Unhappy in Dental School :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Open Wide

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering how many of you are feeling the same way:

I'm finishing up my 2nd year of dental school and I've noticed that I've become progressively more and more tired, no, exhausted and annoyed by classmates and professors. I'm constantly complaining about school, feeling lonely because a lot of people I once considered friends have turned out to be freakazoids, etc... Let me get one thing straight: I still love dentistry and I can't wait to start practicing, so please don't tell me I chose the wrong profession! I'm just 100% sick and tired of school and all the drama / inside politics / annoying classmates / irrelevant hoops we have to jump through blah blah blah.

I've always been a pretty happy-go-lucky person and suddenly in dental school, I developed anxiety and mild depression. I used to blame it on my particular school, thinking I'd chosen the wrong one. But after reading through lots of posts on SDN, it seems like everyone gripes about their school and I'm wondering if dental school does this to all of us :confused: I mean, I can't help but notice that nearly everyone in my class has become moodier, cattier, less friendly etc... Or maybe it's that dentistry draws this type of personality? Or maybe the admissions officers at my school had a brain fart the day they were choosing who to admit into my class? (just kidding.. sort of)

Anyway, just wondering if you are experiencing or have experienced the same thing

Sick of B*llsh*t,
Open Wide

Members don't see this ad.

Hang in there for a few more weeks!!! Summer break is coming.

You can get away from school and recharge your batterys and you will feel much better.

Hang in there for a few more weeks!!! Summer break is coming.

You can get away from school and recharge your batterys and you will feel much better.

Thanks Saddleshoes, but there is no summer break after 2nd year!!

Ooh yea, that brings me to another gripe I have about my school: Dental students never seem to be budgeted correctly by the financial aid office and are always short on money. Is this also a problem at your schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Second year'll be over soon!! I hope! But I don't think that it's your particular school...I think it's the nature of 2nd year. Tests, quizzes, projects, practicals...it never seems to end.

At least it'll be over before you know it. I'm making it through finals right now...14 more to go in 10 days. Woohoo! :(

Dental school is just like high school. There are clicks and rumors and there is no escape because you always see the same people day in and day out. What makes dental school worse is that everyone is under a ton of pressure and deals with it in different ways. I am sure there are some people in every class if admissions were psychic they would have passed on. When I graduated high school, a couple buddies and I went for a summer long road trip all over the country. I can say I am still good friends with these people even after 10 years, but there were times during that trip I just wanted to spit at my friends, peoples idiosyncrasies come out in confining and stressful situations. I miss undergrad when I was surrounded by classmates who were more diverse some were into bugs, bacteria, DNA, and animals, now I am surrounded by 80 kids who are too much like me, obsessive, and competative, tired, over caffienated and maxed out with stress. You aren't alone and just try to stay positive.

I think it's the nature of 2nd year. Tests, quizzes, projects, practicals...it never seems to end.

At least it'll be over before you know it. I'm making it through finals right now...14 more to go in 10 days. Woohoo! :(

Dental school is just like high school. There are clicks and rumors and there is no escape because you always see the same people day in and day out. What makes dental school worse is that everyone is under a ton of pressure and deals with it in different ways.....now I am surrounded by 80 kids who are too much like me, obsessive, and competative, tired, over caffienated and maxed out with stress. You aren't alone and just try to stay positive.

You both are so right. 2nd year is ENDLESS tests, projects, practicals and a ton of classes. We're all stressed to the max and we see the same people every single day... so in lots of ways it is worse than high school. The cliques and rumors are much worse than high school, actually.

The stuff I can't stand either is the way the school is run - there are never enough profs staffing our labs and half of them in there don't care enough to really critique our work. Some of our profs are just losing their minds, too. I mean, quite literally :eek: And others seem to cater to *select* students - (Yes, yes, yes, I know that happens everywhere...)

Anyway, enough crabbing for one night :oops: Thanks for all your encouraging words... I suppose I'll feel better once we're done with these next few weeks of finals.

