ok, worried again. 3.8cGPA, 4.0sGPA, 39R, mediocre ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dulcina

=)
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok after looking at people's school lists, I'm worried again that I didn't include enough safety schools.

3.8cGPA, 4.0sGPA, 39R

mediocre EC's:
volunteering since Sept
research position currently
leadership experience--TA and backpacking leader.

i'd appreciate any comments on my list of schools:
Boston University
Brown University
Harvard University
Jefferson Medical College
Johns Hopkins University
Northwestern University
Oregon Health & Science University
Stanford University
Tufts University
University of California, Davis
University of California, Irvine
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California, San Diego
University of California, San Francisco
University of Chicago
University of Colorado
University of Michigan
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
University of Southern California
Vanderbilt University
Yale University

edit: submitted amcas 7/2, this is for adding schools

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you are fine

Well, why do you want to go into medicine? :laugh:

Stop whining, there are people with real things to worry about here. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy crap. Those numbers are amazing. I am also temped to tell you to quit whining, but you are right, clinical experience is important. The passion for medicine is just as important as grades and MCAT. If you literally have no safety schools, I would say add some.

Seriously BREATHE.

I count at least 6 "safety" schools on your list, you'll be dandy. You can consider adding Case Western, I hear they're kind of into numbers as well. You can also add NYU to the list if you'd ever consider living in NYC, they have no secondary essays :)

Honestly, I think you'll be ok. My only criticism would be that some of your "Safety" schools might be TOO safe. Given your numbers, you might find some of them will reject you outright because they know they are the back up :( I hear Boston U and Jefferson does that to quite a lot of applicants since they get so many applicants and don't want to waste time on a stats "superstar" that probably won't matriculate. So if anything, I'd add more mid tier schools, like NYU, Sinai, Emory, etc.

Seriously BREATHE.

I count at least 6 "safety" schools on your list, you'll be dandy. You can consider adding Case Western, I hear they're kind of into numbers as well. You can also add NYU to the list if you'd ever consider living in NYC, they have no secondary essays :)

Honestly, I think you'll be ok. My only criticism would be that some of your "Safety" schools might be TOO safe. Given your numbers, you might find some of them will reject you outright because they know they are the back up :( I hear Boston U and Jefferson does that to quite a lot of applicants since they get so many applicants and don't want to waste time on a stats "superstar" that probably won't matriculate. So if anything, I'd add more mid tier schools, like NYU, Sinai, Emory, etc.

oh boo. I actually hadnt differentiated "midtier" from "lowertier", and chose based on geography alone (cut out south and NY). I hope jefferson and bu like me, I like philly and boston! :D

You should probably include Ross and Universidad el Caribe.

Wait, never mind. Medical schools do not take self-confidence into account.

you are so fine that....:scared:

you have nothing to be scared about....crap if you were scared where the heck does that put the rest of us?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I'm just wondering you're 24, did you take time off school? start school later?

BTW, you've got plenty of safeties, I would prob drop Harvard, that school is way too below your numbers you should just drop it and lemme go to it.:laugh:

Your chief concern is something you can't do anything about now, and that is being from California. If you were from just about any other state with good options to stay instate, you would be absolutely golden. And having said that, you will probably have multiple instate offers anyway.

It would not hurt you to add on some "safety" schools. Say VCU? Or EVMS?

Ok after looking at people's school lists, I'm worried again that I didn't include enough safety schools.

3.8cGPA, 4.0sGPA, 39R

mediocre EC's:
volunteering since Sept

ugh. i'd appreciate any comments on my list of schools in mdapps.

There are people with actual concerns in here. stop trying to show off under the pretense of seeking advice.

if you actually want advice; dont worry. you have a 3.8 and 39 you'll get into a lot schools.

you are so fine that....:scared:

you have nothing to be scared about....crap if you were scared where the heck does that put the rest of us?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I'm just wondering you're 24, did you take time off school? start school later?

BTW, you've got plenty of safeties, I would prob drop Harvard, that school is way too below your numbers you should just drop it and lemme go to it.:laugh:

its been a year since i graduated, and i took a term off during school.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are people with actual concerns in here. stop trying to show off under the pretense of seeking advice.

if you actually want advice; dont worry. you have a 3.8 and 39 you'll get into a lot schools.

i'm seriously not trying to show off lol, impressing sdn is the last thing on my mind. i know someone with a 4.0 / 39, and got into 1 school (applied to 29 schools).

