-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Step I Did Anyone do the NEW UW ASSESSMENT FORM 1
Started by pr20
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
did anyone do the new usmleworld assessment form 1 that has been released yesterday
how does this compare with the NBME
I am not sure whether you are a spammer or not, but just about 3 weeks ago I told my roommate I had a feeling UW was going to be coming up with its own assessment method, and voila
Another exploitation of med students neurosis...
does it come included with the UW qbank? cause i never got an email about it..
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What's the advantage over just doing 200 timed UW questions? Is it worth $25?
Do you get a corrolation to the Step 1 grade or does it just give you a % like every other self assessment? I think it might be better to just spend that extra $20 and buy an nbme for $45.
Do you get a corrolation to the Step 1 grade or does it just give you a % like every other self assessment? I think it might be better to just spend that extra $20 and buy an nbme for $45.
It sounds like it gives you an approximate score based on correlated "USMLEWorld historical data".
quoted from usmleworld.com
Step 1 Self-Assessment Exam Subscription [$25 for 2-weeks]
The "USMLE Step1 Self-Assessment Exam Form 1 (SimExam)" is USMLEWorld's latest web-based product which closely resembles the simulated experience of the actual Step 1 portion of the USMLE. All content of the simulated self-assessment exam has been created by the individual efforts of USMLEWorlds own physician staff members of various specialties.
Similar to the NBME Self-Assessment Exam, the test consists of four (4) blocks of fifty (50) multiple-choice questions, with a total of 200 questions for the entire simulated exam. Each block contains a unique and diverse amount of questions from different divisions and subdivisions of medicine. The self-assessment exam will provide detailed analysis of relative strength and weakness in difference subjects and systems. It also provides approximate 3-digit USMLE score based on USMLEWorld historical data.
The subscriber will have up to one (1) hour to complete each 50-question block, with a cumulative test time of 4 hours to complete the entire exam. Subscriber will have an opportunity to take break at the end of each block. While this simulated exam can only be taken once, the subscriber has the option to review the entire exam after its completion for up to two weeks.
Note: Subscriptions will start immediately after the purchase. Users who wish to start their Self-Assessment Exam at later date must contact support with login info and desired start date as soon as they purchase.
I took the assessment.
They provide the answers, but only when you finish the test not after every block.
And they give a 3 digit correlation.
The questions were fair, some bordering on "duh" status, unlike the usual questions found on the qbank. I imagine is kind of like the real thing.
Let me know if you have any other question.
They provide the answers, but only when you finish the test not after every block.
And they give a 3 digit correlation.
The questions were fair, some bordering on "duh" status, unlike the usual questions found on the qbank. I imagine is kind of like the real thing.
Let me know if you have any other question.
haha this all looks like clever advertising... pose as a medical student and say how wonderful this self assessment exam is.. Two people who have their first posts be about this exam.
strong work people at usmleworld.com.
strong work people at usmleworld.com.
I am in no way associated to UW.
I was just giving my honest opinion, trying to be useful.
Yes, that was my first post.
I have been a silent observer, and this forum has proven to be useful.
Especially the posts from UCLAstudent and blz. Thanks guys.
Anyways, hopefully this post wont be taken as a part of a conspiracy to overtake the board prep market.
I was just giving my honest opinion, trying to be useful.
Yes, that was my first post.
I have been a silent observer, and this forum has proven to be useful.
Especially the posts from UCLAstudent and blz. Thanks guys.
Anyways, hopefully this post wont be taken as a part of a conspiracy to overtake the board prep market.

Yeah right!!! lol
and pigs fly...
UW we know you're reading, time for some freebies!!!
and pigs fly...
UW we know you're reading, time for some freebies!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what's next someone from kaplan is going to pretend they're a student who did terribly in basic sciences even failed a class or two but after taking a kaplan course ended up with 250/99 on step 1 and how kaplan is amazing and we should all take kaplan. lol...
very clever UW but we're smarter than the average bear..
very clever UW but we're smarter than the average bear..
I just finished it. I have done no USMLE world questions. I have finished all of Kaplan QBank. I thought it would be slightly easier than it was, and the pictures weren't as clear as I would have liked. I'm probably just more pissed at my 211, so take this with a grain of salt. I also didn't like some of their wording. On a question that was "What's the diagnosis?" the correct answer was the name of one of the "signs" that was described in the stem. Not something that could have caused the sign..
