EVMS ~Class of 2013~

Started by menelaus84
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

menelaus84

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I saw that some people were already accepted to EVMS for the next year and I thought I'd start the class of 2013 thread. Please feel free to use this space to communicate with each other, talk to current students and perhaps just to procrastinate. I'm currently a student at EVMS doing an MD/MPH so I'll actually be graduating with your class =) If any of you have questions please feel free to post or send me a message.
 
I was accepted a few weeks ago and have a few random questions for you that I forgot to ask during my interview.

Where do students study after-hours when the library closes?
Are audio and/or video recordings of the lectures available online?
Where do students typically eat during the day?
What are the average Step 1 scores?
How many students per cadaver in Gross lab?
How often are exams during first and second year?
Do you feel disadvantaged going to a school with a relatively small reputation?

Thanks
 
Heya! Congrats!

k, to answer your questions:

1. Weekdays ~ If you study past the library's close time, you should go to sleep. Seriously rest is important. However if you do find yourself studying past the library close time... the school has other non library places where you can study. The school remains open 24 hrs a day.

Weekends ~ Depends on the person really. Some people have studied at home or at coffee shops. It's all based on what distracts or what motivates you.

2. Audio/Video ~ Video, not yet but that's really not necessary because all that is presented in class is on powerpoint slides which are posted online. Recordings of the lecture as well as prerecorded lectures by some professors are also online. However, for certain students they'll find that certain classes you just can't miss.

3. Students either go home for lunch (if they live nearby), bring a lunch and eat in the lunch room or buy lunch at the cafeteria at Sentara.

4. I'm not sure about the average Step 1 scores actually. I've heard that they're consistently above the national average and most people 97-98% pass, however don't quote me on that.

5. I think that depends on the size of your class, but class sizes tend to remain consistent over the years. This year, we have 5 per cadaver which is perfect as there are two sides of the body to work on. And yes, you have to dissect both sides.

6. I'm only a first year, so I can't speak for 2nd year. 1st year so far, exams have been weekly.

7. I'll rephrase this question as in the current context I feel that people might find it offensive. Rephrase: How do I like EVMS?

When looking at schools, I wanted to find out how much the students liked the school, how well the school prepared students for the USMLE and residency, and of course, what the surrounding area is like. Having grown up and went to school in California, I wanted something different so I gave up the California schools for a change in scenery. Do I like EVMS? Yes indeed. Regrets? None so far and no I don't feel disadvantaged. I say this with honesty as I have some classmates who went to their state schools in the south and they don't feel their schools are preparing them adequately for the USMLEs. I, on the other hand, do not feel that way and I feel sufficiently challenged by the coursework here.

EVMS is a relatively small school and is relatively new but EVMS does not have a small reputation. Keep in mind that it's not a big school and it's not going to have the size of the student body that you find, say at Stanford (student body of 15,000). If you are looking for a big school feel, then I might consider elsewhere. However you'll soon see that the reputation does not play the same role in med school as it would in undergrad or other types of grad schools. In deciding on a med school, it's important that you find a place where you want to be and go to an environment that is conducive of hard work.

Hope that helps.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In addendum to my fine colleague's statements, I only want to add that I am indeed a very late night studier and have no problems at EVMS. Although the library proper shuts down at midnight, the computer lab is open 24/7, so you can either just stay in there all the time or migrate down when the rest of the library closes. Also, the security guards will open any room in the building for you to study in, so you could take a lecture hall or seminar room on multiple floors. There's also a security escort service if you want it when you leave campus late.
 
i just got accepted a few days ago. i'm OOS from cali. i love the school, hate the tuition, excited as hell.
 
I'll be starting at EVMS next year. I actually deferred admission for a year, taking this year to do some volunteer work in South America and hopefully learn spanish 🙂
 
Hi all - I am not sure how the EVMS M.D. application cycle is looking, but I just found out that I will be attending the P.A. program there starting in January...so if any of you M.D. folks are looking for a roommate and would consider rooming with a lowly P.A. student, drop me a line and maybe we can set something up! From what I have seen, I would really like to share a two bedroom with someone in Pembroke Towers - these seem to be a good value, look nice, and are right across the street from school...
Anyway, I will be very much focused on school (as I am sure you will be), but I am young single guy and definitely looking to enjoy myself a bit while in Norfolk, so I guess I am looking for someone with that same mindset..no socially-challenged "gunner" types, please! Anyway, I am a very clean and laid-back roommate and will have a nice sofa and 36" LCD TV to contribute to the living room situation...as well as my pride and joy, my stainless-steel danby kegerator - perfect after a long day of studying..so if anyone is interested, just private-message me and let me know..thanks, and good luck to you all - see you around!
 
Hey guys! I have been accepted into the Class of 2013 as well! EVMS is probably not the best fit for me, but I'm waiting for financial aid packages to come out before I make any final decisions. I'm so excited to have been offered a seat here!
 
I was recently accepted to EVMS and I am 99% sure that I will be attending. I am from and currently live in Virginia Beach, but I am definitely going to be trying to move to Ghent to be close to school. Not sure exactly when I am looking to move out there, but there are some pretty nice 3-4 br houses that are reasonably priced.

I am a fairly laid back single male and being from the area, I should be able to find a pretty sweet place at a decent price.
If you will be or are currently attending EVMS and would want to talk about checking out some places before august, PM me and we will see what we can find.
 
Heya! Congrats!

k, to answer your questions:

1. Weekdays ~ If you study past the library's close time, you should go to sleep. Seriously rest is important. However if you do find yourself studying past the library close time... the school has other non library places where you can study. The school remains open 24 hrs a day.

Weekends ~ Depends on the person really. Some people have studied at home or at coffee shops. It's all based on what distracts or what motivates you.

2. Audio/Video ~ Video, not yet but that's really not necessary because all that is presented in class is on powerpoint slides which are posted online. Recordings of the lecture as well as prerecorded lectures by some professors are also online. However, for certain students they'll find that certain classes you just can't miss.

3. Students either go home for lunch (if they live nearby), bring a lunch and eat in the lunch room or buy lunch at the cafeteria at Sentara.

4. I'm not sure about the average Step 1 scores actually. I've heard that they're consistently above the national average and most people 97-98% pass, however don't quote me on that.

5. I think that depends on the size of your class, but class sizes tend to remain consistent over the years. This year, we have 5 per cadaver which is perfect as there are two sides of the body to work on. And yes, you have to dissect both sides.

6. I'm only a first year, so I can't speak for 2nd year. 1st year so far, exams have been weekly.

7. I'll rephrase this question as in the current context I feel that people might find it offensive. Rephrase: How do I like EVMS?

When looking at schools, I wanted to find out how much the students liked the school, how well the school prepared students for the USMLE and residency, and of course, what the surrounding area is like. Having grown up and went to school in California, I wanted something different so I gave up the California schools for a change in scenery. Do I like EVMS? Yes indeed. Regrets? None so far and no I don't feel disadvantaged. I say this with honesty as I have some classmates who went to their state schools in the south and they don't feel their schools are preparing them adequately for the USMLEs. I, on the other hand, do not feel that way and I feel sufficiently challenged by the coursework here.

EVMS is a relatively small school and is relatively new but EVMS does not have a small reputation. Keep in mind that it's not a big school and it's not going to have the size of the student body that you find, say at Stanford (student body of 15,000). If you are looking for a big school feel, then I might consider elsewhere. However you'll soon see that the reputation does not play the same role in med school as it would in undergrad or other types of grad schools. In deciding on a med school, it's important that you find a place where you want to be and go to an environment that is conducive of hard work.

Hope that helps.

Well said. I agree. 🙂
 
This is random since I don't go to EVMS but I will add a little plug for them. I interviewed and was accepted at EVMS, and while I went in not knowing much about the school (and therefore didn't really have any particular expectations), I was certainly impressed by my visit.

The students there seemed like great people (and I stayed with student hosts who were more than accommodating and extremely friendly). The area I thought was nice . . . enough "inner city" environment to allow for a diverse patient population, but also not too far from the beach.

In the end, the only thing I didn't like about EVMS was the class/test schedule, although I'm sure everyone has their own preferences and some people prefer that kind of schedule (that's not to say this was the only factor in considering schools . . . my decision process was much more complex than this).

Overall I have to say EVMS is a pretty great school I thought, and like I said, great people too. You realize as time goes by in medical school how important it is to have good classmates.


Edit: And I remember someone (I think Haemulon) saying that the professors there are fantastic at scheduling plenty of time to help, including friday night review session and such. It helps to know the faculty are there to help you learn.
 
I saw on threads from previous years that financial aid packages from EVMS don't come out until JULY/AUGUST!?!? Is this true? If so, wouldn't it be tough to pick schools without knowing whether or not they're going to help you out financially...?

For anyone who has ANY helpful/interesting info about financial aid and scholarships from EVMS, it would be really nice to hear from you 🙂
 
Hi, I'm also a deferred matriculant into the 2013 class.

Anyone know when a good time to look for a place to live is? And around what time of the year I should start freaking out? I've been traveling around the country doing some service with AmeriCorps and I need to set aside time on my schedule to make it back to VA...
 
