2008-2009 University of California Irvine (UCI) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

funkydrmonkey

They Call Me Dr. Funkmonk
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yay for more state school love!
Prompts
1. In evaluating applicants with a variety of backgrounds and strengths the Admissions Committee assesses each applicant as to what they can contribute to their class. Please describe to the Admissions Committee what you have to offer in this regard. (1,800 characters, with spaces).

2. Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience. (1,800 characters, with spaces).

3.This essay is only for applicants that have already received their baccalaureate degree. Please clarify for the Admissions Committee your activities (school, work and/or volunteer, travel, etc.) since receiving your undergraduate degree. You may list them in chronological order or you may incorporate them into an essay, stating why you chose particular activities. (1,800 characters, with spaces).

Website for login:
https://public.ha.uci.edu/SOMAdmissions/Login.aspx

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
LORs (from the instructions)
¨ Letters of Recommendation (LOR’s)
· 3 to 6 letters are suggested
· If you are indicating that you are LOR’s are being submitted online, you need to record the names of the individual authors. Or,
you may choose to record which school will be submitting your packet of letters
· Online LOR’s: We do not accept online LOR’s from Interfolio
· LOR’s should be mailed to the following address (unless your LOR’s are being submitted online):

UC Irvine School of Medicine
Office of Admissions and Outreach
Berk Hall, Room 100
Irvine, CA 92697-4089

· All LOR’s must be submitted by the recommender or Premedical Committee along with a UC Irvine Statement of
Confidentiality Form or an equivalent statement provided by your Premedical Committee or letter service
· If your school has already addressed the issue of confidentiality you do not need to use the UC Irvine form
· Letters of recommendation that have been received by the Office of Admissions will be recorded on the LOR page on the
secondary application. As long as the letter has not been received you are able to return to the secondary application and
edit or delete your entry. Also, e-mail the Admissions Office at [email protected] and inform them if you make any changes
to your LOR’s
· Keeping upwith the LOR’s is a constant struggle. If you know when your letters were sent, please give us up to two weeks to get
them recorded in our system. If after that time you still don’t see them recorded on the Status Page, contact [email protected]
and someone will look into the situation

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn, you guys are quick. I just got the email 5 mins ago =P

Does anyone know if it's only UCI that's not accepting LORs from Interfolio, or are all the UCs not accepting Interfolio letters this year?

Does anyone know if it's only UCI that's not accepting LORs from Interfolio, or are all the UCs not accepting Interfolio letters this year?

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I know that UCLA doesn't accept VirtualEvals.

do they screen?

I only got that my application was received and that they were still going to let me know if i get my secondary. Is this what you guys got or did u actually get the go ahead to fill it out?

guess they do screen.

I only got that my application was received and that they were still going to let me know if i get my secondary. Is this what you guys got or did u actually get the go ahead to fill it out?

6:00pm, AMCAS received.

6:01pm, sec given.

This leads me to believe they did not even attempt to read my PS :mad:! I know its silly to be mad, but i prefer a school to read the applicant, not just say "oh okay 32/3.9, good enuf". i guess they'll read it later....(unless they just sent the emails now, but had been working on it all day....in that case, they are forgiven!)

And with that said---YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:D:D

This leads me to believe they did not even attempt to read my PS :mad:! I know its silly to be mad, but i prefer a school to read the applicant, not just say "oh okay 32/3.9, good enuf". i guess they'll read it later....(unless they just sent the emails now, but had been working on it all day....in that case, they are forgiven!)

the whole point of primary to secondary is to screen out people with low numbers.

re: letters of rec...

what if interfolio snail mails it? huh. so annoying.

so for those who are using interfolio, what are you guys gonna do?

Members don't see this ad :)
just go back and ask for them to send it through the mail?

I'm guessing you guys all have been verified by AMCAS? It's taking forever to get verified now.

are you guys filling in all your courses? They have a lot of space, there's more than enough room for the prereqs.

Oh my god oh my god you guys...this school is perfect and its just my size...if there ever was a perfect school UCI sure qualifies....OH MY GOD YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

Anyone having difficulties with the website? I am unable to login, I think the site is blocked here in Thailand.

Pretty sure they read the whole application...I have a 3.5 and a 29R and i got a secondary...no way in hell that i would get a secondary if they didn't read my whole thing (no i am not a minority either, just ye old white dude in his early 20's)

Having said that I am totally psyched to have gotten UCI's secondary...I guess my special masters program at Loyola really helped...haha.

