***" Official 2008-2009 MD/PhD Rejection Thread" ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brokenward

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get this one started.

Members don't see this ad.

Indiana University: 8/11/08 (brokenward)

meh!

You didn't want to spend the next 8-9 years of your life in Indiana anyway...

Members don't see this ad :)
You raise a strong point GWD. I humbly receive your wisdom...

I hope that I never have to post here, but I know that is not gonna happen. Anyway, I need some goddamn interviews already! :mad:

Tell me about it...

*waits anxiously

The end of summer is near. Program directors are likely returning from vacation. It may just be the calm before the storm. :)

I talked with a few of the schools I am applying to, and I am under-review at those schools. Hurrray! I should get yay or nay around the labor day weekend. Let's hope I have to post in interview forum and not here. :D

I talked with a few of the schools I am applying to, and I am under-review at those schools. Hurrray! I should get yay or nay around the labor day weekend. Let's hope I have to post in interview forum and not here. :D

Which schools did you speak with that should be posting the yay/nay decisions this soon? I'm getting excited for all of us!

good luck to all of us! i applied to those three schools as well. do any of you guys know anything about upitt or NY schools such as NYU? according to last year's thread it seemed that those schools gave out interviews around this time too.

good luck to all of us! i applied to those three schools as well. do any of you guys know anything about upitt or NY schools such as NYU? according to last year's thread it seemed that those schools gave out interviews around this time too.

I got my NYU interview invite the first week of september last year

As the days roll by, my hopes diminish. I think I may be a frequent contributor to this thread. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
As the days roll by, my hopes diminish. I think I may be a frequent contributor to this thread. :(

dont' give up hope! only a few people have receive invites at a few schools. ive only gotten CCLCM so far but no mdphd invites. we can do it! :)

Yeah I wouldn't stress yet. I've applied to 14 schools fairly early and only heard back from one, and no one else has interviews from the others either so...

Neuronix pep talk:

Pre-allo will be full of invites and even acceptances by now. MD/PhD programs move slower. This doesn't necessarily mean you've been rejected!

If you haven't heard anything from a school and you've been complete for awhile, CONTACT THEM. Every year at least one SDNer will have had a LOR lost in the shuffle, never be complete at school X, and realize it after school X's deadline. For me personally this was CWRU. Late in the season but before their deadline I called in, found out about the missing letter, had my school resend the letter, and got an invite and acceptance soon after. Moral of these stories: contact the schools if you haven't heard if you are complete after a reasonable time.

Good luck! :luck:

I'm getting sorta discouraged. No interview invites yet, though my file is complete as of this week at most schools (AMCAS received and processed my last LOR today, and it was sent snail mail last week to the rest of the schools). And two rejections pre-secondary already (U Minn and U Wash). Should I blow $80 or $85 (don't remember which) on Mayo's fee (already had the ratings forms sent out), only to face almost-sure rejection? Any opinions, guys?

I'm getting sorta discouraged. No interview invites yet, though my file is complete as of this week at most schools (AMCAS received and processed my last LOR today, and it was sent snail mail last week to the rest of the schools). And two rejections pre-secondary already (U Minn and U Wash). Should I blow $80 or $85 (don't remember which) on Mayo's fee (already had the ratings forms sent out), only to face almost-sure rejection? Any opinions, guys?

Don't get too discouraged; as another guy on MDApps said, it's not over til the fat lady sings.

Since your LORs were sent in not too long ago, some committees still need time to review applications. Consider adding more schools (although I'm guessing you've gotten that advice before). Your list is a little top heavy and it's better to be safe that sorry.

Thanks for the advice, but I feel that my app as a whole is pretty strong (obviously the MCAT score is good for MD/not very good for MD/PhD). I've been working extremely hard for the last four years at a top 20 school doing lots of research, leadership, and teaching, all aimed at being able to pursue academic medicine as a career. The two rejections so far have come from schools that probably just looked at stats very superficially (I'm guessing my MCAT score was probably 95% of the reason for my early rejection, given that I didn't have the chance to make my case with more school-specific essays). There's a lot of depth and strength in my experiences thus far, which I've hopefully been better able to convey in the schools with more extensive secondaries (Duke comes to mind), so hopefully I'll be getting some good interview news soon.

