Is it ok to be a Finance major, 29 P MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gobieater1386

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am going to be applying to med school in June for 2010. I am a Finance and Econmics Major (both BBA's-Bachelors in Buisness Adm) and have a minor in chemistry. I've heard that having a BBA could hurt my chances in getting into medical school, i was wondering how accurate that is. I got a 29P on my MCAT (11 ps, 9 v, 9 bs) I have 1 year of reasearch experience at a university hospital and hope to get a publication, and hopefully i will be doing some organic chem research next semster. I live in Florida, I have a 3.75 overall GPA and 3.61 -science....how are my chances? Oh and im going to graduate next yr, and i have two options: either become a teacher (High school chemistry in a bad area of town) or a research coordinator. Which is better? Thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I vote for research coordinator---I would even look to see if you could get something that is more clinically applicable.

I have a friend who is applying and he's an accounting major. I believe he told me that it is okay to have a business like major, but you have to explain why you chose that major and why medicine. I haven't heard anything about certain majors being detrimental for applying.

For your last question, I think you should do the one you enjoy most. Both of your choices have positives about them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Med schools don't care what your major is. They care that you have a high GPA and do especially well on the prerequisites. Your GPA is very good. Your MCAT is below the mean of accepted students (and you could consider retaking to improve your chances, considering you have some extra time to try to improve the score). The better option for a job after graduation is the one you feel the most passionate about, as you'll have sufficient research credentials already, when you apply.

Last edited:
I'd mostly agree that the "major doesn't matter" as my degrees are finance/economics too. A consideration is how you will position your degrees in light of where you want to go (med school); this is simpler if you've graduated many years earlier as you can explain how you came to change your mind about your career, but if you have recently studied studying CAPM, NPV, and international trade theory but want to be a doctor, I'd envision some med admissions folks would be a bit confused.

Suggestion to strengthen your app is to take a handful of add'l, advanced bio/med related courses, gain lots MORE clinical experience, and then explain what made you change your mind to pursue medicine. I feel that stressing business admin (managing a process, an office, etc) is more relevant than finance/econ.

Thanks for all the replies, I actually changed to pre-med just a yr and a half ago, I was too far along in my degrees when i decided to change so i decided to finish the 2 degrees but added the pre med classes. I always thought of becoming a doctor but i didnt actually go for it until i got in a bad car accident and ended up breaking quite a few bones (C2-C3 veterbrae) and then i realized that i shouldnt let time get int he way of something if i want to do it. So, i will explain that, in my personal statment...i was just hoping that i wouldnt have to re-take that MCAT if I apply to like 30 schools, it was such a pain studying for it!