With regards to housing, most places won't take applications until a month or two before. If I were you, I'd decide first when you want to move to the area and then count two months before you plan to move and that should be the time you start looking for places/submitting applications.

There are plenty of places in the area around the school and farther away from the school. Lots of prices from cheap to very gaudy and expensive.

I'm currently an M1 but because I'm an MD/MPH student I'll be part of the class of 2013 =) Hope to see you all soon! g'luck with the rest of the application cycle.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed at EVMS in mid Novemeber and was told that a decision would be made in about 2 weeks. It is now a month later and I still have heard nothing. Does this mean I am in some kind of limbo pool? Do only the accepted students hear in 2 weeks?
 
I interviewed at EVMS in mid Novemeber and was told that a decision would be made in about 2 weeks. It is now a month later and I still have heard nothing. Does this mean I am in some kind of limbo pool? Do only the accepted students hear in 2 weeks?

Your decision has probably been delayed because of the holidays or your interviewers couldn't make it to the adcom meeting. I'm pretty sure they let you know the outcome as soon as the decision is made (acceptance/waitlist/rejection). I don't think they string you along.

I'll cross my fingers for you! :xf: :luck:
 
I saw on threads from previous years that financial aid packages from EVMS don't come out until JULY/AUGUST!?!? Is this true? If so, wouldn't it be tough to pick schools without knowing whether or not they're going to help you out financially...?

For anyone who has ANY helpful/interesting info about financial aid and scholarships from EVMS, it would be really nice to hear from you 🙂

anyone?
 
Yes, that is true unless EVMS's financial aid office gets the ball rolling early this year. I believe most people got their packages all the way up until school starts.
 
Hi everybody...

waiting to hear back whether or not I am accepted... I only interviewed a week and a half ago, but I'm considering calling before Christmas...

How long did it take for you all to hear back?

Let me know

Steve
 
hi Steve. It typically takes the admissions office about 2 weeks to decide but that differs from person to person depending on how quickly your interviewers submit their decisions. EVMS is currently on Christmas break so I wouldn't expect any decisions to be made right now nor do I expect anyone to answer the phone =(
 
Hi All and Happy New Year,

I am a waitlist candidate with high hopes. Just thought I would throw a hello out to everyone. I interviewed on Halloween and got the waitlist letter after about 4 weeks. I talked to a dean there and maintain high hopes. I do like the school and the students there. Hopefully I will hear some good news. Still have some interviews in the near future. Anyway, feel free to send a message.😀
 
Last edited:
Greetings...

So, I interviewed in December, and just found out that I am on the waitlist...

Better than being rejected, but still kind of a bummer...

Anyway, I just wanted to find out if anyone knows the amount of students that have, in the past, made it off the waitlist and what time of year they knew? I am on the upper third of the waitlist, but am still curious if I have a chance and when I would know...

If anyone has had a similar experience, I would LOVE to know...

Thanks!

Steve
 
Greetings...

So, I interviewed in December, and just found out that I am on the waitlist...

Better than being rejected, but still kind of a bummer...

Anyway, I just wanted to find out if anyone knows the amount of students that have, in the past, made it off the waitlist and what time of year they knew? I am on the upper third of the waitlist, but am still curious if I have a chance and when I would know...

If anyone has had a similar experience, I would LOVE to know...

Thanks!

Steve

Are you IS or OOS? Are you in the top/middle/bottom 1/3 of the waitlist? I hear that the OOS waitlist has quite a bit of movement but the IS waitlist has very little movement.

Good luck! :luck:
 
Are you IS or OOS? Are you in the top/middle/bottom 1/3 of the waitlist? I hear that the OOS waitlist has quite a bit of movement but the IS waitlist has very little movement.

Good luck! :luck:

Hey Chad - Thanks for responding...

I'm actually OOS - California (After posting on sdnetwork for a while, I just found out TODAY what OOS actually means! haha!!!!)

Anyway, that's it... you?
 
Hey Chad - Thanks for responding...

I'm actually OOS - California (After posting on sdnetwork for a while, I just found out TODAY what OOS actually means! haha!!!!)

Anyway, that's it... you?

No problem. Glad you were able to decipher my response. 😉 I'm in-state and I've already been offered an acceptance, but I most likely will not be attending... I prefer schools in a more urban setting with the "larger university" feel to it.
 
Hello again,

Jst got my packet in the mail today...Finally got my acceptance and I am stoked. I was on the waitlist as an IS student. Non-Trad here, so I think it will be my type of place. Still have another interview in 2 weeks at another in-state school so we will see. Hope to meet some of you soon.
 
