Psychiatry is pure ****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crippledoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm no scientologist but they've got one thing right - psychiatry is nothing apart from an outight pseudoscience. I don't know how anyone can find this **** interesting or rewarding (in anything other than financial terms). You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Members don't see this ad.

pre med knowledge about psych ... pure ****

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm no scientologist but they've got one thing right - psychiatry is nothing apart from an outight pseudoscience. I don't know how anyone can find this **** interesting or rewarding (in anything other than financial terms). You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Enjoy your ever-so-scientific rounding on festering drains and rectal tubes oozing ****. I'm sure you'll have a brilliant career doing what you find interesting.

So you find the mentally ill population so uninteresting that they should?
a. Be put to death
b. Be ignored
c. be quarantined
d. None of the above

If D....please explain your plan.

:laugh:

Enjoy your ever-so-scientific rounding on festering drains and rectal tubes oozing ****. I'm sure you'll have a brilliant career doing what you find interesting.

Gee that's a great angle- trivializing the unpleasant work involved in legitimate specialities. Thanks for proving my point jackass.

The thing about large, angry, blanket statements are that they often say much more about the person saying it than about whatever it is they are talking about.

So you find the mentally ill population so uninteresting that they should?
a. Be put to death
b. Be ignored
c. be quarantined
d. None of the above

If D....please explain your plan.

:laugh:

All I know is that involuntary commitment should be abolished.

The thing about large, angry, blanket statements are that they often say much more about the person saying it than about whatever it is they are talking about.

I'm hyperbolizing but I sincerely believe that it's an appropriate way to argue against psychiatry.

Jeeze, cripple, at least wait until you're actually in medical school before you start slamming other specialties. 'Til you've done the rotation, it's probably a bit early to pass judgment, no?

How seriously would you take the criticism if in college a middle schooler told you your major was dumb and you were a dork for doing it? I'd imagine not very.

Agreed. I noticed he started this gem over in EM.

If you listen closely, I believe you hear the sound of the axe grinding...

It appears obvious that you won't be choosing psychiatry for your specialty and that's fine. Psychiatry isn't for everyone. However, if you choose any specialty that involves patient contact, you will be dealing with people who suffer from psychiatric illnesses from time to time. I would hope that you would keep an open mind about psychiatry until you learn more about it when you actually do a psychiatry rotation for the benefit of your future patients.

One one derides a current practice, the onus is on them to provide a better alternative, no? I would also remind you that you would breaking laws, standards of practice, and the Hippocratic oath by refusing to refer one of your patients with psychiatric problems for treatment. Your retort? The ethical practice of medicine requires one to think broadly about issues and what is best for the patient, not just what they want or what they believe, no?

Members don't see this ad :)
However, if you choose any specialty that involves patient contact, you will be dealing with people who suffer from psychiatric illnesses from time to time. I would hope that you would keep an open mind about psychiatry until you learn more about it when you actually do a psychiatry rotation for the benefit of your future patients.
crippledoc- Good advice here ^^^.

Also, you might want to reconsider Emergency Medicine if you have big problems with psychiatry. At many hospitals, psych issues will be a big part of your life. I know at SF General, where I worked, a full 20% of admissions were psych-based. Might look into something else if this really bothers you.

Or at least keep an open mind until you get into medical school, learn more about the field, and get some firsthand exposure.

One one derides a current practice, the onus is on them to provide a better alternative, no? I would also remind you that you would breaking laws, standards of practice, and the Hippocratic oath by refusing to refer one of your patients with psychiatric problems for treatment. Your retort? The ethical practice of medicine requires one to think broadly about issues and what is best for the patient, not just what they want or what they believe, no?

If I have to name an alternative then I propose that it is better not to intervene at all than to do what psychiatry is currently doing. It's better to "ignore" (your words) the mentally ill than to offer them unsound treatment. If one doesn't believe that psychiatric treatment is best for the patient, then refusing to refer said patient for psychiatric drugging does not undermine the hypocratic oath, which psychiatry blatantly ignores anyway. The standards of practice can suck my nuts.

All I know is that involuntary commitment should be abolished.

If one doesn't believe that psychiatric treatment is best for the patient, then refusing to refer said patient would not undermine the hypocratic oath, which psychiatry blatantly ignores anyway. The standards of practice can suck my nuts.

Could you share with us why you feel this way about psychiatry? So far you've only mentioned something about involuntary commitments. I'm very curious to know why you feel the way you do.

If I have to name an alternative then I propose that it is better not to intervene at all. You call this "ignoring" the mentally ill; I call it admission that psychiatry is unsound.