I just finished it. I have done no USMLE world questions. I have finished all of Kaplan QBank. I thought it would be slightly easier than it was, and the pictures weren't as clear as I would have liked. I'm probably just more pissed at my 211, so take this with a grain of salt. I also didn't like some of their wording. On a question that was "What's the diagnosis?" the correct answer was the name of one of the "signs" that was described in the stem. Not something that could have caused the sign..
How long did it take you around?
Questions are tougher than NBME 1 imo. I took NBME 1 abt 2 weeks back and got 680/253...... Today on UW test got 660/250.
There are some glitches on the software, during start of two of my blocks, the screen sort of went crazy....was flickering a lot....this caused a delay of 4-5 mins....then towards end of same blocks the program suddenly said your time is over though clock still showed 4-5 mins remaining....i missed 4 questions becoz of that. This never happened while doing NBME or UW Qbank. Certainly was irritating having paid 25$ for this.
I have done about 30-40% of UW qbank, and none of the questions on the assessment were repeated questions.
The good thing is you have 2 weeks to review the questions...thats one area where its better than NBME.
On the whole I would say u get 200 more questions (some of which are really good) and some test practice for a relatively cheap 25$. I wouldn't bank too much on the score it predicts as its still new. Though i am happy with the 250🙂. Btw it also tells the % of each block, i got 68%, 82%, 68% and 82%. The 3rd and 4th blocks were the ones which acted weird....i was too sleepy 😴 in 1st block, so missed last 5 questions there also😳. That woke me up
There are some glitches on the software, during start of two of my blocks, the screen sort of went crazy....was flickering a lot....this caused a delay of 4-5 mins....then towards end of same blocks the program suddenly said your time is over though clock still showed 4-5 mins remaining....i missed 4 questions becoz of that. This never happened while doing NBME or UW Qbank. Certainly was irritating having paid 25$ for this.
I have done about 30-40% of UW qbank, and none of the questions on the assessment were repeated questions.
The good thing is you have 2 weeks to review the questions...thats one area where its better than NBME.
On the whole I would say u get 200 more questions (some of which are really good) and some test practice for a relatively cheap 25$. I wouldn't bank too much on the score it predicts as its still new. Though i am happy with the 250🙂. Btw it also tells the % of each block, i got 68%, 82%, 68% and 82%. The 3rd and 4th blocks were the ones which acted weird....i was too sleepy 😴 in 1st block, so missed last 5 questions there also😳. That woke me up
I also didn't like some of their wording. On a question that was "What's the diagnosis?" the correct answer was the name of one of the "signs" that was described in the stem. Not something that could have caused the sign..
Yes, i noticed that too....the acanthosis nigricans one?? i actually ended up spending quite a while on dat question.
Questions are tougher than NBME 1 imo. I took NBME 1 abt 2 weeks back and got 680/253...... Today on UW test got 660/250.
There are some glitches on the software, during start of two of my blocks, the screen sort of went crazy....was flickering a lot....this caused a delay of 4-5 mins....then towards end of same blocks the program suddenly said your time is over though clock still showed 4-5 mins remaining....i missed 4 questions becoz of that. This never happened while doing NBME or UW Qbank. Certainly was irritating having paid 25$ for this.
I have done about 30-40% of UW qbank, and none of the questions on the assessment were repeated questions.
The good thing is you have 2 weeks to review the questions...thats one area where its better than NBME.
On the whole I would say u get 200 more questions (some of which are really good) and some test practice for a relatively cheap 25$. I wouldn't bank too much on the score it predicts as its still new. Though i am happy with the 250🙂. Btw it also tells the % of each block, i got 68%, 82%, 68% and 82%. The 3rd and 4th blocks were the ones which acted weird....i was too sleepy 😴 in 1st block, so missed last 5 questions there also😳. That woke me up
I got 84% on NBME 3 and it turned out to be 230... here it looks like you got 75% and ended up with 250.. yeah somehow i don't think the predicted score is too accurate.
Yes, i noticed that too....the acanthosis nigricans one?? i actually ended up spending quite a while on dat question.
Yes, that Q.
How long did it take you around?
It took me less than 2:20 for the actual questions. However, I took a break between blocks 2 and 3. I was kinda burned out from doing QBank all morning..
7
78222
Yes, i noticed that too....the acanthosis nigricans one?? i actually ended up spending quite a while on dat question.
That was a poor question.
