Hi guys! I'm currently a UCLA student in my 4th year. I got my DAT score back finally but wasn't happy with the results. I have a strong GPA at a 3.98, and I want to go to ucla dental or ucsf. Should I retake the DAT?
Hi HungryHippo,
With your
strong GPA of 3.98, you’ve already shown that you can handle the academic rigor of dental school, which is a huge accomplishment. UCLA and UCSF are both very competitive programs, and your current DAT scores will make it difficult to be a strong applicant:
AA 460
TS 430
PAT 490
For schools like these, they usually look for an AA and TS well above the national average, often closer to the
500 to 540 range or higher on the new scoring scale.
A retake would definitely help strengthen your application and give you a much better chance of being considered. The good news is that with your strong academic record, you can focus on targeted DAT preparation and make real progress.
If you retake, try to give yourself
8 to 10 weeks of solid, consistent studying. Use resources that truly challenge you and are as close to the real exam as possible so you are not surprised on test day. Surround yourself with support, whether through a study group or online communities, to help keep you motivated.
You’ve already proven you can excel. Now it’s just about bringing those DAT scores up to match the level of your GPA. I know you can do this, and I wish you the very best as you take this next step.
Hope this helps...Nancy and Dr. JIm Romano , Destroyers