Then I hope you are prepared to lose your license quickly, get sued, become destitute, and generally spend alot of time in court. Sound fun to you? Do you really think this is fair to your patients? That's pretty cold-hearted to all those suffering out there. This lack of caring and empathy is not compatible with a career in medicine. You will not last long, and if you do, your lack of empathy will result in a nonexistent referral base for your practice. Tell you what, when you develop cancer, instead of giving you a new experimental drug that works, even though we don't quite understand how yet, no matter how much you want it, Ill just ignore you. sound fair? Your retort?

Could you share with us why you feel this way about psychiatry? So far you've only mentioned something about involuntary commitments. I'm very curious to know why you feel the way you do.

Could you share with me why you feel it's ethical to expose children to SSRIs? I'm very curious to know why you believe it's sensible to administer drugs that inhibit the secretion of testosterone and growth hormone to persons who are still developing.

Then I hope you are prepared to lose your license quickly, get sued, become destitute, and generally spend alot of time in court. Sound fun to you? Do you really think this is fair to your patients? That's pretty cold-hearted to all those suffering out there. This lack of caring and empathy is not compatible with a career in medicine. You will not last long, and if you do, your lack of empathy will result in a nonexistent referral base for your practice. Tell you what, when you develop cancer, instead of giving you a new experimental drug that works, even though we don't quite understand how yet, no matter how much you want it, Ill just ignore you. sound fair? Your retort?

If you believe that advising a patient against psychiatric treatment is analogous to refusing to administer a potentially life-saving cancer drug to a patient who has nothing to lose, then you are simply too stupid for me to communicate with.

If I have to name an alternative then I propose that it is better not to intervene at all than to do what psychiatry is currently doing. It's better to "ignore" (your words) the mentally ill than to offer them unsound treatment. If one doesn't believe that psychiatric treatment is best for the patient, then refusing to refer said patient for psychiatric drugging does not undermine the hypocratic oath, which psychiatry blatantly ignores anyway.
Can I ask how sure you are of medicine as a career path? You showed an interest in Emergency Medicine, but that's not going to be compatible with your beliefs. You can basically rule out FP/Internal Med, without a doubt. Peds too. In fact, a refusal to interact with psychiatry or psychiatrists pretty much rules you out of any patient-contact field in medicine.

What are your thoughts on Pathology and Radiology? Those two come to mind as possibilities. Are there any fields I'm missing?

If you believe that advising a patient against psychiatric treatment is analogous to refusing to administer a potentially life-saving cancer drug to a patient who has nothing to lose, then you are simply too stupid for me to communicate with.
What do you think this comment says about your personality, maturity level, and ability to work effectively at an interpersonal level with patients? When a patient becomes obstinate (as they often do) do you think engaging in arbitrary personal insults will make them more or less resistant to your advice and treatment plans? I would remind you that med school requires one to have a high tolerance of stress (and BS in general) and to maintain appropriate and professional judgment in the face of situations that elicit frustration and anger.

What do you think this comment says about your personality, maturity level, and ability to work effectively at an interpersonal level with patients? When a patient becomes obstinate (as they often do) do you think engaging in arbitrary personal insults will make them more or less resistant to your advice and treatment plans? I would remind you that med school requires one to have a high tolerance of stress (and BS in general) and maintain appropriate and professional judgment in the face of frustration and stress.

The comment says less about my personality and maturity level than about the fact that you're a f*cktard.

:laugh:....sweet. Good luck even trying to get into med school with such an defensive and infantile attitude dude. You can dismiss them all you want, but these are real and important qualities when deciding if one is cut out for med school and a career in medicine. Any doc will tel you the exact same thing

Can I ask how sure you are of medicine as a career path? You showed an interest in Emergency Medicine, but that's not going to be compatible with your beliefs. You can basically rule out FP/Internal Med, without a doubt. Peds too. In fact, a refusal to interact with psychiatry or psychiatrists pretty much rules you out of any patient-contact field in medicine.

What are your thoughts on Pathology and Radiology? Those two come to mind as possibilities. Are there any fields I'm missing?

Why would it be impossible to interact with patients if you don't believe in psychiatry? Seems like they did it for a long time before psychiatry started ****ting everything up. And, truthfully, it's not that I would refuse to work with psychiatrists, period, it's just that I would be much more reluctant than most to do so, and would try to avoid it whenever possible.