I took it today, I think overall it was a good test. In my opinion it seemed harder than the NBMEs I've done but easier than UW Qbank. My score on it was 245, with my last NBME (IV), being 220 (2 weeks ago, about halfway through review). As I pointed out in another thread, there seem to be some flaws in the score report and a few of the questions are very similar to questions on the Qbank .I almost answered one without thinking because I'd just had a very similar question this morning - the winged scapula q - the stem was the same but it asked something slightly different.
I'd reccommend it if you've already done a few NBMEs and want something that allows you to review the questions.
took it today as well.
started studying on 5/5
nbme1 5/11- 210
usmlewSimexam 5/16- 232 (about 70% overall)
6/9-the real deal
I thought the test was pretty straight forward. Nothing too difficult the stuff I studied those sections were pretty easy and the stuff that I hadn't covered were still very hard. I would say about 40%-50% of the test is just being able to make a diagnosis or recognize a picture and know a mechanism or something straight forward like that. 20-30% was 2nd/3rd order stuff that asks you a question about a side effects or something.
overall I'm pleased. We'll see how the real thing turns out in a few weeks.
started studying on 5/5
nbme1 5/11- 210
usmlewSimexam 5/16- 232 (about 70% overall)
6/9-the real deal
I thought the test was pretty straight forward. Nothing too difficult the stuff I studied those sections were pretty easy and the stuff that I hadn't covered were still very hard. I would say about 40%-50% of the test is just being able to make a diagnosis or recognize a picture and know a mechanism or something straight forward like that. 20-30% was 2nd/3rd order stuff that asks you a question about a side effects or something.
overall I'm pleased. We'll see how the real thing turns out in a few weeks.
Any more people take this and get their scores back on the real thing yet? Its hard to imagine that getting around 75% on one practice exam (UW's) equates to a 250+, while it takes well over 80% on an NBME to get anywhere near 250.
I took it today and thought it was OK; definitely quite a bit different and more difficult than the NBMEs. Some of the questions were very similar to others in the UWorld qbank, but I didn't see any verbatim repeats.
I took it today and thought it was OK; definitely quite a bit different and more difficult than the NBMEs. Some of the questions were very similar to others in the UWorld qbank, but I didn't see any verbatim repeats.
Any more people take this and get their scores back on the real thing yet? Its hard to imagine that getting around 70% on one practice exam (UW's) equates to a 250+, while it takes well over 80% on an NBME to get anywhere near 250.
I took it today and thought it was OK; definitely quite a bit different and more difficult than the NBMEs. Some of the questions were very similar to others in the UWorld qbank, but I didn't see any verbatim repeats.
It isn't hard to imagine after you account for the fact that the scoring is scaled. This means the percentages mean nothing without knowing the mean. That's probably why some NBME exams are touted as easy and hard, yet every NBME exam seems to have predictive value based on the USMLE experience threads over the years. While people say that NBME forms 1 and 5 are easier than the actual exam, the scores on those exams are still scaled. I took NBME 4 a few days after NBME 5 with truly minimal studying in between. My score on NBME 4 was 2 points higher than NBME 5. I took the UW assessment and six days later took NBME 1. The scores were within 4 points of each other.
By the way, when I took the UW assessment, 70%~240, not 250.
Any more people take this and get their scores back on the real thing yet? Its hard to imagine that getting around 75% on one practice exam (UW's) equates to a 250+, while it takes well over 80% on an NBME to get anywhere near 250.
If you're using these numbers, I'm assuming you're talking about the regular UW questions and not the assessment. In that case, the UW questions are supposed to represent the more difficult questions that will be on the actual exam, so that's why there is a discrepancy between UW and NBME %-based score predictions.
My raw % on the assessment was 78.5% and UW equated that to a 720/258. Seems a bit generous, but we'll see.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It isn't hard to imagine after you account for the fact that the scoring is scaled. This means the percentages mean nothing without knowing the mean. That's probably why some NBME exams are touted as easy and hard, yet every NBME exam seems to have predictive value based on the USMLE experience threads over the years. While people say that NBME forms 1 and 5 are easier than the actual exam, the scores on those exams are still scaled. I took NBME 4 a few days after NBME 5 with truly minimal studying in between. My score on NBME 4 was 2 points higher than NBME 5. I took the UW assessment and six days later took NBME 1. The scores were within 4 points of each other.
By the way, when I took the UW assessment, 70%~240, not 250.
Yeah, I was off on the percentage. Its closer to 75-76%.
