2008-2009 Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) Secondary Application Thre

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The secondary and online form is found here:
http://www.musc.edu/em/admissions

These are the materials you get after your online forms and payment are sent in:
http://www.musc.edu/es/app_pdf/MD_MD.pdf

If you are in-state, there are some forms for you. If you are out of state, you only need to do "Close Ties".

Members don't see this ad.

How are you guys addressing the close ties part of the application (if you are OOS)? Like, an essay? Or just a description?

I was OOS last year and tried to get "close ties" status. I made it a letter to the admissions committee and just outlined why I thought I qualified. For me, it was that I worked at MUSC and would have lived in the state 14 months at time of admission. I am still on the OOS waiting list, but I am applying as in state this year. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was OOS last year and tried to get "close ties" status. I made it a letter to the admissions committee and just outlined why I thought I qualified. For me, it was that I worked at MUSC and would have lived in the state 14 months at time of admission. I am still on the OOS waiting list, but I am applying as in state this year. Good luck!
Thanks for the info. Good luck to you too!

Just saw that you guys have started an MUSC group and wanted to say goodluck! I'll be an MS1 this year, so I am fresh off the application process.

If you guys need any advice or suggestions, I went to school here in Charleston (CofC) and have lived here for 5 years, so just let me know or PM me. And again, goodluck!

Well this poor thread has gotten the least action out of any of the secondary threads.

Is no one else applying here? I guess that means more spaces for us! Anyone heard anything about interviews, etc? I submitted everything but my new MCAT won't be uploaded until August 19th, so I am waiting (rather impatiently!)

Good luck to anyone applying to MUSC!

im an sc resident and will be applying, but i havent even sent in my amcas yet, so you dont have to worry about me

I'm not a resident - I used to be though. Heres to hoping that Close Ties is for real, because without it I am screwed!

good luck to you. im a resident but am applying ridiculously late according to SDN (hopefully by august 1st) so were prob in the same boat.

I think you will be fine. I applied OOS last year, with the Close ties, and I wasn't complete until the end of December! I got an interview and am on the OOS waiting list. Hopefully being instate and EDP will help this year! Good luck!

oh ur doing EDP? thats awesome, i was strongly considering it, but i signed up for a late mcat (mid-July), so i just decided to just go for the normal path. I am pretty sure qualified EDPers have like 40% success rate first time around. rock the interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
No essays. Unless you are OOS and have to describe your ties to the state.

Do some schools send out secondaries immediately after you submit AMCAS (instead of until after verification)? If so, is MUSC one of these schools?

Do some schools send out secondaries immediately after you submit AMCAS (instead of until after verification)? If so, is MUSC one of these schools?

Some schools do. MUSC is a little slow on the uptake. I was verified back in June and I know they got my AMCAS on June 24th, but I didn't get the secondary until July 7th or something like that.

I actually just took the MCAT again last week (July 18th). I talked to the Director of Admissions and she said that I could still do EDP since they would get my scores August 19th and that would still give them 1.5 months for interview and decision.

Anyways, good luck! Let me know if you have any questions or anything... since I already did this last year! :rolleyes:

Can I still apply to EDP, if i submit AMCAS by July 31st and my MCAT scores are up mid-August??? I need help

Can I still apply to EDP, if i submit AMCAS by July 31st and my MCAT scores are up mid-August??? I need help

I would think so... you better submit AMCAS TODAY!!! Call either Wanda Taylor or Joan Graesch (I can get you their #s if you need, or you can search in the MUSC directory from the homepage). Wanda told me that as long as I took the MCAT by July 18th, I would be ok for EDP. Just make a few phone calls... they are really great here and very friendly. Let me know if you have any other questions.

thanks for the reply. yeah i called both yesterday and neither picked up. so, i decided to just go the normal route, since my personal statement is still garbage right now. hopefully my mcat scores turn out well bc ive been apparently suckin at this applyin process so far

i think im regretting now applyin early...its pretty much my #1

i had a question for sc residents; does being from sc increase admission chances to other schools since it doesnt seem like sc gets as many med school applicants as other states?

i think im regretting not applyin early...its pretty much my #1

i had a question for sc residents; does being from sc increase admission chances to other schools since it doesnt seem like sc gets as many med school applicants as other states?

i think im regretting not applyin early...its pretty much my #1

Well.. I applied Early and still don't have an interview date set up (eek!). I am hoping they are just waiting on my MCAT score, though.

