So...what have YOU learned from SDN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Resurrecting.

SDN can be your best friend and your worst enemy in the application process.

Members don't see this ad.

Learned that a 3.8+ GPA isn't really anything to brag about

Learned that a 3.8+ GPA is by no means a guarantee of acceptance to Med School

Learned that I'm not the only pre-med who is (albeit only slightly) jealous of 24 year old investment bankers who make billions of dollars per year doing something that looks so easy (compared to brain surgery that is). Not to mention the fact that they can't lose because the taxpayers will bail them out with $700,000,000,000 if they do. (that's more Benjamins than the speed of light has m/s!!)

Learned that applying late will screw you over

Learned that in 10 years there will be thousands of doctors to treat cancer and read X-Rays but no one to give you a check up (no primary care)

Learned that applying to 20+ schools isn't considered particularly obsessive

Learned that premeds have similar mentalities throughout the whole nation (not only Californian premeds are "gunners").

Last edited:
I just recently learned about "second look" days. I had no idea that they existed and am happy to learn that they do!

Members don't see this ad :)
There are many neurotic pre-meds.

Yes I second this one if we are being serious. I learned that I'm not alone in my paranoia and fears and that everyone even the best of the best i.e. 40+ MCAT score kind of people have the same fears as me.

I learned that it is much easier to talk to those who share those fears and paranoias then someone who really has no clue how this process works.

I learned the existence of interview feedback which has to be one of the best inventions ever.

I think these are the 2 main things for me. The other stuff is stuff I might have learned both on here and in real life through interactions with others.

Resurrecting.

SDN can be your best friend and your worst enemy in the application process.

No truer words have ever been spoken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But in the end what would I do without my fav. addiction to get me through. LOL!!! The other day when SDN was down for like 1 or 2 day I was completely bored out of my mind without people to chat to.

Oh that reminds me. I learned to network with people I've never met in real life though seen through facebook and met several SDN posters who were in my school or near the area or eventually came to the area but who I would have never known if not for SDN.

So I guess i learned networking and its a wonderful thing my friends. :)

Everything I know. I'm so thankful for this forum. Granted I did my own research before I found SDN, but it's been an enormous help.

Ditto to almost everything said on here. Also, I learned about audio osmosis, which I used and loved! Learning about biology while you are biking is good stuff.

Also, I learned that interviews are super important..which is kind of worrisome to me. I also learned that there are a lot of candidates out there who are getting more interviews than I am =(. Humble pie can be tasty?

Most of all, I think people use this place to get support for their own opinions. Sometimes making decisions is scary and people need their thoughts validated by others.

Thank you everyone for your advice, questions, and stories. You have been a great distraction for me.

Basically, that every single pre-med is going through the EXACT SAME THING I am. Very reassuring. I think I'd be freaking out way worse had I not found this.

I have learned so much. Something that stands out to me though, is the sheer knowledge base.

I have learned that if I have a question about anything in the medical-school realm, chances are that it has already been answered on SDN. On the off chance that it hasn't, simply asking will often get you an answer, but beware, do your research first! Because if you don't, and your answer can easily be found using the search function, or worse yet if its sitting on the second page, you will be flamed to the ends of the earth!

The whole "your major doesn't matter" was a major revelation for me.

It's also been a great way to see where the bar really is. I would have thought that a 3.5 GPA and a few thrown in extracurriculars would make me a solid applicant but I've now seen the horror that is a true competitive applicant. Holy crap.

I'd also be a virtual ******* as far as the admissions process goes if not for this. How do other people do it?