I was in the exact position as you. I hated my classmates, my professors, my school; I didn't even bother with the graduation ceremony. Just hang in there and serve out the jail term. Two more years will pass quickly.

I was in the exact position as you. I hated my classmates, my professors, my school; I didn't even bother with the graduation ceremony. Just hang in there and serve out the jail term. Two more years will pass quickly.

:( Sad to hear it is equivalent to a jail-term (even if it was just an expression). Oh the joy of what I'll be getting into!:laugh:

Dental school sucks. It only gets better starting with 3rd year but it still sucks until you are done.

Dental School is hard, stressful and requires every one of us to do things that are difficult, which only adds to the stress. It will end. You will get better and more comfortable with what you are doing. You will not have profs breathing down your throat or classmates forever. I know it seems hard now, but it will get better. I am 4 years out and I had an experience like yours, but guess what, most people do. Lots of my fellow collegues have the same type of complaints of their experience. It is something you will one day look back on, happy that it is over, and extremely happy you will never have to do it again.

Dental School is hard, stressful and requires every one of us to do things that are difficult, which only adds to the stress. It will end. You will get better and more comfortable with what you are doing. You will not have profs breathing down your throat or classmates forever. I know it seems hard now, but it will get better. I am 4 years out and I had an experience like yours, but guess what, most people do. Lots of my fellow collegues have the same type of complaints of their experience. It is something you will one day look back on, happy that it is over, and extremely happy you will never have to do it again.
:thumbup:

After reading all of your commonts, I still think I CAN DO THIS, I THINK I CAN I THINK ICAN I THINK I CAN I THINK I CAN I THINK I CAN :confused:I THINK I THINK I THINK I THINK :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Make it quick and painless. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, OPEN WIDE, where do you go to school?

I'm also a 2nd yr. Here at USC, the workload increases but overall its stress-free. Because Our class decides when things should be due.

If we don't feel like we can finish a post fix project on time, the profs just give us a week extension. If we can't finish perio-block by April, we can finish it in the summer. If we can't graduate on time, we can stay an extra semester. It's pretty accomodating over here.

As for your depression, I strongly recommend exercising daily or atleast every other day. Or even better, pick up a sport. The chemicals released in strenuous physical activity (swimming, marathon, tennis, martial arts...) will refocus your mind and leave you too exhausted to whine and feel sorry for yourself.

to the OP,

Second year is notorious for being the toughest year, so hang in there. Test after test, project after project...it can really wear down even the brightest and most motivated person. But it will end soon, the bliss of third year is right around the corner!

If you really are feeling down, I would also suggest talking to counseling services available at your school. You won't be the first student to be overwhelmed with work--a lot of these kids come from colleges where they didn't have to work nearly as hard yet did terrific, now they're being pitted against the best and the brightest and therefore an "average student," and it's a toll on everyone. All the cattiness and moodiness is just from hanging out with each other 24-7, seeing everyone EVERY SINGLE DAMN DAY. But it too will pass. So hang in there! :luck:

Yeah 2nd year sucks totally, so a lot of us can understand how you are feeling. The constant tests and endless projects as someone else said are really draining. As I type this, I'm studying pharmacology and am so unmotivated. I just want to get into clinic, I'm really not learning anything in classes anymore but the same old stuff they've been telling us for weeks on end. Luckily finals are coming up soon for all of us and we'll soon be in clinic which will be much more rewarding. I'm so tired of being in the sim lab and doing preps and restorations on fake teeth with no real feedback but from the same old professors who already have preconcieved notions about you from your days as a D1 or your first work as a D2. A lot of people will say they aren't ready for the clinic or are scared to go but I can't wait. So tired of the BS!:eek:

I'm wondering how many of you are feeling the same way:

I'm finishing up my 2nd year of dental school and I've noticed that I've become progressively more and more tired, no, exhausted and annoyed by classmates and professors. I'm constantly complaining about school, feeling lonely because a lot of people I once considered friends have turned out to be freakazoids, etc... Let me get one thing straight: I still love dentistry and I can't wait to start practicing, so please don't tell me I chose the wrong profession! I'm just 100% sick and tired of school and all the drama / inside politics / annoying classmates / irrelevant hoops we have to jump through blah blah blah.