Sorry if it feels like i'm overly worried... i guess i probably am!

yeah i didn't mean to come across as an a**hole -- you will be fine don't worry, just add on plenty of safety schools

better go Caribbean just to be safe! with those stats you might not make it in here in the states

dulcina, you and i basically are the same person

we have the exact same GPAs and the exact same MCAT score (writing score and all).

What's even funnier is that I am also a cali resident and I have pretty much applied to the same exact schools you have (except a few more ivies/top-tiers). Honestly I don't think we have to worry about getting into california schools. We both have strong research backgrounds (do you have any publications?) and the UCs eat that **** right up.

As for some of the Ivies and top tiers, I don't think we should hold our breaths. I applied to them mostly because my GPA and MCAT score says I should (assuming that was your logic as well), but it's clear from my extracurriculars that I am no different than your average premed.

In terms of clinical experience, I too started volunteering at the beginning of this year (september) and I have only accumulated 80 hours. This is a pretty paltry number, but hopefully this will satisfy any kind of "clinical experience" bull**** requirement. I plan on continuing to volunteer and work at my research job. Maybe I might sprinkle on some shadowing but that depends on how much time I have between playing video games and poking smot. haha.

Wow I can't believe how similar our profiles are. Either way good luck.

except you didn't take a term off for romantic reasons, which may not be good in many adcom's eyes, so I think given the same number you are slightly better off, maybe?

dulcina, you and i basically are the same person

we have the exact same GPAs and the exact same MCAT score (writing score and all).

What's even funnier is that I am also a cali resident and I have pretty much applied to the same exact schools you have (except a few more ivies/top-tiers). Honestly I don't think we have to worry about getting into california schools. We both have strong research backgrounds (do you have any publications?) and the UCs eat that **** right up.

As for some of the Ivies and top tiers, I don't think we should hold our breaths. I applied to them mostly because my GPA and MCAT score says I should (assuming that was your logic as well), but it's clear from my extracurriculars that I am no different than your average premed.

In terms of clinical experience, I too started volunteering at the beginning of this year (september) and I have only accumulated 80 hours. This is a pretty paltry number, but hopefully this will satisfy any kind of "clinical experience" bull**** requirement. I plan on continuing to volunteer and work at my research job. Maybe I might sprinkle on some shadowing but that depends on how much time I have between playing video games and poking smot. haha.

Wow I can't believe how similar our profiles are. Either way good luck.

yeah, i was pretty comfortable with my school list, until I sent ot to my premed advisor and he told me to add safeties. I guess i'll just disregard his advice.. hope i dont regret that!

no pubs. working on one atm.

heh, poking smot.

Last edited:
except you didn't take a term off for romantic reasons, which may not be good in many adcom's eyes, so I think given the same number you are slightly better off, maybe?

no school will know this. i'm leaving it ambiguous.

yeah, i was pretty comfortable with my school list, until I sent ot to my premed advisor and he told me to add safeties. I guess i'll just disregard his advice.. hope i dont regret that!

heh, poking smot.

You should listen to your advisor - you have maybe one "safety" on your list (Jefferson) and they get tons of apps and may just toss yours as being "too good" for them...BU and Tufts are not "safeties" for anybody with very flaky admissions...I doubt if you will regret it, but your list is quite top heavy...

I believe U of Colorado and Michigan pull pretty heavily from in-staters, so you might be wasting your money with them (and OOS tuition will be super high). OHSU is also mostly for people who live in OR, WA, and ID I think. If you really want some "safeties", maybe Wisconsin and Vermont? Without knowing off the top of my head, I'd venture that they get fewer applications than BU, Jefferson, and the other "mid-tiers" that get 10,000 applications a year and are therefore a giant crapshoot.

I believe U of Colorado and Michigan pull pretty heavily from in-staters, so you might be wasting your money with them (and OOS tuition will be super high).

U of M actually takes a good amount of OOS applicants. They also give automatic invites if you have high enough stats (I'm 105% sure you do) and are from a top 20 university (which you are from).

