i want to become a dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saied

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello. im currently 18 and in 12th grade. i want to get my self started early on this so i can pass. im taking an ap bio course and statsitcs. i want to get really ready for this this summer so i need some info about which books i could buy to pass my DAT with a high score? also when people write their numbers in here for what they got on dat what does all those numbers mean, and also the acronyms.
for those who have taken the dat, if i pass the ap bio with a 5, is there high chance of me passing the bio section of dat. i looked at the practice tests and the bio part was easy but i heard that the sample tests the ADA sends u are really easy so i want to figure out where i stand.

much appreciated. btw i did really bad in highschool because i didnt take care of my grades. ill be attending one year of county college and then transfer to temple or somewhere else. my gpa was 2.7 out 4. ouch. sats around 1500 on all( had no calculator for math section and didnt really study)
if i do really good in college, would my bad gpa in highschool count for admission to dental schools.
thanks all for reading and responding. cant wait to see what books i need to read for dat. :)

Members don't see this ad.

You want to take your DAT after you take the pre-reqs at a 4-year school. You are putting the cart before the horse...And nobody will care about highschool, or your SATs. However, I would think that with a 1500 SAT, you could get right into a decent 4 year program, why waste your time at a CC?

Members don't see this ad :)
You want to take your DAT after you take the pre-reqs at a 4-year school. You are putting the cart before the horse...And nobody will care about highschool, or your SATs. However, I would think that with a 1500 SAT, you could get right into a decent 4 year program, why waste your time at a CC?
i think that SAT is setup a little different now. my brother took it not too long ago and he said that there were 3 sections now and the top score is higher than a 1600 or somthing crazy like that (2400 maybe??). so i actually think that a 1500 is not as great as it was when we took it.

No one gives a hoot about your high school grades, get straight As at the CC and transfer to a 4 year if you are definitely planning to go the CC route. Make sure that upon transfer you keep your grades high, don't need straight As but it never hurts to go for this. Good luck, you have a long road ahead of you, but good for you that you know what you want to do.

much appreciated. btw i did really bad in highschool because i didnt take care of my grades. ill be attending one year of county college and then transfer to temple or somewhere else. my gpa was 2.7 out 4. ouch. sats around 1500 on all( had no calculator for math section and didnt really study)

im getting tired of people putting excuses for their low GPAs and test scores because they didn't study. if you really want to become a dentist set goals for yourself and accomplish those goals. when you enter college you start fresh with a brand new spanking 0.0 GPA. Start studying now....

Do NOT study the DAt yet, just worry about your gpa now.
for the next 2 years
just GPA.

all right guys. thanks. and templedrdkrazed ur right. but becoming a dentist was really never a goal for me till like recently. either way i should have tried harder because highschool matters still. im happy that the rock finally hit my head and i relized that studying is important. btw what are some courses u guys recomond i take. i want to be ready as much as possible. btw how many years do u have to attend college to be able to take the DAT and get into a college. one more question is that i am not american and moved to america 6 years ago. although i can speak fine, my gramer and vocab is low.( one reason that i got low on sat writing and reading comprehension, now whining thou). is that dat verbal that hard?

u guys are great and very helpful. thank you so much guys

You should buy the ADEA Guide to Dental Schools. http://www.adea.org/ADEANews/2008/OGRelease031008.pdf
This book will tell you quite a bit about applying and what schools are looking for, including required classes you should put on your schedule. It's $35 but well worth it. If I had this info b/f I started college, I would have been much better off.

like the others said. just focus on getting As. if you really have time and you want to study dat then go to a book store and buy some dat prep books.

from what i remember. i am pretty sure the bio section of the dat was harder than the ap bio test. but, i took the ap bio test like 4 years ago......so i dont really remember? what is "hard" is different for each person. some people might have thought of the ap bio test was hard and the dat easy. some people think they are both hard and some people think they are both easy?

again, like the others said. dental schools dont care about your high school stuff. just work hard in college and you should be fine.

i took the dat the summer going into my junior year. some people take it their junior year. some people take it the summer after their junior year.

again, something that is "hard" for you might be easy for someone else. i have a tough time answering questions like "is it that hard?" i think as long as you work hard and put in a honest amount of effort then you will be fine.

edit: grammar errors

all right guys. thanks. and templedrdkrazed ur right. but becoming a dentist was really never a goal for me till like recently. either way i should have tried harder because highschool matters still. im happy that the rock finally hit my head and i relized that studying is important. btw what are some courses u guys recomond i take. i want to be ready as much as possible. btw how many years do u have to attend college to be able to take the DAT and get into a college. one more question is that i am not american and moved to america 6 years ago. although i can speak fine, my gramer and vocab is low.( one reason that i got low on sat writing and reading comprehension, now whining thou). is that dat verbal that hard?

u guys are great and very helpful. thank you so much guys

i'm sorry. i didn't mean to tell you to start studying for the DAT now...I meant to say start studying for your courses from this point onward to strive for that A.