So...what have YOU learned from SDN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

w8ting2exhale

what a journey...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know SDN has a lot of "advice threads" but what I want to know is: how is it helping to shape your pre-med experience? things you didn't know before that you know now? List some things you think ALL pre-meds/aspiring doctors SHOULD definitely know.

I'll start:
1) LORs are extremely important. It's not who writes them but rather what is written that matters. Make sure your LORs are STRONG & don't take the risk of getting them from certain people if you have any doubts about how effective their letters will be.

2) Apply early!! Its disavantageous to submit your apps late in the game. Bear this in mind as you prepare for the process (MCAT, LORs, PS, etc)

3) Like what you do and do what you like, in terms of ECs and classes. That's the best way to maintain good grades and be genuinely impressive thru it all.

feel free to add anything you learned from SDN or would like to share with other SDN members :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think the most significant thing I discovered was the existence of SMP's. I've gotten plenty of good advice, but the SMP thing really would've dug me out had I not been accepted this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are many neurotic pre-meds.

I think the most significant thing I discovered was the existence of SMP's. I've gotten plenty of good advice, but the SMP thing really would've dug me out had I not been accepted this cycle.

SMP's?? I still don't know what that is. :( please explain.

SMP=Special Masters Programs. You basically just take the first year of med school, and if you do well, you're in great shape to get in during the next cycle since you've proven you can succeed in med school. If you do poorly...well, don't do poorly. They're perfect for people like me who have strong applications in every area but GPA.

Check the Postbac forum for more info.

SMP=Special Masters Programs. You basically just take the first year of med school, and if you do well, you're in great shape to get in during the next cycle since you've proven you can succeed in med school. If you do poorly...well, don't do poorly. They're perfect for people like me who have strong applications in every area but GPA.

Check the Postbac forum for more info.

oh wow. I had no idea. see? I just learned something :D

I learned about LOIntents, which probably helped get me off the wait list at my dream school, so yay!

i learned about applying early's importance (which i learned too late) and the importance of update letters along withj LOI's. i think it got me into my dream school. YESTERDAY!!!!!!

I learned about LOIntents, which probably helped get me off the wait list at my dream school, so yay!

i learned about applying early's importance (which i learned too late) and the importance of update letters along withj LOI's. i think it got me into my dream school. YESTERDAY!!!!!!

Congrats to you both!!! :thumbup:

And guys, I would appreciate it if, when you post, you can briefly explain what you learned so anyone else who doesn't know yet can benefit. Thanks! :p

hmm, no. I went to grad school.

People keep telling me that I got a 4.0 in grad school because they hand out A's like candy on Halloween in grad school.

well, I don't know if there's any truth to this tho I do know that most of my friends who are in grad school have high GPAs. But there's been some debate about exactly how much grad school grades really contribute to the med school application process so I guess the safest thing is to try to max out your undergrad gpa as best as you can (if you still got the chance, of course).

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly I think everything I know about med school admissions I learned at SDN (hey, we need to make a t-shirt that says that!) Seriously, I came here at the end of my sophomore year, knowing jack squat about going to medical school, and by the end of the summer I knew all sorts of tips and strategies and exactly what I would need to do to be successful. I honestly don't know how people can successfully navigate the application process without this place.

Honestly I think everything I know about med school admissions I learned at SDN (hey, we need to make a t-shirt that says that!) Seriously, I came here at the end of my sophomore year, knowing jack squat about going to medical school, and by the end of the summer I knew all sorts of tips and strategies and exactly what I would need to do to be successful. I honestly don't know how people can successfully navigate the application process without this place.

Seriously. I just wish I'd found this place my sophomore year...

:clap::clap::clap:

Seriously. I just wish I'd found this place my sophomore year...

I guess this has turned into a great opportunity to say thank you to SDN. Spread the word and invite your friends to join. The more, the merrier. A lot of my friends don't wanna join SDN cuz they think its full of cocky pre-meds but they have no idea what they're missing out on.

Add me to the list of those who knew squat before I found SDN. If it weren't for SDN, I probably would have waited until the summer before my senior year to start gathering up what I needed, and believed that October/November submissions were "early." :eek:

There's no better one stop resource around. WHEN I make it in, it will be thanks to SDN and all the members who share their knowledge and experience.