I don't think being from SC gives you a better chance at getting in at other schools. I think the fact that about 40% of SC med school applicants get into each SC med school has something to do with it... those odds are really high! Since there is such a good chance of getting in, compared to other states (NC for example: 10% chance of getting into UNC if you're instate), I doubt we would get any advantages. I could be wrong, though.

Anyone heard from MUSC re: interviews yet?

MILK07 - as of today on my application status page, they have logged everything (supplimental, demo sheet, three LOR's), but I haven't heard anything from them about interviews. If they have to notify EDP's by October, shouldn't invites or relevant information be going out by now? :scared:

There's a thread for interview info on MUSC and the earliest date posted for interviews seemed like the second week of September, but that may not be reflective of when the first interviews take place. How soon is too soon to start calling? :p Only mildly kidding...

Well.. I applied Early and still don't have an interview date set up (eek!). I am hoping they are just waiting on my MCAT score, though.

I don't think being from SC gives you a better chance at getting in at other schools. I think the fact that about 40% of SC med school applicants get into each SC med school has something to do with it... those odds are really high! Since there is such a good chance of getting in, compared to other states (NC for example: 10% chance of getting into UNC if you're instate), I doubt we would get any advantages. I could be wrong, though.

Anyone heard from MUSC re: interviews yet?

My page has been updated for a week or so now, although they are still waiting on my July 19th MCAT scores to come out next week. I am pretty sure someone told me that interviews were in September, and the committee met the last week of September to make decisions, or something like that. I am hoping to get a call late next week or maybe early the week after to set up the interview, but who knows! I think I have already harassed Joan enough with all my questions!

I would say if you hadn't heard anything by the end of next week, to call. But if you want to go ahead and call earlier, I would love the info!!!

Do you live in Charleston? Maybe I will see you when we interview! I am so glad we will know one way or the other by October 1st. I am STILL on the waiting list for this year. Orientation was today, so I'm hoping someone didn't show up and they want me on Monday! :p

Keep me updated on what you hear, etc. I will, too! Good luck!

I'm not a resident - I used to be though. Heres to hoping that Close Ties is for real, because without it I am screwed!

The close ties part really is for real. I believe that it was the year before last that they proudly proclaimed that all students were either from SC, or had close ties to the state. It is an objective, as a state school, to train physicians who are likely to remain there to serve the residents of the state.

My page has been updated for a week or so now, although they are still waiting on my July 19th MCAT scores to come out next week. I am pretty sure someone told me that interviews were in September, and the committee met the last week of September to make decisions, or something like that. I am hoping to get a call late next week or maybe early the week after to set up the interview, but who knows! I think I have already harassed Joan enough with all my questions!

I would say if you hadn't heard anything by the end of next week, to call. But if you want to go ahead and call earlier, I would love the info!!!

Do you live in Charleston? Maybe I will see you when we interview! I am so glad we will know one way or the other by October 1st. I am STILL on the waiting list for this year. Orientation was today, so I'm hoping someone didn't show up and they want me on Monday! :p

Keep me updated on what you hear, etc. I will, too! Good luck!

I think you're right about the September thing. I had heard the AdCom meets the last Tuesday of every month to make the decisions, but I don't know if there's an exception for the EDP. That's a lot of apps to go through in one day....

Regarding the waitlist, never say never. I've heard some crazy :scared: stories about slots opening up right before classes begin. Here's to hoping for you. :luck:

If I don't hear anything by a week from Monday, I'll be calling Joan. I really hope that won't be the case. Stalking isn't attractive. Who knows - I may call earlier in a moment of weakness. Hopefully they'll beat me to it. I'll post any new news.