I've always been a pretty happy-go-lucky person and suddenly in dental school, I developed anxiety and mild depression. I used to blame it on my particular school, thinking I'd chosen the wrong one. But after reading through lots of posts on SDN, it seems like everyone gripes about their school and I'm wondering if dental school does this to all of us :confused: I mean, I can't help but notice that nearly everyone in my class has become moodier, cattier, less friendly etc... Or maybe it's that dentistry draws this type of personality? Or maybe the admissions officers at my school had a brain fart the day they were choosing who to admit into my class? (just kidding.. sort of)

Anyway, just wondering if you are experiencing or have experienced the same thing

Sick of B*llsh*t,
Open Wide

I can totally empathize with you on this one (just as most on this thread can). Try not to sweat it too much. Before you know it you will be in clinic nearly full-time (about the end of third year at my school) and you can kind of branch out on your own. The high school bull**** seemed to die out some by this point too which made things easier. As far as the profs go, just realize that most of them IMO are programmed to think you don't know **** until you're a DSIV and its nothing personal (in most cases). Its hilarious how those same professors (almost like a light switch) change their attitude towards you when you become a senior and pretty much stay out of your way from there on out. They will be way too busy hazing the up and coming 2nd and 3rd years to worry about you anyways :). Just stick with it, focus on the light at the end of the tunnel and you'll be in good shape...

Its hilarious how those same professors (almost like a light switch) change their attitude towards you when you become a senior and pretty much stay out of your way from there on out.
It's *exactly* the same in optometry school.

The social and academic claustrophobia of 2nd year is the same in optometry school, too. Thinking of it as boot camp helps -- you're only there for a (relatively) short time, and when you're done you never have to return. I'm really happy to have gone to the school I went to, and even happier it's something I'll never have to do again. :D

I've noticed that I've become progressively more and more tired, no, exhausted and annoyed by classmates and professors. I'm constantly complaining about school, feeling lonely because a lot of people I once considered friends have turned out to be freakazoids, etc... Let me get one thing straight: I still love dentistry and I can't wait to start practicing, so please don't tell me I chose the wrong profession! I'm just 100% sick and tired of school and all the drama / inside politics / annoying classmates / irrelevant hoops we have to jump through blah blah blah.

I feel the same way right now, I'm at the end of my second year in pharmacy and I am sooooo burned out right now. I don't know if dentistry gets the whole summer off but we get about 3 months off which I *hope* will refresh me enough to grind out the next two years. Pretty much I go to sleep worrying about school and wake up the same, it sucks!

In dental school the pressures and expectations are extremely high. It is constantly one test after another. Each new test more important than the last building up to the finals and then.......national and regional boards which decides if you get to practice what you have sacrifced a good part of your life for. You dental school classmates are like a large family. Personalities and egos will run wild within the walls of your school. I swear they can easily do a reality show in any dental school in the US and it be just as dramatic as some of the best on TV now.
Keep your eyes on the prize. Find some hobbies, exercise. Working out your frustrations with exercise is a great way to let off steam. Try and interact with only those people that make you feel good or others you can assist. Use webiste like this one and www.newdocs.com to provide support and tips along the way.
IT's not easy but most things worth your time usually aren't. Keep your head up and GOOD LUCK!:)

Use webiste like this one and www.newdocs.com to provide support and tips along the way.

This is the third time you've spammed SDN with this link. Each of your 3 posts has included this link. Are you really a pre-dent or are you just a paid spammer?

Sorry you feel that way. No pay in this for me. Just talking about something I believe in, sharing resources I and others have found helpful, and trying to give advice best I can. Sorry if I offened you. If I can help in anyway let me know. Good Luck to you!
BTW, I changed my status. Thanks for letting me know.

