You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
My Chances Of Getting Into MD Or DO
Started by NeelBansal12
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Stats are fine for DO, but weak for MD.
Getting into medical school is 100% on you.
Fill out a WAMC template and we can advise better.
No Adcom member is going to have any familiarity with your Business degree program.
Getting into medical school is 100% on you.
Fill out a WAMC template and we can advise better.
No Adcom member is going to have any familiarity with your Business degree program.
You should post one thread, not two. I think the mods will take care of that.
Plus, you should have posted this in the WAMC forum, using their template.
Extremely tough will help you only minimally, if at all, unfortunately.
A breakdown of your online and in-person volunteer hours would be helpful
If you don't have MSAR, you should invest the small amount it costs. This will tell you what the median (and 10/25/75/90 percentile) GPA + MCAT scores for each medical school. You'll have to investigate.
You can use the LizzyM calculator to figure out what your overall chances might be. GPA might be a tad low for many schools, as is the MCAT, but you're definitely ok for DO.
Plus, you should have posted this in the WAMC forum, using their template.
Keep in mind I got a business degree in a extremely tough program and a 3.43 in that program is better than most.
Extremely tough will help you only minimally, if at all, unfortunately.
A breakdown of your online and in-person volunteer hours would be helpful
If you don't have MSAR, you should invest the small amount it costs. This will tell you what the median (and 10/25/75/90 percentile) GPA + MCAT scores for each medical school. You'll have to investigate.
You can use the LizzyM calculator to figure out what your overall chances might be. GPA might be a tad low for many schools, as is the MCAT, but you're definitely ok for DO.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was a business major during undergrad- I don't think the difficulty of that major or program will have a positive or negative impact on your application: aka the rigor of your major will not be grasped and all that adcoms will see and compare is your gpa. That being said, that major gives you a lot of room to leverage unique experiences and perspectives which I think are very valuable. I'm sure that applies to most non-traditional majors but business in particular gives you some deep insight into how the healthcare system functions from a operational, financial, and overall holistic perspective. I think that can be really interesting to talk about and discuss in interviews and essays especially if it ties in to your reasons for pursuing medicine, and I think was def a huge factor in my interviews this cycle.
Below is the template you should complete but don’t put it in this thread/ forum. There is a WAMC forum that is very informative.
forums.studentdoctor.net
Also what are those 800 volunteer hours? Clinical, non-clinical? You have enough shadowing so if some of that 200 hours is with a primary care doc stop,shadowing and fill in other holes on your application.
*~*~*~*IMPORTANT: How to Format Your WAMC Thread for Optimal Results and More!!*~*~*~*
Hello, and welcome to the What Are My Chances (WAMC) forum. The purpose of this forum is to Post threads about your chances of acceptance to MD and/or DO schools Have your school list critiqued and modified by other members of SDN Determine how to strengthen your current application General...
Also what are those 800 volunteer hours? Clinical, non-clinical? You have enough shadowing so if some of that 200 hours is with a primary care doc stop,shadowing and fill in other holes on your application.
NeelBansal12
New Member
200 hours where through hospice going in 4 times a week to talk to people and help them around there roomBelow is the template you should complete but don’t put it in this thread/ forum. There is a WAMC forum that is very informative.
![]()
*~*~*~*IMPORTANT: How to Format Your WAMC Thread for Optimal Results and More!!*~*~*~*
Hello, and welcome to the What Are My Chances (WAMC) forum. The purpose of this forum is to Post threads about your chances of acceptance to MD and/or DO schools Have your school list critiqued and modified by other members of SDN Determine how to strengthen your current application General...forums.studentdoctor.net
Also what are those 800 volunteer hours? Clinical, non-clinical? You have enough shadowing so if some of that 200 hours is with a primary care doc stop,shadowing and fill in other holes on your application.
200 hours where through a school for special needs kids I did everything from change diapers to actually teaching
100 hours where volunteer in a lab for autism research
Research Hours- 100+ as a paid clinician
300 hours as the head of narcan training for the dallas area through drews 27 chains it is probably way more than that for hours. I was training professors students traveling to events etc. I would think those would be clinical.
Drews 27 chains is the big one for me I spent alot of time and energy with that organization and still do to this day.
To WAMC.
Apply to all your TMDSAS MD and Do schools and you should receive interviews. For AMCAS MD schools you could try TCU and Tulane. Als oapply to several more DO schools and I suggest these:
UIWSOM
OSU-COM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
ACOM
DMU-COM
PCOM
UIWSOM
OSU-COM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
ACOM
DMU-COM
PCOM
Is there a template? Why do you want to make this change? Why not pursue healthcare administration?
NeelBansal12
New Member
I have been involved with the complex care community for many years. Since I was roughly 8 years old. Complex care is children with rare syndromes like Cornelia de lang basically the special needs community. I originally wanted to do special education but then changed to business. I shadowed a complex care doctor and I became hooked I want to help the kids to live a normal life and help the parents. So thats why I want to go into medicine. There are alot more reasons but thats one of my main reasons.Is there a template? Why do you want to make this change? Why not pursue healthcare administration?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 723