You make good points. I guess I'm mostly just assuming that the NBMEs are more similar in difficulty to the USMLE. As such, it takes something well above 80% to get 250+. I guess I was just expecting more consistency between the NBME and Uworld assessments in terms of what percentage correlates to what score.
Hope the there is close correlation....
Have you taken any other NBMEs? I have only taken the UW self assessment about a week ago and I scored 248. Just wondering if you have anything else to compare it to.
My raw % on the assessment was 78.5% and UW equated that to a 720/258. Seems a bit generous, but we'll see.
i got the same exam score. 79.5%/720/258. way overinflated. i have not done that well on any nbme practice exam.
I took it earlier today and was somewhat pleased with the score, although I felt there were easy questions I should have gotten right (the rote-memorization-type questions with an additional 2nd step to make the jump). So far the vibe I get is that it over-predicts, what say you recent test takers who got your scores back? I didn't see many people citing scores from the UW assessment in the experiences thread.
so i took this exam today and ended up with exactly 70% which translates to 238/590. my other nbmes (1 through 4) are in range of 510-530. i dont think i should get that high of a score so im assuming it'm probably still in the same range as nbme is predicting. ok my exam is in 10 days. i saw a post here a while ago that someone with 500 on nbme failed the step. i still have three days to change my exam date. what do u guys all think? i definately can not afford to fail this test. thanks
so i took this exam today and ended up with exactly 70% which translates to 238/590. my other nbmes (1 through 4) are in range of 510-530. i dont think i should get that high of a score so im assuming it'm probably still in the same range as nbme is predicting. ok my exam is in 10 days. i saw a post here a while ago that someone with 500 on nbme failed the step. i still have three days to change my exam date. what do u guys all think? i definately can not afford to fail this test. thanks[/q]
if I'm not mistaken, I believe you said you were scoring in the same range I was w/ nbme's (~225-228).....don't push the damn thing back if you have ten 10 days left - in ten days you can get that up 10 points - I'm certainly not pushing mine back - i wouldn't let an nbme 219 to fail story frazzle you
honestly i have no idea how to increase it by 10 points...my nbmes havent changed since i started studying 5 weeks ago. in any case, all i want is not to fail for the time being, dont know why im so scared. maybe cuz the exam is getting close or that im not improving in my scores. thanks for ur response. im going to take nbme 6 in a couple of days and see wut happens. lucky them, they are making so much money off of me 🙂
The assessment exam was inflated by over 20 points versus the real deal..it was nice practice, but not really an assessment.
20 points is really ok by me ---
Last edited:
The UW self assessment (taken 2 wks before real thing) was closer to my real score than any of the 4 NBMEs I took and it still underestimated me by 7 pts. My two highest NBMEs (taken 3 and 1 wks before real thing) both underestimated by 14 pts. And, to put everything in context, I was well past the cutoff for getting a 2 digit score of 99 on the real thing.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
honestly i have no idea how to increase it by 10 points...my nbmes havent changed since i started studying 5 weeks ago. in any case, all i want is not to fail for the time being, dont know why im so scared. maybe cuz the exam is getting close or that im not improving in my scores. thanks for ur response. im going to take nbme 6 in a couple of days and see wut happens. lucky them, they are making so much money off of me 🙂
Same here my friend - my nbme's haven't changed a whole either since I started.....219 a long time ago and now a 228 - I don't really like making up excuses, but I honestly feel that I have a tendency to "push out" knowledge I learned many weeks ago - so in other words, as I'm improving my knowledge base on neuro, and cardio...etc, I felt like I was losing biochem, micro, immuno, stuff I did a couple months ago, and this is probably true to an extent, at least based on my score reports - I'm guesing this why the last few days are so crucial - because this is when you tie it all together....I have 2 days left after today, and all I'm doing is wipping through FA one more time and picking up detaills or concepts I frequently miss....tomorrow gonna crush biochem and micro - and do pharm and behavioral monday and a call it a day a bit early - maybe I'm being too optomistic, but I feel like a few hours of reviewing some biochem and micro will earn me a lot of points come Tuesday because I learned that stuff quite well a couple months ago, it's just a matter of bringing it back to the surface again - I don't regret the amt. of time I put in to this, but I will admit that I have overkilled each and every subject to a fault, which farther removes me from previous material I did, so with that said - I gotta get back at it - good luck my friend - i'm sure things will work out in your favor
No joke, but I got the same EXACT score on the assessment form 1 that I did on the real thing--which I took 3 days later....go figure ha
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 5K
D
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 495
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 752