I'm pretty stoked about the idea of knowing one way or the other by October 1st. Just gotta get that darn interview! I know a lot of people are anti-EDP, but I think it's great. :D

It's funny to think other SDN-ers might be in your interview group. So much for annonymity. And yes, I am in Charleston. There goes some of mine...

- Harry C

ignore this, im doing administrative stuff

Whats up everybody!

I just added MUSC to my app because I was looking for more schools in my area (I'm from GA). Oh and I love Charleston.

Question, how does the secondary work? Do you just create an account, log in and submit, or do you wait to be invited by email or something?

Also, do I have absolutely NO chance as OOS with no close ties? Ive got a balanced 33 and around a 3.7.

Thanks for any info, good luck to all

bumping my questions :thumbup:

Well, I went to talk with them last year since I was OOS. They have a formula that they plug your GPA and MCAT into and then decide who gets interviews.

If I remember correctly, you had to have somewhere around a 3.6/36. With a higher GPA, you can have a lower MCAT or vice versa. The close ties thing makes a big difference.

Basically they take everyone's numbers, plug them into the formula, and then have cut-offs for IS, Close-ties, and OOS. I made the close-ties cut off last year, but not the OOS. I wish I could remember that formula. Also, they take into account inflation at your school. Since my school had no inflation, they added about 0.3 to my GPA so it was comparable to other schools with more inflation. There is a book with a listing for each school and how much they add, if at all.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you! I don't think they start giving out OOS interviews until November, so be patient!:D

well crap, I may have just wasted about $100, but who knows, maybe my GPA will get a bump.

Thanks for the info

Well, I went to talk with them last year since I was OOS. They have a formula that they plug your GPA and MCAT into and then decide who gets interviews.

If I remember correctly, you had to have somewhere around a 3.6/36. With a higher GPA, you can have a lower MCAT or vice versa. The close ties thing makes a big difference.

Basically they take everyone's numbers, plug them into the formula, and then have cut-offs for IS, Close-ties, and OOS. I made the close-ties cut off last year, but not the OOS. I wish I could remember that formula. Also, they take into account inflation at your school. Since my school had no inflation, they added about 0.3 to my GPA so it was comparable to other schools with more inflation. There is a book with a listing for each school and how much they add, if at all.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you! I don't think they start giving out OOS interviews until November, so be patient!:D

I would totally kill to see that book. Interesting that they quantify GPAs that way. I like it.

I would totally kill to see that book. Interesting that they quantify GPAs that way. I like it.

I know... I was sitting in her office and she just pulled it out, looked up my school, and adjusted my GPA.

I thought about grabbing it and running.

Just wanted to let anyone interested know that I was marked complete yesterday and got an email about my interview invite today!! Interviewing mid-September.

Good luck everyone!

Just wanted to let anyone interested know that I was marked complete yesterday and got an email about my interview invite today!! Interviewing mid-September.

Good luck everyone!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :claps: That's awesome!

Good luck everyone!

I just got home from work and checked my email only to find one from Joan waiting patiently in the In-Box. I got an interview mid-September, too! Time to dust of that suit...

Has anyone else heard?

I just got home from work and checked my email only to find one from Joan waiting patiently in the In-Box. I got an interview mid-September, too! Time to dust of that suit...

Has anyone else heard?

So exciting!!! I bet we were originally scheduled for the same day but I had to reschedule because I will be out of town on vacation for a week!

Congrats!!! :hardy:

I know... I was sitting in her office and she just pulled it out, looked up my school, and adjusted my GPA.

I thought about grabbing it and running.

Haha... so did you have to bring it up? Do they automatically do this for all OOS applicants (look them up in the book I mean?)