I'm an old timer as far as my class is concerned...27 and 1st year so I feel I am able to breeze through a bunch of the gossipy bs that plagues any social atmosphere.

However, 11 classes this semester is too much. I took a max of 5 classes in undergrad and I just feel this is overkill...especially with summer sessions. I hear 2nd year is a bit worse.

I also get depressed and to be honest, the only time I feel like everything is going to work out is when i pull out those typodonts and start grinding away. I love polishing off those margins to look f'ing razzle dazzle against my cut guide. And...fluoride, biochem, biomaterials, etc seems to just fade away.

The school will break you down and build you back up. For good reason...this aint fast food. They will mold you and shape you into what they want. You can fight it...or roll with the punches.

We all feel your pain bro - but dentistry is and always will remain a good profession to get into. Trust me...I've worked quite a few jobs.

I hated dental school. The worst people I have ever met were in my class. I found it to be 4 years of hell for me. After it was over I felt it was worth it and life is great. I still won't talk with most of my classmates and professors.

Those A-hole classmates are A-hole dentists, their personalities never change. The nice classmates still stay nice though. Thank God for the nice professors and the few nice classmates.

Funny, because I know a lot of dentists that went to school together.. a lot of them told me that they had the time of their lives...

but of course, they probably were all in a clique.

Funny, because I know a lot of dentists that went to school together.. a lot of them told me that they had the time of their lives...

but of course, they probably were all in a clique.

:laugh:My teachers tell me the same thing....I'm thinking it might have been being in a clique or frat or something. Don't get me wrong, the friends I've made are some of the most awesome people I've ever met. But I just wish it didn't come with all of the work. Maybe 3rd and 4th year are better?

The work load of dental school definitely sucks, but overall I'm having a great time. My class is awesome.

The best comparison is pledging a frat. It sucks at the time, but looking back it may be some of the best times of your life.

My advice: take school one day at a time and try to enjoy yourself, your friends, and your free time. There is nothing worse than saying, "I can't wait until I finish this year"...

Because next year it will be, "I can't wait until I finish dental school"...
And the following year, "Can't wait until I buy into my own practice"...
Etc. you get the point !

Just live life and be happy. Work hard and you will graduate. No one likes someone down in the dumps. Smile.

jb!:)

We all know just what you are going through. But let me tell you, life on the other side is beautiful! You say you love dentistry and that will get you through! When school is over you will be so thankful that you persevered! Life only gets better when you finally are in control over your destiny.

I feel sorry that your classmates blow. That's one problem we didn't have at my school. The admin sucked so bad that we just instinctively stuck together.

Just to get another perspective going here - but wouldn't other people in your class who were once your friends also consider you to be a "freakazoid"? I mean, you're constantly complaining about school, shutting yourself from others, and feeling depressed all the time - - yeah, I'd say that you're just as much of a "freakazoid" as your classmate and you're feeding forward your own darkness by hating on classmates, admins, and profs.

Face it, if you're not happy ~ no one else is gonna look happy to you. If anyone else looks happy, you'd think they're having fun at YOUR expense. Brighten up your own outlook first before blaming **** on other people. If you can't take it anymore, get some SSRI going before you shoot up your class.

Just to get another perspective going here - but wouldn't other people in your class who were once your friends also consider you to be a "freakazoid"? I mean, you're constantly complaining about school, shutting yourself from others, and feeling depressed all the time - - yeah, I'd say that you're just as much of a "freakazoid" as your classmate and you're feeding forward your own darkness by hating on classmates, admins, and profs.

Face it, if you're not happy ~ no one else is gonna look happy to you. If anyone else looks happy, you'd think they're having fun at YOUR expense. Brighten up your own outlook first before blaming **** on other people. If you can't take it anymore, get some SSRI going before you shoot up your class.

