement in the waiting list?

BTW i'm a microbio major, was born and raised in panama (12 years) but both of my parents are chinese, i have a GPA of 3.83 (U of Florida) and MCAT of 29 (VR 9, PS 9, BS 11).

i'm also waiting to hear from NEOUCOM, i was placed in their "middle" rank of the waiting list. Do you guys think I have the enough requirements to get into PSM? it's closer to Miami than Ohio. lol

I did the math once and I think if you get an interview you have about an 87% chance of being accepted as long as you can get by in Spanish and have a decent personality. I wouldn't sweat the interview. Just go in, be yourself, and the rest is downhill.

Congrats movingfwd on your acceptance...see you next year. PM if you guys have any more questions.
 
Hey!
I was interviewed March 18, graduated from PUCPR, Ponce. Still waiting! Yo no se que rayos pasa! esta espera me tiene loco 🙁.....
 
I got my acceptance a month later..and I called them...you should try and call them, just to verify..good luck!

Hey!
I was interviewed March 18, graduated from PUCPR, Ponce. Still waiting! Yo no se que rayos pasa! esta espera me tiene loco 🙁.....
 
por lo menos ya te entrevistaron! Mi entrevista es este lunes.
Uds. saben cuanto tiempo toma PSM para decidir?

Viendo tu score, tienes mucha probabilidad de ser aceptado. Si tienes la posibilidad de estudiar en US quedate, debido a que la educacion y las facilidades son mejores. Aqui es bueno tambien, pero si tienes el break de estudiar en un lugar mejor, pq no hacerlo?. Te aconsejo que para la entrevista te prepares. Lee un poco sobre el sistema de salud de PR. Bueno te deseo mucha exito en la entrevista y quien sabe si nos veamos pronto👍
Chao
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey! i got in last week so im going to Ponce 🙂 liripez I saw it says tennesee...do you live there? cuz im currently here finishing up school. btw..elkimsurfer...i spent 4 months living in panama studying there...it was amazing 🙂 🙂
 
hey! i got in last week so im going to Ponce 🙂 liripez I saw it says tennesee...do you live there? cuz im currently here finishing up school. btw..elkimsurfer...i spent 4 months living in panama studying there...it was amazing 🙂 🙂

awesome, what part of panama did you stay at?
 
yes i still live in tennessee...20 min from nashville.

hey! i got in last week so im going to Ponce 🙂 liripez I saw it says tennesee...do you live there? cuz im currently here finishing up school. btw..elkimsurfer...i spent 4 months living in panama studying there...it was amazing 🙂 🙂
 
hey wch..i lived in panama city, panama...i really liked it 🙂 liripez-i live outside chattanooga till next saturday! then i go back home to atlanta. ur pretty close though 🙂
 
Hello,
Does anyone know when admissions committee meets again for Ponce?
 
Oh,, how do you know the class is full, and how did u find out you are in the wait list?
 
Oh,, how do you know the class is full, and how did u find out you are in the wait list?

The info I got was from Gladys Cintron from the office of admissions (two days ago). Yesterday i receive the letter from the school. I live in Ponce, thats why the letter came so soon. Estoy rogando para que la gente se salga y me den la oportunidad, ****!:scared:
 
The info I got was from Gladys Cintron from the office of admissions (two days ago). Yesterday i receive the letter from the school. I live in Ponce, thats why the letter came so soon. Estoy rogando para que la gente se salga y me den la oportunidad, ****!:scared:


aww dang. i wish you luck. i'm still waiting to hear from psm. i guess then that any good news for me then would be the alternate list.

as to when the admissions committee meets. i heard that they last met last week (early may).
 
hey! i got in last week so im going to Ponce 🙂 liripez I saw it says tennesee...do you live there? cuz im currently here finishing up school. btw..elkimsurfer...i spent 4 months living in panama studying there...it was amazing 🙂 🙂



Hey Sonrisa, When was your interview? I had mine at the beginning of April and still havent heard. I'd love to go there tho!
 
woohoo!! i got great news! i can officially sign my name in this thread! PSM 2012 here i come! :meanie:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations Wch! I think that PSM still have a few empty spots, or at least there are still going to be people withdrawing during this month..so just hang on... there is a thread from last year where students were accepted all the way up to july. Here is the thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=329252

i hope the rest of the other posters in this forum are able to get a seat in the upcoming class. if u do i'll see u there if i don't hear from the other schools i'm waiting on.

since many of you have lived in ponce could you post a small comprehensive topic/post on what someone like me (mainland USA student) needs to move into Ponce. i really don't know anything there. 🙄
 
i hope the rest of the other posters in this forum are able to get a seat in the upcoming class. if u do i'll see u there if i don't hear from the other schools i'm waiting on.

since many of you have lived in ponce could you post a small comprehensive topic/post on what someone like me (mainland USA student) needs to move into Ponce. i really don't know anything there. 🙄

Great news man! Congratulation!....Que quieres sabes de Ponce? Send me a PM......
 