If you don't mind my asking, where did you go to undergrad? PM? I totally understand if you dont want to answer that.

cheers

I am not sure what the criteria is but I have a 3.6 and a 29, also I am coming from a branch of USC, so my profs must have written awesome lor's. My point is that it is not all about numbers and how much you paid for your under grad. Forget anonymity who is going to be there on the 12th of September. I am a girl named Bobbi I can't wait to have lunch with you.:hardy::D:) Loving life!!!!

I am not sure what the criteria is but I have a 3.6 and a 29, also I am coming from a branch of USC, so my profs must have written awesome lor's. My point is that it is not all about numbers and how much you paid for your under grad. Forget anonymity who is going to be there on the 12th of September. I am a girl named Bobbi I can't wait to have lunch with you.:hardy::D:) Loving life!!!!

Congrats!!! I am loving life also. I was supposed to be there on the 12th, but I had to change it because I will be out of town that week. I went to a public undergrad as well and have 3.4/31. I agree that it's not all about numbers.

I wish I could be there on the 12th to meet you! We should have some sort of celebratory meeting once we all get in (there's my hopeful optimism shining through!).

Anyone else hear from Joan this week? There has to be more MUSC applicants out there!

.Hi everyone!
I'm currently a nursing student in SC, and yes I've finally made that mental leap to go for Medical school. Before anyone comments - I know that earning a B.S.N. first is not the most highly suggested route, but its what I'm doing, and I have my reasons.
Alas, my heart is set on MUSC. So for those of you already into your secondary apps and interviews, I have a question! Did any of you take additional classes from a technical college, and do you feel that those classes contributed to your application or made no difference because of where they were taken? I keep reading that many universities are not fond of CC classes, and some do not like to count them at all.

Thanks for any input!

Charleston990: Can you give us some more info? Are all your classes at a CC? I didn't think you could get a BSN from a CC, so I am a little confused.

Everyone else, you should add your name to the interview invite thread! I am feeling lonely there...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=544567

Any other news? I have my interview with the community physician in 7 days!

Hi Milk 07,
I will gladly post on the musc invite thread but the link you put took me to the gigantic general invite thread. Do you have a link for the one more specific ( if one exist)?? Are there more of us out there?

i just added a few schools to my list, including MUSC. im pretty excited and cant wait to get this secondary out of the way.

Last edited:
Hi Milk 07,
I will gladly post on the musc invite thread but the link you put took me to the gigantic general invite thread. Do you have a link for the one more specific ( if one exist)?? Are there more of us out there?

Here is the link to a more specific one with schools from M-T. You can post there. I am sure there are more people out there... We just need to find them!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=559464

Hi everyone. Re-applyer here (applied really late to MUSC last cycle). I'm going for EDP this time around. Just got my interview cancelled (was supposed to be Friday 9/5) due to Hurricane/Tropical Storm Hanna. Maybe I'll see some of you at the interviews. I should be rescheduled for later on in Sept since they have to finish all EDP before Oct 1. See you there!

Submitted. Now more waiting...sigh.

To Charleston990: I think the BSN thing is fine. You'll be able to work and make a little money on breaks and until class starts. I've been a PA for 8 years and for me, the time is right to move on to med school. I don't regret my time as a PA at all--if anything it's reinforced to me that medicine is the only career I'm really passionate about.

I wish you luck.

Lisa

I just sent you a PM.

Here is the link to a more specific one with schools from M-T. You can post there. I am sure there are more people out there... We just need to find them!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=559464

Thank you for the link. I just posted. The admissions staff was so friendly and really encouraged everyone to "exhale." They really made you feel like they wanted you to be there. Harold Crick thanks for the personal message. If anyone else was there 9/12 send me a personal message and tell me what you were wearing. I am sooo much more in love with MUSC, that I am waiting to send in my other secondary. MUSC or bust! Charleston Rocks!!:love::hardy:

UniDemo: Glad you had such a great day and that MUSC is your first choice. I was supposed to interview on the 12th but had to reschedule for the 19th. I am getting very excited about Friday!!! Only a couple more weeks until October 1st... Fingers crossed for everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.