2008-2009 Boston Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
3. Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be part of particular interest to us. For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section. (2000 character limit, approximately 400 words)

Plus the usual about LORs and stuff

VI. Optional Section
Most applicants apply to many medical schools and we are aware that the cumulative work of the application process is substantial. Furthermore, we find that for most applicants, an extra essay written expressly for Boston University adds little to the information content of the portfolio. We have, therefore, decided to eliminate our request for a supplemental essay.

While we no longer require an essay, we find that some applicants feel that additional information is necessary in order to provide us with a comprehensive understanding of their strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. If you wish to use the space below to offer an essay or any other information, up to a total of 500 words, addressing any issue you feel is of importance, feel free to do so. If you choose to use the space, please do not duplicate information provided elsewhere in this supplemental application or in material you have submitted to AMCAS. Use this optional section only if you believe that the additional information will help us to learn something about you as a person, to get a sense of who you are and what you are about, beyond the basic facts of your academic work and your life history as it is otherwise available to us.

Please be assured that we offer this opportunity only for those applicants who wish to provide additional information and that it is entirely optional. For most applicants, no supplementary material will be necessary and this space can be left blank.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have any questions about BU, feel free to ask me, I'll be attending starting in August.

well thank god its only 2000 characters eh? haha not like georgetown's monstrous 5000... still havent gotten the invite tho. did they email the invite?

Members don't see this ad :)
well thank god its only 2000 characters eh? haha not like georgetown's monstrous 5000... still havent gotten the invite tho. did they email the invite?
Yes they did last night, and I got another instructional email this morning.

For the LoR list, I am assuming this will update when they get a confirmation from AMCAS as to who your recommenders are, but what if we are using a letter packet? The letter packet is listed on AMCAS as a single "committee" letter, but in reality is 5 individual letters. Do I tell them my school does not have a committee, even though it appears to have one according to AMCAS?

Last edited:
Yes they did last night, and I got another instructional email this morning.

Hmmm thats interesting. I didnt' get one either. I thought boston was one of those schools that didnt' screen.

I just got mine. It would seem that they're sending them in waves.

Haven't gotten mine yet either... they must be doing it in waves.

I'm trying to think of what I am going to write for this educational timeline question...

Didn't get one either... weird

Don't worry guys...U all will get one probably by monday. I already submitted mine but dannnnng.......it's a pretty long application to work on....particularly the prerequisite Grid...I attended UCSD, which is a quarter system school...basically I have to describe how I fill out that prerequisite in detail (regarding how I convert my quarter units to semester units)...kinda sux...and for me...there were three essays...I gotta write an additional one to explain what I did if I did not enter medical school directly...crazy mama long application...Have fun guys :oops:

Is anyone having trouble uploading a picture? Every time I click the upload button, it says my picture was not saved. Any advice?

Is anyone having trouble uploading a picture? Every time I click the upload button, it says my picture was not saved. Any advice?

I had trouble at first, but I just re-opened the application in a new browser window and had no problems with it. As another note - make sure your photo is square. If it isn't, it's going to end up looking stretched out.

Members don't see this ad :)
if i have a very very low mcat and am retaking, BU will hold off in reviewing until the second scores are in correct? Also, how does the secondary process work? they will still give everyone a secondary even if the first mcat is very low? if i dont mee the cutoff, they will stil send a secondary correct? and if so, they will put my app on hold once i submit secondary until second mcat scores are in in august?

if i have a very very low mcat and am retaking, BU will hold off in reviewing until the second scores are in correct? Also, how does the secondary process work? they will still give everyone a secondary even if the first mcat is very low? if i dont mee the cutoff, they will stil send a secondary correct? and if so, they will put my app on hold once i submit secondary until second mcat scores are in in august?

BU does not screen for secondaries and they will send them to everyone. If you are retaking MCAT in august, your file will not be complete at any school until your second scores come in. Still, I believe that all schools that don't screen will send you secondaries, even though your second scores are not in.

Got it. Thanks. Apparently, the BU website is not Safari friendly. Seems to work a lil better with Firefox. (I think it says this somewhere on the webpage)

Bla. still haven't gotten mine. I'm almost out of secondaries to work on after I finish Chicago's, JHU's, and Washington's. Theres so many essays to write ahh

Got it. Thanks. Apparently, the BU website is not Safari friendly. Seems to work a lil better with Firefox. (I think it says this somewhere on the webpage)

It works fine with me on Safari. Just use their website.

why didnt they just send them all out at once?

If they do sent it out in tiers.

I wonder if anyone who didn't get theirs yet is considered the bottom of the batch.

It doesn't seem to be by order of verification, and probably not alphabetical.

If they do sent it out in tiers.

I wonder if anyone who didn't get theirs yet is considered the bottom of the batch.

It doesn't seem to be by order of verification, and probably not alphabetical.

I doubt that it's by tiers. I was verified yesterday, got their invite same day, and I have a piss poor gpa. If it is by tiers, then they're doing the lowest tiers first. ;)

I doubt that it's by tiers. I was verified yesterday, got their invite same day, and I have a piss poor gpa. If it is by tiers, then they're doing the lowest tiers first. ;)

Wtf, I was verified on June 5th and still haven't received their secondary...

Who knows? Maybe they had a computer/database error like GWU. :shrug:

Agreed....there are many similarities....those who were verified very early are not receiving sec.s and those who aren't yet verified or just got verified already received sec.s

Wtf, I was verified on June 5th and still haven't received their secondary...

