Pre-Allo Interview Lodging Thread ***2008-2009 Season***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It would be inappropriate to assume that the hosts from last year's thread can take guests again, so let's start a new sign up thread.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I'd be willing to offer a free night of lodging for cash-strapped medical school interviewees. Perhaps others would also offer their couch to a fellow applicant. Hence this thread. My idea is simply couch-sharing. Anything beyond that is up to the individual. (I'd probably offer breakfast and a ride to the school, but that's just me.)

Please use this list to post your offers for lodging. Thanks so much.

AL

AK
  • MilkmanAl: If you're coming to Arkansas, I can probably help you out. I don't have any room for you to stay, but I could likely find a couch for you to sleep on. I'd also be happy to drive you around (including airport pick-up) and give you a tour of the area. Message me well ahead of time so I can try to make arrangements.
CA
  • majahops: < 2 miles from UCLA and < 10 miles from USC. Holler at me via PM on here. I got a room and a bed for you and I work at UCLA, so I definitely have you on a ride there. Just let me know at least a few days in advance. Oh yeah, and I got you on a ride from the airport to casa de Tim. No doubt.
DC

FL

GA
  • bodonid: MCG Male no roommate PM only at least 1 week in advance. I live on campus, so you would have the same accomodations if you did the official student-run program. But I'm cooler than those wack-jobs.
IL

KY

MA Jacqui3932 (BU, Tufts, Harvard). Please PM

MD

MI

MN
  • Phoenix.: (Rochester (Mayo)/non-trad female/no roommates/1 friendly dog) PM for contact info. House by St. Mary's Hospital with a guest bedroom & bath; no car needed (but parking available); 3 minute walk to Mayo shuttle (then 5 minutes direct to med school). Happy to be your official host through the Mayo host system, or to host outside of the system. I'm a first year who just went through the application process and am happy to share all Mayo-knowledge I have. :luck:

MO

MS

NY

OH
  • Depakote: (Toledo/male/ no roommate/2 friendly cats) PM or e-mail for Contact info. University of Toledo COM. Less than 5 min from campus. Sofa bed to sleep on, light to moderate snackage + breakfast available. You'll probably want to have a car to get to my place.
OR
  • URHere: (Portland/female/one male roommate/friendly ferret). I live about 5 miles from campus (30 min bus ride). I could provide pick-up from the airport, breakfast, show you around Portland, and take you to the interview in the morning. I also have a spare room with a futon that would be yours to use. PM for contact info.

PA

RI

TN

TX

VA

• chad5871 - (Richmond/VCU/male/friendly parents/friendly dog). I am living with my parents for my year off, but they're totally cool. We live about 25 minutes north of VCU and we have a guest room, but I may not be able to provide lodging (if you're desperate I can try to work something out for you) but I can at the least provide a ride to/from the airport and to/from your interview. I went to VCU for undergrad and work at VCU now, so I can answer a lot of your questions about VCU or Richmond in general. I'm also on campus everyday so it won't be too much trouble to give you a ride. PM me for contact info.

WA

INTERNATIONAL

Canada

QC
  • Vihsadas: (Montreal, Male, Have a spare room and bed, can show you how frickin cool Montreal is!) I live about 5 seconds from campus and about 10 mins (walking) from your interview location. I can't pick you up from the airport, but I can make sure that you get on the right shuttle and pick you up in downtown.
United Kingdom

To add yourself, quote the above (provide the important info, including how you may be contacted) and then remove the [quote] and [/quote] tags. Don't copy/paste.

Edit: updated through 8/22/08

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does the PA mean in the title? When I first read it I thought it meant PA state and was summarily confused by the actual thread content.

Members don't see this ad :)
Crap, we've been invaded and lost 31 states? :D

looking for someone at Ohio State! :]

If you're coming to Arkansas, I can probably help you out. I don't have any room for you to stay, but I could likely find a couch for you to sleep on. I'd also be happy to drive you around (including airport pick-up) and give you a tour of the area. Message me well ahead of time so I can try to make arrangements.

It might also be worthwhile for pre-meds that live in the immediate area of medical schools to offer other pre-meds a place to stay? Just an idea. I know that staying with a medical student is of course of much more benefit to the interviewee-to-be, but... this might help save $$$ where a bed in a medical student's place isn't available. no?

It might also be worthwhile for pre-meds that live in the immediate area of medical schools to offer other pre-meds a place to stay? Just an idea. I know that staying with a medical student is of course of much more benefit to the interviewee-to-be, but... this might help save $$$ where a bed in a medical student's place isn't available. no?

definitely. This isn't limited to med student's making the offer.