Whoa there. I never said I was constantly complaining about school or shutting myself from others. That's the beauty of an anonymous board like SDN - I can tell the absolute truth and get some words of wisdom from others in similar situations without having to dump my issues on my friends, family etc...

And the problem isn't that no one else "looks" happy to me - it's the back-stabbing competitiveness, cattiness, gossiping, only caring about grades and not actually learning etc.. that is getting to me. People act less professional in dental school than they did in undergrad and it's a huge disappointment to me. I'm not "depressed" - I just get down sometimes because I expected to meet a wonderful group of professional and fun-loving people and it just didn't work out that way. I also expected to meet professors whose main objective would be our learning - people with whom I'd form life-long friendships. Instead, they treat us like children... but perhaps it's because we often act like children... hmmmm:confused:

Anyway, in everyone's defense, as well as mine, we are going through about 15 finals right now so I'm sure that isn't helping to bring out the best in anyone, including myself. But I assure you, I don't need an SSRI and I'm certainly not going to shoot up the school.

Quite honestly, I don't appreciate your comments - they were anything but helpful or insightful. Let's just imagine for a second that someone on this network really was on the brink of losing it - do you think your heartless comments would really help that person? Yea, you're going to make a great dentist. I can almost feel your empathy coming through the screen. :cool:

Don't you both go to the same school? :p

Whoa there. I never said I was constantly complaining about school or shutting myself from others.
I'm finishing up my 2nd year of dental school and I've noticed that I've become progressively more and more tired, no, exhausted and annoyed by classmates and professors. I'm constantly complaining about school, feeling lonely because a lot of people I once considered friends have turned out to be freakazoids, etc...

... it's the back-stabbing competitiveness, cattiness, gossiping, only caring about grades and not actually learning etc.. that is getting to me.

You mentioned this in the first post, that's why I thought you couldn't possibly be in our class. I don't think anyone in our class has this backstabbing competitiveness at all. So many people in the class are helpful by sending out notes, reminding each other of things to be done, and giving tips in the preclin. I don't care about my grades, and I know quite a few who are only after GP and not worrying about their grades either. Maybe you're hanging out with the wrong group of people and it's making you depressed.

I also expected to meet professors whose main objective would be our learning - people with whom I'd form life-long friendships. Instead, they treat us like children... but perhaps it's because we often act like children...

There maybe a few in class that make the whole class look bad ~ leaving early in endo and not cleaning up the xray, chatting when she wants us to pipe down, etc etc... but the majority are well behaved in my opinion. Again, there are 115 of us, and you may be just sitting in the wrong area. It's free sitting in most classes, start to get to know other people more.

we are going through about 15 finals right now so I'm sure that isn't helping to bring out the best in anyone...

Last week was pretty crazy - but if you think about it... it's really one written exam (pharm), and 2 practicals that weren't very hard at all. Half of us scored over 90 for the remo anatomical, and I'm sure you did great too. And there are going to be like 15 operative summative, so I'm going in every week with minimal stress.

... second that someone on this network really was on the brink of losing it

Well, like you said earlier - the forum allows us to be truthful and etc. I meant what I said, "change your outlook" - go to class with a happier outlook and it's all good. We got OD/RAD in 24 hours, and if you go with the attitude of "all I need to do is pass", you'd be happier.

Last week was pretty crazy - but if you think about it... it's really one written exam (pharm), and 2 practicals that weren't very hard at all. Half of us scored over 90 for the remo anatomical, and I'm sure you did great too. And there are going to be like 15 operative summative, so I'm going in every week with minimal stress.

Well, like you said earlier - the forum allows us to be truthful and etc. I meant what I said, "change your outlook" - go to class with a happier outlook and it's all good. We got OD/RAD in 24 hours, and if you go with the attitude of "all I need to do is pass", you'd be happier.