I would imagine that getting verified any time before June 24th is probably equivalent to the medical schools, so getting verified early might not matter. The order of people that they're sending the secondary to is probably pretty arbitrary.

Someone may want to email them so they know about the problems... I already submitted my BU secondary...

Someone may want to email them so they know about the problems... I already submitted my BU secondary...

Agreed

were you verified recently? just wondering b/c with GW they had problems accessing the early apps. verified by AMCAS not the later ones....it took like a week or two to fix the problem

ok so I just called BU and the lady pretty much blew me off,
she said, "well this is the first that I've heard of this, sooooo" and then she left me hanging and I said, "Well is there a way you could possibly look into it or something?" and she said "well they are pretty much sent out arbitrarily sooo" and then I decided this conversation was useless......

maybe other people should call or send emails so they actually believe us...or we could just wait it out indefinitely

Agreed

were you verified recently? just wondering b/c with GW they had problems accessing the early apps. verified by AMCAS not the later ones....it took like a week or two to fix the problem
I was verified on June 5th... so no.

I don't remember this problem happening last year, so I would suggest that a couple of people call and explain the problem, so that they get that it's not just one person. Sometimes, the secretaries aren't the nicest people at BU...but this is the busiest time for admissions, trying to get this year's class all figured out, especially since we have more people committed than BU thought, and starting to receive secondaries.

But I didn't have any problems with GW either...

Seems like you may have a one up on the rest of us then :)

I got GW's waaaaayyy after it started coming out....maybe I will always be in the end section of that "arbitrary" pile or something

To MD applicants who have not received the BU secondary (I'm one of them as well),

Below is the email that I got recently from the admissions office on why some of us do not have the secondary yet. Hopefully they'll be sending it out to the rest of us soon.

"Dear ______,

We just started sending out links to our secondary application on Thursday, July 3rd. We are sending them out in increments, to be sure that our application does not have any technical glitches. We hope to begin sending out the information in larger batches this week.

Thank you for your continued patience.

Sincerely,

Katie Basilotto
Admissions Administrator
Boston University School of Medicine
Office of Admissions
715 Albany Street, L124
Boston, MA 02118"

I guess the rest of us just have to wait.

ok so I just called BU and the lady pretty much blew me off,
she said, "well this is the first that I've heard of this, sooooo" and then she left me hanging and I said, "Well is there a way you could possibly look into it or something?" and she said "well they are pretty much sent out arbitrarily sooo" and then I decided this conversation was useless......

maybe other people should call or send emails so they actually believe us...or we could just wait it out indefinitely

That lady sounds a lot like Penelope from Saturday Night Live.

I've already had to fill that pre-req grid multiple times due to "technical glitches." I advise doing all the comments through Word first, then copying/pasting...

Under the pre-req grid where it says number of hours in the preferred institution only refer to classroom hours, not laboratory hours...classroom hours = lecture hours? So whatever is in the first column, if it is from a "preferred institution"?

So, are both BU essays optional?

They both say its not necessary to write anything.

So, are both BU essays optional?

They both say its not necessary to write anything.

That's right. My advisor on the ADCOM at BU said it's perfectly OK to leave them blank.

Can someone help me out with the LOR section? I can't seem to edit that box that appears indicating that I am sending a comittee letter.

Can someone help me out with the LOR section? I can't seem to edit that box that appears indicating that I am sending a comittee letter.

I think I am having the same problem. The box for "I am sending the following LoRs" is blank for me and cant be edited. Is it retrieved from AMCAS upon verification (I am not verified yet)?

Just got Boston's secondary! 10 seconds ago.. phew

Oh man, the prerequisite grid is so confusing... Composition/Literature vs Humanities .. huh?

Does anyone have their letters status marked as received? My letter writers names show up but they are not marked as received on BU's secondary.

They have been uploaded to AMCAS since June 24th....

Hey guys,

Just wondering if I could send/finalize in the secondary without having the LOR section complete? Should have letters sent to AMCAS by the end of this month...Is it better to wait until they finally receive the LORs?

Thanks.

Right there with ya....:laugh:

Same here, haven't heard from BU yet, was verified mid-June. I'm not overly concerned, but I have the app mostly complete, given what was posted on SDN...would just really like to send it in ASAP as this is in my Top 5.

Are other students also waiting, despite being verified by AMCAS mid-June? Thanks so much.

my AMCAS was verified mid june as well...and I haven't received my BU secondary

can anyone post up the essay questions for the secondary so I can prepare ahead of time? must appreciated...

also...should i submit completed secondaries in even before sending in my references?

my AMCAS was verified mid june as well...and I haven't received my BU secondary

can anyone post up the essay questions for the secondary so I can prepare ahead of time? must appreciated...

also...should i submit completed secondaries in even before sending in my references?
That info is in the VERY first post of this thread.

Did any of you guys complete the optional essays? I am struggling to come up with something for the timeline essay - I want to highlight my "advanced" training in the arts (piano, voice, dance, and theatre), but I can't figure out how to list my theatrical resume in a "narrative" format. I'm considering just leaving it blank, but it's just so hard for me to do that!

For the other supplemental essay, I'm considering writing about why I want to go to Boston University, which shouldn't be so difficult since almost every secondary asks that question anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.