+1

And that....

a) a well balanced MCAT is more important than a good GPA. To all the people that say schools want well rounded applicants, I say yes, you are correct.... but at the end of the day, the standardized test is what talks the talk. Please don't flame me, I am not trying to start anything...just my simple small humble opinion.

b) apply broadly, even then there are no guarantees.

c) my premed office is useless. I wish I had known SDN before this year.

+1

And that....

a) a well balanced MCAT is more important than a good GPA. To all the people that say schools want well rounded applicants, I say yes, you are correct.... but at the end of the day, the standardized test is what talks the talk. Please don't flame me, I am not trying to start anything...just my simple small humble opinion.

b) apply broadly, even then there are no guarantees.

c) my premed office is useless. I wish I had known SDN before this year.

yes, applying as broadly as possible is very important :thumbup:

Congrats to you both!!! :thumbup:

And guys, I would appreciate it if, when you post, you can briefly explain what you learned so anyone else who doesn't know yet can benefit. Thanks! :p

Haha, thought "LOIntent" was self explanatory, but just to clarify, after getting notification of the WL decisions from Penn, I immediately emailed the director of admissions saying that Penn was absolutely my top choice school, and I'd go there if admitted from the WL, and that I'd be writing a letter to elucidate my strong interest and commitment to attending Penn if accepted. I think my strong show of interest is what got me off the WL so early (pure speculation though, I didn't really know where on the WL I was ranked). But my numbers are pretty average for Penn (3.8 gpa/34 mcat, I'm not saying it's average in general, just average among the Penn matriculants, heh), so I think it's the LOIntent that put me on their good side :)

I didn't find SDN until the June I was applying. I'm kind of thankful though, because I would have definitely gone crazy trying to keep up with the SDN crowd starting my freshman year. I have no "real" research experience (just psych work) or much volunteering, and I'm really involved in only 1 club (and it's not medically related whatsoever) so I might have been too intimidated to try for some of my reach schools if I'd been an SDN subscriber from day 1. But I'm glad I found it when I did because it helped me know what to expect in the application process. :)

learned about klein's books here.
learned about nova's mcat physics book (lifesaver).
learned about SMPs vs. master's vs postbaccs.
learned that undergraduate majors don't matter.
learned that shadowing is important.
learned that research is not as important as clinical experience.

learned a bunch about how med schools work (2 years didactic, 2 years rotations).
learned which texts are important.
learned that grades don't matter the first 2 years of med school as much as your third year and USMLE.
learned about how the match worked.

learned about different residencies/specialties.
learned the difference between prelim and transitional year.
learned about the different fellowships and their competitiveness.

and a ton more. thanks sdn (esp the mods). once i get the money, i'll donate. :thumbup:

EDIT: oh and one MAJOR thing i learned is the existence of osteopathic medicine and what it's about.

learned about klein's books here.
learned about nova's mcat physics book (lifesaver).
learned about SMPs vs. master's vs postbaccs.
learned that undergraduate majors don't matter.
learned that shadowing is important.
learned that research is not as important as clinical experience.

learned a bunch about how med schools work (2 years didactic, 2 years rotations).
learned which texts are important.
learned that grades don't matter the first 2 years of med school as much as your third year and USMLE.
learned about how the match worked.

learned about different residencies/specialties.
learned the difference between prelim and transitional year.
learned about the different fellowships and their competitiveness.

and a ton more. thanks sdn (esp the mods). once i get the money, i'll donate. :thumbup:

EDIT: oh and one MAJOR thing i learned is the existence of osteopathic medicine and what it's about.