In fact, when Zipmedic made the original thread last year, he was still pre-med.

I'd hope that most people willing to take advantage of this thread would offer a place to stay if they live in proximity of a school.

Well, I'm happy to offer to put up anyone that's coming to Rochester, MN for a Mayo interview, but Mayo has a great student host system set up for all interviewees (you get the opportunity to stay with a first year student for a night). But hey, if you really want to stay with me, feel free to drop me a PM and I bet I can work out a way to get assigned as your host (or to host you outside "the system"). :D And don't worry, I'll keep your SDN identity confidential. :cool:

Oh, as for my details, I'm a non-trad first year female Mayo Med Student, and have a guest bedroom and bathroom in a house near St. Mary's Hospital (a 5 minute Mayo shuttle ride to the med school). Also, I have a dog, so anyone with allergies might want to stay elsewhere....

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to all the trouble to set up a list...

*sigh*

if no one else does, I'll put these in list format later.

MN isn't even on your list! :p I'll add myself later I suppose. I just don't think anyone will take me up on it since Mayo sends out an official hosting email right after they send out the interview invite. *shrug*

It would be inappropriate to assume that the hosts from last year's thread can take guests again, so let's start a new sign up thread.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I'd be willing to offer a free night of lodging for cash-strapped medical school interviewees. Perhaps others would also offer their couch to a fellow applicant. Hence this thread. My idea is simply couch-sharing. Anything beyond that is up to the individual. (I'd probably offer breakfast and a ride to the school, but that's just me.)

AL

CA

DC

FL

GA
  • bodonid: MCG Male no roommate PM only at least 1 week in advance. I live on campus, so you would have the same accomodations if you did the official student-run program. But I'm cooler than those wack-jobs.
IL

KY

MA

MD

MI

MO

MS

NY

OH
  • Depakote: (Toledo/male/ no roommate/2 friendly cats) PM or e-mail for Contact info. University of Toledo COM. Less than 5 min from campus. Sofa bed to sleep on, light to moderate snackage + breakfast available. You'll probably want to have a car to get to my place.
OR

PA

RI

TN

TX

VA

WA

INTERNATIONAL
United Kingdom

To add yourself, quote the above (provide the important info, including how you may be contacted) and then remove the [quote] and [/quote] tags. Don't copy/paste.[/quote]

AL

CA

DC

FL

GA
IL

KY

MA

MD

MI

MN
  • Phoenix.: (Rochester (Mayo)/non-trad female/no roommates/1 friendly dog) PM for contact info. House by St. Mary's Hospital with a guest bedroom & bath; no car needed (but parking available); 3 minute walk to Mayo shuttle (then 5 minutes direct to med school). Happy to be your official host through the Mayo host system, or to host outside of the system. I'm a first year who just went through the application process and am happy to share all Mayo-knowledge I have. :luck:

MO

MS

NY

OH
OR

PA

RI

TN

TX

VA

WA

INTERNATIONAL
United Kingdom

To add yourself, quote the above (provide the important info, including how you may be contacted) and then remove the [quote] and [/quote] tags. Don't copy/paste.

AL

AK
  • MilkmanAl: If you're coming to Arkansas, I can probably help you out. I don't have any room for you to stay, but I could likely find a couch for you to sleep on. I'd also be happy to drive you around (including airport pick-up) and give you a tour of the area. Message me well ahead of time so I can try to make arrangements.
CA

DC

FL

GA
IL

KY

MA

MD

MI

MN

MO

MS

NY

OH
OR

PA

RI

TN

TX

VA

WA

INTERNATIONAL
United Kingdom

AL

AK
CA
  • majahops: < 2 miles from UCLA and < 10 miles from USC. Holler at me via PM on here. I got a room and a bed for you and I work at UCLA, so I definitely have you on a ride there. Just let me know at least a few days in advance.
DC

FL

GA
IL

KY

MA

MD

MI

MN

MO

MS

NY

OH
OR

PA

RI

TN

TX

VA

WA

INTERNATIONAL
United Kingdom

AL

AK
CA
  • majahops: < 2 miles from UCLA and < 10 miles from USC. Holler at me via PM on here. I got a room and a bed for you and I work at UCLA, so I definitely have you on a ride there. Just let me know at least a few days in advance.
DC

FL

GA
IL

KY

MA

MD

MI

MN

MO

MS

NY

OH
OR
  • URHere: (Portland/female/one male roommate/friendly ferret). I live about 5 miles from campus (30 min bus ride). I could provide pick-up from the airport, breakfast, show you around Portland, and take you to the interview in the morning. I also have a spare room with a futon that would be yours to use. PM for contact info.

PA

RI

TN

TX

VA

WA

INTERNATIONAL
United Kingdom

bump! Looking for someone in columbus! I'm gonna book my flight soon :] interview is on the 22nd.

bump! Looking for someone in columbus! I'm gonna book my flight soon :] interview is on the 22nd.

ouch.

you might try PMing some of the people from last year's thread, but be very understanding that they didn't sign up for this year. (many may have moved on to clinicals or might have prohibitive schedules)

where are you coming from?

This is a shot in the dark but is there anyone in Nashville that has a couch/floor for me for a night or two? My interview at Vandy is on August 18th. I would really appreciate it!

I would be willing to discuss Boston lodging

AL

AK
CA
DC

FL

GA
IL

KY

MD

MI

MN

MO

MS

NY

OH
OR

PA

RI

TN

TX

VA

WA

INTERNATIONAL
United Kingdom

AL

AK
CA
DC

FL

GA
IL

KY

MD

MI

MN

MO

MS

NY

OH
OR

PA

RI

TN

TX

VA

WA

INTERNATIONAL
United Kingdom

NEED a host for SUNY UPSTATE PLEASE:):):)

Thank you.

Any advice on how to prepare for interviews
I have read the feedbk post but there are svereal Random Q

Is there any breakdown?:luck::luck::luck:

One more thing, do people know about this post as i FOUND it from a link within a post, thus it would be difficult to get the words out and it should be POSTED ON MD STUDENTS site, as well as pre allo

Thanks to everyone that is helping the poor premeds out. I also think maybe students in their easier year in med school are more likely to help out then during MS1, 2, how about those doing 3,4 yr?

I will be in Newark, Delaware from 8/26-9/20 for interviews. I have absolutely no friends there (my parents moved after I went to college), so I wonder if there are any people from SDN who live in the surrounding area that can maybe show me around / have a drink (I am a man, just in case you wonder).

Likewise, if you come here to interview for UCD or UCSF, you can crash in my frat house for a few days on the couch.

I can probably host people if they get Stanford or UCSF interviews. I'm a little bit of a ways away from UCSF (you'd need to take the train), but down the street from Stanford. Let me know in advance so I can reassure my roommates you're not a homicidal maniac. You also might want to reassure ME of the same.

I can host UCSF interviewees. I am a block away and it takes 2 minutes max to walk to campus. I stayed with an SDNer last year for my UCSF interview and he was EXTREMELY helpful (Wuttup RAWKAH!) so I'll definitely return the favor.

There is a couch here you can crash on, I have 2 other roommates that are MS1s also and they're really cool. I have a sleeping bag and extra pillows and a giant comforter too. Best of luck to you.

I'm a fellow pre med (male) in the LA area. I'm about 10 min from USC and i'm not sure how far from UCLA but it can't be thaaaaat far. I live in a college dorm (altho it looks like a 5 star hotel... brand new only been open for one semester) with a roomate who is also pre med, altho not applying this cycle. If you let me know in advance I can get an extra bed put in the room. Just PM me.

Perks:

We have Halo 3. :)

I will be in Newark, Delaware from 8/26-9/20 for interviews. I have absolutely no friends there (my parents moved after I went to college), so I wonder if there are any people from SDN who live in the surrounding area that can maybe show me around / have a drink (I am a man, just in case you wonder).

Likewise, if you come here to interview for UCD or UCSF, you can crash in my frat house for a few days on the couch.

I go to UD, so I'll be in Newark from 8/28 on. Feel free to send me a PM...I'd be happy to hang out or show you around (although with the main st. being pretty much the only street of interest, you probably won't need much help with that! :laugh: )

Hey guys,

a) why have their been so few offers to allow people to stay with you?

b) why aren't people using the awesome list that depakote made to post their offers?

I go to UD, so I'll be in Newark from 8/28 on. Feel free to send me a PM...I'd be happy to hang out or show you around (although with the main st. being pretty much the only street of interest, you probably won't need much help with that! :laugh: )

AL

AK
CA
  • majahops: < 2 miles from UCLA and < 10 miles from USC. Holler at me via PM on here. I got a room and a bed for you and I work at UCLA, so I definitely have you on a ride there. Just let me know at least a few days in advance. Oh yeah, and I got you on a ride from the airport to casa de Tim. No doubt.
DC

FL

GA
IL

KY

MD

MI

MN

MO

MS

NY

OH
OR

PA

RI

TN

TX

VA

WA

INTERNATIONAL
United Kingdom

To add yourself, quote the above (provide the important info, including how you may be contacted) and then remove the ["Quote"] and ["/Quote"] tags.

Last edited:

AL

AK
CA
DC

FL

GA
IL

KY

MD

MI

MN

MO

MS

NY

OH
OR

PA

RI

TN

TX

VA

• chad5871 - (Richmond/VCU/male/friendly parents/friendly dog). I am living with my parents for my year off, but they're totally cool. We live about 25 minutes north of VCU and we have a guest room, but I may not be able to provide lodging (if you're desperate I can try to work something out for you) but I can at the least provide a ride to/from the airport and to/from your interview. I went to VCU for undergrad and work at VCU now, so I can answer a lot of your questions about VCU or Richmond in general. I'm also on campus everyday so it won't be too much trouble to give you a ride. PM me for contact info.

WA

INTERNATIONAL
United Kingdom

To add yourself, quote the above (provide the important info, including how you may be contacted) and then remove the ["Quote"] and ["/Quote"] tags.

AL

AK
CA
DC

FL

GA
IL

KY

MD

MI

MN
MO

MS

NY

OH
OR
PA

RI

TN

TX

VA

WA

INTERNATIONAL
Canada

QC
  • Vihsadas: (Montreal, Male, Have a spare room and bed, can show you how frickin cool Montreal is!) I live about 5 seconds from campus and about 10 mins (walking) from your interview location. I can't pick you up from the airport, but I can make sure that you get on the right shuttle and pick you up in downtown.
United Kingdom

Ill be interviewing there soon, and was hoping I could find someone willing to take me in for a night....no transportation needed, just a floor/couch to sleep on.

PM me if you can!!!! Please please please.

Just wondering if there is anyone in Albany that'd be willing to put me up for a night on Oct 1st...I don't need much, just a floor or a couch. :)

Yea, we all just got a mass email saying sorry, no student hosts available for that date lol. Hotels arent that expensive in the area tho, so its alright.

AL

AR
CA
DC

FL

GA
IL

KY

MD

MI

MN
MO

MS

NY

OH
  • Depakote: (Toledo/male/ no roommate/2 friendly cats) PM or e-mail for Contact info. University of Toledo COM. Less than 5 min from campus. Sofa bed to sleep on, light to moderate snackage + breakfast available. You'll probably want to have a car to get to my place. Just FYI, if I have a test the next day I'm going to have to turn you down, known unavailable dates are 10/6, 10/13, 10/14, 11/12, 11/14, 11/17, 11/19, 12/19, 1/30, 3/6, 4/14, 5/5
OR
PA

RI

TN

TX

VA

WA

INTERNATIONAL
Canada

QC
United Kingdom

AL

AR
CA
DC

FL

GA
IL

KY

MD rogerwilco (Maryland, Hopkins). I live right by the University of Maryland, and am about 2 miles from Hopkins. PM please.

MI

MN
MO

MS

NY

OH
  • Depakote: (Toledo/male/ no roommate/2 friendly cats) PM or e-mail for Contact info. University of Toledo COM. Less than 5 min from campus. Sofa bed to sleep on, light to moderate snackage + breakfast available. You'll probably want to have a car to get to my place. Just FYI, if I have a test the next day I'm going to have to turn you down, known unavailable dates are 10/6, 10/13, 10/14, 11/12, 11/14, 11/17, 11/19, 12/19, 1/30, 3/6, 4/14, 5/5
OR
PA

RI

TN

TX

VA

WA

INTERNATIONAL
Canada

QC
United Kingdom

Can we sticky this thread, mods? Like a good lil SDN'er I used the search to find it, but I imagine that we'll get tons more responses if the visibility increases. THANK YOUUU :p:p:p:p:p

AL

AR
CA
DC

FL

GA
IL
  • Stillwaters: I live just north of Rosalind Franklin, but it's a bit of a train ride to the other Chicago area schools. If you fly in after 6 PM, I can pick you up. I have a couch you can use, and maybe dinner. I leave for work at 6:30 a.m., though, so I probably won't be able to drive you to the interview. Good public transport around here, though. PM me if you're interested.
KY

MD rogerwilco (Maryland, Hopkins). I live right by the University of Maryland, and am about 2 miles from Hopkins. PM please.

MI

MN
MO

MS

NY

OH
OR
PA

RI

TN

TX

VA

WA

INTERNATIONAL
Canada

QC
United Kingdom

To add yourself, quote the above (provide the important info, including how you may be contacted) and then remove the ["Quote"] and ["/Quote"] tags.[/quote]

Are there any kind souls near U Chicago?