I dislike how they have you put everything in semester hours even though they freaking follow the quarter system themselves...:mad:

rofl. one of my letter of rec writers went on vacation for this whole month. don't know how i'm going to get a copy to mail in now..

I called UCI this morning and they said that they will still accept LORs from interfolio in the mail, just not electronic submissions. whew!

Thanks Holly! I'm sure you just saved UCI a bunch of phone calls from hard core SDN applicants. I picked up my phone the minute I saw "..no Interfolio..." I'm glad I waited long enough to finish reading to the end of the post.

Pretty sure they read the whole application...I have a 3.5 and a 29R and i got a secondary...no way in hell that i would get a secondary if they didn't read my whole thing (no i am not a minority either, just ye old white dude in his early 20's)

Having said that I am totally psyched to have gotten UCI's secondary...I guess my special masters program at Loyola really helped...haha.

yeah i was thinking they had to read the application, and i should not be to concerned with the timing. My guess is it worked like this....they have been reviewing many applications that day, maybe that week and at 6:00pm they sent out a notice to everyone they were reviewing, and at 6:01pm they sent a notice to the people who passed the initial screening. I'm just thinking about this because I want the screen to mean something you know? not just good numbers, you pass the first test...thats kind of lame.

well goodluck everyone, UCI is a great school and i hope to see some of you there at the interview.....if i can get one!:oops:

okay for the letters of rec, my school is just going to snail mail them a packet of all my letters with a cover sheet from the premed advisor. Is there no way of selecting this? or do we have to write each writers name individually.

thanks!

Whats wrong with writing each individual name? It will take you five minutes..

okay for the letters of rec, my school is just going to snail mail them a packet of all my letters with a cover sheet from the premed advisor. Is there no way of selecting this? or do we have to write each writers name individually.

thanks!

are you guys filling in all your courses? They have a lot of space, there's more than enough room for the prereqs.

I called in and they basically only want the required course work.
I dislike how they have you put everything in semester hours even though they freaking follow the quarter system themselves...:mad:

I agree 100%.

Schoolsucks: I was wondering why you thought UCI was a really great school. I'm also applying there, but so far I haven't heard too many good things about it. I think it may be because it's overshadowed by the other med schools in California. Also, this somewhat old opinion piece from the LA Times has me worried:

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jan/14/opinion/ed-uci14

I'm going to look more into it to see if it's true.

Schoolsucks: I was wondering why you thought UCI was a really great school. I'm also applying there, but so far I haven't heard too many good things about it. I think it may be because it's overshadowed by the other med schools in California. Also, this somewhat old opinion piece from the LA Times has me worried:

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jan/14/opinion/ed-uci14

I'm going to look more into it to see if it's true.

Having met a few UCI med students they are pretty laid back. I think most of them went to UCI because it was close ot where they grew up and cheap.

UCI undergrad has the reputation for having a lot of Asian Americans, and I wonder if that's the case as well for UCI med school? I am an Asian American myself but prefer multicultralism and people from diverse background.

UCI undergrad has the reputation for having a lot of Asian Americans, and I wonder if that's the case as well for UCI med school? I am an Asian American myself but prefer multicultralism and people from diverse background.

then why did you apply!

From the MSAR

Total Hispanic: 6
Total Asian: 39
Total White: 55
Total Black: 3
Native Hawaiian: 1
Native American: 2

then why did you apply!

Be Nice!

And to your other post for me, I know it will only take 5 mins, its just that most schools that require you to write down all your letter senders only want it if you do not have a committee letter or letter service from your school.....i was just curious if this was a similar case for UCI.

I read some of that LA times article SN2, but dont have much time as i am on the road right now. To answer your question: I want to badly live in the LA area. My girlfriend is applying to pharmacy school so if i get into the LA area it would make it easier for us to get married. Plus its my first state screened secondary...

i'll be screaming if UCLA sends one:D

Huge favor to ask, just thought I'd put it out there...

The UCI website is blocked in my country and I cannot access the application through a proxy.

Would anyone be willing to copy and paste all the questions and send them to me?

If anyone is feeling generous, please PM me! Please help a fellow pre-med!

Huge favor to ask, just thought I'd put it out there...

The UCI website is blocked in my country and I cannot access the application through a proxy.

Would anyone be willing to copy and paste all the questions and send them to me?

If anyone is feeling generous, please PM me! Please help a fellow pre-med!

The prompt is the FIRST post of this thread.