I feel that my app as a whole should be strong enough to garner interviews to at least a few of the MSTPs I've applied to, and so applying to more schools that I have no interest in attending is not something I plan on doing at this point. In the worst case scenario that I don't get any acceptances this year, I would much rather take a year off to get a 35+ MCAT score (given that my first MCAT was a self-study and taken after my sophomore year of undergrad while I was totally stressed by working full-time) and to strengthen my application with more research and clinical experience, then re-apply to a competitive program, than to matriculate in 2009 into a weaker program in an iffy region of the country with research opportunities that may or may not be in my field of interest.

U of Minnesota Twin Cities: 9/3/08 (simlamblue)

I knew it was coming :(. Rejected from Hopkins...

Johns Hopkins: 9/11/08 (Calf)

Johns Hopkins: 9/11/08 (Calf), 9/11/08 (waterlilly)

U of Minnesota Twin Cities: 9/3/08 (simlamblue), 9/11/08 (reine1jb)

aww man.. sorry to hear about jhu calf and waterlilly. how were you guys notified so i can be prepared for mine? lol

Simlamblue, I'm surprised that you got rejected with that kind of stats!

I think it might have been because of out of state and really far (CA), and the fact they don't really have a 2ndary so I wasn't able to expand on much from my primary but its okay! i'll be happy with just one MSTP interview...

Cornell: 9/13/08 (RapplixGmed)

^^ How were you notified?

Also, can we write how we were notified on the list??

^^ How were you notified?

Also, can we write how we were notified on the list??

Notified via snail mail.

Ah, rejection, kind of reminds me of something from xkcd.

I know the brother of the guy who draws this comic. Awesome!

Yeah, in this process, they're probably all rejecting us because of the spiders. :laugh:

U Washington: 9/15/08 (Beebe- via snail mail)

My UWash rejection should have come by snail mail since I didn't get the secondary.. I'll post once I get it. :)

Cornell: 9/13/08 (RapplixGmed), 9/15/08 (jab719)

Got the letter from Cornell/Tri-I via snail mail today...

Leggy Blonde ER Nurse: 9/17/08 (GWD)

^^ I believe it is those rejections we regret the most.

:luck: Keep trying, GWD. haha

Haha, GWD nice. I was wondering when those would start. The MD one was full of them earlier in the season.

Leggy Blonde ER Nurse: 9/17/08 (GWD)
Rhinovirus: 9/19/08 (britishmafia)

Cornell: 9/13/08 (RapplixGmed), 9/15/08 (jab719), 9/15/08(brokenward)

I'm going to be posting here very, very soon I know. It's so early though, I'm trying not to be scared.

Man this is gonna sucks. I think that I will have to embrace for lots of rejections soon. Yikes. Pray for me so I do not have to post here!

Cornell: 9/13/08 (RapplixGmed), 9/15/08 (jab719), 9/15/08(brokenward), 9/19/08 (GliaGirl)

Cornell: 9/13/08 (RapplixGmed), 9/13/08 (sunshine8i8), 9/15/08 (jab719), 9/15/08(brokenward), 9/19/08 (GliaGirl),

Cornell: 9/13/08 (RapplixGmed), 9/13/08 (sunshine8i8), 9/15/08 (jab719), 9/15/08(brokenward), 9/19/08 (GliaGirl),
Duke: 9/20/08 (morozovo)

Email:

"Dear Prospective Student:

Thank you for submitting an application to the Duke University School of Medicine Medical Scientist Training Program. The Duke MSTP admissions committee regrets to inform you that we are unable to offer you an invitation to interview with us. The MST Program expects to receive in excess of 250 applications for about 10 positions to be filled this year and is able to interview only a small percentage of many well-qualified applicants.

We appreciate the opportunity to review your application and thank you for considering Duke MSTP. The MSTP decision in no way reflects an opinion on your potential as a future physician.

At this time, your application will move to the Duke University School of Medicine MD application screening pool and continue through the School of Medicine application process.

If you do not wish to be considered for the MD admissions process, plea! se contact the School of Medicine Admissions Office at 919-684-2985, [email protected].

Sincerely,
Duke University Medical Scientist Training Program"

Duke: 9/20/08 (morozovo)
UWisconsin: 9/22/08 (CancerKiller007)

Just got email from the MSTP program coordinator about the rejection. Darn it. It was among my top choices :(!

for the tri-i ppl... when did you guys complete?