It was a joke, dreaming2k5 - your first post was pretty mean so I was joking that you must be one of those people in my class. I don't live in Boston so I don't think we go to the same school. Anyway, good luck on your finals - I guess all D2s around the country are going through them right now:rolleyes:

...shoot up your class eh? good job giving him ideas there sparsy. :laugh:

I guess all D2s around the country are going through them right now:rolleyes:

No, all D2s aren't going through the same hardships right now. My undergrad friend in UF dental is crying a river because they stuck her with 8 exams in a single week. At BU, we have it easy because we paid top dollars for the admins to figure out how to let us slack off. If it wasn't for the radiology exam in 17 hours, I'd literally have nothing to do.

This is madness!
madness.jpg

And what the hell cold front? I been with SDN since July '05 and I don't have a cool 2+ yr member icon!

Nice to see contrasting opinions from the BU peeps. I hope my time there is well spent.:)

Happiness is relative, though. I don't think everyone is happy at any school. What some find dreadful, others find peace in.

I can totally empathize with you on this one (just as most on this thread can). Try not to sweat it too much. Before you know it you will be in clinic nearly full-time (about the end of third year at my school) and you can kind of branch out on your own. The high school bull**** seemed to die out some by this point too which made things easier. As far as the profs go, just realize that most of them IMO are programmed to think you don't know **** until you're a DSIV and its nothing personal (in most cases). Its hilarious how those same professors (almost like a light switch) change their attitude towards you when you become a senior and pretty much stay out of your way from there on out. They will be way too busy hazing the up and coming 2nd and 3rd years to worry about you anyways :). Just stick with it, focus on the light at the end of the tunnel and you'll be in good shape...

"Hazing" the 3rd years?? :scared: That's exactly what I'm afraid of. We start clinic in a few weeks but we've already had a few perio maintenance pts. While some profs seem to understand that we're just learning everything, others expect us to be experts - "hazing" is pretty close to how I felt with a few of them. I mean, I want them to tell me what I need to improve on but I don't appreciate being grilled and picked on in front of my patient. Oh boy - let the games begin!

This threat scares me....Especially the arguments in essay format written by SDNers

Dental school sucks.

I can't wait to get in the clinic. I know that they are stressed out too for their own reasons but I think I'll enjoy that part of school much more.

I've only got a little over 12 months to go and I'll be there if everything works out right.

Maybe I should feel bad, judging by all of the negative responses I've read, but I haven't minded dental school at all. Sure, I hate learning about the kidney's and the malate-aspartate shuttle, and hate it when I chip a piece of plastic "enamel" during a practical, but overall it's not that bad. Generally I try to do well in the dental classes that matter, and slack off in the science courses. If you're not trying to specialize, and you don't need the pride of earning A's in every course, it's really a damn good philosophy. My group of friends go to the bars every weekend, play all the intermural sports, play golf, go to sporting events, and generally have a good time. So if any other pre-dents read through this thread and become scared to death...........for me, at least, it's not that bad!

Maybe I should feel bad, judging by all of the negative responses I've read, but I haven't minded dental school at all. Sure, I hate learning about the kidney's and the malate-aspartate shuttle, and hate it when I chip a piece of plastic "enamel" during a practical, but overall it's not that bad. Generally I try to do well in the dental classes that matter, and slack off in the science courses. If you're not trying to specialize, and you don't need the pride of earning A's in every course, it's really a damn good philosophy. My group of friends go to the bars every weekend, play all the intermural sports, play golf, go to sporting events, and generally have a good time. So if any other pre-dents read through this thread and become scared to death...........for me, at least, it's not that bad!

I think this thread has more to do with students being unhappy at a particular school. Students at many other schools seem to be doing just fine.

:thumbup: If we went to the same school, we'd be friends !

jb!:)

which dental school do you go to?

which dental school do you go to?

UMKC

And to the above person who suggested that it may be a school-based thing, trust me, there are students in my class going nuts. And there are people who study every day and hate it. Sorry, but that's not for me. I'll study the night before/morning of, and take the B. Spending hours and hours on something simply to earn an A is for me, well, pointless.