I think we have a winner. :thumbup:

i've learned sooo much about the application process. i'm jus starting to apply now and i feel like i know exactly what's going on. i hear my other friend's talking about their application plans and in my head i'm like "that sounds like a terrible idea, but then again i get all my info from SDN!" while i feel most of the info on here is useful, i don't think you'd support any statements you make by saying "according to the internet forum i read..." the funny thing is later friends have been finding out i was right!

one funny thing is my premed adviser never buys any arguments i make that i come up with from SDN. they basically say don't listen to anyone but them. i mean, when i came to them suggesting i may apply to some private schools they had a negative response. their response was "look at Vanderbilt's #s...averages of 3.8 and 34 mcat. private are much harder than state schools." while i agree vanderbilt is out of my league, not all private schools are that high. look at tulane, some of the NY schools, etc. those are the ones i am aiming at. they also always suggest that every state school that you apply to OOS is like applying to a private school. that's not the case for every school tho, look at ohio state. i just called them this morning and they told me they do not give preference to ohio residents. my premed advisors are gonna flip when i tell them in a week that i'm appling to like 15 places. the only advice they gave me was "apply to a few places and see what happens." haha...i actually pointed out "there's this school in new york that is lower and it is a private school..." and they go "hmmm that's right" followed by silence haha.

thanks SDN! my premed advisors dont know jack about schools outside the midwest!

I have learned not to help anyone. People just want you to tell them "o you are so smart...o you will definitely get in". But when you offer the least bit of constructive criticism...many are quick to jump down your throat and call you a jerk.

I have learned not to help anyone. People just want you to tell them "o you are so smart...o you will definitely get in". But when you offer the least bit of constructive criticism...many are quick to jump down your throat and call you a jerk.

hahaha. maybe you need to criticize with style pops

One of the most important things I learned is that there are Md/PhD programs, and what they are. Otherwise, I probably would have aimed only toward a PhD, regretting that I couldn't do both. SDN has enable me to make better informed life path decisions.

I learned that:

1. there are schools in other countries (i.e. Ireland, Australia, etc.) where it is possible to get a good education and still come back home.

2. that I'm not alone.

No, you really don't.

I do have to agree with this statement. Although I feel fortunate for the knowledge I've learned here, I realized how ridiculous some people can be. At one point I left SDN for nearly a year just because people on here were being so freakin' immature and absolutely obnoxious, and I just couldn't stand it anymore. Although I've met some extremely great people here and look forward to working with them in medical school, I feel as if I've gotten a glimpse at some of the people who could end up in my med school class, and it's a pretty frightening thought.

You can decide which people to pay attention to on SDN and which ones to ignore. Overall, I think SDN's a really great and positive tool. I certainly wish I had joined it earlier but it's better late than never.

One HUGE thing I learned from SDN: the existence of mdapplicants.com. Definitely useful. :thumbup:

Chubby, what kind of BS advice is that. Don't criticize people because they can't take it. I can't believe the kind of crap that you post. This is the worst advice ever. You're such a jerk.

haha

well, i've been reading this forum for a few weeks now, and this is what I have learned:

1. the importance of applying early.
2. the existence of LOI's
3. stats alone do not guarantee admission (although it won't hurt)
4. the admissions process is sometimes a bit random
5. that a lot of pre-meds seem a bit too worried about grades rather than actually learning (unfortunately, i fall into this category..I used to take classes to actually learn, now some of them i just need to get that A, and dont really bother taking much from it..the emphasis on GPA is unfortunate, but there isn't a more practical system that i can imagine)

I've learned that I'm not the only obsessive pre-med out there...in fact, I'm not nearly as bad as many people on SDN. :p

well, i've been reading this forum for a few weeks now, and this is what I have learned:

1. the importance of applying early.
2. the existence of LOI's
3. stats alone do not guarantee admission (although it won't hurt)
4. the admissions process is sometimes a bit random
5. that a lot of pre-meds seem a bit too worried about grades rather than actually learning (unfortunately, i fall into this category..I used to take classes to actually learn, now some of them i just need to get that A, and dont really bother taking much from it..the emphasis on GPA is unfortunate, but there isn't a more practical system that i can imagine)

#4- yea, i noticed that too. Thats too bad cuz you can never really know what to expect. It all comes down to doing your best and hoping adcoms value it.