Yeah if you can be a little more specific..I might be able to help you.

i hope the rest of the other posters in this forum are able to get a seat in the upcoming class. if u do i'll see u there if i don't hear from the other schools i'm waiting on.

since many of you have lived in ponce could you post a small comprehensive topic/post on what someone like me (mainland USA student) needs to move into Ponce. i really don't know anything there. 🙄
 
yah i have a question about ponce: comming from the states how did you go about changing over your licence and registering tag plates and stuff like that? did you have to do it in San Juan or in Ponce itself or does it matter, and is it possible to get in state tuition the second year if you become a resident?
 
if you are bringing your own car you pay arbitrios in san juan, but you can do everything else in ponce..you should be able to register tag plates in a place that is close to PSM, and the licence is in el Tuque, you are going to need all morning for that...they are slow, and is always full...el Tuque is about 15 minutes from PSM. ..i'm trying to get in-state tuition this year (because i did my high school and part of my degree in pr) but I don't know if you can become in-state the second year...I email them regarding in state tuition on Tuesday, but I'm still waiting to hear from them...hope this helps.

yah i have a question about ponce: comming from the states how did you go about changing over your licence and registering tag plates and stuff like that? did you have to do it in San Juan or in Ponce itself or does it matter, and is it possible to get in state tuition the second year if you become a resident?
 
i'm assuming that if you lease/buy a car that the dealer will take care of the tag for you right?

how about insurance companies for the car?

can you make apointments for the license office?


how weird that this topic is not full of people like ponce class of 2011.
I wonder how many students have been accepted.
 
Yeah, its weird that there aren't many people posting.

But I did hear that the class is full...Maybe those that have been accepted just aren't on SDN. I called Ponce today and Sra. Colon said that I was an alternate 😳. Its okay though, judging from last year, the wait list movement seems pretty good...so just gotta cross fingers!
 
I know if you buy a car the dealer will take care of the tag. Car insurance is not mandatory in pr. When I used to live there drivers were cover by some type of liability insurance that you pay for when you renew your tags every year (I belive this is how it still works, somebody correct me if I'm not right). You can also have full cover insurance with a company of your preferance. Ask your insurance company in usa because some of them cover in puerto rico. I'm gonna keep the same company and the same rate in pr; and I didn't have to do anything. I just gave them a call, and let them know that I was sending my car to pr.
I don't think you can make apointments at the license office, at least not the one in Ponce. I'm not familiar with the one in the metro area.
We have a facebook page and we also communicate there, that's probably why you don't see as many people around here compare to last year. Feel free to take a look: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7988862409&ref=ts.

i'm assuming that if you lease/buy a car that the dealer will take care of the tag for you right?

how about insurance companies for the car?

can you make apointments for the license office?


how weird that this topic is not full of people like ponce class of 2011.
I wonder how many students have been accepted.
 
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knew what they had to do if they wanted to take their car? Any advice would be really helpful.

Thanks
 
You can have your car shipped with Trailer Bridge, La Rosa del Monte, or La Flor de Mayo.This companies are in florida. I'm shipping mine with Trialer Bridge because is the cheapests. Around $1200 for an SUV. Price depends on the car year, model and size. When the car gets to PR you have to pay the tax (arbitrios). That's the very expensive part. I think I posted the link already, but anyways here it is: https://siscon.hacienda.gobierno.pr/Siscon/Portal/ARBAW951Form.aspx . Just fill it out and it should give you an estimate. You pay that in san juan. Hope this helps.

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knew what they had to do if they wanted to take their car? Any advice would be really helpful.

Thanks
 
my god, those taxes are expensive. i would rather sell my car here and lease a car over there for 4 years.

BTW does anyone know the schedule of days off/holidays?
 
Hey Everyone!

So I'm coming to Ponce! 🙂 I found out a couple of weeks ago and just started thinking about housing and all the issues involved with moving. I'm looking for roommates plus a place to live...so if any of you local Puerto Ricans know of a place and need a person to occupy an empty room, send me a message. I'm coming from California so I can't be much help in terms of apartment hunting or furniture but if you need a housemate, contact me!
 
hey,

I am going to Ponce in aug for MD and am in PR right now ( Hato Rey) but would be interested in getting an apt with others possibly close to the school. Just reply if interested
 
Hi everyone!
I just wanted to let anyone interested know that my roommate and I got a house very close to the school and are look for another female roommate. It is a 3 bedroom 2.5 bathroom house walking distance from the school. If anyone is interested PM me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey everybody! I just wanted to know if there is any new acceptances, and I guess I'll see you next week. Good Luck everybody!
 
hi,
I am an currently doing bachelors in computer science from univ. of mississippi. My GPA is around 3.6 and i made a 20 on mcat (3 vr, 10 phy, 7 phy). And iam not at all fluent in spanish. What r my chances to get in to this college? even if i get an interview, what r my chances to get through it?
 
hi,
I am an currently doing bachelors in computer science from univ. of mississippi. My GPA is around 3.6 and i made a 20 on mcat (3 vr, 10 phy, 7 phy). And iam not at all fluent in spanish. What r my chances to get in to this college? even if i get an interview, what r my chances to get through it?
 
hi,
I am an currently doing bachelors in computer science from univ. of mississippi. My GPA is around 3.6 and i made a 20 on mcat (3 vr, 10 phy, 7 phy). And iam not at all fluent in spanish. What r my chances to get in to this college? even if i get an interview, what r my chances to get through it?

Zero.
 
Hey everybody! I'm a third year Microbiology student. I messed up my first two years of college and my current gpa is at a 2.6 but I scored a 28 on the MCAT. Do I still have a chance of getting in, or is that too far fetched?