Why would it be impossible to interact with patients if you don't believe in psychiatry?
If you don't believe in a field of medicine commonly used by many specialties, you couldn't go into one of those specialties. Psych interacts with many, many specialties. I'm sure there are more you'd be safe in than radiology and pathology, but that's all that's coming to mind right now.
Seems like they did it for a long time before psychiatry started ****ting everything up.
Yeah, and ERs ran just fine without EKG's too. But try getting a job in an ER telling them you refuse to use EKG's because you don't believe in them.

By all means, stand by your beliefs, but you have to do so with intelligence and realize that sacrifices are going to be made. You'll be ruling out lots of medical fields.
And, truthfully, it's not that I would refuse to work with psychiatrists, period, it's just that I would be much more reluctant than most to do so, and would try to avoid it whenever possible.
Fine. But if you're going to avoid psych treatment, avoid psych issues. And that rules out many fields in medicine.

But you'll find your niche, either in a non-patient care specialty or even outside of medicine. Things work themselves out.

If I have to name an alternative then I propose that it is better not to intervene at all than to do what psychiatry is currently doing. It's better to "ignore" (your words) the mentally ill than to offer them unsound treatment. If one doesn't believe that psychiatric treatment is best for the patient, then refusing to refer said patient for psychiatric drugging does not undermine the hypocratic oath, which psychiatry blatantly ignores anyway. The standards of practice can suck my nuts.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ohmigod.

I...just...can't...stop...laughing...long enough...to respond to your...post.

Whew. Ok.

First off, it's hippocratic, not hypocratic. Second, nowhere in medicine today does "do no harm" really exist. It's a great ideal, but in reality it's all a balancing of risks vs. benefits with every intervention. Do you think a surgeon does no harm in taking out an inflamed appendix? Well I have news for you, he has to cut through the abdominal wall and a lot of people view that as barbaric as quite a bit of harm. But when weighed with the possible benefits, it's an obvious choice.

Now go meet someone who has real mental illness. I'm not talking about your goth ex-girlfriend that's "so deep and depressed" and writes bad poetry. I'm talking about the people that're walking in traffic because they're manic and think they're invincible, the people that're jumping off bridges because they can't quiet the voices in their head screaming at them telling them to do it, the people who had to be intubated and had a long ICU hospitalization because of their 3rd severe overdose. Go work with those people and show me your Do No Harm intervention, which would result in that patient's death from lack of efficacy.

Or for god's sake do a little schooling before you flap your mouth with rash judgments based on minimal direct experience. What's your experience with psychiatry? Were you or a friend or family member on an ssri as a kid? Congratulations on your N=1 study. Whooptyfriggindo.

I'm sorry but I can't waste any more time on trolls.

I had originally intended to write "hypcritical oath" for precisely the reason you discuss but I backtracked and typo'd. And yes I admit that there are a small number of severely mentally ill people who really do benefit from psychiatric treatment. But sadly the psychiatric establishment has expanded far beyond its real utility and now primarily concerns itself with profitable pseudoscienctific nonsense like peddling ritalin to young children, aggressively pushing mind-numbing fluoride pills on every mildly depressed person in the universe, minimzing and dismissing the known dangers of its most common practices, encouraging normal people to seek treament for the most trivial complaints, dominating patients with involuntary commitment in those depraved mental health ghettos you call "residential treatment facilities," inventing bull**** labels of mental illness for the DSM-V, and lobbying activities blatantly designed to benefit the profession like mandatory mental health screening and forcing insurance companies to cover the whole clusterf*ck of worthless mental health treatments that psychiatrists have quacked up to date. What should be a bastion of hope for the severely mentally ill is now an insane profit-driven monster out of control that patients rightfully fear and that does far more harm than good in the world overall. Psychiatry is truly a disgrace. I really mean that. I don't know whether this speciality attracts psychos or produces them, but I do know that the only people more f*cked up than psychiatric patients are the doctors who treat them. Whenever people confide in me about feeling depressed and wondering whether they should seek help, I tell them to stay the hell away from psychiatry, and that it's better to be depressed than medicated.

I don't know whether this speciality attracts psychos or produces them, but I do know that the only people more f*cked up than psychiatric patients are the doctors who treat them. Whenever people confide in me about feeling depressed and wondering whether they should seek help, I tell them to stay the hell away from psychiatry, and that it's better to be depressed than medicated.
Are you speaking from experience here? Your raw hatred for the field sounds a lot more than just intellectual.

Sorry if you've had a bad experience or someone you've loved has had a bad experience. I'd recommend that if you make it to medical school, you do so with an open mind and see what you learn. Your close-mindedness about psychiatry is just..... unscientific. Letting emotion get in the way of reason is a bad precedence to start off with when you tackle something like med school.

Status
Not open for further replies.