Strong EM residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KBCoch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Browsing through this forum, I've seen people refer to schools with strong EM residencies. I'm currently deciding on med schools to attend and am wondering about their residency programs for EM. Can anyone throw me some names of schools that are known for strong EM residencies? I know that schools are probably strong for different reasons, and it depends on what the applicant is looking for, but I'm just wondering what your general opinions are.

Much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

These questions can be very slanted. There is no single "best program". The best program is whatever program you fit in best from a personal, professional, geographic, educational, social, etc. aspect. What is "best" for one person may not be the right "match" for someone else.

I will say that there are many good residencies out there (let's face it, if a program did not meet the needs, it would not be receive approval to function).

With that being said, I will say this with caution; however, one of the medical schools with a lot of emergency medicine residency connections is Wayne State University in Detroit, MI. They have two residency programs that are directly affiliated with WSU (Detroit Receiving and Sinai-Grace). In addition, I think that the Chair of Emergency Medicine at WSU also kind of oversees the residencies at St. John Hospital (Detroit) and Beaumont Hospital(Royal Oak). Furthermore, I believe that the students at WSU also can easily rotate through Henry Ford Hospital (Detroit). So, in a sense, students have 5 different residency programs from which to choose to do some clinical time. Also, there are some very well respected emergency medicine physicians affiliated with WSU.

I agree with EMIMG, don't base your decision on which medical school to attend on a residency program which you may or may not be interested in in four years. It's more important to decide which of your choices feels most comfortable to you as every school has a different culture etc... You'll be better off in the long run if you enjoy the next four years as much as you possibly can. Then concentrate on doing as well as you possibly can. If you have a couple of places that seem okay go with the one that has a EM residency program. As EMIMG says they are all "good". Then in your 4th year you can always do a rotation or two at programs that seem appealing if you're still interested in EM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate your replies, and I realize that there is no one "best" residency. It all depends on what I am looking for at the time (if I'm even still looking at EM). I don't intend to base my decision for medical school on EM residencies. I was simply curious to know what these "strong" residencies were that people were referring to and if any or all of my possible choices were "strong" for EM. It certainly wouldn't be a deciding factor, but interesting information to know. I noticed the thread about malignant programs, so I assumed that there must be particularly strong programs on the other end of the spectrum.

Any opinions?

Again, much appreciated.

It seems that everyone has their own version of the top 5 etc... Some programs that are mentioned pretty consistently are...
Cinncinnati, Pittsburgh, Carolinas, Christiana Care, UCLA-Harbor, UC Davis, Denver.
Some of the programs that are considered "malignant" are also very strong programs. USC-LACounty is one that comes to mind.

Again, there is no official, structured ranking system. This list is 100% opinion and I'm sure that if anyone else responds, their list will be different.

As mentioned previously, there is much more to residency selection than reputation....few would argue that any on my list are not strong, although there are probably a fair number that aren't on my list that should be. That disclaimer said:
U of Pittsburgh, UCLA-Harbor, UC-Davis, U of Arizona, Hennepin County, Ohio State, Indianapolis, Vanderbilt, Cincinnati, Denver, Emory, UNC, Carolinas and others.

A better answer to your question of course is to go to medical school wherever you want, provided it is in the US, and where it is cheap. I went to a med school without an EM residency, and I've got more interviews than I know what to do with.

When I first read this thread I thought ?Just go to med school. Worry about residency later.? But then it occurred to me how important it is to have a mentor and some faculty to write your letters when the time comes. It?s also nice to have faculty that you can do research with in EM. I was lucky that even though I didn?t consider this ahead of time my med school?s EM residency really got rolling by the time I needed it. I?d have to say it?s not fair but students at strong EM centers probably do have a leg up due to these issues.
As for which programs are the powerhouses I?d agree with all those mentioned so far.
docB

Read Ken Iserson's book "Getting Into A Residency" now, as an M1. That will introduce you to getting a mentor, laying the groundwork, and everything that will have you golden by the time you apply to residency. The advice is invaluable.

Thanks so much, everyone. This info has been interesting and helpful. The advice of veterans in invaluable. I will try to pick up that book.

Best of luck in your respective residencies.