I believe U of Colorado and Michigan pull pretty heavily from in-staters, so you might be wasting your money with them (and OOS tuition will be super high). OHSU is also mostly for people who live in OR, WA, and ID I think. If you really want some "safeties", maybe Wisconsin and Vermont? Without knowing off the top of my head, I'd venture that they get fewer applications than BU, Jefferson, and the other "mid-tiers" that get 10,000 applications a year and are therefore a giant crapshoot.

Hmm ok, I'll look into vermont, thanks =) Any more ideas for safeties in the northeast? Trying to stick to the coasts :D
Preferably not those schools that reject bc they dont want to be a safety =P

Last edited:
Isn't this thread what sdn-ers like to call a troll? The person who got into only 1 out of 29 schools with your stats-there must have been something very wrong with some other aspect of his or her application and/or interview.

I think U of Colorado and OHSU prefer in-state applicants. Given that you're applying to all the UC's, I'm going out on a limb and assuming that you're a California resident.

Maybe apply to Columbia? :)

I think U of Colorado and OHSU prefer in-state applicants. Given that you're applying to all the UC's, I'm going out on a limb and assuming that you're a California resident.

Maybe apply to Columbia? :)

yeah im a ca resident =)
I chose to not apply to columbia bc its in NYC, and i prefer less urban environments.

i'm not a troll, my intention is to get helpful advice, not irk random people (though that is apparently also happening?)

heh, poking smot.

your premed adviser might be right. your numbers are top-tier but your ECs are low-tier. Your applying to so many schools I hesitate to say add more, but I think 1 or 2 more mid-tiers could be a good compromise.

3.8cGPA, 4.0sGPA, 39R

mediocre EC's:
volunteering since Sept

ugh. i'd appreciate any comments on my list of schools in mdapps.
Boston University
Brown University
Harvard University
Jefferson Medical College
Johns Hopkins University
Northwestern University
Oregon Health & Science University
Stanford University
Tufts University
University of California, Davis
University of California, Irvine
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California, San Diego
University of California, San Francisco
University of Chicago
University of Colorado
University of Michigan
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
University of Southern California
Vanderbilt University
Yale University

edit: oh forget it

your premed adviser might be right. your numbers are top-tier but your ECs are low-tier. Your applying to so many schools I hesitate to say add more, but I think 1 or 2 more mid-tiers could be a good compromise.

do you have any suggestions? there are schools that people say reject based on numbers being too high. which schools are traditionally " mid-tier" schools that are ok with being backups?

do you have any suggestions? there are schools that people say reject based on numbers being too high. which schools are traditionally " mid-tier" schools that are ok with being backups?

Very generally, avoid the east coast schools...they get swamped with apps, and they "seem" to be very good at ferreting out the "safety" apps apart from the truly interested applicants....BU, Tufts, GW, Georgetown in particular...not as sure about Drexel and Jefferson...

Exceptions? NYMC, on the other hand, does seem to "know its place" in the applicant hierarchy, as do VCU and EVMS...

I think you will do just fine. Stop worrying and chill before interviews and med. school. :D

If you like less urban environments consider Creighton, NYMC, and MCW.

You're a senior?

nope, graduated 2 yrs ago

If you like less urban environments consider Creighton, NYMC, and MCW.

Very generally, avoid the east coast schools...they get swamped with apps, and they "seem" to be very good at ferreting out the "safety" apps apart from the truly interested applicants....BU, Tufts, GW, Georgetown in particular...not as sure about Drexel and Jefferson...

Exceptions? NYMC, on the other hand, does seem to "know its place" in the applicant hierarchy, as do VCU and EVMS...

thanks for the suggestions, ill look into those when i get home.
any opinions on rosalind franklin? i wouldnt mind chicago =)

a separate question... how do most ppl quote more than one person in a reply? i always hit quote, then copy/paste, then go back and quote someone else.

a separate question... how do most ppl quote more than one person in a reply? i always hit quote, then copy/paste, then go back and quote someone else.

I have no idea how to do it...

As for Rosalind Franklin - do some research, but those Chicagoland schools seem to go for the local/regional applicants...Pritker and Northwestern are national in scope with their matriculant pool, but RFU, Loyola, and Rush seem to favor the locals and people from neighboring states...plus RFU is very expensive tuition wise...

