2008-2009 University of California Irvine (UCI) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i got mine 5:30 PM saturday

Members don't see this ad.

You really can't plan. She calls when she has time (driving to/from meetings, etc). Sometimes its morning, sometimes its lunch, sometimes its evenings or weekends. Don't try to plan, it won't work

I totally didn't want to believe this, but it's true. I got the call on Saturday at 2:00pm, right before lunch! Craziness!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I need to check my sanity. Holding on to my cell phone nights and days as if it was my new born baby is not a healthy habit. Please just give me that miraculous call. :luck::xf:

Last edited:
So I've been browsing some of the other school's threads and apparently UCLA and UC Davis haven't even sent out decisions (accept/reject/waitlist) to some applicants yet... Davis especially really seems to be dragging its feet. I'm really hoping once they actually get rolling there will be more UCI waitlist movement. :luck:

So I've been browsing some of the other school's threads and apparently UCLA and UC Davis haven't even sent out decisions (accept/reject/waitlist) to some applicants yet... Davis especially really seems to be dragging its feet. I'm really hoping once they actually get rolling there will be more UCI waitlist movement. :luck:

The UC Davis application progress has been fascinating to watch. They were still making first decisions on applicants about a month ago. I could have sworn the AAMC had 'rules' that were supposed to be followed concerning when all a SOM's offers were to be sent out by. I wouldn't say they are some much dragging their feet as trying to untangle themselves from their own fishing line.

My experience with USC was similar. I was offered an interviewed in late April only to find out that they had already filling their class. Everyone in my interview group was waitlisted. Some of the lucky ones were given offers after May 15th. Some people had flown in all the way from the East coast just for the chance to interview. How that is fair or reasonable is beyond me.

UC Davis aside, my only guess is that the current state of the economy is throwing off a lot of the models the SOM's use to determine how many people they should over-enroll. It's in their best interest to wait-and-see while you all wait-and-ulcerate.

Hang in there guys and gals.

I got the call from Dr. Peterson yesterday! I was doing laundry so I missed it, but she left a message. Am I supposed to call back? She said my letter would be sent on Monday (and I live in Orange County so I should get it by Tuesday). I'm so excited!

Also, I'm holding an acceptance at Albert Einstein...do I just call their admissions office and withdraw? Sorry if I sound like such a noob.

In case anyone is wondering, I interviewed in late January, and I sent in 1 letter of interest and 1 update.

I got the call from Dr. Peterson yesterday! I was doing laundry so I missed it, but she left a message. Am I supposed to call back? She said my letter would be sent on Monday (and I live in Orange County so I should get it by Tuesday). I'm so excited!

Also, I'm holding an acceptance at Albert Einstein...do I just call their admissions office and withdraw? Sorry if I sound like such a noob.

In case anyone is wondering, I interviewed in late January, and I sent in 1 letter of interest and 1 update.

Congrats.

Yeah, you can call Albert Einstein and withdraw. You don't really need to call Peterson back but if you have any questions about what to do call the admissions office - they're very nice.

Albert Einstein probably already knows, AMCAS rules say UCI has to notify them. 2 days after I got my call 2 years ago my other school emailed me to see what I was going to do.

Congrats.

Yeah, you can call Albert Einstein and withdraw. You don't really need to call Peterson back but if you have any questions about what to do call the admissions office - they're very nice.

Albert Einstein probably already knows, AMCAS rules say UCI has to notify them. 2 days after I got my call 2 years ago my other school emailed me to see what I was going to do.

Thanks for the quick reply and clarification! It's so nice to get off the waitlist. Funny thing is, I just went to Einstein last week with my family to check the school out...maybe we should have went site-seeing instead lol. It'll be great to be an anteater again for 4 years :laugh:.

Apparently the incoming class is now full. What are the chances of being pulled off the alternate list when the class is full? Please let us waitlisters know!

Apparently the incoming class is now full. What are the chances of being pulled off the alternate list when the class is full? Please let us waitlisters know!

I don't know what you mean; the class was already full.

The people who have gotten in recently have all been off the waitlist. As people get other offers, they decide whether or not to surrender their spot at UCI. You wait till one of them does, and if you're fortunate, you get a call. I would say calculating odds would be unproductive because UCI does not rank order their waitlist (as far as I know).

Is this what you were asking?

I don't know what you mean; the class was already full.

The people who have gotten in recently have all been off the waitlist. As people get other offers, they decide whether or not to surrender their spot at UCI. You wait till one of them does, and if you're fortunate, you get a call. I would say calculating odds would be unproductive because UCI does not rank order their waitlist (as far as I know).

Is this what you were asking?

After speaking with the lady in the admissions office, she said the class wasn't full 2-3 weeks ago, but as of today it is full.