#5- so true. it has become a matter of finding the easiest class/prof to boost your GPA. it may not be right but its effective

was this your first post ever on sdn? Nice job!! :thumbup:

How scared pre-meds are. It's fun. Some of you take this stuff too seriously :p

I want to apply once and only once in a process that has become quite competitive....so yes, i admit that i'm a bit scared.:D

I've learned that I'm not the only obsessive pre-med out there...in fact, I'm not nearly as bad as many people on SDN. :p

well it takes a bit of an obsession to join a premed forum in the first place so there you go. feel right at home. seeing crazed pre-meds makes me feel better and actually helps me calm down and focus more. ;)

Last edited:
Chubby, what kind of BS advice is that. Don't criticize people because they can't take it. I can't believe the kind of crap that you post. This is the worst advice ever. You're such a jerk.

haha
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I think that was sarcasm there Chubs ;)

And this is going to sound really really bad, but one thing I like about SDN is watching people with worse stats and ECs than me getting accepted into medical school. Boosts my own self-confidence about my own chances. Is that bad?

Agreed.

I also learned that I'm way too chill for a pre-med. Though you all should meet this guy I know...I have a 3.7 and he told me my GPA was too low to get into med school. :boom:

And this is going to sound really really bad, but one thing I like about SDN is watching people with worse stats and ECs than me getting accepted into medical school. Boosts my own self-confidence about my own chances. Is that bad?

I'm the same way. I think it's allowed, as long as we don't talk about it too much :rolleyes:

youll like it much, much less when you dont get accepted to the schools that these people with worse stats did

#4- yea, i noticed that too. Thats too bad cuz you can never really know what to expect. It all comes down to doing your best and hoping adcoms value it.

#5- so true. it has become a matter of finding the easiest class/prof to boost your GPA. it may not be right but its effective

Of course it's the right thing to pick easy A teachers, it's a no brainer to any college kid

yup, that was my first post.

I just miss taking all of my classes out of pure enjoyment..I still take some classes, but I have to check out all of the profs beforehand and worry about the grade the whole damn time..to me, it sometimes sucks the fun out of it..

maybe a little lol?

yup, that was my first post.

I just miss taking all of my classes out of pure enjoyment..I still take some classes, but I have to check out all of the profs beforehand and worry about the grade the whole damn time..to me, it sometimes sucks the fun out of it..

yea. that really sucks :(. college is supposed to be about learning and expanding your horizons, developing your curiosity, and exploring new & interesting things. Being pre-med sorta kills it cuz you know you're walking on thin ice. One thing i really hate is when professors say "a grade is just a number". yea, it's a number but its a number that can impact your life!

Although I wanted to start this post with a negative, let me throw in a positive before people start to bash...

I've learned from others past experiences regarding the application process & I will take that into consideration...Obviously taken with a grain of salt, considering the application/acceptance process is individualized.

Now, I've also seen people freaking out because they got 5 B's on their transcript!!! That blows my mind! I understand its competitive, but my gosh a couple of B's?? LOL Obviously everyone applying doesn't have a 4.0, how do you think that happened?? Yup, getting B's and probably some C's...lol

Anyway, I love SDN!:D

I know SDN has a lot of "advice threads" but what I want to know is: how is it helping to shape your pre-med experience? things you didn't know before that you know now? List some things you think ALL pre-meds/aspiring doctors SHOULD definitely know.

I'll start:
1) LORs are extremely important. It's not who writes them but rather what is written that matters. Make sure your LORs are STRONG & don't take the risk of getting them from certain people if you have any doubts about how effective their letters will be.

2) Apply early!! Its disavantageous to submit your apps late in the game. Bear this in mind as you prepare for the process (MCAT, LORs, PS, etc)

3) Like what you do and do what you like, in terms of ECs and classes. That's the best way to maintain good grades and be genuinely impressive thru it all.

feel free to add anything you learned from SDN or would like to share with other SDN members :)

Although I wanted to start this post with a negative, let me throw in a positive before people start to bash...

I've learned from others past experiences regarding the application process & I will take that into consideration...Obviously taken with a grain of salt, considering the application/acceptance process is individualized.

Now, I've also seen people freaking out because they got 5 B's on their transcript!!! That blows my mind! I understand its competitive, but my gosh a couple of B's?? LOL Obviously everyone applying doesn't have a 4.0, how do you think that happened?? Yup, getting B's and probably some C's...lol

Anyway, I love SDN!:D

lol. i still don't know how those with 4.0s do it. its either a lie or very very creepy....