*** 2008-2009 MSTP Secondary Application Thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calf

Eat more chicken!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here I will be compiling links and prompts for the MSTP and MD/PhD program secondaries for future reference, much like the pre-allopathic forum, but without individual threads. If you have a school to add to the list, post here in the same format as my posts, and I will add it to the list. Note that some of these may be similar/identical to the regular MD secondaries, while some have additional questions and still others have completely different secondaries.

MSTP Secondaries:

Baylor: Website - Prompt
Harvard: Website - Prompt
Johns Hopkins: Website - Prompt
Northwestern: Website - Prompt
Stanford: Website - Prompt
Stony Brook: Website - Prompt
U. Chicago: Website - Prompt
UCSF: Website - Prompt
U. Illinois - Chicago: Website - Prompt
U. Pennsylvania: Website - Prompt
U. Washington: Website - Preliminary Prompt
UT Southwestern: Website - Prompt
Vanderbilt: Website - Prompt
Wash U: Website - Prompt
Yale: Website - Prompt

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Baylor:

http://www.bcm.edu/mstp/

Prompts:

Primary Research Interest(s) and Career Goals (Will not limit final research project selection).
Limit essay to 2000 characters.

Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity.
You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information.
2000 character limit.

Harvard:

http://www.hms.harvard.edu/md_phd/

Prompts:

If you have already graduated, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since graduation.

ESSAY FOR APPLICATIONS TO THE HARVARD-MIT DIVISION OF HEALTH SCIENCES AND TECHNOLOGY (HST) we strongly recommend that you prepare your essay (4000 characters max) using a word processing software program, and paste it into the space below. Be sure to save and print your essay using your word processor - you will not be able to print your essay from this web page. Instructions: Please give your reasons for your interest in this Program. Include areas of research interests. Please limit your comments to the equivalent of one page of single spaced text with a font size of 10 or 12.

Members don't see this ad :)
Johns Hopkins:

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/mdphd/

Prompts:

If you have already received your bachelor's degree, please describe what you have been doing since graduation, and your plans for the upcoming year.
This space is limited to 700 characters.

List any academic honors or awards you have received since entering college:
This space is limited to 600 characters.

Briefly Describe your most rewarding Experience or some achievement of which you are particularly proud. This space is limited to 900 characters

Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment.
This space is limited to 1100 characters.

Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician.
This space is limited to 900 characters.

If applicable, describe a situation where you were not in the majority.
This space is limited to 1100 characters.

Please list your area(s) of interest in graduate study. These may be general and/or specific. This space is limited to 270 characters.

Northwestern:

http://www.mstp.northwestern.edu/ad_info.htm

Prompts:

RESEARCH. Describe your current research interests as you plan your research training.

.PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS. Describe the personal characteristics that distinguish you from other applicants and describe how they predict your success as a Feinberg School of Medicine medical student and as a future physician. ..(Limit your response to 400 words)

.COPING SKILLS. Describe how you coped when confronted with a difficult personal (non-academic) situation. ..(Limit your response to 400 words).

.OTHER PURSUITS. Describe your experiences away from traditional educational pursuits, such as travel or time spent in the work force (other than summer or part-time employment). Specify the time frame. If you have been in school continuously, then describe a non-academic activity which has been formative. ..(Limit your response to 400 words).

Stanford:

http://mstp.stanford.edu/

Prompts:

The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.
Please limit your answer to 2,000 characters including spaces.

What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?
a. Choose the single answer that best describes your career goals.
1. Private Practice
2. Health Policy
3. Academic Medicine
4. Public Health
5. Health Care Administration
b. Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path?
Please limit your answer to 1,000 characters including spaces.

Describe your most significant research experience. Include the rationale, results, and conclusions, and the role you played in each of these components.
Please be very specific, including the dates and amount of time you were so engaged. For publications or presentations that resulted or will result from this work, include a complete citation with the names of all authors and the status (e.g. submitted, in preparation).
Please limit your answer to 2,500 characters including spaces.

Please describe in a short paragraph your educational and family background.
e.g. I grew up in New York City, as the 3rd child of a high school principal and homemaker. I attended Mann High School where my major interests were boxing and drama.