I think you will be a successful applicant even with your original list, but you could insure yourself against disaster by adding NYMC, VCU, or EVMS, or maybe Creighton and SLU, as opposed to BU, Tufts, et al...

exactly, who knows, maybe he is making it up.
Nobody with those stats would even be on here asking advice.

exactly, who knows, maybe he is making it up.
Nobody with those stats would even be on here asking advice.

why are people so angry? I have these stats, and im a she, not a he. and I'm asking advice. And yes, I'm sane. jeez.

why are people so angry? I have these stats, and im a she, not a he. and I'm asking advice. And yes, I'm sane. jeez.

simple, jealousy. also, people could assume you are a bit naive in that you are even asking questions considering your credentials. people could also perceive that you lack a tad bit of self-confidence in yourself and your accomplishments, and that you are subconsciously seeking the affirmation of others even though you claim you are not (that's why you deeply and honestly probe your intentions).

anyways, you're golden. don't worry about it. your numbers will get you interviews, so as long as you're not a complete dud, you're fine.

simple, jealousy. also, people could assume you are a bit naive in that you are even asking questions considering your credentials. people could also perceive that you lack a tad bit of self-confidence in yourself and your accomplishments, and that you are subconsciously seeking the affirmation of others even though you claim you are not (that's why you deeply and honestly probe your intentions).

anyways, you're golden. don't worry about it. your numbers will get you interviews, so as long as you're not a complete dud, you're fine.

thanks for the advice. I actually thought I was fine until my premed dean told me to add more safeties, as my list was too "reachy".

haha nice.

Your post made me vomit in my mouth a little... You will fail at everything you do in life. Most likely you have never lived life and are a slave to textbooks...This is the reason I laugh when I see people who bust their butt in college studying 8+ hours a day and I study like maybe 0.5 hrs/day on average...maybe... and I still get the same grades.

Anyway I should be more direct...GET A LIFE!!!

wow i didnt study THAT hard. Why would you make that assumption? You say you studied half an hr a day and got the same grades.

But man, you have some anger issues. I will fail at everything I do in life? And you laugh at people who have to try harder than you? Please go resolve your issues somewhere else, your hate isnt needed here.

i'm seriously not trying to show off lol, impressing sdn is the last thing on my mind. i know someone with a 4.0 / 39, and got into 1 school (applied to 29 schools).

And I know people with similar numerical stats that didn't get into schools that accepted far worse (numbers wise) candidates, except the people I know had the personality of a door (sometimes it's hard to admit when you're their friend or have known them forever).

And I know people with similar numerical stats that didn't get into schools that accepted far worse (numbers wise) candidates, except the people I know had the personality of a door (sometimes it's hard to admit when you're their friend or have known them forever).

i guess i'll just hope that I'm not door-like. :rolleyes:

Your post made me vomit in my mouth a little... You will fail at everything you do in life. Most likely you have never lived life and are a slave to textbooks...This is the reason I laugh when I see people who bust their butt in college studying 8+ hours a day and I study like maybe 0.5 hrs/day on average...maybe... and I still get the same grades.

Anyway I should be more direct...GET A LIFE!!!

Wow. Insecure much? You really feel the need to go out of your way to comment on a thread like this just to put someone else down? ...Do you feel better about yourself now. Regardless if the OP was being a tad bit neurotic (arent we all sometimes) you are just a str8 up douche. And no...you do not appear to be getting the same grades/ scores with less work.
I have a MCAT score of 32M (10ps, 11vr, 11bs) and a GPA of 3.77 (science is about the same).

I put in an insane amount of work in college and have made a lot of sacrifices to have a surer hand in directing where I end up. It was a choice I made, because I wanted to score in the top 95% of all mcat takers although I know I am definitely not more intelligent than 95% of those same takers. I just straight up out worked you. You're right though, I really wish I could have been hanging out all that time I put in studying. Have a great day.

Wow. Insecure much? You really feel the need to go out of your way to comment on a thread like this just to put someone else down? ...Do you feel better about yourself now. Regardless if the OP was being a tad bit neurotic (arent we all sometimes) you are just a str8 up douche. And no...you do not appear to be getting the same grades/ scores with less work.

I put in an insane amount of work in college and have made a lot of sacrifices to have a surer hand in directing where I end up. It was a choice I made, because I wanted to score in the top 95% of all mcat takers although I know I am definitely not more intelligent than 95% of those same takers. I just straight up out worked you. You're right though, I really wish I could have been hanging out all that time I put in studying. Have a great day.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: