Feedback for Crack PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoangDDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just want to get an idea of what to expect for the real thing if my scores are as follows:

TEST 1 2 3 4
KEY 12 11 14 14
TFE 12 13 15 14
ANG 8 8 10 4
HOL 7 9 9 8
CC 12 13 12 12
PAT 10 11 9 10

overall 18 19 19 18

hopefully I crack 20 tomorrow. Just when I thought I was getting the hang of doing angles I got hit with a 4 :confused: . I guess I just need more practice. Oh and those damn illusions on the cube counting are killing me! I usually get it all, except one figure was totally wrong.

On all kaplan's midterm, finals, and any other practice exams I've been averaging 22 on the PAT.

Any idea how this will translate on to the real DAT exam? I got about 6 more tests to improve my scores on. My goal is a 22 on the PAT section of the real exam.

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

Just want to get an idea of what to expect for the real thing if my scores are as follows:

TEST 1 2 3 4
KEY 12 11 14 14
TFE 12 13 15 14
ANG 8 8 10 4
HOL 7 9 9 8
CC 12 13 12 12
PAT 10 11 9 10

overall 18 19 19 18

hopefully I crack 20 tomorrow. Just when I thought I was getting the hang of doing angles I got hit with a 4 :confused: . I guess I just need more practice.

On all kaplan's midterm, finals, and any other practice exams I've been averaging 22 on the PAT.

Any idea how this will translate on to the real DAT exam? I got about 6 more tests to improve my scores on. My goal is a 22 on the PAT section of the real exam.

Any comments is appreciated. Thanks :D

Solid scores except for hole punching and angles, i would suggest changing your strategy for those a bit...like for angeles what i do and someone said this before and i tried it and it worked, just look at the interior angle and look at them as if they are noses haha pick the sharpest nose as the smallest and a big nose as the largest, try it it worked for me see if it will work for you

As for hole punching what i like to do is identify the folds first, then go from right to left and visualize where the holes will be for each fold...

Nice scores!

The only thing I am having trouble with at the moment is TFE. I am getting 10 and 11s on most test, but I am not sure how. I try to visual it and eliminate the wrong choices. Any suggestions on how to improve on the TFE? Also, how is the TFE on Crack vs the real DAT?

TEST 1 2 3 4
KEY 12 11 14 14
TFE 12 13 15 14
ANG 8 8 10 4
HOL 7 9 9 8
CC 12 13 12 12
PAT 10 11 9 10

overall 18 19 19 18

hopefully I crack 20 tomorrow. Just when I thought I was getting the hang of doing angles I got hit with a 4 :confused: . I guess I just need more practice. Oh and those damn illusions on the cube counting are killing me! I usually get it all, except one figure was totally wrong.

Pretty good scores. Expect your cubes to be a perfect 15 because they dont have any of those rediculous illusion questions. Your angles will be at like a 11 on the actual DAT because it is slightly easier than the Crack. TFE and Apeture are the same and both are reall easy. Hole punching is a drop easier and you should prob get a 10 there. That may be enough to get you a 22 but more likely a 21 or 20.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend Crack the PAT software to help you prepare the the DAT. I started scoring around 21 on the PAT and then averaged around 24. I know that the angle ranking section on this exam can be difficult, but it is the most realistic as compared to Kaplan's. I would recommend that you diversify your studying between both softwares to maximize your ability to score well on the real DAT. As for how it compared to the real DAT. I felt that the real DAT was a bit easier than crack the DAT, but other factors play a role in how you perform on the real exam that can affect how your perform. So I would recommend that you practice using the software after taking a practice natural science test to exemplify the actual exam conditions and the timing. However, don't expect any miracles on the actual DAT. If you are scoring as you you say you are, I would recommend practicing more before you take the actual DAT. Your score will not be very far from how you score on the practice exams. Good luck :)

For angles sometimes it helps if you tilt your head back a little, like increasing the distance between you and the computer screen. It will help you visualize the angles better, atleast for me it does! :D But that usually doesn't work for those 160 degree angles - I HATE THOSE :mad:

As for hole punching what i like to do is identify the folds first, then go from right to left and visualize where the holes will be for each fold...

Hey I appreciate the support man. So for hole punching you mean, make sure I understand the folds first. Then go backward and identify where the holes will be as I open it?

I think that is what I'm doing right now. Just some of the folds makes half holes and that kinda throw me off. Some people said that you can count layers to help with the hole punching. But I don't quite understand what that means. Please explain if anyone know what I'm talking about.

Nice scores!

The only thing I am having trouble with at the moment is TFE. I am getting 10 and 11s on most test, but I am not sure how. I try to visual it and eliminate the wrong choices. Any suggestions on how to improve on the TFE? Also, how is the TFE on Crack vs the real DAT?

For TFE, I think about it like this : # of horizontal lines on the top view = # of vertical lines on the end view. # horizontal lines on the end view = # of horizontal lines on the front view. # of vertical lines on the front view = # of veritcal lines on the top view. And when your choices comes down to 2 or 3, use your judgement and select the correct solid/ dashed lines at appropriate location.

Pretty good scores. Expect your cubes to be a perfect 15 because they dont have any of those rediculous illusion questions. Your angles will be at like a 11 on the actual DAT because it is slightly easier than the Crack. TFE and Apeture are the same and both are reall easy. Hole punching is a drop easier and you should prob get a 10 there. That may be enough to get you a 22 but more likely a 21 or 20.

Thanks Klutzy! You made me feel alot better about CC. I guess I just gotta work on angles and pattern folding now, since people said hoes punching won't be as bad as Crack.

I guess I should aim for a 24 if I want a 22 then =) .

Thanks everyone for the input. Good luck to everyone who will be taking their test soon!

TEST 1 2 3 4
KEY 12 11 14 14
TFE 12 13 15 14
ANG 8 8 10 4
HOL 7 9 9 8
CC 12 13 12 12
PAT 10 11 9 10

overall 18 19 19 18

Don't worry man. I told you I got 7/15 on the angles of the 4th test. The angles of the 4th test are HORRIBLE!!!

Don't worry man. I told you I got 7/15 on the angles of the 4th test. The angles of the 4th test are HORRIBLE!!!

haha, it's funny because the previous test I had a 10 on the angles so I thought I had the hang of it. As I was taking the 4th test on the angle sections-- I thought I was nailing them. Thinking this time i might be in the 10-12 range. and BAM!! 4 !!!:laugh:

I wouldn't worry at all. I didnt' hit 20's until test 6. Things seem to click after a while and you'll watch your score jump. At least thats what happened to me. Once I got hole punching down things improved. I just cross my fingers when it comes to angles.

For the whole punch I actually draw out the folds on laminated sheet (4x4 squares) and then go backwards putting down hole for the corresponding square. When I am done with all the folds, I have answer right on my sheet. I don't miss more than 1 hole punch on CDP.

For the whole punch I actually draw out the folds on laminated sheet (4x4 squares) and then go backwards putting down hole for the corresponding square. When I am done with all the folds, I have answer right on my sheet. I don't miss more than 1 hole punch on CDP.

Wow. That's a really good idea. How long does it take? I guess I should get some of those sheets to practice. Thanks for the tip.

Hey Hoang, I just took CRack test 5. I got a 20:D, pretty much delighted to get back to studying biology. I believe test 5 was a bit easier than the others though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Hoang, I just took CRack test 5. I got a 20:D, pretty much delighted to get back to studying biology. I believe test 5 was a bit easier than the others though.

Nice!! what was your score breakdown? I'll try test 5 later tonight and I'll hit you up to compares scores and strategies.

harry,

Yay!! 20 for you finally :D You should have let me have this section :mad: felt good to score higher than you in atleast 1 section :laugh:

Last edited:
takes me ~ 11-13 mins for CDP depending on the folds. The same strategy for kaplan takes me ~9-10 mins. The folds are crazy for CDP and I don't knwo how you can figure out all those hole punches in your mind. You really have to practice alot to get fast though! I honestly think hole punch is the easiest subject to improve in and easy to score 100% I love your t/f/e score...wish mine was like that :D

should i buy the $70 CRACK or the $100 CRACK???

is the extra 5 tests worth the $30? or is 5 good enough. i've already spent too much money for dat prep stuff! haha

The two sections I think are the toughest are angles, and TFE. There are always 1-2 TFE's that are crazy, on those tests. For me, the score really depended on how well I did on angles, b/c cc, keys, hole punching, and folding were usually consistent.

I have the royal flush edition and I don't want to wast going through all of the test right away to practice on. Any suggestions on material to use for practice other than the CPD? Also, Mstoothlady2012...can you explain what you are doing with the laminate sheets, not sure I understand. Sorry?

Its hard to explain in words...but let me try

Laminated sheets look like graph paper. First draw a square (4x4 small squares); each small square represents area where you can punch hole.

As you follow the folds on the screen draw those lines on your square. Then put the holes down like shown on the test. Then go backwards and erase/add holes as you need on that same square, mentally unfolding the paper. You can also erase those lines that you created on the square as you go backwards if it helps you! since at the end you have open square w/o any folds.

Reactions: 1 user
I use the same method for holes. Granted, it eats up a little time, but it always works. Since I started using it, I haven't scored less then 15/15 on CDP.

Finally after 2 days of starting this thread I hit up test 5. It was about 12:15am last night. My back and eyes were really tired of doing ochem all day and to top it off my crack pat is installed on my small ass 12.1 powerbook. Was not too excited to take this test but feel like i should do a bit of PAT exercises. Somehow, I got 76/90!! The breakdown:

KEY 14/15
TFE 14/15
ANGLES 8/15
HOLES 14/15 (thank you thank you thank you MS TOOTH LADY!!)
CUBE 15/15
PATTERN 11/15

76/90 , overall 21. :soexcited: (haha just found about the More button on the right)

If you check out the 1st thread, I was eating **** on crack pat holes. Mstoothy, told me about her method of using a grid to places Xs where the holes were punched and followed that through the folds, right to left. Some questions I didn't have to use that method, but for the ones that I did--It took longer but it was worth it!! Thanks again Ms.Tooth.

I tried to imagine angles were noses, but I guess I just need more practice or a BIGGER SCREEN!!!!!

I appreciate all the inputs, tips, and advices. Good Luck on the rest of your studies!:D

(I think i might be getting too carried away with these smile icons--I will try to stop :D--ahh!!)

Finally after 2 days of starting this thread I hit up test 5. It was about 12:15am last night. My back and eyes were really tired of doing ochem all day and to top it off my crack pat is installed on my small ass 12.1 powerbook. Was not too excited to take this test but feel like i should do a bit of PAT exercises. Somehow, I got 76/90!! The breakdown:

KEY 14/15
TFE 14/15
ANGLES 8/15
HOLES 14/15 (thank you thank you thank you MS TOOTH LADY!!)
CUBE 15/15
PATTERN 11/15

76/90 , overall 21. :soexcited: (haha just found about the More button on the right)

If you check out the 1st thread, I was eating **** on crack pat holes. Mstoothy, told me about her method of using a grid to places Xs where the holes were punched and followed that through the folds, right to left. Some questions I didn't have to use that method, but for the ones that I did--It took longer but it was worth it!! Thanks again Ms.Tooth.

I tried to imagine angles were noses, but I guess I just need more practice or a BIGGER SCREEN!!!!!

I appreciate all the inputs, tips, and advices. Good Luck on the rest of your studies!:D

(I think i might be getting too carried away with these smile icons--I will try to stop :D--ahh!!)

Nice job man! This is whats its all about. The angles as noses thing though.....I still don't see it.

You are welcome! someone else's posted that X thing...but I just put circles (holes) and go backwards. I can imagine you dancing like that icon lol:p Now try that other thing I said about angles...might work out for you!!! GL