How can I determine resident vs. OOS acceptance for Osteppathic School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATrim7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where can I find information about Osteopathic schools acceptance rates for residents vs. OOS students? I've looked through the Osteopathic Medical Colleges Information guide but there is no information regarding this. I've also looked on many of the schools websites but they do not provide this information. Allopathic schools make this information very apparent. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am a Virginia resident, but I am interested in schools in NY, Chicago, and Philadelphia.

Members don't see this ad.

US News has this data, but it's old and they don't include a lot of DO schools.

How do applicants then decide whether its worth spending the money to apply to an Osteopathic school. For instance, I think I want to apply to CCOM, but how will I know my application will be considered competitive if I have no information about OOS acceptance rates?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do applicants then decide whether its worth spending the money to apply to an Osteopathic school. For instance, I think I want to apply to CCOM, but how will I know my application will be considered competitive if I have no information about OOS acceptance rates?

A general rule of thumb for all medical schools is that state schools heavily favor instate residents where private schools USUALLY don't care/have less preference. Most DO schools are private (such as CCOM), though there are a few state schools and those will have an instate bias.

Where can I find information about Osteopathic schools acceptance rates for residents vs. OOS students? I've looked through the Osteopathic Medical Colleges Information guide but there is no information regarding this. I've also looked on many of the schools websites but they do not provide this information. Allopathic schools make this information very apparent. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am a Virginia resident, but I am interested in schools in NY, Chicago, and Philadelphia.

I had this exact question and found this TPR book to be a good source of info for DO schools.

For me it was much easier to figure this out on the DO side than the MD side. There aren't really any DO schools that vigorously deflect OOS apps, like MD schools such as UWash and the UCs.

There are only a few public DO schools, and some charge almost 3x as much tuition for OOS students. Couldn't be simpler than to avoid schools that will want more than $50k tuition out of me.

Ohio is going to make you sign a pledge to stay and practice for 5 years. That's a clean decision maker.

The private DO schools that receive state support are under some pressure to accept fewer OOS students, but not to the extent that you should avoid them. You can figure out which ones get state support by looking at OOS tuition.

If your numbers are not ridiculously low, then in your shoes I wouldn't hesitate to apply to any of the private schools, including CCOM. If your numbers are ridiculously low, then I'd focus on VCOM and on improving my app for next year.

Best of luck to you.

Please share how many DO schools are included and how old the data is.

The book is from 2008, and I don't know if they state when the data is from. Also, I know not all schools are included, even if they were up and running at that time. However, many schools are included, and in-state preferences are not likely to drastically change with time.

When I go home I'll report the stats. I'll put the data into a spreadsheet, too.

A general rule of thumb for all medical schools is that state schools heavily favor instate residents where private schools USUALLY don't care/have less preference. Most DO schools are private (such as CCOM), though there are a few state schools and those will have an instate bias.

I'll second this post. Most DO schools are private and therefore don't have a preference for in-state students. The state sponsored DO schools I can think of off the top of my head are: Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio, and Michigan. If you look carefully around their websites, you should be able to find class profiles with the info you're seeking. If not, it doesn't hurt to send the adcom an email with your question.

I appreciate both of your responses. After speaking with the MD I work for, I decided it would be best if I apply to DO schools as well as MD schools and I am trying to figure out what DO schools I would be suited for. I realize this semi-relates to "What are my chances?" but I am not asking that. I just want to know what DO schools will give my application consideration if I am OOS.

That being said....I would like to apply to 3 DO schools. I think PCOM, CCOM, and NYCOM were the 3 I was planning to apply to. However it looks like NYCOM does not accept OOS (info book says non-resident tuition: n/a). Is this really the case? Any suggestions as to a 3rd school I should apply to?
My stats are:

Science GPA: 3.77
Overall GPA: 3.51

MCAT: 26 P August 2007 (11,4,11)
28 M June 2008 (10,8,10)

I have plenty of clinical experience and was a non-science major followed by a post-bac program. Thank you again for your input and help.

You can see my stats in mdapps profile but I got no love from CCOM or NYCOM and I am a PA resident. In fact, I never even heard from the two. So I am not sure if that is more of a testament to my academic profile or my OOS staus. I would be curious to see this data from Chocolate Bear just because I really would have been particularly interested in interviewing at NYCOM since I liked their program a lot. On the other hand, more of my OOS friends got love from PCOM than any of the other OOS DO schools for them.

You can see my stats in mdapps profile but I got no love from CCOM or NYCOM and I am a PA resident. In fact, I never even heard from the two. So I am not sure if that is more of a testament to my academic profile or my OOS staus. I would be curious to see this data from Chocolate Bear just because I really would have been particularly interested in interviewing at NYCOM since I liked their program a lot. On the other hand, more of my OOS friends got love from PCOM than any of the other OOS DO schools for them.

I just did an MDApps search (with upper-end MCAT and GPA), which showed several acceptances of students from CA and elsewhere. They likely have lots of NY residents, but I certainly don't think someone is SOL, being OOS.

By popular demand...

There are lots of missing data points (thanks, TPR). Feel free to add or update data and repost. Everything is from TPR's Best 168 Medical Schools, 2008 Ed. UMDNJ looks like an obvious misprint, as it says that 112 OOS applicants were accepted but only 2 enrolled. The rest looks legit.

EDIT: UMDNJ gives in-state status to anyone with a heartbeat, so don't believe what you see there. --scpod

Attachments

• DO Schools and State Residency.xls
    13.5 KB · Views: 420
Last edited: