Dental School Crybabies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canada5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is this student in my class that somehow manages to cry her way out of failing exams, practicals and competencies. Please tell me that this pathetic behavior is not common to all schools.

Members don't see this ad.

One girl started crying and explaining that she went on a trip with her bf the weekend before and was not prepared for the test. The test was pushed back 2 more days. The rest of us were ready that day. Awesome.

:diebanana:

happens all the time. and at almost every school

Members don't see this ad :)
At UoP once a test/practical is over, it would take nothing short of an act of god to get any professor to change anything (Unless there's something obviously wrong, like an entire answer choice left off or a question with no right answers).

People do whine a lot though, which I would expect at every dental school. Tears aren't uncommon following the first couple of practicals in 1st year but after that most people's skin seems to toughen up.

I am not in my first year. And this happens on at least a weekly basis. But somehow it is never that persons fault, but some unfortunate bull crap circumstance. I am ashamed to be the same gender as this person not to mention in professional school with them.

******* people in my class lie about being religious so that they can take advantage of the religious holidays. However, being a cry baby is even worse. Well, I guess that's just the way the world works +pissed+

I know that this definately happens at my school. After our first amalgam test last semester nearly everyone failed and one girl stated crying about her grade and got it changed to a passing grade. Crap!!!! but what can we do about it nothing.:smuggrin:

i've seen girls do one of two things while our prof is grading their practicals:

1) flirt like no other

2) cry

Its ridiculous.

i've seen girls do one of two things while our prof is grading their practicals:

1) flirt like no other

2) cry

Its ridiculous.

I haven't seen any crying, wouldn't be at all surprised if it goes on. But we were meeting our future clinic directors the other day and most girls were rockin the short skirts. I noticed one girl in a pants suit and asked if she was going for a more professional angle. She responded, "No, my director is gay. I'm not going to waste the effort!" :eek: Good news is most directors seem keen enough to see through the BS.

I haven't seen any crying, wouldn't be at all surprised if it goes on. But we were meeting our future clinic directors the other day and most girls were rockin the short skirts. I noticed one girl in a pants suit and asked if she was going for a more professional angle. She responded, "No, my director is gay. I'm not going to waste the effort!" :eek: Good news is most directors seem keen enough to see through the BS.

And some profs might even take the bait and take advantage, who knows?

This kind crying always goes on everywhere. Back in my PhD days I had a mentor who were clearly preferential to his female students, giving them free authorships, sure-fire experiments, choice projects, etc. My advice is to basically tune this out, because frankly there is nothing to be done. Best to just keep your attention to your own performance and not worry about it.

And some profs might even take the bait and take advantage, who knows?

This kind crying always goes on everywhere. Back in my PhD days I had a mentor who were clearly preferential to his female students, giving them free authorships, sure-fire experiments, choice projects, etc. My advice is to basically tune this out, because frankly there is nothing to be done. Best to just keep your attention to your own performance and not worry about it.

Totally agree. I figured this out in preclinicals last year and never looked back. Makes class much more enjoyable and you can meet like-minded people.

No they're not. You would hope thats the case but I bet you'll be a little disappointed. When I was in school their were several young ladies who would break the dress code pretty much on a daily bases, you know wear tank tops to class and stuff. They always had instructors gathered around them helping or even straight up doing their projects. I remember one girl who had the instructor over at her desk after he was finished with giving the lecture portion of the lab everyday and if you wanted to find him you would always go over to her desk and there was the instructor sitting in her seat doing her lab project work and she would be standing over his shoulder watching him while they made light talk.

Members don't see this ad :)
No they're not. You would hope thats the case but I bet you'll be a little disappointed. When I was in school their were several young ladies who would break the dress code pretty much on a daily bases, you know wear tank tops to class and stuff. They always had instructors gathered around them helping or even straight up doing their projects. I remember one girl who had the instructor over at her desk after he was finished with giving the lecture portion of the lab everyday and if you wanted to find him you would always go over to her desk and there was the instructor sitting in her seat doing her lab project work and she would be standing over his shoulder watching him while they made light talk.

It is an anatomical fact that most women have smaller brains. What helps me along is having my thongs exposed...........I mean the sandals. I have really nice feet.

It is an anatomical fact that most women have smaller brains. What helps me along is having my thongs exposed...........I mean the sandals. I have really nice feet.

can you post a pic of your.... feet?

Those look good enough to lick melted caramel off of.:thumbup:

Which school do you attend?

There is this student in my class that somehow manages to cry her way out of failing exams, practicals and competencies. Please tell me that this pathetic behavior is not common to all schools.