Please limit your answer to 500 characters including spaces.

Describe your reasons for pursuing medical scientist training in relation to your long-term career goals? Why are you applying to a combined degree program rather than graduate or medical school only?
Please limit your answer to 800 characters including spaces.

Describe your current lab affiliation and the weekly time commitment required. (e.g. I am working in the Griffin lab where I performed research in the summer following junior year for 20 hours per week)
Please limit your answer to 800 characters including spaces.

I have 7 more to add for now, but I'm going to go see The Dark Knight in IMAX, so I'll do it later :D.

U. Chicago:

http://pritzker.bsd.uchicago.edu/jointdegrees/combined/mdphd.shtml

Prompts:

3500 characters for essay A. At the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, we strive to identify students who will be a great "fit" with our medical school. Our Mission Statement is an expression of our core purpose and educational philosophy. Please reflect on its content and write an essay describing why you see yourself as a great "fit" for Pritzker. Please include examples of past service, community, clinical, educational, and research experiences. Please also discuss your future goals.
"At the University of Chicago, in an atmosphere of interdisciplinary scholarship and discovery, the Pritzker School of Medicine is dedicated to inspiring diverse students of exceptional promise to become leaders and innovators in science and medicine for the betterment of humanity."

2400 characters for essay B. Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation that you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills that you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice.

U. Illinois - Chicago:

http://chicago.medicine.uic.edu/mstp

Prompts:

Describe any advantages and/or complications you encountered during your progression in education. Please include any noteworthy achievements and/or obstacles. (Examples: Acute or chronic illnesses, employment, financial difficulty, managerial role in household, etc.) (Don't exceed 150 words)

Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it, your reactions(s), and how it affected you. What did you learn from this situation/experience? (Don't exceed 250 words)

Describe a hobby or activity other than something in health care, in which you have a keen interest. How does this hobby/activity help you fulfill your personal goals? (Don't exceed 250 words)

AREAS OF CURRENT INTEREST Briefly indicate areas of scientific interest and potential graduate study.

U. Washington:

http://www.mstp.washington.edu/

Prompts: (preliminary MSTP, this school has two rounds of MSTP secondaries)

Describe your Research Experience

Please supplement the AMCAS personal comments by explaining why you are interested in MD/PhD programs and why you are specifically interested in the University of Washington's MSTP. Describe your career plans as you see them now, and how the Medical Scientist Training Program is in accordance with your future plans in medicine. (Please limit to one page).

How did you find out about the University of Washington's Medical Scientist Training Program?

Vanderbilt:

http://bret.mc.vanderbilt.edu/mstp/

Prompts:

Write a brief autobiography. As completely and precisely as possible, give a picture of yourself, your family, and events you consider important in you. In doing so, identify the values that are of greatest importance to you. If you have completed your undergraduate education, please comment on what you have done or have been doing since graduation. You may either upload a file from your computer or type your statement in the space provided. (1200 word limit)

The learning environment of the medical school is enhanced by the inclusion of students with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences prior to medical school. What in your background or your experiences will uniquely contribute to this learning environment? (500 word limit)

Please discuss a challenging situation that you faced in the past. Why was it challenging? How did you handle it? Knowing what you know now, would you do anything differently? What did you learn? (500 word limit)

Members don't see this ad :)
Wash U:

http://mstp.wustl.edu/

Prompts:

Have you, a family member, or a research mentor had any personal experience or relationship with Washington University School of Medicine. If yes, please explain:
(maximum 1800 characters including spaces)

(optional) Do you have unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome that were not covered in your application about which you would like to inform our Admissions Committee? (maximum 3000 characters including spaces)

If you have already completed you education, if your college or graduate education was interrupted, or if you do not plan to be a full-time student during the current year, describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (maximum 1800 characters including spaces)

Please give a brief description (no longer than 6 sentences) of the area of biomedical science you are most interested in studying.

That's all I have for now. I'm still waiting on U Colorado and UCSF. If anyone has any others, please post here.

Calf, you're a hero :bow:

Stony Brook

http://www.stonybrookmedicalcenter.org/somadmissions

12. IN YOUR OPINION, WHAT CONTEMPORARY MEDICAL ISSUE NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED IN THE U.S. HEALTHCARE SYSTEM AND WHY?
13. DESCRIBE AN OBSTACLE YOU’VE OVERCOME AND HOW IT HAS DEFINED YOU.
14. IN YOUR INTELLECTUAL DEVELOPMENT AND PREPARATION FOR A MEDICAL CAREER, WHICH NON-SCIENCE COLLEGE COURSE HAS BEEN MOST VALUABLE? WHY?

Is that the MSTP secondary questions?

Your link is the the SOM admissions site.

Is that the MSTP secondary questions?

Your link is the the SOM admissions site.

Oh right sorry...The MSTP question/application is on the last page of the SOM secondary.

Let me check the link I'm pretty sur eyou can download the application from there as I copy and pasted that address from my email I received form them

There we go. Thanks!

Yale:

http://info.med.yale.edu/mdphd/

Prompts:

From the "Experience" section in your AMCAS application, please choose your most significant activities, achievements and distinctions and list them in order of importance.

Was your undergraduate college education discontinued in any way? Summers, holiday breaks and post-graduation time should not be included. Please indicate the reason(s) below.

Have you been subjected to disciplinary action by any college or university? Have you been convicted of a criminal offense? Are there disciplinary or criminal charges pending against you? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, please specify the details.

Please state any consideration which could significantly or adversely affect your performance as a medical student. If there are any such considerations or conditions, explain why you believe they would not in fact prevent your successful completion of the medical school program and requirements.

Please use this space to write an essay in which you discuss your interest in the Yale University School of Medicine. Please limit your response to 500 words.

Write a one-page statement concerning:

• Your reasons for wishing to undertake graduate study
  • The graduate program you propose to follow at Yale
  • The strengths and weaknesses of your preparation for graduate study in your proposed field
Please list any original work published or submitted for publication. At this time, there is no need to submit copies unless requested.

This section should be used to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee any information not previously discussed throughout your Yale Supplemental Application. Please limit your response to 500 words. (Optional)

Vandy asks to list the MD/PhD programs you are also applying to by institution code, but I can't find the institution codes for some of the schools (ie, UCs, AECOM, etc)

Anyone else have this issue?

List the research projects on which you have worked.
Dates, Project Title, Advisor/Complete Address/Phone
(You only get one page for this one)

Please describe in detail your most recent research project.

Please list publications, honors, and presentations resulting from your research experience.

Please describe briefly your reasons for applying to MSTP.

They do not give word/char limit, but I assume adcoms don't want to read 20 pages of stuff from each of their applicants :laugh:

Best of luck!

Vandy asks to list the MD/PhD programs you are also applying to by institution code, but I can't find the institution codes for some of the schools (ie, UCs, AECOM, etc)

Anyone else have this issue?

There is a little button on the side somewhere, I think it's near the "add information button" for this section, that says something about "find institution codes." Click on that, and it will open a new window that will allow you to search for the codes. I feel sorry for you having to look those up on your own :(.

Also, updating with UCSF. I haven't gotten it yet :(. Did you get this via email or snail mail?

Also, updating with UCSF. I haven't gotten it yet :(. Did you get this via email or snail mail?

I got an invite through email. Mind you, I'm in-state, so that's probably why I got it so early, so don't worry!

Columbia
·
• What satisfactions do you expect to receive from your activities as a physician? (2475 char)
• In what collegiate extracurricular activities did you engage? (760 char)
• Please list collegiate honors,awards, and memberships in honorary societies (345 char)
• About how many hours per week, if any, did you spend in work for which you were recompensed during the college year? (200 char)
• What sort of work did you do (include summer employment)? (1100 char)
• If your education has been interrupted for any reason, please indicate briefly the reasons, the duration of the interruption and how your time was spent. (1300 char)
• If you have additional information that you would like to include with your application, compose a document offline in a word processor and upload it here. Use this uploaded document to record any information that does not fit into the application form, including additional majors or colleges.
• Please describe your goals as a Physician/Scientist. Who are your role models?

Duke
Three MSTP Essays
• This statement is in addition to the ones required for your AMCAS and Duke University Supplemental Applications. Provide a statement of your special interest, plans, purposes and objectives in undertaking the MST program. Document and describe your interest and experience in research and medicine.
• To what other MSTP programs are you applying?
• What is your special field of interest in medicine?

And the MD essays

• What is the most significant moral or ethical dilemma that you have faced in your life (excluding academic dishonesty)? Describe how you dealt with and potentially resolved it, including beliefs, resources, individuals, etc. How did this dilemma and its resolution change your life and what, if any, impact will this have on your future as a health care provider?
• What do you consider to be professional behavior? Provide an example of the kind of professional behavior you will exhibit as a physician.
• How will you add a unique dimension to our medical school community? In answering this question, please also describe your greatest strength? What is your most significant vulnerability? Please understand that the "strength/vulnerability" questions will in fact require two separate responses; they are two different questions. They are both important but not necessarily related.
• What has been your most humbling experience and how will that experience affect your interactions with your peers and patients?
• What relationship in your life has best prepared you for a career as a physician?

UVA

• There are three short answer essays of 300 words maximum for each.
(1) Which areas of biomedical research interest you most, and why?
(2) Briefly indicate what you perceive as the major benefits of an MD/PhD Program as compared to either an MD or PhD Program alone.
(3) What prompted you to apply to the University of Virginia MSTP?
• Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? (Please limit your response to 300 words.)
• How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine? (Please limit your response to 300 words.)
• What do you think will be your greatest personal challenge as a physician, and how will you address this? (Please limit your response to 300 words.)

Question about Yale's MSTP essay: it says a "one page" statement. Are you guys doing a page single spaced? I'm assuming it is a loose requirement, so I'll probably do 12 pt font single spaced.

Just thought I'd poll the audience.

I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but are these questions just for the PhD portion of the MD/PhD or are there also separate MD secondary essays?

Question about Yale's MSTP essay: it says a "one page" statement. Are you guys doing a page single spaced? I'm assuming it is a loose requirement, so I'll probably do 12 pt font single spaced.

Just thought I'd poll the audience.

I'm not applying to Yale, bu that sounds reasonable.

I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but are these questions just for the PhD portion of the MD/PhD or are there also separate MD secondary essays?

This should be ALL the essays you will need to write, both the MD and MD/PhD sections if they have 2 sections, or the MD/PhD if you only have one section.

Please indicate one or more general area(s) that is of interest to you.

What do they mean by general areas?

I took it to mean "molecular biology" or "oncology" or "immunology." Sort of general areas of study.

I took it to mean "molecular biology" or "oncology" or "immunology." Sort of general areas of study.

Yeah that is what I thought but wanted to make sure. Wonder why they are asking for such broad areas of interest.

It's often to help decide who will interview you. At least that's the impression I've been given.

RESEARCH. Describe your current research interests as you plan your research training.

For Northwestern's research question, the space given on the app seems to be quite a bit and there is no word limit. I was wondering in how much detail, I should go in my response and the detail other people are putting for this question.

Thanks

I only wrote two sentences.

Haha, as a contrast to Calf, I think it was my longest section in the app. :D

Columbia
·
• What satisfactions do you expect to receive from your activities as a physician? (2475 char)
• In what collegiate extracurricular activities did you engage? (760 char)
• Please list collegiate honors,awards, and memberships in honorary societies (345 char)
• About how many hours per week, if any, did you spend in work for which you were recompensed during the college year? (200 char)
• What sort of work did you do (include summer employment)? (1100 char)
• If your education has been interrupted for any reason, please indicate briefly the reasons, the duration of the interruption and how your time was spent. (1300 char)
• If you have additional information that you would like to include with your application, compose a document offline in a word processor and upload it here. Use this uploaded document to record any information that does not fit into the application form, including additional majors or colleges.
• Please describe your goals as a Physician/Scientist. Who are your role models?

Is Columbia's MSTP secondary application part of their regulary secondary application?

University of Michigan

Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words) for both.

MSTP applicants: Instead of the above, briefly describe why you decided to apply to the U of Michigan MSTP. If you are interested in a specific department, program, or area of research for your Ph.D., briefly explain (we recognize that your interests may change).

At the University of Michigan Medical School, we are committed to building a superb educational community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds. What would you as an individual bring to our medical school community?

Duke(I might be missing 1 or 2)

1. What is the most significant moral or ethical dilemma that you have faced in your life (excluding academic dishonesty)? Describe how you dealt with and potentially resolved it, including beliefs, resources, individuals, etc. How did this dilemma and its resolution change your life and what, if any, impact will this have on your future as a health care provider?

2. What do you consider to be professional behavior? Provide an example of the kind of professional behavior you will exhibit as a physician.

3. How will you add a unique dimension to our medical school community? In answering this question, please also describe your greatest strength? What is your most significant vulnerability? Please understand that the "strength/vulnerability" questions will in fact require two separate responses; they are two different questions. They are both important but not necessarily related.

4.What has been your most humbling experience and how will that experience affect your interactions with your peers and patients?

5. What relationship in your life has best prepared you for a career as a physician?

6. Have you ever been accepted or deferred admission to ANY medical
school? If no, type "na" in the box below; if yes, please explain:

7. Has any previous behavior resulted in any review or action by a judicial committee? Have you ever received an honor code and/or conduct violation at any time while enrolled as a full or part-time student? If no to both, type "N/A" in the box below; if yes to either question, please explain in detail.

Does anyone have the secondary for Mt. Sinai School of Medicine MSTP? Thanks.

Does anyone have the secondary for Mt. Sinai School of Medicine MSTP? Thanks.

Just got this secondary today:

Personal Essay One (Required) (suggested 250 words or less)
What makes you special, someone who will add to the Mount Sinai community?

Personal Essay Two (Optional) (suggested 200 words or less)
Indicate the reasons for your specific interest in Mount Sinai.

Personal Essay Three (Required) (suggested 200 words or less)
What are your reasons for choosing to apply to the Mount Sinai School of Medicine MD/PhD program?

Statement of Research Interest (Required)
Provide a one sentence summary of your current research interests:

Is everyone just assuming prompts are the same as last year? I'm still waiting for some of my recs to come in before I can submit the primary, so I wanted to begin some secondaries in the meantime.

"Is everyone just assuming prompts are the same as last year? I'm still waiting for some of my recs to come in before I can submit the primary, so I wanted to begin some secondaries in the meantime."

I've finished most of my secondaries and the questions have all been the same as last year.

anyone have the secondary essays for the schools below? Thanks!

Dartmouth
UNC-CH
UC Davis
UCSD
Cornell

Weill Cornell Medical College:

If you are not attending college during the 2009-10 academic year, what are your plans? Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.

Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College. Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.

UCSD

2. AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH
This should be a true autobiographical statement. Topics to be included are family, childhood, primary and secondary school years, early adult years, and future career goals in medicine. You should also discuss the motivational factors which led you to a career in medicine including any disadvantages or obstacles which might put your accomplishments into context. A repeat of your AMCAS statement will not be acceptable.

Note that the autobiographical sketch is limited to 7500 characters.

6. ADDITIONAL ACTIVITIES
In addition to the activities listed in Section 5, please list any additional activities you would like us to know about.

These would include fellowships, grants, publications, published abstracts and/or formal presentations at scientific meetings or symposia (list all authors).

yah, UCSD is one of two programs I applied to (Vanderbilt is the other) that asks for the dreaded "autobiography". At least Vandy waives their application fee for MSTP applicants :cool:

So has anyone here filled out Pitt's MSTP online application? It's pretty short and straightforward but there's one box where it says:

"Curriculum Vitae and Abstracts of Publications. Please enter in the box below."

I took this to mean, paste your CV along with abstracts, but it said there was a 2500 character limit. Abstracts are usually ~1500-2000 characters by themselves. I have 3 publications, which means I would be pasting way too much into the box. I tried emailing/calling the MSTP office but no luck so far. Anyone experience a similar problem?