I just want to get into UNM SOM, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bad virus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I honestly can not afford to apply anywhere in terms of schools, other than my state school (University of New Mexico School of Medicine). I do not have the money to travel or apply anywhere else (almost homeless if I don't find a job soon).

<==== Click on the MDApplicant linky to get a rough summary of my stats (I just posted them and didn't read through it at all so it will be cleaned up and updated in the near future).

I have strong ties to the state and strong rec letters.

Rec letters:

1. Dean of my department (Biochemistry) also my professor for 4 classes.
2. Professor I did research under/took pharmacology classes with.
3. Pediatric physician I shadowed for 4 years
4. Orthopedic Surgeon I shadowed
5. My manager at the university tutoring center where I tutored chem/bio for the BA/MD's for the last 3 years.

What worries me is the M for my writing sample, my left hand was jacked up and splinted and so I could only type with one hand and didn't have enough time.

Thank you guys in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

UNew Mexico takes very few out of staters. I would assume you were a resident, but it's odd you'd make the comment about "strong in-state ties", which is a phrase often used by out of state applicants.

Considering New Mexico's mean GPA is 3.7 and mean MCAT is 28, you'll easily meet the screening cut offs with your GPA and outstanding MCAT score of 37. Don't worry about the writing score. It will not be regarded considering your verbal score of 10. Your ECs are very strong in leadership and humanitarian work. You were not specific enough about time involved with clinical exposure and research to say they meet expectations, but I'll assume they're at least average. The shadowing sounds good, as it was varied. Assuming you interview well and have a good Personal Statement, considering your strong letters, if you're in-state, you should have an excellent chance of an admission. If you're not, you still have a good chance.

Applying this late in the cycle, and to only one school, doesn't help you, and keeps me from saying you're a shoo-in. On the other hand, I didn't have my transcripts certified until early November, and I still got an acceptance with a lower MCAT than yours.

Last edited:
I honestly can not afford to apply anywhere in terms of schools, other than my state school (University of New Mexico School of Medicine). I do not have the money to travel or apply anywhere else (almost homeless if I don't find a job soon).

<==== Click on the MDApplicant linky to get a rough summary of my stats (I just posted them and didn't read through it at all so it will be cleaned up and updated in the near future).

I have strong ties to the state and strong rec letters.

Rec letters:

1. Dean of my department (Biochemistry) also my professor for 4 classes.
2. Professor I did research under/took pharmacology classes with.
3. Pediatric physician I shadowed for 4 years
4. Orthopedic Surgeon I shadowed
5. My manager at the university tutoring center where I tutored chem/bio for the BA/MD's for the last 3 years.

What worries me is the M for my writing sample, my left hand was jacked up and splinted and so I could only type with one hand and didn't have enough time.

Thank you guys in advance.

It is his state school, Mobius :)

With all that in mind, unless you have some disastrous interview or unless they've filled all of their seats by the time you interview, I should think you stand an excellent chance of acceptance. For you, applying late is probably going to be what holds you back if anything.

Also, I'm not sure, but seeing as this is the only school you're applying to, it might not hurt to send them a letter of intent even pre-interview, explaining your unique situation; for once, an adcom would definitely have to concede that you are serious when you say that they are your "number one school" :) Not sure if this is the kind of thing that would help you or not, but it's at least something you could at least think about trying. Considering this is your one hope of acceptance, I don't see why you shouldn't just pull out all the stops and do everything humanly possible to grab the attention of the admissions office.

Anyone else have any opinions on whether a LOIntent would be appropriate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else have any opinions on whether a LOIntent would be appropriate?

As a cautionary note: OP, if you are URM by AMCAS definition, you'd be a strong candidate for a scholarship. If the school is sure you will attend, because you sent a letter of intent, possibly they won't feel it necessary to offer a financial inducement. If the school doesn't offer scholarships, my thought would not apply.

Wow guys, thanks for the replies.

Some great advice here.

I was supposed to take the MCAT in May, but really didn't have the time because I was working two jobs during my last semester. Long story short, I was supporting my family financially. They still need support and even though I recieved the FAP, I really won't apply to the other schools, because I know I can't afford to fly or drive over for an interview.

To answer some questions, UNM is my state school (I am a resident). It is important for UNM that you have really strong ties to the state, even if you are a resident (as in most of your family lives in NM or you speak spanish etc...). I do fall under the URM from amcas perspective. I am also severly financially disadvantaged.

I feel horrible because I am not naturally lazy, but that is what it looks like applying so late (I just never had the time to do it). Anyway, I thank you guys for your time, I really do appreciate it.

I will be checking in for more tips if you guys have any and I will start updating my profile soon and letting you guys know my progress.

Well, I just talked to mobius and he said I should check out some schools near me that I may be to go to for an interview.

Any suggestions, based on my stats and that I live in New Mexico?

Texas, Colorado, Arizona, and maybe cali oklahoma, nevad and utah.

I know Texas would probably be a waste of time; they have a completely different application service (TMDSAS) that you would have to fill out, and it was due on October 1.

If it is free due to the Fee Assistance, apply to as many as you can. The applications will take awhile and you can defer interviewing at them until you hear back from New Mexico. If you hear negatively from them, then you can pull out all the stops to scrounge up whatever money you need.

If really in doubt, talk to your family, the doctor you shadowed for awhile, and even your professors. They might be able to help you financially to interview.

If it is free due to the Fee Assistance, apply to as many as you can. The applications will take awhile and you can defer interviewing at them until you hear back from New Mexico. If you hear negatively from them, then you can pull out all the stops to scrounge up whatever money you need.

If really in doubt, talk to your family, the doctor you shadowed for awhile, and even your professors. They might be able to help you financially to interview.

Not to sound ignorant, but i had no clue you could defer interviews. Thanks :love:

Any suggestions, based on my stats and that I live in New Mexico?

Texas, Colorado, Arizona, and maybe cali oklahoma, nevad and utah.

Doing some research, it looks like Arizona and Oklahoma take very few OOSers, but Colorado, Nevada, and Utah would be good choices.

I believe Baylor in Texas is the only Texas school that uses AMCAS, so you could try there too. Be sure to check on deadlines that all these schools have.

California schools are pretty tough for OOSers, the only exception being Loma Linda.

Your stats put you within reach of any of these schools.