I'm surprised you don't go to UDM! Your description sounds just like a girl in the DS2 class!

She must be twins with the person who goes to UDM with us! :D
I mean the crying is EPIC...its really funny though, there's endless entertainment

I am guy so I have a female classmate who will be my designated cryer for failing practicals.

While the posts so far haven't really revealed enough information to identify any particular individuals at these schools, please remember to respect the privacy of your fellow classmates. SDN isn't the place for for posting defamatory or slanderous remarks.

i havent seen any tears yet but there must be people in our class that complain and whine enough that we get tests moved, and competencies cancelled all the time. It is pretty amazing how many things our class has gotten out of doing. It ends up being easier on us all but I thought we would be treated like/act like adults here and live up to what we are assigned to do but that is not the case. if people think it is too much they complain and some how it gets changed. but whatever

"there's no crying in dental school!"

Yup. I was rather surprised, but it happens. Although, I highly doubt any grades were changed.

I got a failing grade changed to a passing grade for the following reason. The grade sheet said my inter-proximal contact point was too heavy. When I looked, I had no contact. I showed this to my row instructor and said, "I get that I failed, but I think they marked this down wrong, what do you think?" She told me to talk to the course director who looked at it for a solid two minutes. I told him that I was not whining about the failing grade but that I was just wondering if I was missing something since I probably should have failed for the exact opposite. He changed it and I passed. Sweet.

Dental school is hard and crying won't change that so just suck it up and move on and do better the next time.

I got a failing grade changed to a passing grade for the following reason. The grade sheet said my inter-proximal contact point was too heavy. When I looked, I had no contact. I showed this to my row instructor and said, "I get that I failed, but I think they marked this down wrong, what do you think?" She told me to talk to the course director who looked at it for a solid two minutes. I told him that I was not whining about the failing grade but that I was just wondering if I was missing something since I probably should have failed for the exact opposite. He changed it and I passed. Sweet.

The way it should be done. With no tears and thanks for manning up.

What I get tired of is not so much the cry babies after exams/practicals, it is the everyday pre-clinic/clinic work where one classmate in particular is constantly pulling in a professor here and there complaining whe doesn't know how to do or just can't figure how to do something. The profs come in and complete that students work and give them an A for work they did not do themselves. It would be different if this was a once in a blue moon thign, but it is almost EVERY DAY. If the student would actually spend as much time practicing the skills as they do whining about not being able to do the skills, they probably would be at least proficient enough to be a competent dentist instead of me feeling scared for the students patients in the clinic right now and the future patients.

Plus, by getting the work done by the profs and getting the A's, the student is in the top 10% of the class. I could care less about how the class rank affects me, but I care about how it affects others in the class who actually deserve to be there and are not because of this student. I guess being good looking and having boobs can help you out. Maybe I should get a sex change?

If I had a nice rack and some big pouty eyes and lips, I would have straight A's. Yeah, we have three of those in our class. I have watched a prof bring a 55 up to a 70 just from tears and cleavage.

Someone in our school got caught cheating, but his daddy is alumni so they both cried to the school. Needless to say he was off the hook

If I had a nice rack and some big pouty eyes and lips, I would have straight A's. Yeah, we have three of those in our class. I have watched a prof bring a 55 up to a 70 just from tears and cleavage.

If you had that you'd fail out of dental school because you'd miss so much class from spending all you time at home in the mirror.

I figured I'd try a little "sex" appeal with some of my profs, females that is. Someone said something about shoving a pair of socks down my pants. So I found the biggest pair of thick winter socks I had in my drawer and placed them down the back of my pants. I can't figure it out....all I keep getting is weird looks as they walk off laughing?? Do you think I'm doing something wrong??

Lol :D Sorry I couldn't resist.

If you had that you'd fail out of dental school because you'd miss so much class from spending all you time at home in the mirror.

I thought you were gonna say "If you had that [nice rack] you'd fail out of dental school because they'd get in the way of drilling."

I thought you were gonna say "If you had that [nice rack] you'd fail out of dental school because they'd get in the way of drilling."

Or...because you'd be fondling yourself incessantly...

I figured I'd try a little "sex" appeal with some of my profs, females that is. Someone said something about shoving a pair of socks down my pants. So I found the biggest pair of thick winter socks I had in my drawer and placed them down the back of my pants. I can't figure it out....all I keep getting is weird looks as they walk off laughing?? Do you think I'm doing something wrong??

Lol :D Sorry I couldn't resist.

You've got a strange sense of humor bro. :thumbup: