This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychMD1987

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I am interested in applying to a forensic psychiatry fellowship. I did not get much experience in my general residency and only had experience at the Juvenile Justice System for my CAP fellowship. During fellowship it was more clinical exposure than forensics per se. I always had an interest in psychiatry and the law, attended UC Davis: CAP and the Law series of case conferences (which were amazing) and it wasn't until the tail end of my CAP fellowship that I decided to apply for the 2024-2025 cycle. To be fully transparent, I only applied to a handful of programs I thought were interesting but it did not pan out. First, I didn't know how competitive some programs were like UC Davis and also my CV isn't built like I had been interested. I also have to work on my interviewing skills but that's something I'll have to figure out on my own but I had a couple of questions:

1. I know it's subjective on what programs are best but which ones would you consider provide best/better training for forensics with exposure to BOTH adult and child cases ?
  2. How would one who developed an interest so late in forensics beef up ones CV in order to stand out ?
Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

To be fully transparent, I only applied to a handful of programs I thought were interesting but it did not pan out.
Also a future applicant but just curious what a handful means. There's only about 50 programs and the advice is often to only apply to "a handful".

Also a future applicant but just curious what a handful means. There's only about 50 programs and the advice is often to only apply to "a handful".
Hello

I only applied to 5 programs and received 4 interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no reason you couldn't still reach out and have a spot for next year. There's no way all the programs are full. Plenty of strong programs don't always fill.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes I actually felt this way about it. Some programs that had openings for 2023-2024 year, filled this year. I have been reaching out to programs to see if some are still open and taking applications. Unfortunately I have vacation planned for the next two weeks so the conference is a no go.

Thanks for your words ! I appreciate it