help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackichen007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm kind of freaking out right now.
I am taking Step 1 on June 30th, so as of right now I approx. have 2 weeks left.

Due to my stupidity, I haven't been doing as many questions as I should have...the only productive thing is that I've been keeping up with my schedule and reviewing mainly First Aid, and supplementing with Step Up, Brs Path/Phys...

I'm getting really worried. I know I shouldn't even be writing this post and continue start doing more questions on USMLE World, but,

What do you guys recommend me doing right now?

Doing more questions (until I finish the question bank)? Just keep reading mainly First Aid?

I really need to just do questions, I guess. I'm getting my ass kicked and I feel like I can't even get a 185 at this rate. :(

Members don't see this ad.

FA in the am. uworld in the pm. it's worked like a charm for me. set aside 2 hrs for every set of 48 uworld questions. 1 hour for the test and 1 hr (this is conservative) to break them down. write it down somewhere!

I agree with the above poster. Just try and stick to your study schedule as best you can while working on as many problems as you can each day (maybe 1-2 blocks per day). Going over your mistakes is just as important as doing questions, so make sure you don't short change yourself there. You don't have to finish all of the questions in your qbank... just get through as much as you can from now until test day and you'll be ok. Good luck!

Are you able to take an NBME at this point? Sounds like you really need to know where you stand. If you have been consistently reviewing from review books, it's ok that you haven't been doing as many questions as you "should." Reading and questions are both important as a part of your studying. And how many questions have you actually been doing? As long as you've been doing some to get your test taking skills in shape, I think there's no reason to freak out. There's no need to finish USMLE World - just do questions at a pace that works for you.

Questions are just part of the process of reviewing - not the most important part by any means. My plan was similar to BrisketAttack's - I did questions in the morning, and reviewing in the afternoon. Depending on the day I would do between 50 and 100 questions (last year, when blocks were 50), taking 1 hour per block and about 1 hour to review the answers. I studied for 3 weeks and only got through 50% of USMLE World, and I came out very well. Some people here really go nuts with the questions - completing all of UW and Kaplan, but you have to realize that most of those people are starting during 2nd year, not just during 4 weeks of dedicated boards studying. There is no prize for finishing more Qbanks; there is no guarantee it will make any difference in your score. The point of questions is just to learn and practice.

You have to take into account learning style, too. If you do very well with reading from review books, you might not need questions as much. For some people, sitting down and reading is a lot harder than the more active process of doing questions, but that might not be true for you.

:luck:

Thanks guys! this makes me feel a little better! I still feel a bit uneasy not doing as many questions as I should have, but there is no point in worrying about it now!

I just gotta get down to being a gunner for the next 2 weeks and really go at it with questions and reviewing them!

Are you able to take an NBME at this point? Sounds like you really need to know where you stand.

At the end of 2nd year our school required that I take an NBME exam. I did really badly on it (I didn't really prepare for it and just took it with a "whatever" mindset), and I'm planning to take another one this Sunday. We'll see how it goes from there!

Hopefully the next 2 weeks will be sufficient review for me!!