Do we have to include the confidentiality form if we're sending the LORs through interfolio?

it says " All LOR's must be submitted by the recommender or Premedical Committee along with a UC Irvine Statement of Confidentiality Form or an equivalent statement provided by your Premedical Committee or letter service"

since interfolio already has confidentiality statement, we dont need to submit the UCI form right?

i think they read more than GPA/MCAT. i just received email notification and secondary one after the other and it is definitely not for my stats.... 3.8/28R.

i think they may just be behind on sending notifications? what % of applicants get a secondary? I think this is my first "screened" secondary so it is kind of exciting.

Do we have to include the confidentiality form if we're sending the LORs through interfolio?

it says " All LOR’s must be submitted by the recommender or Premedical Committee along with a UC Irvine Statement of Confidentiality Form or an equivalent statement provided by your Premedical Committee or letter service"

since interfolio already has confidentiality statement, we dont need to submit the UCI form right?

anyone know?

Has anyones' letters been received by UCI when sent through VE?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

Not yet. They have my secondary and money, but not my letters, which were posted via VE at the beginning of July. I'll probably give them a week or two before I call.

Hi,

I got a couple of questions about prereqs.
1. My school was under a quarter system, will it be alright to put down 2 quarter classes for their requirement of 1 upper div class (in semesters)?
2. They are requiring one year of lab, do they talking about upper division lab or just regular gen chem/gen bio lab?

Thank you in advance for the response

D

Hi,

I got a couple of questions about prereqs.
1. My school was under a quarter system, will it be alright to put down 2 quarter classes for their requirement of 1 upper div class (in semesters)?
2. They are requiring one year of lab, do they talking about upper division lab or just regular gen chem/gen bio lab?

Thank you in advance for the response

D

1. I was told UCI looks at classes as a 1 to 1 ratio. For example, I took one English Writing course and 2 Comparative Lit courses. UCI supposedly requires 1 Semester (3 sem units or 4 quarter units) of English Writing/Composition. Now, UCI also tells you to translate your quarter units into semester units using the AMCAS conversion. My writing course was 4 quarter units = 2.7 semester units (according to AMCAS), UCI wants 3 semester units, what gives? I called them up, and the person basically said that they were just looking that I took at least one writing course and that although the conversion didn't give me 3 semester units, I was fine.

Also, UCI says that you only need 1 course/1 semester of upper division bio, so you should be fine with only listing one. I also asked UCI if I should put down additional courses beyond the required amount of semester units, she said "Just put down what's required".

Overall, I just got the impression that they want to see that you complete their requirements, and regardless, they will look at your primary to check the courses and all of your grades.

2. I am pretty sure it's just regular lab.

Good luck, and hope that long winded answer sufficed.

Thanks Disorder,

that definitely helped.

I have credit on my transcript for AP Statistics. I'm assuming they will accept that as their statistics requirement? Do I just leave the secion that says "semester hours" blank and put the title as "AP Statistics?" There is also no coure number.

EDIT: For the activities.....its just listing the activity right? No description? What a waste of time to ask questinos that are already spelled out in detail on the AMCA primary. Very irritating.

Last edited:
I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to the MSAR when I read it last year about what some courses the UCs require that you take before you matriculate, specifically statistics.

I just graduated from a state school with a BS, and I know that while it may not necessarily count against me as I don't have a "statistics" course under my belt during the application process, I will have to have taken one by the time of matriculation, if I'm fortunate enough to get accepted.

The only thing I can think of is to take it at a community college over the next academic year. Does it make a difference where I take stats, at this point?

I have credit on my transcript for AP Statistics. I'm assuming they will accept that as their statistics requirement? Do I just leave the secion that says "semester hours" blank and put the title as "AP Statistics?" There is also no coure number.

They only accept AP, if your college gave you credit/ it is on your transcript as having counted as a course.

Some people take ap courses, but their school never awknowledges it as replacing a class.

They only accept AP, if your college gave you credit/ it is on your transcript as having counted as a course.

Some people take ap courses, but their school never awknowledges it as replacing a class.

yea, luckily my school accepted AP stats....they didnt accept my AP bio credit for some reason. Well, its good to know AP stats was good for something!!

Thanks in advance.

Mine haven't been received still through VE. My payment has been processed and everything as of yesterday, but still no letters...

Mine haven't been received still through VE. My payment has been processed and everything as of yesterday, but still no letters...

They have my secondary, letters (through VE), and payment, but I'm not marked complete yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.