Can you tell me about SCCO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Framecontrol

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a junior right now and will be a senior in the fall. It is time I take my OAT's this summer and apply for OPT. schools.

Anyway, I have lived in New York my entire life and I have been to California one time.

When I was there I really liked it, and therefore I am thinking to settle down permanently in Cali. Going to school there would make or break this decision.

Anyway, if I knew a bit what SCCO was like and how life is living in fullerton, it would totally help me make a decision.

So if anyone can tell me what they think.... Move from NYC to Cali?? Big decision....

I think I will love it at SCCO... I just don't know enough about it...

Thank you every one.
-MAtt

Members don't see this ad.

umm yeah; i almost dont know what to say to you! :) anyways
fullerton is suburbia orange county.... close enough to la to go to a lakers game or a play or clubbing sometimes but far enough away that you are not seeing poor urban pts in our clinic... the school is really nice; private school with a new clinic and all updated/nice equipment. if you think that you want to practice in orangecounty/la/anywhere near so cal you are CRAZY!!!!! there are 500 docs within a 5 mile radius of the school.. literally one on every street corner... i wouldnt really plan on going here to end up around here because it seems like every cali resident that goes to scco also wants to stay. if you like the big city you will prolly miss nyc.. but if you like west coast laid back suburbs you will be fine here?

SCCO is awesome, and Southern California is great (beautiful weather all year round)...I couldn't ask for more here. You've got both the mountains and the beach nearby, with plenty of activities to do around here. Feel free to check out my blog to get a better idea on what life here is like...I have updated it about every week or so since my very first day in optometry school:

http://www.optstudent.com/nucleus

Members don't see this ad :)
Fullerton is urban sprawl. I love LA, or parts of it, but Fullerton seems generic to me. If I were moving to California, I'd rather move to Berkeley if possible.

umm yeah; i almost dont know what to say to you! :) anyways
fullerton is suburbia orange county.... close enough to la to go to a lakers game or a play or clubbing sometimes but far enough away that you are not seeing poor urban pts in our clinic... the school is really nice; private school with a new clinic and all updated/nice equipment. if you think that you want to practice in orangecounty/la/anywhere near so cal you are CRAZY!!!!! there are 500 docs within a 5 mile radius of the school.. literally one on every street corner... i wouldnt really plan on going here to end up around here because it seems like every cali resident that goes to scco also wants to stay. if you like the big city you will prolly miss nyc.. but if you like west coast laid back suburbs you will be fine here?

Ahh excellent advice from everyone! Thank you all.

I guess what troubles me most is where I would like to practice. If there really are TONS of practices already opened, then where would be the best place to open a practice in california?? I feel like NYC has the SAME deal!

Although I must say, I realllllly want to live in california... I even had a dream about it the other night! lol

I want to make the most money possible, so is Cali. really the best place to practice if there is so much competition?

My main concern... Best place to go to school, live, and practice in.

ALFEREC- I am totally siked on your blog! I am glad you have it and plan to read the entire thing hahaha... I will comment!

Cheers everyone! Anymore thoughts would be glorious!

Ahh excellent advice from everyone! Thank you all.

I guess what troubles me most is where I would like to practice. If there really are TONS of practices already opened, then where would be the best place to open a practice in california?? I feel like NYC has the SAME deal!

Although I must say, I realllllly want to live in california... I even had a dream about it the other night! lol

I want to make the most money possible, so is Cali. really the best place to practice if there is so much competition?

My main concern... Best place to go to school, live, and practice in.

ALFEREC- I am totally siked on your blog! I am glad you have it and plan to read the entire thing hahaha... I will comment!

Cheers everyone! Anymore thoughts would be glorious!

Hey there framecontrol,

I'm going to be starting my first year at SCCO in August, and I've lived in California all my life. So, in general California is laid back, but Northern California is completely different from Southern California.
But yeah making "lots" of money is relative to what you spend your money on and how comfortable you want your lifestyle to be. The big thing about optometry right now (as you can see from other posts) are that the market is super-saturated in metropolitan areas, you'll probably be able to make more money and treat more problems in suburban areas and less populated areas. Everyone else thinks the same way: great school in a great environment, then why not settle down in the area.

I work in San Francisco, and optometrists are everywhere, and usually grads from Berkeley. there are probably 5-6 optometrists within a 3 blocks on one of the main streets in Berkeley. So, finding a job won't be a problem, but if you want to start a practice that will be tough, unless you find the money to purchase a practice. But there are plenty of other options to practice optometry (commercial, hospital, teaching, etc).

Any way, I hope this helps.