I got a letter in the mail yesterday saying that I am on the waitlist and at the bottom I had a note from Dr. Solhaug that I need to schedule a phone interview with him, I wonder what kind of interview it will be! Has anyone had the similar experience?
 
The phone interview wasn't bad. He basically explains the waitlist process to you. With me he spoke about my tangibles (Grades and MCAT) and my intangibles (work experience, volunteer experience, etc.) It was really cool and he is a really nice guy. It might be something that is dependent on who is being called. Hope that helps.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll be there. During that weekend I need to convince my girlfriend that Norfolk may be a nice place to call home for four years. I hope it won't be to difficult.
 
I had the same reservations about coming to EVMS at first as well whether I'd be able to adjust to the different environment. It takes sometime to get used to but you'll be fine. It's more of culture shock coming from California than from other places here on the east coast. BUT Norfolk itself is great and people are nice.
 
hey all, i know we are moving closer and closer to the end of interview season, and everyone will be making decisions about where you will end up going. So, I just wanted to say as I am committed to attending EVMS, I have found some really awesome places to live in ghent, one house in particular, short walk to evms, and it is huge and would come out to around 400 bucks a person for rent. know its tough to think about moving in with people you dont know, so hopefully we can meet at preview weekend. but this house is sweet, close and cheap, so anyone that is interested in checking it out, let me know. probably wont think about moving in until june or july so we have some time. hit me up with a pm if you want some info.
 
Are there any current students in here that would be willing to host me tomorrow night (3/10)? If so, please PM me thanks!
 
Hey guys, I'm an OOS and interviewed about a week and a half ago and found out that I'm in the upper 1/3 of the waitlist. I know that my chances of getting off the waitlist are up in the air, but does anyone have any idea of how likely it is? Also, I've heard that calling the Dean is a good idea when on the waitlist - has anyone else done this?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
I am applying this coming cycle.

I am going to be passing through the Norfolk area tomorrow (Saturday) and have about an hour to "look around" EVMS...are the buildings at the med school open to the public? Are there any apartments or neighborhoods I can look at near the school where students live? Any good lunch places near the school?

I just want to get a feel for the area.
 
The school should be open all the time. As to what you can actually see.... not much on the weekends. First you'd have to check in with the security guard at the desk and get a sticker so you can walk around. All the interesting classrooms and lecture halls will most likely be locked, but you can get a feel for Lewis Hall and the library (which is open all weekend).

There are some apartments around but since they are not affiliated with the school and most being privately owned, you'd have to drive around and see if there are any open houses. If you contact Alexander at the Ghent, they generally have walk throughs if you're interested.
 
Hey all, we have a new facebook group for the class of 2013. Let's all get connected on there and start making some new friends.
 
Hey guys, I'm an OOS and interviewed about a week and a half ago and found out that I'm in the upper 1/3 of the waitlist. I know that my chances of getting off the waitlist are up in the air, but does anyone have any idea of how likely it is? Also, I've heard that calling the Dean is a good idea when on the waitlist - has anyone else done this?

Thanks!

I would definitely recommend calling-whether you speak to the dean, Vera Potts, etc- they like to know that you're still serious about EVMS. Also, as you probably know we have Preview weekend coming up April 24 and 25, so I would suggest coming to that if you can. You never know which students may have the capacity to put in a good word for you.

Generally speaking, I think that the OOS waitlist moves a bit more than the IS, so call, send updates when you can, letter of interest/intent...Good luck to you! Don't stress out too much about it now. There isn't a lot of movement until May.
 
Hey all, we have a new facebook group for the class of 2013. Let's all get connected on there and start making some new friends.

I can't seem to find the group on Facebook... Can you send me a link for it?

Thanks!!
 
Hi everyone,

Congrats on being accepted to EVMS! I will be graduating in May and I will be selling my car. Please feel free to PM me if you're interested.

Best,
Pathd
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys,

let me know if you guys need help with housing for the upcoming year. i have 2bdr/2bath available right now for a pretty sweet deal. contact me via pm for more details.
 
Thanks Ashmar. I went to preview weekend and had a lot of fun. I have a phone interview set up with Dr. Solhaug next week. Hopefully this is a good sign of whats to come.


I would definitely recommend calling-whether you speak to the dean, Vera Potts, etc- they like to know that you're still serious about EVMS. Also, as you probably know we have Preview weekend coming up April 24 and 25, so I would suggest coming to that if you can. You never know which students may have the capacity to put in a good word for you.

Generally speaking, I think that the OOS waitlist moves a bit more than the IS, so call, send updates when you can, letter of interest/intent...Good luck to you! Don't stress out too much about it now. There isn't a lot of movement until May.