Got the call today!!!! Was pulled off the waitlist, so if you are still waiting don't give up hope. :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
The UC Davis application progress has been fascinating to watch. They were still making first decisions on applicants about a month ago. I could have sworn the AAMC had 'rules' that were supposed to be followed concerning when all a SOM's offers were to be sent out by. I wouldn't say they are some much dragging their feet as trying to untangle themselves from their own fishing line.

Davis was a complete mess this year. I logged on to check my status around September to find an update that said something on the order of, "We are having technical difficulties with our database and new website and don't expect to process any of the applications that came in after X date for another month...so if it says we haven't received your application, don't worry" A total mess. I'm sure they scraped together a class for next year but just barely.

My experience with USC was similar. I was offered an interviewed in late April only to find out that they had already filling their class. Everyone in my interview group was waitlisted. Some of the lucky ones were given offers after May 15th. Some people had flown in all the way from the East coast just for the chance to interview. How that is fair or reasonable is beyond me.

I was told the same thing at Temple, after flying in from California. Waitlisted...go figure.

As far as fair and reasonable is concerned..honestly..they really shouldn't even open AMCAS up until September, after the schools have begun matriculating. I understand that they don't want to over-accept or mistakenly mess with their matriculation rates, but it's so unreasonable to expect waitlisted candidates to re-start the whole process again in June, spending all the hours and dollars necessary to do so, when they could end up being accepted still that year. Especially when so many schools automatically waitlist anyone who applied "late" in September...3 months before the deadline.

Last edited:
Is it too late to update now? I was just told that one of the paper I was working on got published. I dunno if this alone will be enough for an update letter.

I don't think it's too late to update n I would think have a paper accepted for publication is def. enough to update. Good luck.

Is it too late to update now? I was just told that one of the paper I was working on got published. I dunno if this alone will be enough for an update letter.

Send the update. Just make your letter about how much you want to go to Irvine and specifically define the reasons. Throw the part about your publication in there, but also reiterate why that work you did was important to you, and explain how you will apply what you learned from doing that research by going to uci. Maybe even relate that work to someone you want to work with specifically at uci. Try it... Thats what I did anyways, and I got off the waitlist. you can pm me also if you want me to send you some more about what I did.

Is it too late to hear anything? I mean they all say you can get pulled of the WL anytime until class begins. But in all seriousness, what's the chance at this point?

Is it too late to hear anything? I mean they all say you can get pulled of the WL anytime until class begins. But in all seriousness, what's the chance at this point?

Actually UCI lets quite a few people in in July.

Accepted 2 days ago via phone call from Dr. Peterson!!!!!

Be persistent and show interest!!! Thats what I did :)

I just called the office. They said things are definitely slowing down, and they really much know the next 5 or 6 people who will get pulled off the WL, and I am not in it. :( I really love to come back, but it seems almost impossible to do so now:( I am depressed :(

I just called the office. They said things are definitely slowing down, and they really much know the next 5 or 6 people who will get pulled off the WL, and I am not in it. :( I really love to come back, but it seems almost impossible to do so now:( I am depressed :(

Everytime I call they barely give me any information. How did you go about asking this? Thanks.

Everytime I call they barely give me any information. How did you go about asking this? Thanks.

I had the same problem when I used to call them, but you should try calling either Gayle or Dr. Peterson directly. They both tend to be more upfront with information and you can generally get a good idea of what your chances of getting off the waitlist is if you talk to them. Good luck!

Has anyone heard anything recently? I've been checking this thread so much it's not even funny. I love UC Irvine and I want to stay HERE for the next four years!!! Please give us some good news! UCI UCI UCI UCI :D

I am still waiting...but I got an email from admissions saying that the class is full and that they'll close the website soon.

I am still waiting...but I got an email from admissions saying that the class is full and that they'll close the website soon.

Thats odd. The class is full starting in March - they have to have accepted at least as many slots in the class.

And if another school takes someone who withdraws then the class isn't full again and they'll go for someone else.

Its getting pretty late and there will likely be very little waitlist movement at this point, but thats a new one if they are sending out emails this early or shutting down the website.

Thats odd. The class is full starting in March - they have to have accepted at least as many slots in the class.

And if another school takes someone who withdraws then the class isn't full again and they'll go for someone else.

Its getting pretty late and there will likely be very little waitlist movement at this point, but thats a new one if they are sending out emails this early or shutting down the website.

There was an email sent out saying that the applicant status check will no longer work for those of us who applied to start this fall, so that they can start updating it for those applying to start in 2010. But the email also says that any notifications regarding admissions will be made by Dr. Peterson via phone or email. So, nothing new, process will still work the same for getting off a waitlist at this point. The only difference is that we can't check the applicant portal anymore. I think they sent the email to warn us so that we don't freak out and assume we've been rejected necessarily.

2 more weeks and class starts!!!! Man... time is flying!

Status
Not open for further replies.