Step I Will a decent step 1 score help an MD/PhD when applying to residency in 2026?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ongogablogian

The Art Collector
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am an MD/PhD student in the last year of my PhD phase. I took step 1 just before it switched to pass-fail. I worked really hard and was able to get a score over 260. I am wondering if this would still turn some heads from residency directors even though the pass-fail system has been in place for a while now? I would prefer to hear from faculty and residency admins specifically. I know I will still work hard to do well on Step 2 and the Step 1 score won’t carry nearly as much weight as it previously did, but it would be nice to get a little bump in my application from all that hard work. This MD/PhD track has got me feeling OLD.